Swg > swtor

Yoverion

Specifically SWG in the Pre-CU/NGE days, it was far superior to SWTOR. Combat was deeper, character development deeper (SWTOR only 2 primary stats? LOL!), Skillpoint / Template System instead of old Class + Level System.

Combat was deeper? C'mon. How many usable variations were there if you wanted to be competative in PVP? Fencer/TK and Rifleman/Combat Medic? Anything with a "mind" shot that emphasized stun, so much that battle in the vaunted SWG universe involved 90% of the PVP'ers running around with a stun baton or a Jawa Ion Rifle. Yeah, real deep.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're going to sit there and tell SWG players that planets like Taris and Quesh were bigger than ANY of the SWG planets? Lawl.

No, every planet in SWTOR is exactly like Kashyyyk in SWG: Restricted, on rails, barren besides the two or three low levels, and without purpose after the content was finished.

SWG You always had something to do on each planet, even if it was just collections, but collections never went out of style.

SWG You had famous POIs that you cannot have in SWTOR -ever-

SWG You had your important mission hotspots but you also had the water to fish, the banthas to milk, the goods to forage, harvesters to plant, and treasure to uncover.

this^^^

SWG is better than SWTOR . Only people that never played it say otherwise.

You're going to sit there and tell SWG players that planets like Taris and Quesh were bigger than ANY of the SWG planets? Lawl.

No, every planet in SWTOR is exactly like Kashyyyk in SWG: Restricted, on rails, barren besides the two or three low levels, and without purpose after the content was finished.

SWG You always had something to do on each planet, even if it was just collections, but collections never went out of style.

SWG You had famous POIs that you cannot have in SWTOR -ever-

SWG You had your important mission hotspots but you also had the water to fish, the banthas to milk, the goods to forage, harvesters to plant, and treasure to uncover.

Yeah, you win. I want a game where I can run around a square and kill a million doo-hickies to get 1/8 of a trophy piece. Oh, and then I can run around and find the place were the rare wheat grows where last week it was a petrochemical deposit. SO. Much. Fun.

I'm a sandbox guy, but SWG was pretty boring unless you PVP'd. There was virtually no end game to speak of until much later and that was in reaction to WoW, not because they ever devised it themselves. I didn't hate SWG pre-NGE, but I'm not looking back with giant nostalgia goggles on. SWG planets were not that big, honestly. I know, I ran from one side to the other pre-speeders doing Bounty Hunter investigation, when there was a one in three chance your mark would not be attackable. They were large swaths of nothing that eventually would become a lot of abandoned buildings.

I have my problems with SWTOR, but at least their worlds feel like actual locals and not a barren world with some objects and a bunch of shifting resources. SWGs world building wasn't even that good for its day. Everquest had much better crafted worlds. I'm sorry you feel that realist terrain features break your immersion, which sounds completely upside down to me.

SWG (I was an early beta tester, and stuck through it until NGE, and then came back a few years later) suffered from a lot of PvP-oriented issues. While I agree that it was a great game in its heyday, despite the bugs and issues, open world PvP left a lot to be desired in the beginning. The fact that it was always "if you want to" even on PvP servers, there was little or no world PvP action unless you were flagged as such. That's a short-coming that SWTOR managed to bypass, with the auto-flags as you enter non-safe zones.

That being said, I'm disappointed in SWTOR OWPvP since there are no rewards other than the "thrill" of it. While that, in and of itself is enough for me, an incentive to engage in the Galactic War, hinted at in EVERY SINGLE storyline, would be welcomed. The Rakghoul plague brought open world PvP to the PvP servers, and was greatly appreciated by me.

I play Emu, and enjoy it, but there are a lot of things that could be done better in regards to OWPvP, just as there are in SWTOR. Likewise with crafting -- I felt the crafting in SWG was superior to any other game I've ever played. You had to be dedicated and methodical to craft the best gear. Here, you crit and that's the end of it. You have NO ability to influence the outcome of the crafting.

With PvP, it's almost the same. There's a bit better planning involved in SWTOR than in SWG, but not much. In SWG as a Rifleman (or any other combat class), I could snipe players quite easily with little or no effort. Here, I have to plan my attacks a bit more, depending on where I am and what I'm doing.

