Vigilance is a TOTAL win.

Pyymm

just 90% of the people in the guardian/jugg sections

In what way? In denial thinking the class sucks, has always sucked and still sucks or in denial thinking the class is great has always been great and will continue to be great forever? Because I find myself in the middle. Pre 1.2 the Jedi Guardian in any other spec but focus was anywhere from just a little below the curve to as bad as being the whipping boy of PvP. With the advent of some of the pre 1.2 patch changes and with patch 1.2 I think the Guardian is well capable of standing its ground against any other class 1v1 or in war zones. What's your opinion?

Actually PvP aside, DPS guardians are 100 percent worthless in the new ops such as explosive conflict, With the tight enrage timers even a fully geared great player is going to have to be left from the raid group the DPS is way too low, the parces don't lie. This is something Bioware doesn't get. It's goes inline with the Shadow/Vanguard theme. Both are better tanks, and DPS speced there is no comparison. Until they give Guardian a real DPS tree, and major improvments to the tank tree they are ok at PvP for the moment is about all,, but 90 percent of the time your group is going to be expecting you to guard a healer

BTW I have a Guardian Full Rakata DPS and Tank suit fpr PvE and 7 pieces of augmented war-hero the rest battlemaster for PvP, so I would not agree that Vigilance is a total Win

Edited by kmcmahon

Actually PvP aside, DPS guardians are 100 percent worthless in the new ops such as explosive conflict, With the tight enrage timers even a fully geared great player is going to have to be left from the raid group the DPS is way too low, the parces don't lie. This is something Bioware doesn't get. It's goes inline with the Shadow/Vanguard theme. Both are better tanks, and DPS speced there is no comparison. Until they give Guardian a real DPS tree, and major improvments to the tank tree they are ok at PvP for the moment is about all,, but 90 percent of the time your group is going to be expecting you to guard a healer

BTW I have a Guardian Full Rakata DPS and Tank suit fpr PvE and 7 pieces of augmented war-hero the rest battlemaster for PvP, so I would not agree that Vigilance is a total Win

Just curious here, what are you parsing at and what would you recommend for dps over Vigilance for the Guardian?

As far as I can tell Vigilance is our best option for dps in PvE and for dps and tanking in PvP, but I'm open to other ideas.

quick question guys, i started a guardian for dps pvp. i'm 47 now and looking forward to pvp but I also like pve. Does anybody like taking guardian dps or is our dps to low?

In any MMO being "taken" is always gonna be about the kind of guild that you get into and the people you run with. I've never had a problem being taken for dps, but my guild knows I"m a quality player. I've only recently got into ops and flashpoints as I pretty much only pvp'd before recently, but I can tell you that my dps has not been a liability in HM Lost Island or HM Eternity Vault & Karagga's Palace.

Explosive Conflict is another matter, however. That place is progression content currently and thus will be restricted to specific classes and specs. But that's nothing new to MMOs. The thing is, though, what is needed for specific encounters is always a moving a target in MMOs. This patch progression raiders swear by bring x class and y class. Next patch they'll say that z class is the only dps worthwhile etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about whether you'll be viable in progression content as that is such a moving target and if that were your thing you'd simply play the most efficient class for the time rather than the one you enjoy. In the end, playing the class you enjoy is always more important than playing the class that gets easy invites to progression content imo.

So, in short and in my experience, if you're a quality player and have a good guild they will always be glad to take you wherever you want to go. If you're looking to do bleeding edge content Guardian dps may not be right at this time, but it's always a small club of specs and classes that are "right" for bleeding edge content and if you want to stay in that club it requires gearing up multiple classes and being proficient at multiple specs within that class.

Actually PvP aside, DPS guardians are 100 percent worthless in the new ops such as explosive conflict, With the tight enrage timers even a fully geared great player is going to have to be left from the raid group the DPS is way too low, the parces don't lie.

I stopped reading there, laughing my *** off. Simply put, if you're playing a Vigilance Guardian properly, you should not lag behind other dps classes such as Sages on relevant fights (basically, about 1.6k is fairly achievable in Denova, which is more than enough to beat the enrage timers, provided other people don't slack). Marauders/Sentinels will of course push ahead, but not by much. The ONLY thing Guardians have against them is their high dependancy on melee range, making some bosses annoying to fight - but that holds for all melee classes. In fact, given defensive cooldowns, it could be argued that Guardians are more reliable a dps here than some others.

Long story short: don't blame the class, blame the people playing it.

