ToR is a success, dont feed no trolls.

vaknyuszi

Seriously? Yeah...HELL yeah! As bad and as terrible as Ilum was, at least it provided more than we have now Jeramie. The little 'taste' of Open World PvP that I'd get on Tuesday nights as everyone ran out to fill their weekly kill count, beat a week worth of warzones ANY day!

Ilum was awful, even Bioware agrees, but it beat nothing.

I take it you're not on a PvP server, then? Or do you need it scripted and rewarded to partake?

Honestly not a flame, just wondering.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I laughed hard reading this post, thanks.

EA / BW made their bucks back by overhyping a mediocre game. Nice impulse for the gaming industry! Create whatever you want as long you hype it with a multimillion dollar budget, Until everyone notices they got ripped off, we already earned our cash back!

Nice system.

Sounds like Mafia III.

Now only problem is finding a way to silence the "trolls", right?

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

SHOCKING, that a 100% TOR focused site which depends completely upon TOR's success, would claim that TOR has been a success!:rolleyes:

I think you just proved their point. By your own admission, if the game was such an absolute failure then the site wouldn't exist to print the article in the first place.

I think you just proved their point. By your own admission, if the game was such an absolute failure then the site wouldn't exist to print the article in the first place.

actually, it's just a fan site. nothing more. the game could have 10 subs, and the site would still be "applicable". there would just not be anyone visiting it.

you want some sites that are meaningful measure of ToR interest?

Torhead.com (ZAM)

darthhater.com (Curse)

dulfy.net (yay my favorite mute raiding partner!)

Funny, I visit a lot of GW2 forums and I don't see this at all. Threads about wanting improvements in specific features but none at all about this game is doomed. In fact, most of the threads, after the first BWE, are the complete opposite. Long standing MMO players are feeling for once that (1) a company is FINALLY going to deliver on the hype and (2) the very first contender for the top spot in the MMO genre (not a WoW killer but possibly a new leader).

Every new MMO in the beginning has a rosy outlook for its future. No different for GW2, which is just another MMO. Calling GW2 a leader among MMOs is laughable at best.

Every new MMO coming out takes a chunk of the all MMOs, not just a few. As everyone wants to try out that new game. No MMO company is immune no matter how good it is at the time. And EVERY MMO gets old (in-between updates/expansions) and people eventually move on.

I take it you're not on a PvP server, then? Or do you need it scripted and rewarded to partake?

I am actually! HoG. I view PvP no different than PvE. People like to be rewarded for their time. PvE offers 'stuff' for competing. Warzones offer 'stuff' for competing. Open World PvP once offered 'stuff' too...it doesn't any longer. Players are motivated with incentives. OW PvP offers nothing now. When it did, Ilum thrived, at least one night a week...now that it doesn't, it's dead. What conclusion do you draw from that?

I'm only assessing what I see, I'll fight whenever and so will most of the PvPers left in my guild. I've set-up guild vs. guild fights away from Ilum several times (Hoth, Tat). While "fun", the lack of incentives destroys the motivation of most players to seek OW PvP.

This game is such a financial success, Bioware is laying off hundreds of their employees. Logic, FTW.

Never ceases to amaze me how long and how strongy the denial will keep fanboys energized. Saw the same thing in Rift.

Edited by Mannic

actually, it's just a fan site. nothing more. the game could have 10 subs, and the site would still be "applicable". there would just not be anyone visiting it.

you want some sites that are meaningful measure of ToR interest?

Torhead.com (ZAM)

darthhater.com (Curse)

dulfy.net (yay my favorite mute raiding partner!)

Meaningful is a subjective term. You said that that particular site depends on this game's success as though that was the source of the author's opinion (as an indication of bias), now you're recanting that? I mean if it now doesn't matter how many people go to the site then how can they be dependent in any way on the success of the game that the site is dedicated to? I'm not trying to nit-pick a fight but you are doubling back on your previous post.

I'm fully aware of the other sites that you mentioned, have had a couple of them bookmarked since last summer.

This game is such a financial success, Bioware is laying off hundreds of their employees. Logic, FTW.

Never ceases to amaze me how long and how strongy the denial will keep fanboys energized. Saw the same thing in Rift.

And getting new employees instead of them, you forgot that out.

http://torwars.com/2012/05/23/open-tor-policy-the-trolled-republic/

The highest reported number of subscribers for SWTOR thus far is 1.7 million, so that’s what I’ll start with, and assume that all 1.7 million of those players bought a legitimate copy for an average of $60 (I’m rolling in CE, DCE and regular boxes all in here) - that means $102 million in BioWare’s pockets at the get-go. We also know that subs have dropped to 1.3 million over the last few months, and so to err on the side of caution I’m going to assume that only 1 million players renewed their subs after the free month in December ran out, meaning four months at $15 per month for BioWare, or another $60 million, totaling $162 million made thus far. My numbers here aren’t perfect – they don’t take into account players who came late to the party or have paid for six-month subs, for example, or the free extra month some players were granted in April, but they’re a good baseline.