Bottom Line: BW needs to implement reasons to engage in Open World PvP, with appropriate rewards (whether experience, items, Valor, etc, I don't care ... just something). Otherwise, it's just a PvP game on rails, much like space combat (and that's not a knock against SC ... I actually enjoy it as it is at the moment).

SWG had huge open, barren world with very little to do except grind mission terminals (or serverely bugged Bounty Hunter investigation missions). Did we play the same game?

TORs maps are bigger than SWG's "planets."

Far be it from terrain features to be an obsticle, that just so sucks of real life. There is a reason roads normal traverse the low points in a mountain range. TOR's maps are beautiful crafted representations of their terrain type. SWG's maps are fractal generated maps with a little artist input her and there.

You could not "orbit" a planet you were just on in SWG. You could be in a space zone with a big giant backdrop of the planet you were just on.

While SWTOR landscape is beautifull , and very detailed , SWG maps were way bigger. You could spend entire days exploring Tat in SWG but be done completely with SWTOR Tat in 1 day (all quests and completly uncover everything)

Lets take Hutta in SWTOR for an example. No one gets a speeder there (or Typhon for the pubs) and compare it with Rori (one of the first starter planets for SWG) and no mount/speeders. We all know in 1 day you can completely explore all of Hutta or Typhon(sp) on foot , but that wasn't the case with Rori in SWG (and it was one of the smaller planets) and thats with both SWG and SWTOR using their current and best forms of npc transportation.

In space you could orbit and get close to the planets (and even bounce off them) where as in SWTOR you can't move your ship at all. You could travel into the middle of a "space storm" and watch the lightning or travel to the event horizon of a black hole and watch it. You could even move into a "contested zone" and watch npc's fly past you fighting it out and blowing up or jump right into it and fight with/vs them.

Most liked the idea of actually having to watch where your going in a speeder chase or a pvp battle. It gave realism to it. If you just auto ran , you'd run into a boulder and get stuck while the guy chasing you caught up. Or run into a tree and blow up your speeder (remember the first day of speeders? the store your speeder bug and C-net crowded with blown speeders cause peeps ran into trees and rocks? Finding a crashed speeder while your BH hunting and knowing your prey was just here and must be near.)

Combat was deeper? C'mon. How many usable variations were there if you wanted to be competative in PVP? Fencer/TK and Rifleman/Combat Medic? Anything with a "mind" shot that emphasized stun, so much that battle in the vaunted SWG universe involved 90% of the PVP'ers running around with a stun baton or a Jawa Ion Rifle. Yeah, real deep.

Your just speaking of FOTM'ers. Just like here you got peeps that were merc/sorc going to sniper/gunslinger.

Really good players never touched CM/MR or MF/MTK. They were the ones who went out and were MF/MD with def vs TK mods and a mind fire stun bat or a MCH/MR who didn't even use a rifle but had a bile drinched quenker with a mind posion dot.

Using the mind dots was just as much part of competive pvp as using interupts here , but they could be countered.

It was deep. Just cause the guy your facing was a BH didn't mean you knew anything about the attacks he could use. What if he took medic skills , or fencer skills , or even jedi skills (it didn't work well , but you could be a BH and have force cloak or heal) He wouldn't have any of the same attacks as you if he even spent 4 points differently than you. It was a suprise. Here there is no suprise. No extra moves. In the opening attacks you know every attack or ability your enemy has. He's one of 3 set branches that both of you can have. No more , no less. (with exceptions if they want to spend less in a pool and get less bang for their buck)

SWG is way better than SWTOR in every aspect. im not saying SWTOR is bad however no one can deny its a wow clone.

SWG PvP Video, compare this to pvp in swtor and see for yourself which is better

rolf the video you posted is after the CU and NGE. The entire reason they did both the CU and NGE was to make SWG like WoW. So which game is REALLY the WoW clone???

I wish TOR had something like Restuss. No, I do not count Illum as such a place. Restuss PvP was some of the most exciting PvP I participated in. The faction bases were pretty fun too. Especially when all the Imperial guilds would trade of keeping watch on them to get the rewards. Good times. I am a little burnt out on objective based PvP. It get's stale after a while.