I raid as a Vigilance PVE DPS and I have had no problems with enrage timers so far in raids up to EV and KP nightmare. EC normal mode is also no problem atm. EC HM though is another story but I've never had a chance to dps there because our tanks have been slacking recently and I've been tanking it :/

I honestly think that Vig DPS is among the best melee dps in the game. Of course sentinels beat us but thats nothing new but the margin isnt as large as everyone makes it out to be; however, it is significant enough for progression raids like EC HM. In all honesty though, the problem is less "Guardian dps sucks" but rather "Melee dps sucks". There are no fights in this game that benefit being melee, except maybe the right hand side of the 2nd boss in EC, and every encounter is made a lot easier simply by being ranged. Its not like melee do inherently more damage than ranged so it seems to me that Bioware raid designers have no clue how to design raids for melee. Nonetheless, its still definitely doable to do raids with a melee heavy group....its just alot harder :p

Thankyou for a nice, well written thread OP, it makes a nice change from the trash talk and doom and gloom on the General Discussion forum. Although im Defense specced I whole heartedly agree its the most fun class i've played so far.

Thankyou for a nice, well written thread OP, it makes a nice change from the trash talk and doom and gloom on the General Discussion forum. Although im Defense specced I whole heartedly agree its the most fun class i've played so far.
Extremely biased post =/= well written

I agree with OP. Its lousy tree if not enough crit and not most talents.

But in pvp its propably best tree. Here my experience why

- BH's/sorcs cant knockback you when you leap on them. This is increbidly useful in Huttball and elsewhere. And frustrating to them

- Dots build damage slowly and propably make opponent underestimate you

- good number of attacks that make game style active and it feels very effective to play

- good balance since it has some added damage migtation. Not good as tank but better than Force that is squishy. Can switch to damage migtation role because talents give nice boost to damage migtation

- when people knock you down or slow you down it adds to your damage or focus. I guess thats why its called Vigilance - always ready.

What kind of damage do you guys do in WZ's with this spec?

I keep hearing guardians can rival and often beat sent's DPS wise in pvp. Is this true? I play a sith assassin but thinking about trying pub out after I re-roll on fatman.

I am strictly pvp and prefer dps. Don't care about pve capability.

I keep hearing guardians can rival and often beat sent's DPS wise in pvp. Is this true? I play a sith assassin but thinking about trying pub out after I re-roll on fatman.

You won't beat the best sents in DPS, but if you play your class well you will match or beat the majority of them.

More importantly, you have some very, very nice utilities that a Sentinel doesn't, like Unremitting and Force Push. You control spacing better than a Sentinel does, though they can burn down priority targets a bit better than you. You also take damage throughout a fight a bit better, though they have the superior defensive cd's for escaping focus fire.

That said, one thing I don't see nearly enough Guardians utilizing is Guardian Leap. Even without Protector, you're still healing 8% of your health every time you do it, making it harder for the enemy to hit you, and setting up another charge to the enemy which gives you more CC immunity and more damage reduction, as well as Focus. Guardian Leap is also a fantastic ability for pulling out of a sticky situation.

If you play Vigilance and aren't using Leap and Guardian Leap constantly, you're not playing the class to its fullest potential.

You won't beat the best sents in DPS, but if you play your class well you will match or beat the majority of them.

More importantly, you have some very, very nice utilities that a Sentinel doesn't, like Unremitting and Force Push. You control spacing better than a Sentinel does, though they can burn down priority targets a bit better than you. You also take damage throughout a fight a bit better, though they have the superior defensive cd's for escaping focus fire.

That said, one thing I don't see nearly enough Guardians utilizing is Guardian Leap. Even without Protector, you're still healing 8% of your health every time you do it, making it harder for the enemy to hit you, and setting up another charge to the enemy which gives you more CC immunity and more damage reduction, as well as Focus. Guardian Leap is also a fantastic ability for pulling out of a sticky situation.

If you play Vigilance and aren't using Leap and Guardian Leap constantly, you're not playing the class to its fullest potential.

I completely agree. I'm relatively new to PvP. Only Valor 20 but I use both Leaps constantly. Guardian Leap saved my *** twice yesterday in Civil War.

A well played Sent will almost always beat you in damage. Look at the kills and times killed along with protection if you run guard, that's where you will see your value.

What ability or skill talent allows your leaps to heal you 8%?

What ability or skill talent allows your leaps to heal you 8%?

PvP set bonus, 8% heal everytime you use Guardian Leap, also synergizes wonderfully with the 4 piece bonus, 10% damage boost after every Force Leap.

So instead of trying to face tank that Marauder and getting destroyed, you can leap to a friendly somewhere, heal yourself for 1.2-1.4k HP, then leap back in at that Sentinel, get 20% DR, more Focus, and a 10% damage boost. You pretty much just entirely changed the course of that fight by utilizing those leaps.

I'm not really sure why you feel that a Vigilance Guardian is "the least damaging" dps in the game. Our burst is not particularly high, but that's not where our power comes from. Classes and specs like the Pyro PT also rely on lining up cooldowns, relics, and adrenals to do the kind of silly burst you will see posted on youtube. This Powertech posts some full matches (
) and you can see that his damage is always very good, but if he is not glowing red he is not doing the silly burst that gets featured in heavily edited videos.

I may get melted by a sniper or powertech lining up buffs, but it's also rare for them to have done more damage then me at the end of a match.

love your UI