ToR Needs to be F2P

dljschneider

Turbine has been creating more content faster now then they did before LOTRO went free to play. They also been making more money now then before free to play, and before the free to play they had around 300,000 subscribers. SWTOR will be lucky to have that many subscribers by the end of year going by what we are seeing now.

They need an expansion for a new 10 lvls and people will return with perks to return to the game with options such as replaying class stories for thier characters all modified for lvl 50 play to recapp and other possible rewards for returning to swtor.

edit: I forgot to mention also for the new expansion they should crash the fleets for both republic and empire and have an all out war with planets that are set up for open world pvp as well including the planets where the the fleets would crash onto, or maybe one of them is destroyed and the other crashes onto a planet... however there are no restrictions to any planets and there is an all out war.

Since drops in play are seasonal to what people feel is worth thier time content wise.

The problem is a lot of those people are end gamers, and not alt players, and therefore the end game was not enough to keep them playing or jsutifiable for them to play it again for alts.

Therefore swtor needs more end game and side content features like multi player games and overall the game will be great and justify the time to reroll a character in a more developed game.

Which means when content like space pvp, pazaak, holo chess, swoop racing, open world pvp, and possibly player houses/guild castles are made available then people will come back but also stay longer.

As mentioned the reason why people left early was of course the little end game that existed, but the actual end game that was missing was the open world pvp, living world feel, and complex crafting that required pvp as well. Had they had this from release then people would have stayed to play longer, and if this game had an actual hybrid system that integrated player housing with sieging, and player/guild cities in a theme park game then people will be a lot more invested into this game.

BW devs have set themselves up to play catch up with a self made engine, in a genre of wow clones which are doomed to fail due to not being as good as the original with more content, and better optimization that WoW has. Thier goal should have been to differentiate enough from WoW and not just with cinematics and VO.

So imo, the populaions will never drop to 300k. There is a lot swtor can offer, and it needs time, which is kind of the problem as well if they spend too much time trying to make the right game as well. But still there is a chance to be very sucessful.

Edited by VegaPhone

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No expansion out yet for SWTOR so are you a psychic ? Since you already seems to know that expansions will cost money.

Two letters: EA.

Guaranteed paid expansions... because WoW did it, and according to the devs, they're emulating WoW.

NO---no f2p. If you can't afford the 14.99 a month then go somewhere else. The last game that I played which was monthly went f2p is massive mess of crap (DCUO). I have a lifetime account with that game and haven't been back to it in 6 months because the quality of updates and the game is horrible. I know SWTOR is very slow with their updates and meeting the needs of the community but no way do I want them to go F2P.

I think TOR needs to be B2P.

Buy the box. Buy new flashpoints, but new warzones, buy new class story chains. They need to sell PVE/PVP/MISSION packs that contain these things, and rewards appropriate to completing the content in those packs. They should never sell individual pieces of gear, and features like LFG, new UI features, guild tools, etc. need to be free.

Then you're only paying for the content you want to do instead of paying monthly for years for 7 class stories you have no intention of ever seeing.

It is just not a good use of development resources to continue providing class stories for every class to every player in any significant quantity (at 50 the class story is about 15% of unique content). You're basically creating content only a fraction of your player base will ever see because they are not the correct class..

Edited by Gungan

I have never been a fan of the F2P model nor am I now. This game is still far from needing to move from P2P. However, a drastic reduction in monthly cost is not a bad idea. $7.50 or even $5 a month would assist BW in keeping the lights on and may entice a few more folks back until things get sorted (if they ever do).

MT stores are the bane of MMOs existence imho. Granted they are a good idea for cosmetics/vanity items, but content needs to be supported by a sub so a company can maintain a regular work force.

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

And just incase you still dont get it... HELL NO

Thank God, I see a lot of rational people screaming "NO!" to this concept. Free to play just means a plethora of micro-transactions which is the death knell of the true MMO. If you aren't willing to pay a subscription, just quit the game. Anything GOOD is worth paying a subscription fee for (your broadband internet, electricity, running water). Games that are outdated are welcome to go Free to Play (for example, I was a subscriber to City of Heroes for 3 years and I feel like I got my money's worth everyday of that three years, going back to it now and looking at the graphics and the lack of added content AFTER I quit, free to play makes sense). Even optional subscriptions combined with Free to Play is desperation incarnate. Look at Star Trek Online: I thought I was going to live there once I heard the game was being made. Atari messed up the game by holding Cryptic back and ultimately sold it to Perfect World - who made it Free to Play with the option of subscriptions - and now the game is a freaking joke. There hasn't been new content for months, nor is there likely to be, there is no endgame to speak of, and the game itself is so dumbed down that a dribbling idiot with a railroad spike permanently imbedded in their parietal lobe could play the game. And you get charged (with REAL money) for everything - new ships, new species to play, and even certain drops (you have to buy keys to open them). Plus Perfect World (I refuse to blame Cryptic) call these new purchasable items "new content."