Yeah, you win. I want a game where I can run around a square and kill a million doo-hickies to get 1/8 of a trophy piece. Oh, and then I can run around and find the place were the rare wheat grows where last week it was a petrochemical deposit. SO. Much. Fun.

I'm a sandbox guy, but SWG was pretty boring unless you PVP'd. There was virtually no end game to speak of until much later and that was in reaction to WoW, not because they ever devised it themselves. I didn't hate SWG pre-NGE, but I'm not looking back with giant nostalgia goggles on. SWG planets were not that big, honestly. I know, I ran from one side to the other pre-speeders doing Bounty Hunter investigation, when there was a one in three chance your mark would not be attackable. They were large swaths of nothing that eventually would become a lot of abandoned buildings.

I have my problems with SWTOR, but at least their worlds feel like actual locals and not a barren world with some objects and a bunch of shifting resources. SWGs world building wasn't even that good for its day. Everquest had much better crafted worlds. I'm sorry you feel that realist terrain features break your immersion, which sounds completely upside down to me.

Lets not go into end game , cause its a moot point. This game as of now has no end game content either. At least in SWG , even those kill a jillion of this to get 1/8th of a trophy were different and confusing at times. You might actually have to hunt down to find out where that creature was and take a group of friends to do it. Here , there is no random missions you can do at 50. You go to the fleet , pick a ops or FP and get in a pug. Run it and its done. Even those have the kill a jillion things to get this bonus mission completed for not. Even once you do it , there is no change to it next time. Its the same loop over and over. You can't go in and say "Well , last time it was like this , but now its not. We got to search over there for it or do this instead"

20 missions you can repeat over and over. Tops.

In SWG you had that too , but more. You had the collections (which some added stats to your character which helped in pvp or pve) and gave you special goods (speeders and such , even certain space ships or pets)That was about 100 of those. Then you had planet specific missions. Temple of Exar Kun has a seriers of 6 missions on Yavin , then later another mission was put in that was pretty cool. The Geno caves on Yavin were pretty cool with the Ackley beast in it , and if you killed it there was a chance for rare loot that was used for crafting awesome weapons.

Then there was the Tusken bunker on Tat , Jabas palace quests , mark of the Hero quests , Jedi Trials , the hunt for the Gorax and his bones and the giant bird on Naboo (forgot its name) Collect the feather , bone and hide (that was from the Kimo on Lok , and they took a group) and you got cool armor. Dathomir quests , Emperor's retreat quests , Theed palace quests , there was some guy that was hard as heck on Corellia that was another quest set. Thats just off the top of my head , all before speeders and barely after mounts. Thats about 6-8months into the game. Even if you hit top lvl , you still couldn't complete all of these without the help of friends , and even then , it was months long process that some never got to complete untill after Trials of Obi-Wan expansion. And still they took large groups.

So far in SWTOR , i've done on 1 toon all missions , FP's and ops that my class/faction/profession can do. Crafting has no purpose. I can make more creds off selling what my crafters get off missions than what can be made. (or even loot on the GTN for that matter)All thats left is pvp and even that is lacking. No deversity. No suprise , no tactics. Point , click , run here , node/protect this.Rinse , repeat. No random , looking over my shoulder for the bad guy while questing aspect. I've even caped on valor as much as needs be. Got the gear maxed (with a few exceptions) and even have 3 other toons up to lvl 50/valor50 and working on toons from the other faction.

From beta to end , i never had a lack of something to do in SWG , even if i didn't feel like doing guild runs in one of the many dungeons , or pvp in Restuss or Tat or Theed or at the bases , i could craft or run collections or just help a guildie plant harvesters. Not so here. Not much i can do to hang out with guildies but the 20-30 missions at top lvl or que up for the same pvp instances over and over.

Sorry, I stopped reading there cuz I was laughing so hard.

Graphics is the only advantage SWTOR has. Everything else, namely gameplay and sense of community... you know, the "Massive Multiplayer Online" part of MMORPG, is markedly inferior.

But they don't wanna play it, because its not the same.....wait what?

Actually, it won't exactly be the same. Not really ready yet, AFAIK. Also, when the game was gutted in 2005, it destroyed something that was vital to the game at the time: The great community. Not sure how that can be recreated for a game that no longer existed since '05. But I'll wait and see.

