Arenas and why they are a bad idea for swtor.

tehrealdealz

I don't understand why some ppl act so butthurt about arenas. If you are bad and don't want to play arena noone is forcing you to do it.

There are a lot of issues that need to be dealt with first. Lets take for example this.... who should always in a 1v1, healer or dps? (this is a big argument in the forums atm). If the DPS says he should always win or "wahts the point of dps?" the how long should it take to bring down a healer?? (assuming 2 equally skilled players)

If the healers says "I should be able to self-heal through 1 dps" then how fast should a 2nd dps'er be able to bring him down?

Asking for arena is asking for 1v1 balance and with 8 different classes each with 2 ACs and 3 specs each.... were talking about balancing 48 skill trees. This means 24 trees if your assuming that each faction is mirrored (which clearly isn't the case) or some number in between if you think some tree's should be PvE only.

The thing is Arenas are NOT the only serious competitive type of PvP in MMO's. DAoC had roaming 8vs8 that was....in one word....awesome. Highly competitive with people getting fired up IRL over the outcomes, these fights didnt take place in an "Arena" but in the regular world they called the Frontier.

Guild Wars 2 is going to also have DAoC style Guild vs Guild roaming in WvWvW...plus 8v8, 5vs5, 2v2,1vs1 in what they call Structered PvP. This will seperate the men from the boys, WvWvW cuz you never know what your going to encounter and have to be ready for anything...and Structered PvP where all players have pretty much equal gear....so fights will be won by the guild with more skill, not better gear.

Arenas are ok, but the way PvP in MMO's is shaping up now people are looking for new and improved PvP experiences

2 tanks and 2 healer combo would eat them alive, every single time.

1 tank and any half competent healer would eat that team alive, this forum is full of a bunch of drama queens. Make it so each team can only have 1 of each ac on the team.

This game really shouldn't even have PvP as messed up as it is.

You surely can't design a game around PvE then just toss PvP into the mix.

Or you get whacked out PvP like this.

This game isn't solo or skill based PvP and it sure isn't group based.

It's class based PvP. The worse form an MMO can have.

Rated Warzones WILL. BE. A. JOKE.

I repeat. A. JOKE.

And people want "rated arenas"? No comment!

Whoever runs the PVP for this game doesn't even remotely understand what's

wrong with the PvP though it's spammed on the forums 24/7.

Nobody cares, If a MMO wants to be anywhere close to popular you need both pvp and PvE.

Sometimes you are powerful and sometimes you are not. Thats just the way it goes. You don't have to cry in your cereal about it. Even in WoW. There has never been a time when every single classes didn't show up in the top 100. So it's doable for anyone you just have to try.

Edited by Lt_Latency

Exactly. I dont want arenas in my mmo. Id prefer objective based PVP than some sandbox deathmatch. No ty. You want that go back to WoW.

haha you are the living proof of why this game will keep bleeding subs by not implementing competitive pvp be it arenas, rated WZ, deathmatches, duels and other epeen contests you will just drive a large market of customers away as boredom has already set in these kinds of games are what retains subs.

Why would you want to limit what people enjoy?

tbh the only people that would cry about it are terrible bad players that want to hold on to the belief that they are good cause they can pve games in pvp setting without actually having to be good at pvp.

Maybe if you want that you should go back to hello kitty online where you feel safe from ridicule or just not play with the big boys in the arenas

limiting anything in a mmo is the quickest way to kill it

Exactly. I dont want arenas in my mmo. Id prefer objective based PVP than some sandbox deathmatch. No ty. You want that go back to WoW.

How FOTM classes are any differen in arena and objective based pvp?

There will be deathmatch best teams, and there will be objective best teams. And if you do both with "wrong" combination of classes, you will have disadvantage against best scailing class combos.

if you think 4 maras will dominate somehow 4v4 deathmatch, what makes you think 8 maras wont dominate 8v8 warzone?

If you think in arena you will need specific setup to be able to compete, what makes you think you shouldn't have specific setup for warzone?

I think reality is that you will be the first who will whine here taht there is best setup for rated WZ which takes no skill to feceroll any other combo of classes with.

lol......

Arena in this game.........

With the current TTK..................

Healers need not apply amirite?

Any full dps team would simply walk in, blow all CD's and it would simply be a race to see who was left standing.

The pvp in this game is too simple for arena. I like it, but with the simplicity of the resolve bar and every class basically having the same CC, you wouldn't have to learn about different DR's or anything or even barely coordinate.

"Hey focus fire that guy and I'll stun first, you stun second"

This game would be better with large scale pvp, but hey, the engine can't handle more then 8v8 it seems.............cool.

Done mock arena with high rated players in tatooine and have seen this firsthand. 4v4.

• 1 month later...
Having played WoW for 5+ years now, I can say that BW is right in refusing to implement any kind of arena into this game. Arenas were the worst thing to happen to WoW. If I recall correctly they are what lead to classes getting buffed/nerfed over and over again just for the sake of balance and in the end of I recall one the devs said that "Arenas were the worst idea they ever implemented in WoW". Also but most importantly arenas promote the whole "look at my rating, i'm better than you" mentality which just isnt needed in a new MMO like swtor.

In fact, and I know I can speak for I would say 75% of the player base when I say this, the whole reason I left WoW was because of the whole elitism that goes with the game nowadays. I wanted to escape that. Basically if your rating sucks, your considered a "baddie" and not worthy etc etc. Sorry but no i hope BW never implements arenas in this game as we dont need those kind of players here in swtor. If you want arena, then what you need to do is go back to WoW. Ranked WZs are an awesome idea when they do get implemented and imho and I know I can speak for alot of players when I say this, are going to be awesome. I know im looking forward to it.

All i got from this is that you were a bad player who read patch notes, over reacted, blamed arena players even though they were likely 100x better than you and did things you couldnt dream of doing. So now you feel like arena is the poison to your mmo.

thanks for ruining the fun for everyone else because you dont like to get nerfed.

Arenas are fine as long as they don't introduce any tier of gear. I could care less about arenas but if people want it, why limit their play. It isn't stopping me from enjoying the game.