The whole reason I rolled PvP was to kill lowbies

Kaltastic

Still don't think you get the fact that it's just a game. Regardless of what you think, the way people play a GAME doesn't directly relate to how they act in the real world. I am neither a bully nor criminal. Just because someone wants to make it a challenge for other people to level, or do whatever else they're doing at a generally lower level, doesn't mean those people thrive on making someone else's game experience hell. If you don't like getting killed by players at their discretion DON'T ROLL A PVP SERVER. But you must be the kind of person that gets really upset when you get ganged up on or focus fired on warzones cause you didn't get a fair 1v1 fight.

You are forgetting the fact that every game needs someone to play with.

No matter what the reasoning or justification used for whatever kind of action done within a game, anything and everything people do inside can never get past the fact that a MMOG is - like it or not - presumes a social function. Even the aspect of competition and antagonization is justified so long as it is under the control of mutual consent. And in cases the definition/translation of that 'mutual consent' can be controversial, the rule of thumb is to follow the most conservative translation possible which may cater for both parties.

Therefore, while making a character in a PvP server, and entering a PvP zone in those servers already presupposes that the player has agreed upon the terms and consequences following any possible PvP action, there is still a possibility certain actions - combined with malicious and spiteful intent - may be considered as and act of intentional griefing for the purpose of causing anger and distress - rather than trying to purely enjoy the PvP experience under mutually and reasonablly fair conditions.

It needs to be judged case-by-case, and in this case, the OP is a classic example of an internet sociopath and a griefer. If someone is so pissed off to report the OP and as a result he gets banned, I'd consider it just.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they believe (somehow) that attacking lower level players will dislodge other 50's from what their doing to go after them. The answer is simple: No, it doesn't. 50's all have their own agendas, they aren't some form of Concord/Rent-a-Cop that is patrolling the server.

Yes it will.

I used to play WOW on a pvp server and got ganked alot. Even though I obviously would prefer not to be ganked myself, I loved seeing how minutes later high level players came running in from everywhere and a huge battle errupted.

All in all, I don't mind ganking, if it's not aimed at *me*. With that I mean, I don't mind if they kill me because I just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. If someone follows me around and camps, that's something else entirely.

If for example imps could say "we're going to take out republic fleet" (if it were possible) and succeed, that would be amazing (though admittedly also highly annoying) kudos to them. If they they were to go camp on a lowbie planet to be disruptive and simply leave as soon as reinforcements show up, well, that's not the same.

Flightmasters should be killable.

That would take the griefing to a whole new level.

Those were glorious times :cool:.

I remember putting a level 20~ on the deck of Alliance boats with a dozen or so 60s underneath drooling for the poor group who climbed on and attacked him (prior to the release of the first BGs even). I also remember them doing the same on our Zeps and the battles that insued which only escelated over literal hours (no one ran away from the opposition which DID show up).

People nay-saying and wanting to compartmentalize PvP with their own psuedo-morals in an imaginary world must have never gotten to participate in this kind of epicness. That or they hate fun. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and assume the former.

I also remember the truly epic quest to get my water totem which required me to travel BY FOOT to Tarren Mill in my 20s and that zone made the most chaotic WZ look like Disney World. It took me about 4 hours and the help and coordination of 7+ similarly leveled friends. We never once considered crying on the forums about it though. I guess our socially malformed brains actually considered the challenge fun instead of skipping to the town and back. Oh and indeed I was the only one who got any "tangible" benefit from that 4 hour trek, we all had fun though.

As someone who used to go into lowbie home bases (Alderann) and spaceports before I thought better of it, I can say that the truth is that the motivation isn't about PvP at all. Of course, I can't generalize too much as everyone is different, but based on what the posters have said it sounds pretty familiar.

It wasn't that I was looking for PvP. I was mainly just bored and thought it would be fun to annoy some lowbies. I had a great time standing at the entrance to the spaceport keeping people out/in, but I wasn't enjoying it because it was PvP. For that, I'd much rather go out and find another 50. Rather, I was enjoying it because I got to have a good laugh at the expense of some poor level 35.