Specifically SWG in the Pre-CU/NGE days, it was far superior to SWTOR. Combat was deeper, character development deeper (SWTOR only 2 primary stats? LOL!), Skillpoint / Template System instead of old Class + Level System.

Some tidbits on the sophistication of combat.

+ Weapons had accuracy bonuses and penalties. Firstly, you had short, medium, and long ranges. Melee of course had accuracy for those very short ranges. Pistols had great short range accuracy but limited range overall. Blaster Rifles had great long range accuracy, so-so medium, and bad short range accuracy. You had Blaster Carbines that was a compromise in ranges and accuracy.

+ Postures providing accuracy: Standing provided less accuracy for shooting. Kneeling provided a sounder base for accuracy in shooting, while letting you get up and move quicker if you need to, or drop to the prone position. In the prone position, you had the best accuracy for shooting, but mobility sucked and you were quite vulnerable if someone got onto you for melee.

+ More forms of defense: You had Melee Defense and Ranged Defense, very specific stuff. Then there were stats that you could increase like Dodge, Parry, and Block.

That's to name a few.

How you got different stats depended on how you progressed your character. As I mentioned before, it was done via the Skillpoint / Template Character Build System. There were no classes in the sense of most MMORPGs. You dabbled into different "Professions," both basic and advanced versions, to get varied skills and stats from those fields. It was up to YOU to figure a combination to your liking, and PvP'ers were always, ALWAYS trying to find a fresh, unique build that gave them advantages while masking their weaknesses. Anyways, you had 251 points total to spend as you got experience. Crazily, I found a Pre-CU style SWG Profession Calculator. Brought back alot of memories... To get to an "Advanced Profession," you first had to learn bits of a "Basic Profession."

The old version of SWG let you DO more things in the game world, combat and non-combat.

You can lay down housing anywhere and decorate it to your hearts content. There were also the player made cities. Or there were many enough players in some major hubs in the game, such as Coronet (Corellia), Theed (Naboo), Bestine (Imperial held / Tatooine), Anchorhead (Rebel held / Tatooine), and the middle ground, Mos Eisley on Tatooine. Later when space was implemented, you can even customize the external appearance of your ship, and not to mention decorate the interior of your multi-crewed ship to your hearts content like it was a house.

How cool was it to have your own YT-1200 transport, the same class the Millenium Falcon was based off, decorate it, outfit it to your liking, inviting buddies / guildies aboard, and you fly them around, all the while your friends can man the gun turrets? SWG let you do that. Here's an old screenshot I had of an X-Wing that I had customized with patterns and paint. The parts like Engines, Weapons, etc. actually can change on appearance, depending on what you load up. In my ship's case, I specifically wanted parts that made my X-Wing look like the ones from the movies, but with my own custom paint scheme. Not bad for an expansion pack that came out in 2004.

You had players that found non-combat aspects of the game to their liking, and dedicated their playtime to that aspect. You had many players that were dedicated Entertainers (they provided buffs as well as recovering fatigue from combat / adventuring), Crafters, and Merchants. Guys that played only that and didn't even lift a blaster! If they wanted to go somewhere dangerous for something, they could bring friends to protect them or hire players to come out with them for protection as bodyguards.

You had a true player run game economy, because the game in the Pre-CU/NGE days was not based off loot. It was based off crafted gear that eventually gets worn down and breaks. What this meant was that there was always a cycle of demand for goods, and many sought to fill those demands, some doing this as their only reason of playing. Because, unlike 95% of other MMORPGs with indestructible gear, crafters no longer had to worry about making one sale and never seeing that customer ever again.

Crafters, if they were good and provided a fair price, could get repeat business. Not to mention many items had stats that were affected by the Crafter. What materials he used, the quality of resources used, his character's crafting stats, knowledge of the very, very deep and varied crafting system, the quality of his tools, and quality of his equipment (factory runs, etc.). Some got great enough in thier fields to garner fierce loyalty from adventurers, who always argued who was the best Weaponsmith, Armorsmith, Shipwright, etc. of the server.

