swtor pvp = no skill required

PVPWAR

I find it hilarious that someone inferring they are a 2K+ WoW player is complaining about getting rolled by a FOTM class. Everyone knows that 95% of 2K+ WoW players all rolled new FOTM classes (unless they were a mage already) each season so they could reach 2K.

Using my deductive reasoning, I'm willing to bet that the OP already rolled his FOTM class and is getting roflstomped by other FOTM classes. Which is hilarious.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Show me an MMO that has skill-based PvP and I'll show you a game that is NOT an RPG.

You can't have skill in an RPG because RPGs are all about removing the player from the equation and letting the character determine the results.

WoW. it's fact. if you deny this you have either never played it at all or never played competitive arena / hardmode raids before nerfs or you're just ignorant / a hater. OF COURSE SKILL IS NEVER AS CRUCIAL IN AN MMORPG AS IN AN FIRST PERSON SHOOTER - but in WoW it's close. play in 3s bracket at high ratings where everyone wears the highest tier of gear and you got very skill dependent pvp.

Edited by Rikeryo

WoW. it's fact. if you deny this you have either never played it at all or never played competitive arena / hardmode raids before nerfs or you're just ignorant / a hater. OF COURSE SKILL IS NEVER AS CRUCIAL IN AN MMORPG AS IN AN FIRST PERSON SHOOTER - but in WoW it's close. play in 3s bracket at high ratings where everyone wears the highest tier of gear and you got very skill dependent pvp.

Right, that's why only certain comps are able to reach those high ratings :rolleyes:

Im really disappointed in the pvp in this game. I played wow for 4 yrs and a few of my friends from wow quit swtor because the pvp in this game caters to skillcapped or low skill players.

1. Autofacing

2. Lack of macros

3. Class imbalance (although this happens to every MMO), some are pretty obvious in this game yet bw devs drag their feet as usual.

Im beginning to wonder if bw intended it this way to cater to <2k bads from wow to actually feel like they are worthy

BTW plz roll more fotm classes guys, no skill required....shadows,sents /smirk

Sounds like someone got his *** handed to him when he thought he was a god.

LOL!

Right, that's why only certain comps are able to reach those high ratings :rolleyes:

that's why I used caps, but that sentence was obviously wasted. right, it's called class synergy. that's how most MMOs work. but that doesn't exclude skill.

Edited by Rikeryo

that's why I used caps, but that sentence was obviously wasted. right, it's called class synergy. that's how most MMOs work. but that doesn't exclude skill.

Which is 100% unrelated to player skill. Since the WoW model very clearly rewards class synergy at a high enough level to be the primary determining factor of success at "high ratings" (as evidenced by the leaderboards only containing the current FOTM comps), you cannot argue that WoW's system is based on player skill. It is very much an RPG and therefore very much based on numbers to determine outcomes. In all attempts at PvP there is a degree of player skill involved, but any system that attempts to combine PvP and RPG is doomed to fail from the start since they two are mutually exclusive and the resulting hybrid will fail to reward skill in any meaningful way.

Im really disappointed in the pvp in this game. I played wow for 4 yrs and a few of my friends from wow quit swtor because the pvp in this game caters to skillcapped or low skill players.

1. Autofacing

2. Lack of macros

3. Class imbalance (although this happens to every MMO), some are pretty obvious in this game yet bw devs drag their feet as usual.

Im beginning to wonder if bw intended it this way to cater to <2k bads from wow to actually feel like they are worthy

oh man someone referring to wow as real pvp is so laughable I am almost in tears

lets deal with 2 and 3 though lol

2) macro=less skill. The most skill less game ever created was Rift, followed very closely by wow

3) class imbalance in reference to wow man lol rogue, warlock ret pali blood mage you honeslty cant be serious

Granted it take very little skill to play alot of archtypes in this game but some take alot more

Edited by mangarrage

oh man someone referring to wow as real pvp is so laughable I am almost in tears

Its the only MMORPG besides GW1 (I believe) to get into any of the popular online leagues like CEVO/MLG/TWL. I would say that counts as being real pvp.

Melees love to pretend that turning around is a skill.

Guess what. In a realistic game world, you would not be able to twitch back and forth like a Mexican jumping bean *right through your opponent* in order to stay out of their front facing. Auto-facing of any kind is just fine, and frees people to actually apply real skills.

Edited by Armelle

Its the only MMORPG besides GW1 (I believe) to get into any of the popular online leagues like CEVO/MLG/TWL. I would say that counts as being real pvp.

oh man

So these so called leagues are the world's representation for "real" pvp

I am ashamed for all mankind that people have a thought process such as this

oh man

So these so called leagues are the world's representation for "real" pvp

I am ashamed for all mankind that people have a thought process such as this

Its fair, its ranked, its tracked, provides real-life rewards, Easy to setup tournaments and ladders.

I fail to see how this is NOT the only viable option of comparison.

I just wish a game came out that had all of that built in, then there would be no need for 3rd party leagues.

• 4 weeks later...

1. Autofacing

2. Lack of macros

no, the pvp itself doesnt require no skill. autofacing, sure it kidna makes you lazy but honestly any good caster could do nearly as well without it. macros...well that just means you have to push MORE buttons rather than less...thats less skill how? class imbalance, meh id say its no worse than wows. its not because of the game itself, its because the people who actually get above 2k arent going to leave the game theyve been playing for 6ish years now just because a game that can compare(whether or not is better is your call, i wont say, i still havent decided myself personally, although its good enough for me i think and is star wars so how can i say no?). ive noticed that the players are significantly worse than in some other mmos. well, than wow pvpers. the other mmos are the same way, a lot easier. i say just take it and be godlike.

sorry if i necroed i didnt care to check, and frankly dont care anyways

so macros require skill? they just make things easier....

No they don't. And please do not talk about cast sequence macros, as those are never the macros good pvp'ers talk about.

And while I don't think SWTOR is a skill less based game, I do think the skill cap is VERY low.

Edited by Humankeg

No they don't. And please do not talk about cast sequence macros, as those are never the macros good pvp'ers talk about.

And while I don't think SWTOR is a skill less based game, I do think the skill cap is VERY low.

A lot of "good PvPer" macro functionality is already in-game. You get focus target, you get focus target modifier buttons. Granted, there's no mouseover casting and targetting system is kind of messed up (addressed in 1.3), but it's nothing a "good PvPer" can't overcome.

As for the skillcap, that of individual classes isn't all that high in any MMO that I've played. Teh skeelz are in situational awareness and teamwork, and SWToR has some interesting utility to make teamplay more challenging.

Edited by Helig

Arcane missiles says hi

Wow has several auto facing abilities on Mage priest and warlock all of which are channeled spells

Also I really enjoyed wow pvp it's a good game but to me it's boring after playing swtor

1. Autofacing

2. Lack of macros

Autofacing doesn't work always. It works only during cast time. Macros actually reduce skill needed and makes play easier.

This game has descent class balance, but wow doesn't have class balance at all.

Why so sad little guy?

Were you carried to a high rank in another game, but no-one cares about you in your new game?

WELL CRY NO MORE!

There's a way to be bad in your new game and STILL HAVE PEOPLE NOTICE YOU!

Check it out, this is the real deal:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=442952

~Sig

Edited by Eggsalicious

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.