So "NO" to free to play! If you can't afford it or QQing about something you are too impatient to wait for the fix for or for any other reason unhappy with the game, then please quit, no one will miss you, and stop trying to ruin the game (and MMOs) for the rest of us. :w_evil:

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

And just incase you still dont get it... HELL NO

grammatically you are saying yes :D

Free to Play is too expensive for me, at least with sub base, i know i only spend that much a month.

FTP tends to be way cheaper, and staying competitive, for me. I have no problem paying $15 a month for a game that is worth it, which SWTOR is far from being worth $15 a month, at this point, $5 a month at best. So if it went FTP I would spend about $5 a month on it.

FTP tends to be way cheaper, and staying competitive, for me. I have no problem paying $15 a month for a game that is worth it, which SWTOR is far from being worth $15 a month, at this point, $5 a month at best. So if it went FTP I would spend about $5 a month on it.

When i say F2P is too expensive, i was not thinking that much about money.

Money is not a problem, could even pay double or triple of what the current fee are, no problem, i'm an engineer, i make a good living.

I will not play a free to play game, i would pay for a quality game. I like the current game status... for now.

I did clean denova HM, i'm leveling several classes and enjoy the story.

If i got bored rerolling or if there is not new content in a while, i might not be willing to waste my time but for now, i'm content.

Free to play is the worse thing that can happen. I don't want cheap, i want quality

declining pops, lack of innovation (accept single player voice overs), every patch seems to break something else, Useless "Legacy" system. i gave this game 3 months, and i think im experienced enough in MMos to compare this to a Developed F2P one. eq2 and Lotro have got it right. F2P is the way to go.

No!! Stop these threads already! Close them. I would pay more every month!! I hate micro, pay to win games!! Hate them!!

Edited by AidanLightwalker
typo

No!! Stop these threads already! Close them. I would pay more every month!! I hate micro, pay to win games!! Hate them!!

I'm pretty sure they don't like you either.

Anyway, OP. Lucasarts will not allow this game to go F2P anymore than they would allow SWG to go F2P. They'll execute this game before that.

I'm pretty sure they don't like you either.

Anyway, OP. Lucasarts will not allow this game to go F2P anymore than they would allow SWG to go F2P. They'll execute this game before that.

You have anything to back up that Lucasarts would not allow it? No, please do not say "SWG never went free to play" as your proof, that is not proof that Lucas Arts didn't allow it. I want something coming from someone that is official that stated that Lucas Arts would never let SW MMOs go free to play.

You have anything to back up that Lucasarts would not allow it? No, please do not say "SWG never went free to play" as your proof, that is not proof that Lucas Arts didn't allow it. I want something coming from someone that is official that stated that Lucas Arts would never let SW MMOs go free to play.

Insider information from an SOE dev.

Do you have proof that the future F2P model for this game will go like LOTRO and not like "Buy this Sword of Evolution" for 100 bucks, that is +100% better than whatever you can buy with ingame money? Or you have to pay at a minimum a 10 bucks premium, or you can`t get past lvl 5?

Edited by Styxx

Like most people I was a fan boy that could easily tear apart the eyes of anyone that say anything bad against this game, but sadly i'm not an altaholic, in fact i detest grinding so this game is unfortunatly not for me. I loved the combat animations and the PvP of this game, but the PvP options are too short. I just hope some day this game became F2P so I can came back.

declining pops, lack of innovation (accept single player voice overs), every patch seems to break something else, Useless "Legacy" system. i gave this game 3 months, and i think im experienced enough in MMos to compare this to a Developed F2P one. eq2 and Lotro have got it right. F2P is the way to go.

Excuse me, SWTOR blew every aspect about Lotro out the window, Lotro is NOTHING compared to swtor, swtor has been out for a very minimal amount of time, LFF & Rated WZ's in 1.3 will patch the majority of the sinkholes on the ship, when they buff up space combat, add swoop racing, arena and pazzak swtor will become the new titan of mmos.

p.s. if swtor became F2P at any time, i would uninstall.

All F2P MMO's Suck beyond comparison, and cant be compared to any non-f2p mmo simply because they suck so bad, they are the prostitutes of online gaming

Edited by Daethorz

Do you have proof that the future F2P model for this game will go like LOTRO and not like "Buy this Sword of Evolution" for 100 bucks, that is +100% better than whatever you can buy with ingame money? Or you have to pay at a minimum a 10 bucks premium, or you can`t get past lvl 5?

Did I ever say it would go with a lotro model as a fact? no. But people saying "Lucas Arts won't allow the game to go free to play" are stating it like it is a fact.

F2P does not mean the same thing it once did. There are a lot of quality F2P games now, and going F2P has saved a number of P2P MMOs from the chopping block. I wouldn't be surprised to see Blizzard's next game to launch F2P, and I wouldn't be surprised to see most MMOs converted to F2P in the next few years with the possible exception of a game like EVE that has a devoted fanbase.

Needless to say this game needs to be F2P just for sheer lack of content alone. Why would anyone pay a subscription for a game whose content you can blow through in a month and a half? The only reason I lasted as long as I did was because of rerolling alts to see their storylines and the extra free month.