Lost Island HM Drops, What?!!!!

So I've been doing LI HM for a while now and on the whole I find it an enjoyable flashpoint. The only thing I don't understand is why anyone would want to do it if it wasn't for the weekly for the Blackhole Commendation awards.

All of the bosses, apart from Dr Lorrick who drops the Rataka Chest, drop a mixture of columi gear. But the fact is you need to be in at least full Columi or to even attempt the flashpoint, even some people in full Rakata can have problems. The level of difficulty surely dictates that the drops be better and worthwhile. I'm thinking having the chance of every boss drop a Rakata piece or the last boss have a chance of dropping at least one Blackhole commendation.

I just don't understand BW's thinking behind the drops, anyone else think the same or could suggest better loot for people to keep going back down there?

No i dont agree, the flashpoint is much easier than people think it is. The hardest boss is the droid and we managed to 3man it with a shadow tank, sentinel DPS and sage DPS. If you interrupt everything, stand at the right places and know how to move the boss you barely take any damage at all. The other bosses are all easier and its ALL just about learning what to do.

Some bosses reward slight mistakes in positioning by almost instant deaths and of course the first time you do the flashpoint it will be hard since its all about knowing what to do and then doing it without mistakes. Being mostly columi is enough to do it and the fact that it drops a rakata chest that otherwise only drops from EV Soa HM is VERY generous for an instance like Lost island..

No i dont agree, the flashpoint is much easier than people think it is. The hardest boss is the droid and we managed to 3man it with a shadow tank, sentinel DPS and sage DPS. If you interrupt everything, stand at the right places and know how to move the boss you barely take any damage at all. The other bosses are all easier and its ALL just about learning what to do.

Some bosses reward slight mistakes in positioning by almost instant deaths and of course the first time you do the flashpoint it will be hard since its all about knowing what to do and then doing it without mistakes. Being mostly columi is enough to do it and the fact that it drops a rakata chest that otherwise only drops from EV Soa HM is VERY generous for an instance like Lost island..

But that's my point, why would you want to go there for columi if you need columi to even do it. The chest is generous I agree but once you have it there's it literately no need to keep going down except for the backhole comms once a week. I think it's just a shame that they put a lot of work into it and most people will only go down once a week, this also makes it harder for other people who want to go down for the gear. There needs to be more incentives imo, but thanks for your opinion.

I'd like to see a few more fluff awards and maybe some extra blackhole commendations. You're right, it is much harder than EV hardmode and KP hardmode both of which drop Rakata on every boss. Still, since there is no lockout on it, I can understand them not wanting to drop every Rakata piece because you could farm half your guilds gear in one day carrying people through. My solution would be to increase things like schematic drops, pet drops, additional pet drops, titles maybe, and blackhole comms to incentivize running it without handing away gear too easily.

What they should *NOT* do is nerf it because its one of the few challenging and fun things I enjoy doing right now.

Some full rakata groups have found it nigh on impossible, whilst at the same time other groups clear it with gear at columi level and below. This suggests to me that any difficulty with this HM FP is not a gear problem, its a player problem. If you learn the mechanics of the fights properly and have a nicely co-ordinated group of players, you can happily do it at a gear level where the columi rewards would be useful for at least some members of the group, and the rakata chest is an excellent bonus too. The weekly black hole comms are the icing on the cake, to make those above the level for the gear drops to have some reason to keep running it.

I think what it drops at the moment is perfectly fine. Sure, some people find it too hard even with good gear, perhaps they need to watch some videos and understand the fights better. You can't have it dropping vast amounts of top-level gear because then it makes doing EV/KP somewhat pointless, so the black hole weekly is a nice compromise to get people who out-gear it still to want to run it.

Anyway, whats wrong with doing it only once a week for the comms? You don't need to have content which is constantly farmable for gear, its quite nice to just visit something once a week so you don't get burned out on doing it.

As much as I would like or benefit from extra drops such as schematics etc, I think the loot level for this instance is just about right already. For people without much columi but who are good enough to understand that they have to play the fights well to get through them, it will be a nicely rewarding challenge. To people with columi already, the rakata chest will surely be a nice thing to grab. For people with rakata already, the black hole comms make it worthwhile to run every now and again too.

Loot table in this FP needs to be looked at... The first Mini Boss drops Corellia Comms LOL. and the other ones drop Tioneese Comms...

The FP is geared for people with Columi or better. you can do it with less but its much much harder.

The hardest Boss being the LR-5 (which I think got Ninja Nerf'd)

Each Boss is designed ideally for a Range Heavy DPS Group. Best to not have Melee. can be done with Melee but makes it harder.

The gear progression for this FP doesn't seem to make any sense. you need Columi to do it, why drop the gear set comms below it?

As an experiment, we took a group of 4 guildies, Assassin tank, Jugg DPS (me), Operative DPS and Merc Healer. We allowed ourselves to wear Columi bracers (BT is really easy), Columi Gloves (BP is also easy) and the rest of our gear was Tionese level. We then ran the FP on HM.

We completed the FP in about 1 hour 30 minutes. We all knew the fights and had completed LI HM several times before. The first boss wiped us the first time, no wipes on the second boss, 3rd (optional) boss wiped us 2 times, once because the tank DCd right as the fight started, and once because the healer got dumb (lol). Final fight was a little tough, took us 3 tries to fine-tune our tactics.

If you know the fights and work together then LI HM can be done in less than Columi gear. The more Columi you have the easier it gets. But if you do not know the fights then it is extremely difficult. That is a good thing, IMO.

You could use it to farm columni mods for your alts ? :) Blow through it in your t2/t3 gear and get the stuff to mail to your alts.

Only takes 4 people to farm it rather than 8 for an operation, and its daily.

Edited by Vylettes

What makes this place hard is basicly the same as bioware always seem to do.

If you bring a tank and rest ranged the whoie instance is a joke.

Bring 2 mele and 1 ranged healer and lets see how easy it is.

This... Bioware hates us melee... Except for the Bantha world boss, but that doesn't even the score

Oh great sage, please enlighten us with your grand strategy.

Seriously, if you're not BSing, tell me how you do it. With 2 ranged dps my well-geared group barely made it after several attempts, I could use a few pointers on what I'm missing.

Oh great sage, please enlighten us with your grand strategy.

Seriously, if you're not BSing, tell me how you do it. With 2 ranged dps my well-geared group barely made it after several attempts, I could use a few pointers on what I'm missing.

Tell your dps to play better...I hate to sound like a dick, but the majority of dps players out there are not great... they dont tweak their gear to get the most out of it, they use sub-optimal rotations, and crap builds and wonder why they hit enrage timers...

I like the flashpoint, it was tough at first until the mechanics got figured out. Now that everyone knows how to move and where to go, we can run it in about 45 minutes. Pretty good way to farm Rakata chest pieces since theirs no lockout (we checked ran twice back to back). I still need that chest too; it keeps dropping the same sith warrior one.

Black hole weekly gives incentive to run the flashpoints once a week , good design in my opinion.; I will admit that the tioniese comms were confusing to see with what the flashpoint threw at us though.

It defiantly is not melee friendly though. Seems ranged>melee for pve and ranged<melee for pvp.

Edited by TroyBerg

Bioware makes me regret rolling an Assassin DPS.

I love the Assassin for questing and leveling, but it ends there. Most groups don't want you if you're melee.

I would disagree.

It's not that groups don't want melee DPS, they just don't want two melee DPS. Melees tend to outnumber ranged significantly so the problem appears worse than it is.