PvP and PvE, was completely unlike SWTOR. In SWTOR, PvE and PvP as well as the 2 factions are almost completely separated from each other. SWG? They existed in the same game worlds. As a pure PvE'er, you can see PvP'ers fighting each other across the dunes of Tatooine or in the hills of Dantooine or Corellia, all while you do your own business. On the flip side to that though, as a PvE'er, if you're doing missions where you're attacking faction NPCs, you get "flagged," and an active PvPer from the opposing faction can attack you, all in the name of defending the honor of the Empire / Rebellion. This has often sparked a wave of PvP in an area.

Factioned Guilds could spend points / resources to lay down forts and bases, and those became targetted by PvPers from the opposing faction. "Base Busting" was a big point for PvP, and some large fights occured to defend or attack them.

Anyways, I can really go on about the different things old SWG let players do. The game worlds was more alive, more dynamic, and the game actually let you do a whole lot of things. SWTOR is just very limited in its scope and what you can do in the game. In SWTOR, there

So much nostalgia... Lovely post mate :)

The game is way to divided. The design is very blatant in splitting the population to as little segments as possible.

This is one of my biggest issues with the current game. It's especially disappointing on a pvp server. They have gone out of their way to separate the factions geographically. Despite its faults, I really miss the idea of being able to run into pvp anywhere in the game. That's what SWG had that this game doesn't. I don't like the separate 'fleets.' I don't like how the maps are very clearly divided by faction. And I don't like having a pvp 'planet' with a bunch of pve 'content.' I never thought I would say this but I miss Restuss in a big way. I miss the static bases too. I miss loading into a star port flagged SF not knowing what I'm going to run into. I miss getting bounty checked, seeing a huge bounty on my head, and thinking I better be on the look out. I miss waiting for my group to arrive at a dungeon and getting ganked by a team of bounty hunters. I miss trying to get a full entertainer buff with the possibility of getting jumped by a spy. I miss guild wars. SWG had a LOT of problems, sure. But it was much more engaging for me.

Even if they did have any interest in adding those elements, I'm not sure where they would begin given the inherent design of the game.

I played SWG. Game was source of much frustration and joy. Here are my comparison-thoughts from the perspective of what was good and what was poor about SWG.

SWG > TOR

Crafting was much more involved and there was a real need for markets. Setting up mining stations and having to do the rounds was a cool way of keeping people logged in! Really cared who was crafting stuff for you as items weren't generic (i.e. could be crafted very well / poorly, etc.)

Player Cities being able to build sprawling mansions (and decorate them) at random spots on planets was absolutely fantastic. Having people plop down beside you and negotiating the creation of a city was really, really neat.

Space Combat was an excellent edition, almost a game to itself and reminded me of the old tie fighter / x-wing games. Being able to strap friends into a gunner spot or having them walk around your frigate and see the stars spinning around as the pilot moved it about was REALLY, cool. TOR has nothing on this.

Populous Servers was a big plus. There are more people playing TOR but it can feel somewhat lonesome at times, especially when you get to the later planets and care about doing the bonus heroics! SWG was probably the opposite problem (way too many people) but the plus side was that there were always more advanced players around to help.

TOR < SWG

Lack of Jedi was a severe failing. I was 48-hours away from becoming force sensitive when they closed down the system / changed the rules. Suffice it to say I was not very pleased. They should have stuck to their guns and not had force sensitives, rather than making people spends weeks and weeks working towards a goal only to keep on changing the specifics.

Design resets were an even bigger failing. Logging in only to have my carefully constructed armour NO LONGER FIT ME was very, very irritating and a sign the developers had -- quite frankly -- not done their jobs properly in the planning phase.

Episode 4.5 was not a smart choice, because the specifics of the galactic war were written decades before the game came out. While we know how TOR ends, it is set so far before the movies that we have 2 thousand years of blank information to fill out. It was very difficult to feel invested in the SWG story or characters considering you knew what was going to happen to all the big players

Quests were very generic. I literally can't remember a thing about my storyline from SWG. TOR has superior writing in almost every respect.

Anyways, TOR is in my opinion a better game with a lot more potential. To be honest, I think most of my critiques of TOR can (and seems like will) be addressed.

The only two things that I think SWG will have on TOR are:

1) The SpaceSim aspect. I don't see why they couldn't add this but it would be a mega, mega expansion to be honest. The frigates could remain as is, but they could add fighters that players are more "free" to navigate.

