Layoffs at Bioware What does this mean for content

Painted

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not as bad as I thought, actually. Blizzard just laid off 3 times that.

You dont get it. Blizzard has 10000 times the employees that Bioware has. Blizzard laying off 600 people is nothing. Bioware laying off 200 people is half the studio gone. Now if Blizzard laid off 6000 people I might think something was wrong. Its painfully obvious that this game is going to suffer a lack of content now for some time while they try and restructure. How many people you think are jumping ship now at BW thinking next month they possibly will be laid off too.

Man so irritating I love everything about this game but the lack of new content and lack of players. The way this is headed the game wont even be around 6 months from now.

You dont get it. Blizzard has 10000 times the employees that Bioware has. Blizzard laying off 600 people is nothing. Bioware laying off 200 people is half the studio gone. Now if Blizzard laid off 6000 people I might think something was wrong. Its painfully obvious that this game is going to suffer a lack of content now for some time while they try and restructure. How many people you think are jumping ship now at BW thinking next month they possibly will be laid off too.

Man so irritating I love everything about this game but the lack of new content and lack of players. The way this is headed the game wont even be around 6 months from now.

Any game company will always lay off people after a game is released. You really didn't expect them to keep to their word did you?

10,000 times, eh? Blizzard has over 100,000?

How many, total, is employed at BioWare Austin? How many total is employed at Blizzard?

Also, did you not see the BioWare Austin is rehiring?

And what wrong with the rate of content? Up until 1.3, BW has been adding content faster than Trion did in its first 6 months.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

So Blizzard have 1000000+ employees then? You would have though they could make Diablo decent with that many people working on it.

Any game company will always lay off people after a game is released. You really didn't expect them to keep to their word did you?

This is NOT normal. Do they normally fire the head community manager also? You guys keep acting like this is normal everyday business. This game is failing and failing hard. They need to get 1.3 out tomorrow. If they continue to delay without any sort of ETA what incentive does anyone have to resub? If it wasnt for them giving me a free month I wouldnt be here. I love this game but they keep dropping the ball at EVERY turn.

For example how is it possible 6 months later there are actually LESS pvp options than at launch? How can a simple LFG tool be taking months to code? Why did we not have a single fix this week? The layoffs are just going delay things even more. First we have to wait for them to "restructure" and now you say they are looking to hire people? So we have to wait for them to get resumes, go through them, interview, get people in, train them and then maybe we will see new content?

I got news for ya Bioware will be bankrupt before that happens.

Oh and jusy FYI about the Blizzard layoffs. They had nothing to do with Warcraft.

Blizzard has laid off 600 employees, 90 percent of whom are not involved in game development, a statement from Activision Blizzard reads. The cuts do not impact the World of Warcraft development team.

Oh and jusy FYI about the Blizzard layoffs. They had nothing to do with Warcraft.

Warcraft devs. Still probably affected those on the Warcraft team that weren't devs... You even have it in your sig.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

Warcraft devs. Still probably affected those on the Warcraft team that weren't devs... You even have it in your sig.

Thats not a signature its a quote from the article. It states noone from the Warcraft dev team was affected. Blizzard/Activision has more than one game in development.

Thats not a signature its a quote from the article. It states noone from the Warcraft dev team was affected. Blizzard/Activision has more than one game in development.

Oh, not a sig, my bad. That's right, dev team. That means that anyone on Warcraft's community team, QA, Mods, GMs, etc. probably were affected.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

We'll probably never know, but some devs have been oddly silent lately.

I'm usually not one for tinfoil hats, but the 400k sub loss, EA placing this game in priority below Tiger Woods, and EA just being pure evil...

I'm wondering if EA will do to BioWare what they did to Westwood Studios...

Agree 100%. You don't start slashing peoples jobs not even half a year out of the gate on the biggest hyped mmo in years unless something is really wrong. Add in EA's, "well, SWTOR is a important IP, just not as important as a golf game" point of view is a disturbing trend forming. Especially after all the "we plan of keeping this team together so we can keep rolling out content as fast as we can" remarks from BW from the start. I am seeing two ways this could work out with the current standing of this game and with EA's actions so far.

1. SWTOR has reached whatever dollar amount it needed to break even and from this point on EA is gonna cut as much funding to the game as it can while squeezing what little bit more profit they can grab from subs before going F2P or.....

2. SWTOR has now been written off as a epic fail and EA has decided to start up the "abandon ship" sirens, again cutting as much funding as they can to the game, hoping to keep it going as long as they can so they CAN break even on it then closing it down.

Oh, not a sig, my bad. That's right, dev team. That means that anyone on Warcraft's community team, QA, Mods, GMs, etc. probably were affected.

They threw people overboard mainly from the Titan development team as far as I recall.

They threw people overboard mainly from the Titan development team as far as I recall.

BTW Diablo 3 sold a record 35 million units in 24 hours. Just crazy lol. Blizzard execs and shareholders must be dancing drunkenly by now lol.

BTW Diablo 3 sold a record 35 million units in 24 hours. Just crazy lol. Blizzard execs and shareholders must be dancing drunkenly by now lol.

It sold 3.5 million copies. Blizzard has also given out a whopping 1.2 million copies of the game free.

It sold 3.5 million copies. Blizzard has also given out a whopping 1.2 million copies of the game free.

Sorry it was 3.5 million but thats boxes SOLD not given away.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/724035/diablo-3-breaks-pc-sales-records-moves-more-than-35-million-units-in-24-hours/?cmpid=sn-110418-facebook-28-fbfantrack

Blizzard Entertainment is celebrating today with the news that its action-RPG sequel Diablo 3 sold more than 3.5 million units in its first 24 hours of release. More impressively, that first 24 hours sales figure doesn't include the more than 1.2 million players who received the game for free as part of Blizzard's Annual Pass promotion for World of Warcraft.
Edited by Leggomy

The problem is this game has so many flaws. That is why the games population has fallen (dramatically) off a cliff. it really is amazing how it has collapsed. Ea knows this. They know there is no point trying to add to a game which is so badly flawed.

This game is flawed at the design level. Nothing to do with content and server issues but fundamental game design is why most people have quit. It is pouring good money after bad to keep a massive team to keep updating this game. They are better off cutting back and just releasing occasional updates.

tbh i totally dont agree with this. A MMO is succesfull if the feeling of a MMO is there. Ppl that are playing a MMO mostly want to experience the massive part. So it has deffinitly to do with server population. And so far on many servers the massive part is still missing. Whats the point of playing a MMO if the server is dead... So basicly they just started with to many servers/ or coming way to late with transfers. And thats why so many ppl found something else to do. Make the player happy by giving the MMO experience!

Its quite common that you dont expect a perfectly working MMO at start. The "real" building starts after the launch. The hard part is that you need to come with content, tools etc on quicker terms because there are loads of MMO's that alrdy are advanced in that stuff. Keep the player happy by giving the advanced stuff!

SWTOR mirrors EA's last big MMO in many ways. Massive sub bleed-off and then lay-offs.

SWTOR basically entered life-support mode, just like WAR did.

Congratulations EA, you ruined another MMO by releasing it before it was ready.

SWTOR mirrors EA's last big MMO in many ways. Massive sub bleed-off and then lay-offs.

SWTOR basically entered life-support mode, just like WAR did.

Congratulations EA, you ruined another MMO by releasing it before it was ready.

The Secret World is also less than a month away... Hopefully there is some note-taking being done.

meanwhile everyone is hating on the game worse than the SWTOR forums.

talk about a flop.

A flop? It has shattered all previous 1 day PC sales records. What would you consider a success if not this?