It's stupid and really not in the spirit of respect that we should be having for other players, same faction or not.

Those were glorious times :cool:.

I remember putting a level 20~ on the deck of Alliance boats with a dozen or so 60s underneath drooling for the poor group who climbed on and attacked him (prior to the release of the first BGs even). I also remember them doing the same on our Zeps and the battles that insued which only escelated over literal hours (no one ran away from the opposition which DID show up).

People nay-saying and wanting to compartmentalize PvP with their own psuedo-morals in an imaginary world must have never gotten to participate in this kind of epicness. That or they hate fun. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and assume the former.

I also remember the truly epic quest to get my water totem which required me to travel BY FOOT to Tarren Mill in my 20s and that zone made the most chaotic WZ look like Disney World. It took me about 4 hours and the help and coordination of 7+ similarly leveled friends. We never once considered crying on the forums about it though. I guess our socially malformed brains actually considered the challenge fun instead of skipping to the town and back. Oh and indeed I was the only one who got any "tangible" benefit from that 4 hour trek, we all had fun though.

In BC, I used to stealth to the Nagrand Flightmaster on top of the Alliance inn with my Rogue and gank people as they disembarked (usually AFK). Then I'd kill the Flightmaster and gank people trying to fly out. Then I'd kill the innkeeper and vendors.

I'd also stealth into Stormwind with a group of chums and chain-gank the Flightmaster, which usually resulted in a massed brawl (and people falling into the moat). This was doubly entertaining after server reset, when guilds wanted to fly out from Stormwind to Kara.

Good times.

Edited by Squatdog_nz

faction-instanced areas should have been removed from all PVP servers with options for cross-faction interaction on every level, up to and including assaults on the emperor's palace and or supreme chancellor/jedi council's areas.

All these posts about the scourge of griefing, how dishonorable and disgusting it is, how something has to be done about it, etc, etc.

The whole reason I rolled on a PvP server was to level up and then re-visit the lowbie areas and cause havoc. My goal is to effectively shut down questing for the other side in an area until one of two things happens:

1.) They recruit some high level help who is able to come and kill me

2.) Some one rolls an alt on my side and asks me nicely to stop, possibly offering credits as a bribe at the same time.

If there is a point where I will get bored or tired of 1-shotting someone when all they are trying to do is complete a quest I have yet to reach it. My only regret is that there is no way to travel to the opposing factions fleet / capitals and be a nuisance there too...

You were always picked last for kickball weren't you?

Haha, yes at this point the game could actually become FUN.

Ha ha, Dwarf Fortress. Also, there are really two sides to this argument. The first is that random pvp can inspire community, though it is unlikely to work in a game like this. It is important, however, that the player on offense doesn't act like a FILTERED, which I think is unlikely for the OP. The other, is that for some people, this is not wanted, in which case the attacker must act with discretion, which is, again, unlikely from the OP. So, while I may enjoy these things on the receiving end, the ability to do so requires discretion, and maturity from BOTH players. Also, losing is fun. I would also like to suggest that the OP try a game where PvP is encouraged. I am not sure it is in this game, as I am too lazy to participate, as of yet. Try Achaea, and enjoy coding your own healing system. Good god, this was rambly. Sorry, I've been drinking.

Yes it will.

I used to play WOW on a pvp server and got ganked alot. Even though I obviously would prefer not to be ganked myself, I loved seeing how minutes later high level players came running in from everywhere and a huge battle errupted.

All in all, I don't mind ganking, if it's not aimed at *me*. With that I mean, I don't mind if they kill me because I just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. If someone follows me around and camps, that's something else entirely.

If for example imps could say "we're going to take out republic fleet" (if it were possible) and succeed, that would be amazing (though admittedly also highly annoying) kudos to them. If they they were to go camp on a lowbie planet to be disruptive and simply leave as soon as reinforcements show up, well, that's not the same.

