The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Will you pay for a server transfer?

Skyzen

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, we pay a subscription fee for a reason. One of the main things we pay for in our sub is good customer service, and transfers should be included within the customer service we pay for. Most free to play games have bad customer service, which players should expect since they aren't paying the company for it.

I worked for a call center before, I dealt with customer service.... and we spent the few minutes with each customer that had an issue, why can't BW spend the few minutes to transfer our character if we want it? Transferring a character probably takes a couple of minutes, I think my $15 a month should be worth a couple of minutes of their time.

Edited by Brodysmith

I have no intention of paying to get off my dead server. Pay=cancel and move on to other things. Lots of options out there for my free time.

No paid transfers will be implemented until all destination servers are at adequate population. It's in the blog.

This question is specific to paying for transfers so you can either combine your characters on a single server, play with friends on a different server, change server types, etc. We should all get populated servers by the time the current transfer plan is over, so paying for the server transfer we are already getting for free is now moot.

I tend to disagree with JeramieCrowe in that I do not think it's fair to charge me to combine my characters. My characters were originally splintered because of Bioware's mismanagement of server populations. It is their responsibility to fix it.

My main server is not in need of CPR and it will most likely become a destination server but I hate a good deal of the people there so I'd pay for a chance to get away from them. Or pay so that I don't have to play through the same stories again on new servers, however you like to see it.

It should be added that this is my first MMO so it's possible that the people on my server simply are representing a normal MMO population, in which case I will leave and never play an MMO again. I would however like to discover this on my own on a new server first.

Edited by MidichIorian

Nope. I'll never pay for a server transfer period. If the game interests me enough, I'll reroll on the new server if: I have friends on the server or if guildies have rerolled on a new server. In either of these cases, I'll have guiles to assist in leveling and that allows things to move along quickly.

Otherwise, I'd rather quit the game and move on then spend more money on the game.:cool:

I have 7 Level 50s. Charge me for a transfer for each level 50 and I'll simply quit. Charge me 1 fee for all to be transferred and I might consider it. Not charge me, and I'll continue to pay my monthly subscription.

Sounds very reasonable to me.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't either. But paid transfers, according to the blog, will only come AFTER every destination server has reached its targeted population goals. That's the only thing BioWare needs to fix. All else was player choice.

Wow, just...wow.

My brother and I rolled IMP on an RP-PVP in December it was heavy pop at that time. We played until the server was so dead that we could no longer do any flashpoints, 4-mans, or find anything in the AH. I believe that was around February and our level was mid to upper 30s.

We then rerolled REP on a heavy PVE server in March. It was like night and day. 120+ on fleet, the occasional queue at prime-time, bountiful AH, no waiting on any flashpoints or heroics.

Now, we would love to move our IMP characters to this PVE server to start playing them again and to take advantage of legacy.

Now, YOU say it was our choice, but, to that, I say a big, fat, "eff you". It was Bioware's fault that our first choice server became dead and that the game was unplayable there, NOT our fault. So Bioware has a responsibility to allow everyone free promotional transfers to get all of their characters on any one server they have characters on, if they so choose.

Anyone who says Bioware does NOT have a responsibility to allow us to consolidate all of our characters to one server for free is nothing more than a Bioware fanboi lickspittle.

No, we pay a subscription fee for a few reasons. One of the reasons is to have better customer service than a free to play game, and Server Transfers are a Customer Service.

I'm pretty sure our $15 a month is worth a minute of the automated systems work.

Especially since we haven't really had a choice on how populated of a server we would like to play on. I picked a full server on the day this game was released, and it dropped to low, then I re-rolled on a different server...leaving my LVL 50 Jedi Guardian to collect dust even though I liked him. Then the server I re-rolled on dropped from Very High to a server that is mostly Low populated, and rarely Standard.

I've made enough attempts trying to get on a populated server. If these free transfers don't get me on a Very High populated server, I'll just stop subscribing all together... never mind a paid transfer.

They have to find ways to try and get people to keep playing this game, if they didn't give free transfers, this game wouldn't last. They're giving us these free transfers right now, and making it seem like we should appreciate it... when they should truly appreciate that we have stuck around this long to wait for them.

Edited by Brodysmith

If the option is introduced to transfer outside of location, I will most definately pay. They will have me by the nose and I will throw at them whatever sum of money they wish in order to move my characters.

While I am an American playing out of the States, I've always played on Oceanic servers because I work a night shift job and my playtime overlaps best with others from Australia/New Zealand timezones. I'm a member of a multi-gaming community of Oceanic players participating in DCUO, WoW, Tera, Diablo 2, Guild Wars 2, etc. The same batch of friends I've been playing games with for nearly a decade.

When SWTOR launched, there were no Asia Pacific servers. We all went with a US - West Coast server, as that's what gave us the best ping, and played away. When the Asia Pacific servers were introduced, I was shocked to discover that they actually cared where I lived. All my mates from the League were permitted to transfer to the locally hosted servers for free, but I didn't qualify to move even if I paid because I live in the States.

My mates got to keep their raiding characters and move forward, while I have to restart from scratch on the Oceanic server (Americans aren't forbidden from playing on it, just from transferring to it). I have to completely re-gear from scratch; I have to rebuild my Legacy to unlock things I used to be able to use. The species/class combination I was previously enjoying as my main is no longer an option until I blitz all the way through a separate level 50 character just for the unlock. And all the while, the guys are left without me being a viable raid-ready teammate.

I can accept these unpleasant conditions for my server move, being reset to ground zero while everyone else gets to keep their guys. But if I get the option to purchase a transfer so I can move even just 1 character to Asia Pacific, I will be all over that.