This $162 million isn’t pure profit, of course, since the game cost money to develop. BioWare never did release the actual tally, and I’ve heard everything from costs of $100 millon up to $300 million for the entire development cycle. My personal guess is around $150 million but even if the costs hit $200 million, the company has still made almost all of its money back. If subscribers stay steady at 1 million, BioWare makes $15 million a month and quickly heads into profitable territory, even taking into account overhead and the price of developing new content. In other words, the game is a success.

A successful launch yes. But later down your post you say this...

.. the strength of an MMO lies in its longevity, not the number of copies it can sell at day one, and so far BioWare seems on the right track for developing desired and timely content.

I wouldn't say they're on track. They made no secret that they were after WoW type numbers. They also said they were going to keep their dev team together.

A successful launch? Sure

A successful MMO? No

Of course, a word like success is in the eye of the beholder. Ask the 200k players that are subbed with Rift if their game is a success and they'll tell you "yes." If TOR ends up with 500K subs, their players will say "yes" as well.

I've found it quite hard to find anyone in open world, even when I swapped faction, but in all honestly I don't think PvE-PvP which is pretty much what aimless OPvP always ends up as (i.e. mostly people waiting till someone is 90% dead to an elite then finishing them, or being L50 in a L20 zone etc. etc.) is as much fun as decent RvR.

Because not only are you meeting people prepared for and up for a fight (and usually your own level), but there's some greater goal to achieve or stop the other side achieving.

To me it's a bit like kicking a football around aimlessly (can be fun, but probably not that much fun), versus playing an organised game of football..... the rules make the game and add to the fun.

That's not to say occasionally OPvP isn't amazing, just that mostly it's actually not.

I think my server is slowly dying.

Few months back the fleet had around 100 players on during the peak time. Now its much closer to 70 on good night.

Also my guild which has around 160 members (some alts) normally had around 10+ people on during the week nights. The last week its been around 3 on during the evening.

Once my guild dies I'm cancelling,, no point for me to continue playing.

Edited by Kesica

I certainly wouldn't call it a success and I think much of the criticism directed towards this game is well justified.

I dunno, just look at the world itself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Rrk6lgi24&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUdZn5v5sEU&feature=relmfu

It really could use some pseudo-life injected into it, even day/night cycles (on the planets that aren't specifically frozen in a moment in time) would help quite a bit.

The staticness is a definate flaw.

I certainly wouldn't call it a success and I think much of the criticism directed towards this game is well justified.

I dunno, just look at the world itself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Rrk6lgi24&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUdZn5v5sEU&feature=relmfu

Exploration is overrated and "living world" is just a buzzword, scripted events that you will get sick and tired of seeing repeating themselves after a while.

Edited by ChazDoit

It really could use some pseudo-life injected into it, even day/night cycles (on the planets that aren't specifically frozen in a moment in time) would help quite a bit.

The staticness is a definate flaw.

Is there any mmo that has day/night cycles?

yes so successful I can't play my level 50 at all because there is no PVP ques and noone to group for FP with. Yep great success.http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/guild-wars-2/1223692p1.html

EXACTLY, having to re roll to another server because theres hardly anyone to end game pvp or fp's with is lame and i honestly cant play through this themepark garbage to 50 twice. This industry needs to learn from this jumble faack of a Triple A mmo, and get rid of the "recipes" from other games that they think will make their game a hit and grow a pair of steel ballzz and make some decent (at least themepark + sandbox) sandbox games again.

Gw2 is a good start, Re population is even better.

whatever happened to making games to be different with new ideas ....

who cares if you pull the "wow" crowd subs.....most of those players are instant gratification mama's boys that think playing a gear based themepark game is the best thing in the world...i dont want those idiots in my game anyways lol.

Is there any mmo that has day/night cycles?

Yeah lots of them have had that and weather patterns, going back to EQ1. IIRC people said they had to be excluded due to the cinematic dialogue; i.e. it's night out but all the sudden you have a conversation in broad daylight.

I've found it quite hard to find anyone in open world, even when I swapped faction, but in all honestly I don't think PvE-PvP which is pretty much what aimless OPvP always ends up as (i.e. mostly people waiting till someone is 90% dead to an elite then finishing them, or being L50 in a L20 zone etc. etc.) is as much fun as decent RvR.

Because not only are you meeting people prepared for and up for a fight (and usually your own level), but there's some greater goal to achieve or stop the other side achieving.

To me it's a bit like kicking a football around aimlessly (can be fun, but probably not that much fun), versus playing an organised game of football..... the rules make the game and add to the fun.

That's not to say occasionally OPvP isn't amazing, just that mostly it's actually not.

So, it's not necessarily OPvP you're looking for, but large-scale PvP, even if it's instanced?