This guy has the right idea.

All these posts about the scourge of griefing, how dishonorable and disgusting it is, how something has to be done about it, etc, etc.

The whole reason I rolled on a PvP server was to level up and then re-visit the lowbie areas and cause havoc. My goal is to effectively shut down questing for the other side in an area until one of two things happens:

2.) Some one rolls an alt on my side and asks me nicely to stop, possibly offering credits as a bribe at the same time.

If there is a point where I will get bored or tired of 1-shotting someone when all they are trying to do is complete a quest I have yet to reach it. My only regret is that there is no way to travel to the opposing factions fleet / capitals and be a nuisance there too...

Greifers get sent to the airlock, by the way.

You know what's fun is to invade opposing towns and even better, their spaceport! The guards really aren't that hard to kill or get past, and you get the pleasure of "blockading" the planet.

Unfortunately there aren't many NPC's to kill once you pass the guards.

Yep, you can get into most of them.

Never been to Mortal Online have you? It is sure to make 99.9% of wanna be PvP'rs rage quit in 1 sitting.. I have never been repeatedly ganked over and over, almost never the same person, as I have trying to start out in that game. Been playing since UO and AC days and I raged at times while I was just trying to make some start up cash. Fun at first, but after 4 hrs of corpse running it got old lol.

Sounds like EVE. Where a first day nublet WILL get ganked in high security space by a frigate that flips either a kill or a mining can and turns red. As he targets the nublet, said nublet will be targeting him back and firing instinctively. At that point, Can Flipper will pwn the nublet in the teeth. After the nublet is in his pod, he'll loot the wreck, post the kill on Battleclinic, and go do it to someone else. :)

That was my M/O for a while. :D I just wasn't stupid enough to advertise it or rub it in peoples' faces. :p

Dear Bad A** Guy :) if you were on ToFN after you invade some spaceport you got maybe 10-12mins before battlemaster/wh ppl come and kil/punishl you :) .......and believe me that happes a lot :)

Edited by Ogi-Wan-BG

Intentionally interfering with someones ability to play the game is a breach of the ToS.

I understand PvP on a PvP server, but what you are doing is not PvP... you admitted yourself you do it to disrupt their play.

No, it's not. I've seen a response from a GM in-game to a report of 50's camping lowbie shuttle zones, preventing players from enter/leaving a planet. The response was essentially "X Server is a PvP server, you should recruit high levels to clear the shuttles."

On a PvP server, all PvP is fair play. You guys decrying immaturity and whatnot are entitled to your opinions, but it's not a breach of ToS, and reporting it is pointless.

No, it's not. I've seen a response from a GM in-game to a report of 50's camping lowbie shuttle zones, preventing players from enter/leaving a planet. The response was essentially "X Server is a PvP server, you should recruit high levels to clear the shuttles."

On a PvP server, all PvP is fair play. You guys decrying immaturity and whatnot are entitled to your opinions, but it's not a breach of ToS, and reporting it is pointless.

In Hoth caves massacre is going on every single day :)

In Hoth caves massacre is going on every single day :)

Exactly, and this is what drives me nuts. Players whine all day there's no Open World PvP in this game because the artificially manufactured Ilum zone is dead. But it's not true, there's PvP to be had all over the place, but people are like sheep, and will only be herded into the zones created for them that give them their little carrots.

SWG, as an example, had some of the best OW-PvP I've played, because it was organic, unpredictable, and massive. 50 people raiding a city for hours, finally getting pushed back by calls to other mayors for help, and then retaliating with a huge strike force. There were no flashy medals, no shiny explosions over your toons head when he got a kill, it was just FUN.

People have gotten way to lazy, and conditioned to this idea that PvP has to be structured, and that it is pointless if not rewarded. An attitude that has really damaged the most entertaining element of MMO's.

