Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Subs down 25%

Sabilok

Wow. Just wow... You're saying that less than 500k are still playing right now and that it'll drop off to 120k within 3 months. You're doing a hefty amount of assuming in the first place by saying that the majority of the people subscribed have actually quit and are awaiting their expiration date. That's just as bad as some others assuming that a large number of players own a box and never subscribed, or cancelled and are waiting to come back.

Well...I am still subbed , but I donot play much anymore. And I think I am not alone in that way. And yes, there are several who have canceled thier subs, but they still have time left on thier sub to play if they wanted to. I cannot support or disagree with any numbers as that would be speculation. But lets say this...I am not sure he is that far off on his predictions. :cool:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can somebody explain to me, because I dont get it.65% of servers are on Light pop all the time, but EA says 1.3 mil subs.

So 1 300 000 (subs) : 223 (servers) = 5829 people on one server, that means every single server should be full everytime.I dont see it, where are those people????

Is it happening in my mind or its just false information???

Also the chances of 1.3m subs being 1.3m active subs is pretty much 0 too.

You have to be careful with your wording, the mmo industry (or atleast bioware) consider any sub an "active" sub, whether its a free trial, friend trial, or a paid sub. I think youre refering to a "recuring sub" a sub that someone is paying for and has not canceled.

You have to be careful with your wording, the mmo industry (or atleast bioware) consider any sub an "active" sub, whether its a free trial, friend trial, or a paid sub. I think youre refering to a "recuring sub" a sub that someone is paying for and has not canceled.

No, you are very incorrect.

Well...I am still subbed , but I donot play much anymore. And I think I am not alone in that way. And yes, there are several who have canceled thier subs, but they still have time left on thier sub to play if they wanted to. I cannot support or disagree with any numbers as that would be speculation. But lets say this...I am not sure he is that far off on his predictions. :cool:

Ok...so about 800k people are recently cancelled and waiting for their subs to expire. Really? He's not far off in saying that? I'm sorry, but that's a completely ridiculous concept.

Can somebody explain to me, because I dont get it.65% of servers are on Light pop all the time, but EA says 1.3 mil subs.

So 1 300 000 (subs) : 223 (servers) = 5829 people on one server, that means every single server should be full everytime.I dont see it, where are those people????

You're making the assumption that every subscriber is playing 24/7 and are evenly distributed, and that's completely erroneous. I'm not saying that every single one of those 1.3 mil are active players because they simply aren't, but to try to argue that the majority aren't by using flawed math isn't any better.

Edited by princey

About 20% are playing at max, that is during the prime time, so you are looking at about 260,000, on 223 servers that would be about 1100 per server, and yeah you are right, we don't even that, I doubt we are seeing even 10% playing at one time.

The game is dying, bleeding and it wont survive this year.EA just picked up bad studio to make a MMO game.BW is good in single RPG no doubt there, but not in MMO.

R.I.P. SWTOR

Ok...so about 800k people are recently cancelled and waiting for their subs to expire. Really? He's not far off in saying that? I'm sorry, but that's a completely ridiculous concept.

You're making the assumption that every subscriber is playing 24/7 and are evenly distributed, and that's completely erroneous. I'm not saying that every single one of those 1.3 mil are active players because they simply aren't, but to try to argue that the majority aren't by using flawed math isn't any better.

Time will tell. And it is not that long before we will know. ;)

Do you have any evidence that it includes weekend and 7-day friend trials? My understanding is that it does not.

About 20% are playing at max, that is during the prime time, so you are looking at about 260,000, on 223 servers that would be about 1100 per server, and yeah you are right, we don't even that, I doubt we are seeing even 10% playing at one time.

Actually, with 1100 per server, average, that's 550 per side. Break that down to a per planet average and it gets ~30-40. Look at the fact that many servers have more and many have less, some zones have more and some have less, and it becomes completely feasible. Fact remains: there's too many servers.

Edited by princey

Im sorry EA/BW, but I find your lack of telling the true distrubing.

Your very expensive game is dying.What do you expect with naked game in 2012 when WoW makes standarts??

1.3 mill with 30 days free, but already unsubed.Otherwise its bull----.After those days expire, there will be 250k subs max.

Im sorry EA/BW, but I find your lack of telling the true distrubing.

Your very expensive game is dying.What do you expect with naked game in 2012 when WoW makes standarts??

1.3 mill with 30 days free, but already unsubed.Otherwise its bull----.After those days expire, there will be 250k subs max.

Will someone explain to me how this is NOT hyperbole?

No idea what hyperbole is, nvm.Its true, its inevitable.

Well, the drop in subs is a concern. Alarming, even. But going so far as to claim the game is "dying"... well, even some naysayers here admit the game won't "die". That's called using "hyperbole".

Do you have any evidence that it includes weekend and 7-day friend trials? My understanding is that it does not.

"STAR WARS - The Old Republic now has 1.3 million subscribers with a much higher mix of ongoing credit card consumers, but on a lower absolute number of subs."

cant wait to see if that needs to be explained.

Edited by Mallorik

Well, we can say this, after the fall of SWTOR in 2012.No one will hire BioWare to make any MMO ever again and tbh Im glad so.Because screw up Star Wars title like this is unforgivable. Edited by Emdix

Well, we can say this, after the fall of SWTOR in 2012.No one will hire BioWare to make any MMO ever again and tbh Im glad so.Because screw up Star Wars title like this is unforgivable.

Ill bet people said exactly the same thing about mythic when warhammer was tanking. lol guess where they work now?

look at the start of wowcraft, it had a SIMILAR subscriptions hiccup in approximately the same period of time as swtor. Look at THIS GRAPH: follow the wow west and swtor west... both shoot up to around 2mil then drop down by 100-400k. probably because of people like in these forums that naysay and complain. they'll go away, the company will continue to make improvements, and they'll probably come back... to complain about something else.

look at the start of wowcraft, it had a SIMILAR subscriptions hiccup in approximately the same period of time as swtor. Look at THIS GRAPH: follow the wow west and swtor west... both shoot up to around 2mil then drop down by 100-400k. probably because of people like in these forums that naysay and complain. they'll go away, the company will continue to make improvements, and they'll probably come back... to complain about something else.

That was years ago.You can not success on todays market with naked game as WoW was 7 years ago.