ToR Needs to be F2P

dljschneider

I dont think you have played lotro or EQ2 then. i haven't seen any ad's. and yes you have to pay for expansions, but you have to pay for expansions here too. and you can lvl a char 1-50 without paying a cent for anything on lotro.

I can name a successful MMO that has a monthly sub and free yearly expansions.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

declining pops, lack of innovation (accept single player voice overs), every patch seems to break something else, Useless "Legacy" system. i gave this game 3 months, and i think im experienced enough in MMos to compare this to a Developed F2P one. eq2 and Lotro have got it right. F2P is the way to go.

You should put "Fortunetelling" on that resume alongside "Experienced MMO Player" and give it to people who care. :rolleyes:

No.

Never f2p.

SWTOR is vastly superior to any f2p game on the market currently and is a lot better than most subscription based MMO's.

It should remain as is and continue improving and growing.

That is a lie. I subscribed to that game before F2P hit and I had warden and rune-keeper. I NEVER bought Mines of Moria.

Umm no you didn't, the Warden and Rune-keeper were both part of the MoM expansion pack, and you had to buy it to play those characters.

You are quite simply wrong, and if you bother to go look it up yourself you'll see that info all the way back to 2008 lists buying the MoM expak as a requirement to play those characters.

F2P is not bad at all, as long it's not pay to win. Premium paid membership has all features anyway.

In fact the subscription model is dying. Some new MMOs even start as F2P like Otherworld.

Age of Conan is still profitable too and there are constant updates and premium expansions. STO has a lot of events and new episodic content.

TOR goes F2P sooner or later

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

+10 Troll points to you sir.

There currently isn't a single f2p game that can come even close to SWTOR.

I think all the people who post about F2P games being good having played any. The only non-subscription game I've played that is equal to SWTOR is GW. That's it - END OF STORY. Now if they're arguing that SWTOR should borrow from GW... I actually like that idea.

Oh, I hope not! I thought F2P ruined LOTRO. It turned from being this amazing world into which you could immerse yourself to the Middle Earth Mall. The community went from being a haven from the mmo world of WoW-brats to - wow-brat cast offs. Before I left, granted, it wasn't *quite* that bad, but even their foruns descended from something civilized to heading in the - well, Bioware/Blizzard direction.

This game needs to fix the empty server condition. They obviously over-estimated the player base, & believed that the influx of 'ooh, shiny!' people would stick around. The perception of failure is worse than any problem in the game - and it comes from barren servers. I don't want server mergers at all - I want something organized, so you can pick a reasonable server & settle in, but whatever they have to do, should be done soon - not in a month or a few months.

+10 Troll points to you sir.

There currently isn't a single f2p game that can come even close to SWTOR.

+10 Fanboy points to you sir.

New games like Gw2 and Firefall are better in most every way, in regards to the modern MMO

New games like Gw2 and Firefall are better in most every way, in regards to the modern MMO

The thing is GW2 isn't F2P, that's like saying Diablo 3 is F2P because Battlenet is included in the $60 purchase.

You buy it, you play it - PERIOD. That's not F2P, that's "no subscription fees." I am a huge GW fan so I'm not criticizing GW here, I'm just really detail oriented (which helps in my line of work).

I've never heard of Firefall so I will go check that one out (TY :) ) and I am trying not to get too worked up about GW2 (which is hard) because I got worked up about SWTOR...:(

declining pops, lack of innovation (accept single player voice overs), every patch seems to break something else, Useless "Legacy" system. i gave this game 3 months, and i think im experienced enough in MMos to compare this to a Developed F2P one. eq2 and Lotro have got it right. F2P is the way to go.

yus... if it was F2P i could let the crap that is this game have a second chance... i wont pay for beta.. read my sig

Freedom is never free, and even in this context "free" isn't free.

Thank you Caption Obvious :rolleyes:

Anyways, seeing how Warhammer Online is not even Free To Play at this time, I highly doubt SWTOR will ever go free to play. EA will keep running this game with a sub even if it goes down to 1 server and all they are doing is maintaining the game and nothing else.

Umm no you didn't, the Warden and Rune-keeper were both part of the MoM expansion pack, and you had to buy it to play those characters.

You are quite simply wrong, and if you bother to go look it up yourself you'll see that info all the way back to 2008 lists buying the MoM expak as a requirement to play those characters.

Sorry man, I know my wallet. I subscribed, paid my monthly fee, got my warden and my rune-keeper. Never bought Mines of Moria. Just the monthly fee.

Then F2P came. And lies started. "There won't be advantage for sale in the store, only convenience" - and then they started selling advantage. The community manager who had stated that got fired. Classes that you could play only by paying the monthly fee now require separate purchase EVEN IF YOU SUBSCRIBE.

You used to be able to recover relics from your legendary items when you reforged them. Now you have to buy a "scroll of removal" on the store or lose HUNDREDS of gameplay hours to replace the relic when you change your legendary item.

You log into the game and it's like watching a sales channel on TV. It's disgusting. It used to be a great game, now I throw up a little at the mere thought of playing it.

F2P completely kills a game, it's just a desperate move to try to cash the last dimes out of a dying game. The day they announce a game is going F2P is the day that game dies.

Now go tell your lies elsewhere, please, I've heard enough of them in Lotro.

Sorry man, I know my wallet. I subscribed, paid my monthly fee, got my warden and my rune-keeper. Never bought Mines of Moria. Just the monthly fee.

Then F2P came. And lies started. "There won't be advantage for sale in the store, only convenience" - and then they started selling advantage. The community manager who had stated that got fired. Classes that you could play only by paying the monthly fee now require separate purchase EVEN IF YOU SUBSCRIBE.

You used to be able to recover relics from your legendary items when you reforged them. Now you have to buy a "scroll of removal" on the store or lose HUNDREDS of gameplay hours to replace the relic when you change your legendary item.

You log into the game and it's like watching a sales channel on TV. It's disgusting. It used to be a great game, now I throw up a little at the mere thought of playing it.

F2P completely kills a game, it's just a desperate move to try to cash the last dimes out of a dying game. The day they announce a game is going F2P is the day that game dies.

Now go tell your lies elsewhere, please, I've heard enough of them in Lotro.

umm, no, the only way one could play Rune Keeper or the Warden is if you bought Mines of Moria. It wasn't until the game went Free to play that one was able to buy the class seperate from the expansion pack. But prior to Free to Play, you did in fact have to buy Mines of Moria to play those classes.

This article, released before the game went free to play even mentions Warden/Rune Keeper only for those who bought Mines of Moria http://mark-mcgee.suite101.com/lord-of-the-rings-online-races-a279085

2008 Article http://www.gamefront.com/lotro-mines-of-moria-in-depth-look-at-warden-and-rune-keeper/

and the FAQ

http://de.support.turbine.com/link/portal/24001/24011/Article/1850/Mines-of-Moria-FAQs

Edited by Wolfeisberg

I disagree with this idea. Too soon.

I think most of us would agree. If it comes down to a question of F2P or shutting down the servers then F2P is the better option. But short of that I hope it doesn't happen here.

Until GW2 comes out, & you commence whining about it, while assuring everyone that the Next Big Game is 'it.' It's a pattern that *most* of us recognize by now.