Exactly, and this is what drives me nuts. Players whine all day there's no Open World PvP in this game because the artificially manufactured Ilum zone is dead. But it's not true, there's PvP to be had all over the place, but people are like sheep, and will only be herded into the zones created for them that give them their little carrots.

SWG, as an example, had some of the best OW-PvP I've played, because it was organic, unpredictable, and massive. 50 people raiding a city for hours, finally getting pushed back by calls to other mayors for help, and then retaliating with a huge strike force. There were no flashy medals, no shiny explosions over your toons head when he got a kill, it was just FUN.

People have gotten way to lazy, and conditioned to this idea that PvP has to be structured, and that it is pointless if not rewarded. An attitude that has really damaged the most entertaining element of MMO's.

+1 Mate :)

What we done at Hoth ? Well I saw commando+vanguard+sage and form a party ......after that was fun 4vs4 in the caves, man ilum cant compare :) btw after fight sith bow to us and then everyone gone questing - ofc sith wasnt able to quest in this moment :)

EDIT: its good for ppl to read info about PvP server when choose to play on that kind of server

Edited by Ogi-Wan-BG

Whatever floats your boat... and this is why I will never roll on a PVP server....

And also why every medic droid needs a one shot kill champion next to them....

Just imagine how mad they get when you kill them while reminding them why they have to farm lowbies in the first place.

Edited by Seriasx

Obvious troll is obvious. But also, there is something sweeter than the tears of POed raging out lowbies.

The tears of the people offing them.

It's a delicious joy to prey on them, stalking them where-ever they go, ruining their kills and occasionally taunting them. It just eats alot of them alive deep down, that you're having fun at their expense and can just sit there offing them repeatedly and showing them up in front of the lowbies. At least if they're 'real' griefers and not just someone who is bored and doing it for a brief change of pace. Those people just lol and then leave/fight you straight, which is also good.

I commend your spirit of wishing digital harm to opposing players in there low level areas. I agree Nothing is funner then gutting lowbies and them not being able to do a damn thing about it. All these people thinking that your a coward are ridiculous. The sole purpose i PvP is to be hated. I want people to say "F" that guy every time they see me. This is a game after all. Its not like your robbing the kids that come off the short bus at high school stealing there lunch money. Everyone that opposes you on here lacks the self confidence in the real world and decides that the internet is the time and place to stand up to people like you and me that thinks its hilarious to pick on the lowbies. Keep doing what your doin, you have my support.

Haha! Go back to Eve Online where people like you belong.

Yeah in a proper PVP sandbox mmo ;)

Sounds like EVE. Where a first day nublet WILL get ganked in high security space by a frigate that flips either a kill or a mining can and turns red. As he targets the nublet, said nublet will be targeting him back and firing instinctively. At that point, Can Flipper will pwn the nublet in the teeth. After the nublet is in his pod, he'll loot the wreck, post the kill on Battleclinic, and go do it to someone else. :)

That was my M/O for a while. :D I just wasn't stupid enough to advertise it or rub it in peoples' faces. :p

You cannot can flip and get waay with it in the new player starter systems, you get banned for it.

Plus, if you ignore the great big "WARNING: you are going to steal something and piss off the owner" then you deserve a face full of Scorch. All part of the learning curve. A good thing as far as I am concerned; people should take responsibility for their actions.

Edited by QuiJonPed

The possibility of sneaking onto the republic fleet by stealing a cargo ship and then wreaking havoc makes me salivate.

God I hope they implement that one day. It would be glorious. They could send out messages on the intercom on the fleets telling people where the invasion is and they could contact level 50 players all over via holocom to come join the fight.

This is the sad face of Empire PvP. George Lucas modelled the Empire in Star Wars on Nazi Germany, and clearly that has proved to be an attracting factor that might explain to some extent faction imbalances, and PvP fantasies of the Empire faction towards the Republic faction on many servers.

A sociopath well on his way to full-blown psychopath.