2) Player-built cities. I think it is impossible in the world they've created. They should consider more of an ability to custom-design your frigate and I have hopes that the guild-capital ships won't simply be generic ships.

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus

SWG had huge open, barren world with very little to do except grind mission terminals (or serverely bugged Bounty Hunter investigation missions). Did we play the same game?

TORs maps are bigger than SWG's "planets."

Far be it from terrain features to be an obsticle, that just so sucks of real life. There is a reason roads normal traverse the low points in a mountain range. TOR's maps are beautiful crafted representations of their terrain type. SWG's maps are fractal generated maps with a little artist input her and there.

You could not "orbit" a planet you were just on in SWG. You could be in a space zone with a big giant backdrop of the planet you were just on.

I'm sorry, but swg planets were bigger. Swtor planets look nicer, I agree, but in swg u could go anywhere. In tor you can't. Take tattooine for example. You could go to eisley, bestine, any of the towns, no matter what faction. Where are all the towns in tor. I see one. It doesn't feel like a planet, just areas. But then I guess that's due to it being a themepark mmo, not sandbox.

And I know you couldn't fly around the planet. I meant you could launch to space above the planet you were just on. You can't do that in tor.

Pre-NGE was great, yes they made a lot of folks like me quit with the NGE.

Yet TOR does have some kewl things.

It just blows my mind how they had and I am sure played/looked at SWG.

Yet, they do not have half the things SWG or many other MMO's for that matter have.

Look at AION, it is now F2P and they have had and are adding so much more to the game.

Sad, that BW did not put the many things MMo players came to expect and love.

I do not see TOR lasting as a "final P2P game" as has been stated, it will go F2P all to soon and that is sad...:(

I have un-subbed, I will play the free 30 days to see what I see and hope I see a glimmer of hope.

If not, well off to another game or just go outside...

Edited by DogMeat

To me Star Wars galaxies sounds like a Minecraft MMO with a Star wars feel to it

Am i wrong? And also how is the EMU of SWG because its making me think of playing it?

the EMU of swg is pretty good they are still working on getting it back to where it was right before the swg nge. swg 2003-2007 was very popular, more popular then WoW. when WoW was upgrading/changing some stuff in their game, SOE got all hyped up and wanted to do the same thing but messed it up in 2006 or 2007, SOE was nervous because of competitors. 2008 or even sooner people left swg and ran over to WoW. there was no mmo like swg at all. If you look up videos of swg pre-cu, you'd know what its like. if swg wasn't shut down I would go back to it even if its swg nge, its interesting because SOE didn't give out credits on the last day of swg but gave out other stuff. Maybe they plan on rereleasing the game.

SWG was the biggest spit in the face to Star Wars since Karen Traviss....

Rebels and Imerials hugging in RP cantinas.

Jedi dueling in front of Darth Vader.

PVP'ers in hot pants (or hawt pnts) and fairy wings screaming in caps "I PWN'D YOU NOOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, then due to cross faction chat, wich was so great, i got to hear the opposite side tell me how they were going to ra-pe my children.

SOE doing absolutly zero nothing to exposed exploiters if they had multiple accounts, yes i can name names.

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG, no matter what your rig.

Jedi were the biggest joke in the game and hated / excluded from every single thing.

Player cities / housing littering the scenery of most every planet, because there was 15 cities and thousands of houses on the desert wasteland planet of Tatooine right....right?

ECT,ECT,ECT.

Peeked in every few months for 8 years....no game is supposed to get worse over time.

the EMU of swg is pretty good they are still working on getting it back to where it was right before the swg nge. swg 2003-2007 was very popular, more popular then WoW. when WoW was upgrading/changing some stuff in their game, SOE got all hyped up and wanted to do the same thing but messed it up in 2006 or 2007, SOE was nervous because of competitors. 2008 or even sooner people left swg and ran over to WoW. there was no mmo like swg at all. If you look up videos of swg pre-cu, you'd know what its like. if swg wasn't shut down I would go back to it even if its swg nge, its interesting because SOE didn't give out credits on the last day of swg but gave out other stuff. Maybe they plan on rereleasing the game.

no it wasn't very popular 2003-2007 thats the entire reason they did the NGE and CU

http://rubenfield.com/?p=86