PvE - Powertech vs Merc

RogueZair

I've got a brand new Bounty Hunter that I'm planning on playing mostly PvE because I want to see the story. I have a bunch of other characters, including a Combat Medic Commando, but this is my first 'hunter. I'm looking for maximum PvE Solo Damage with minimal down time (so assume Mako out on DPS stance, unless healing stance is necessary). Looks like my options are:

1. Adv. Prototype (Powertech)
  2. Arsenal (Merc)
  3. Pyro (Merc / Powertech)

So which do you suggest? If you suggest Pyro, should I go Merc or Powertech?

Thanks a ton!

I solo everything as an Arsenal Merc (all of my dailies). I use Mako as a healer because you DO NOT want her DPSing. You really don't.

The only daily I cannot solo is the new Torvix 4man. That one requires another person with me. However, I felt as Arsenal I can blow stuff up pretty fast.

After thinking about it, I'm leaning toward Powertech Adv Prototype. Opinion for all of these seems to be, "Yeah it does good damage" but the AP spec gets Pneumatic Boots (+15% movement speed) & Advanced Tools (shorter CD on Flame Thrower, which should be good on solo content). Powertech Pyrotech seems a close second.

Any thoughts?

I did a Powertech Pyro from start and my bro did a Merc Pyro. minimal gear difference and same pets i could plow through more mobs at higher level than he could before dieing or needing to rest to full heal and with access to taunts i could keep mako or torian alive a lot longer than my brother could.

In my perspective, got Powertech Pyrotech you will thanks yourself in the 50 end game.

My opinion:

Power Pyro

Arsenal Merc

Power Adv Proto

Pyro Merc

All you did was list every DPS spec a bounty hunter has. That's REALLY helpful :rolleyes:.

Ranged DPS as a rule tend to have more burst than melee, simply because in PvP it's to your advantage to kill melee before they can reach you. I went Pyro because it feels like a melee/ranged hybrid, with Incendiary Missile, Thermal Grenade, and powered up Unload. Advanced Protoype is fun, and flashy, and truth be told it's got pretty nice PvE potential, but I never got into it because there were times everything would be on CD and I'd be stuck doing Rapid Shots once or twice waiting on everything.

PvE, Advanced Protoype is the way to go. The supped-up Flamethrower competes with Ravage in terms of damage. PvP, Pyro all the way.

Don't ask me about ranged unless you want to know how you can kill God and every angel He has with a Gunslinger.

Edited by Malles

For soloing, an Arsenal Merc may be better just because of heals and CC. Like someone else said, you can faceroll anything in the game pretty much.

You may also find that Torian as DPS can sometimes be more beneficial than Mako on heals. The reason is, if you are going to kill a certain encounter without needing heals during the fight, may as well use Torian to speed up the combat. You are going to Recharge/Reload to lower heat afterwords so you can just refill health then also. No need to heal it up with Mako.

But dont get me wrong, Mako is the bomb. There is never a situation where she's a bad choice. She never breaks CC as well. Torian (when geared) can actually help you but at a risk of breaking CC which will only be an issue during Poisonous Strategy.

All you did was list every DPS spec a bounty hunter has. That's REALLY helpful :rolleyes:.

:csw_jabbapet:

Troll spray is getting overly necessary around here.

Me listing my opinion in a thread asking for people's opinions is unhelpful? Seriously?

I actually gave a list, you didn't even distinguish between merc and power pyro.

Preceding that you gave opinions on pvp when the op expressly stated he was asking for opinions on solo pve.

Before you criticize other take a long hard look at yourself.

Noone wants a powertech, dps or tank, for end game raiding. So even if it is betetr for leveling, enjoy sitting on the side lines at 50 (not raiding in a progressive team).

LOL, apparently you dont do end game content. Powertech Pyros are right up there with the BEST marauders in sustained DPS and better in burst.

Currently not in the best gear, augmented with mostly 58mods/61 BH mods and no set bonus, parsing 1400-1500dps on the dummy.

Also a powertech Shieldtech, is arguably the best end game tank. Just to be fair, all 3 tanks can handle any content in the game, but PT tanks take the LEAST spike damage because of their high shield/absorb ratings.

In PvP, Pyro can melt faces left and right.

Clearly you have no experience with the class when you say PTs are not for end game.

Noone wants a powertech, dps or tank, for end game raiding. So even if it is betetr for leveling, enjoy sitting on the side lines at 50 (not raiding in a progressive team).

Agooz speaks truth.

I got pointers to do my PvP better and cover top 3 in all stats for pvp! PvE i am the 2nd best dps next to our marauder and contending with a sniper for said spot.

Either you play it wrong, which is why you dont get picked, or the ops teams dont realize what they are missing. either way its you not the class

LOL, apparently you dont do end game content. Powertech Pyros are right up there with the BEST marauders in sustained DPS and better in burst.

Currently not in the best gear, augmented with mostly 58mods/61 BH mods and no set bonus, parsing 1400-1500dps on the dummy.

Also a powertech Shieldtech, is arguably the best end game tank. Just to be fair, all 3 tanks can handle any content in the game, but PT tanks take the LEAST spike damage because of their high shield/absorb ratings.

In PvP, Pyro can melt faces left and right.

Clearly you have no experience with the class when you say PTs are not for end game.

Yeah... I haven't done EC or anything, but for hard modes and such, PT tanks seem great. That's just from a (sorcerer) healer's perspective. As you say, any of the three are fine if played with some awareness, but a well played PT tank lets you just saunter through some of this stuff.

Maybe his comment was intended to only be pertinent to the very highest level content?

Also - what server is he playing on where ANY level 50 tank is "sitting on the sidelines"? Tanks are scarcer than healers on my server lol.

edit: And agreed, they're nasty in PVP. A nerf wouldn't surprise me, although I'm not looking for one personally.

Edited by ahduth

I've got a brand new Bounty Hunter that I'm planning on playing mostly PvE because I want to see the story. I have a bunch of other characters, including a Combat Medic Commando, but this is my first 'hunter. I'm looking for maximum PvE Solo Damage with minimal down time (so assume Mako out on DPS stance, unless healing stance is necessary). Looks like my options are:

1. Adv. Prototype (Powertech)
  2. Arsenal (Merc)
  3. Pyro (Merc / Powertech)

So which do you suggest? If you suggest Pyro, should I go Merc or Powertech?

Thanks a ton!

I shelved my level 38 Arsenal Merc--one of the alts I'm currently grinding is a PT Pyro...one thing to keep in mind is this, your offhand weapon isn't going to do very much damage compared to your main hand weapon--that being the case, I'd much rather have a generator/shield in my offhand...Agooz is 100% right, go PT Pyro and watch your foes burn