Bioware vs Pc Gamer - who's telling the truth ?

Rogoo

--

Before we begin. A disclaimer to the mods: I know you feel the urge to close this thread in order to do damage control. However, this thread is NOT about the number of subs. This thread is about a POSSIBILITY that either BW employee or PC Gamer's journalist made a FALSE statement about the sub numbers. AFAIK there is no such thread on forums, and as such it should not be closed.

This thread is NOT to discuss the sub numbers, but to discuss bad business practice.

---

Here:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/04/23/bioware-doing-anything-and-everything-to-keep-players-logging-in-to-swtor/

PC Gamer claims that BW said that there is no drop in subs. As we all know, that is actually not the case.

However, nowhere in this article is a direct quote from Daniel saying that the subs have dropped.

Is it PC Gamer's manipulation ? An official response from Daniel would be nice. Did he say that or did he got misquoted and hence the mess ? Someone in this whole matter is to blame, but who ?

--

Before we begin. A disclaimer to the mods: I know you feel the urge to close this thread in order to do damage control.

Damage control? Are you serious? Is there not a giant thread discussing this very topic? They want you to keep this drivel to that thread. It is called controlling spam.

Oh I love this part...

...BioWare claim that subscriber numbers haven’t dropped, but concurrent users at peak times have. This, Erickson says, is the reason why players are noticing a lot of ‘light’ server populations – and also why mergers are on the cards, but not a priority.

Not a priority... nice

--

Before we begin. A disclaimer to the mods: I know you feel the urge to close this thread in order to do damage control. However, this thread is NOT about the number of subs. This thread is about a POSSIBILITY that either BW employee or PC Gamer's journalist made a FALSE statement about the sub numbers. AFAIK there is no such thread on forums, and as such it should not be closed.

This thread is NOT to discuss the sub numbers, but to discuss bad business practice.

---

Here:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/04/23/bioware-doing-anything-and-everything-to-keep-players-logging-in-to-swtor/

PC Gamer claims that BW said that there is no drop in subs. As we all know, that is actually not the case.

However, nowhere in this article is a direct quote from Daniel saying that the subs have dropped.

Is it PC Gamer's manipulation ? An official response from Daniel would be nice. Did he say that or did he got misquoted and hence the mess ? Someone in this whole matter is to blame, but who ?

An official response? Uh.. who the heck cares?

Look, just because you may have notice less players playing atm doesn't automatically mean they all unsubbed. They could not playing as much as before. I have 2 accounts, one gets used alot while the other doesn't because my son is playing other games. But he doesn't want me to unsub it because he does play it still, just not as much as in the beginning. But I except that from him as he is just a teen.

The MMO trend is people eventually come back. You can see it especially from the bandwagon "ex-WoW" folks. Without fail, there are these players who came from that game, and preach the death and boredom of it. Then guess what they also get bored of the new MMO. These are the type of players that WoW has brought to the MMO genre. The fairweather whiners and quitters.

First of all, the number of quasi-professional wikipedia lawyers in this forum always makes me laugh. "Bad business practices"? There isn't a single place in that PCGamer article that suggests bad business practices (if that is even a thing, which it isn't). There is a lot to suggest that people do not read carefully...but that is a separate matter.

Second of all, even if we go on some bizarre witchhunt for "Bad business", that article does not suggest it in any way.

BioWare claim that subscriber numbers haven’t dropped, but concurrent users at peak times have

That's the only quote in the article about numbers. And if you read it, you will see that there is no relative time frame mentioned. The article came out on April 23, almost 1 month after the March 31 subscription numbers (first quarter) were finalized. It is very possible that between March 31 and April 23, the 1.3 million subs remained constant. It is also possible that most people left in January or February, which would mean that 1.3 million would have been the subscriber number for over 2 months.

Either way, no bad business here. Unclear reporting and unclear commentary, but nothing wrong.

The sad part is (from experience), the modern games industry is all politics so you may never get the full truth. Probably why most games by the big names (EA, Activition) are so mediocre these days. For them, money+image > customer (and staff) satisfaction :/ Edited by NasherUK

Hello everyone,

We appreciate your desire to discuss this topic, but there are already a couple of relevant threads where the community is engaged in discussion.

Subs down 25%

Daniel Erickson on Server Population.

We will be closing this thread, please feel free to carry on your conversation in either of the links provided.

Edited by Averran