How Much Did SWTOR Cost to Develop?

My honest opinion?

Its over 100 Million.

Seriously, I know software that costs way more to develop. 100 million wouldn't surprise me at all.

Alright, thank you! It's really hard to find people like you on these forums who are actually willing to be mature and help others out in the General Discussion. :)

/end

Tell me where else could this thread fit?

My point is, you don't post in general forum (for that matter any gaming forum) to obtain accurate financials about an MMO company. There is too much subjectivity and misinformation spread in gaming forum for you to be any better off in terms of information then before you posted this thread.

Hence, this thread is candy bait for flamers IMO. :)

So ive never really understood this fasination people have with the cost of games?

Is TOR any more a success or failure in your mind if it costed 5 million or 300 million?

I just dont get the money issue and why gamers now a days focus on it so heavily.

To me its either you like a game or you dont and the budget really doesnt matter.

I do understand why people look at the subcription base when speaking of investors and returns as its relevant there but the rest of it. I just dont get it.

TOR probably costed more then it needed to because it had a bigger budget. People tend to spend to their limit, regardless what the limit is.

Not a bash at the OP, just dont get this fasination with game costs by many players.

I think it matters - if BW really spent $200 million on this game it makes me shocked at the state of software development, unless that figure includes some sort of long-term licensing deal with LucasArts.

So ive never really understood this fasination people have with the cost of games?

Is TOR any more a success or failure in your mind if it costed 5 million or 300 million?

I just dont get the money issue and why gamers now a days focus on it so heavily.

To me its either you like a game or you dont and the budget really doesnt matter.

I do understand why people look at the subcription base when speaking of investors and returns as its relevant there but the rest of it. I just dont get it.

TOR probably costed more then it needed to because it had a bigger budget. People tend to spend to their limit, regardless what the limit is.

Not a bash at the OP, just dont get this fasination with game costs by many players.

I think it just baffles people that a company can spend $200 million on a project and this is the result. The game is ok but has some major issues both in gameplay and technically. For the money spent I think a lot of us were expecting a far more polished, impressive product.

I think it just baffles people that a company can spend $200 million on a project and this is the result. The game is ok but has some major issues both in gameplay and technically. For the money spent I think a lot of us were expecting a far more polished, impressive product.
Personally, I have no expectations for anything I can't control. Especially video games. Hearing Blizzard's Michael Morhaime talk out of both sides of his mouth reminded me of that. Edited by GalacticKegger

I'm really confused at the moment.

I hear three things:

• The game took about $80 million to develop
  • The game took around $100–$200 million to develop
  • The game could have taken $300 million or MORE to develop

I've seen a few articles and few don't have sources that support their claims with how much the game took to develop. Like I said, this has me really confused.

So how much did it really take to develop the game? A rough estimate would help, and almost any article would, too.

The insider whom spoke out few years ago whom was ex employee of EA said it went over 300million he was right on everything else so he was probably telling the truth as well on the amount spent.

The insider whom spoke out few years ago whom was ex employee of EA said it went over 300million he was right on everything else so he was probably telling the truth as well on the amount spent.

Which was and never could be proven that he/she was an insider?

No, that idiot was wrong.:rolleyes:

At those thinking I'm trying to flame:

WRONG. I just wanted some statistics and more information because I'm going to be on a podcast, so I wanted to just talk to those who may think it probably costed $500 million to make.

I'm also curious because I'm hearing so much speculation on how much it really did cost. I've been looking into it, but seeing all the different ranges of development costs kinda confused me.

the $500 million was from an analyst who talked about how much SWTOR cost EA through the sale of Bioware, basically SWTOR could have been valued at $500 million between the value of the licensing, cost of development, and the perceived value of the game over time.

And what about recurring costs, like all the devs working on patches and updates, servers, ongoing marketing, websites?

I yes for people asking, it is about comparing if you fail at $5M or $500M. When you already spent $300M on a game that will bring you ~$80M in it's 1st year, while not being bad, it is a flop. Without major improvement that could reverse the actual perception of the game, they are probably be looking to keep the game going on for 5 years simply to break even, maybe...

IMO, it does matter. Just think about the number of subs swtor started with and has now. Now, how do we view the game with those numbers if it cost 5 million to make? 150million? 300million? At 5 million cost, this game has done remarkable. At 300million, well....maybe we view it different. (just to give 2 extremes).

Now, who else looks at it that way? EA. If the game is viewed as a success, then it gets more investment in talent and dollars. If its viewed as a failure, then EA starts to cut its losses, talent gets reassigned, etc. etc.

So yeah, I think it matters.