===>Whats the MAXimum amount of money you would pay per character transfer?<===

Talsalus

One-time free for all chars, with no option to transfer to already full servers.. then there would have to be a fee or we'll end up like in Rift where people move around like crack bunnys.

Or just add a 6month cool down period and allow free transfers of all your chars within 3 days when you choose to transfer before having the 6 month cool down kick in.

Monetary limitation on transfers doesn't work, WoW is a prime example of that.

Edited by Bozse

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't pay anything. Getting to cap and gearing a character in this game are nothing. Especially when you've already done it and know what to do.

I know BW won't do it, but they really need to follow Rift's example. Free unlimited transfers to any non-full server. Then when a server reaches a low enough point you convert them to "Trial" servers and force the remaining people off. You do this enough and eventually you get down to a few healthy servers, and you never have the ugly words "SERVER MERGER" used.

I wouldn't pay anything. Getting to cap and gearing a character in this game are nothing. Especially when you've already done it and know what to do.

I know BW won't do it, but they really need to follow Rift's example. Free unlimited transfers to any non-full server. Then when a server reaches a low enough point you convert them to "Trial" servers and force the remaining people off. You do this enough and eventually you get down to a few healthy servers, and you never have the ugly words "SERVER MERGER" used.

that is a great tactic!

I'm on a dying server. If I am forced to pay, I'll cancell. The transfer process is not really all that difficult, charging for it is a cash grab. If BW/EA charges for it that will be the final nail in the coffin for me. Already seeing 2/3 of my guild unsub plus 2/3 of the guild we used to raid with unsub is getting to be too much.

Server merge or trasfers are desperately needed for some servers to breath life back into the game for those servers, but in true MMORPG fashion, I expect them to administer CPR once the body has been cold for several days :(

..because you know EA's not going to let them do it for free. WoW currently charges $25 per character transfer. Personally I believe each should be free, similar to the system rift has.

What do you guys think?

Whats the maximum amount you would be willing to pay to transfer to another server?

My max is $10-15.... and even that is too high imo

I would prefer $5 but id go as high as $10 but that would be it...

Anyone who thinks char transfers take no effort is simply delusional. Thats why they charge $25 it takes someone to physically copy this stuff. Also if they let everyone on a "dead" (who knows what your definition is of dead) server transfer for free that will just make servers like fatman worse along with making the "dead" server worse. Charging a fee means people will think before acting.

If you would cancel because of this then you arent the kind of player they want anyways. Good riddance.

The Oceanic players got them for free, for intentionally playing outside of their region pre release. Why would they get no charge, and then charge north American players who are playing in the correct region, after the release and stuck on dead servers? It would be very dangerous for them to charge for the 1st transfers, as they have already given them out and set a precedent.

So, Zero Dollars.

The BW party train is risking falling off the tracks if they get funny with charges for transfers. Its going to heavily damage a lot of guilds.

Edited by -Dench

The Oceanic players got them for free, for intentionally playing outside of their region pre release. Why would they get no charge, and then charge north American players who are playing in the correct region, after the release and stuck on dead servers? It would be very dangerous for them to charge for the 1st transfers, as they have already given them out and set a precedent.

So, Zero Dollars.

The BW party train is risky falling off the tracks if they get funny with charges for transfers. Its going to heavily damage a lot of guilds.

There were no asian pacific servers for them to roll on is why they get transfers. You can simply re-roll on a more populated server and be done with it.

I wouldn't like to pay for that, but if it will be for free and my server would die because of that (it is still very healthy) then I might stop playing the game (because I would not want to change my character names, but those names might not be available on other servers).

There were no asian pacific servers for them to roll on is why they get transfers. You can simply re-roll on a more populated server and be done with it.

The reason why there was no servers is because the game was not release or intended for play in their region. Do I blame them for wanting to play early? No, not at all.

But is that fair to give them free transfers when they knowingly played in regions that were across the worlds largest ocean and at the same time stick players who have been playing in the correct regions since release with a fee?

You cant give one (the AUS/NZ Asia) players a free ride and slam North America / Europeans with a fee.

Well, wait. sure you can, its just going to piss a **** load of people off.

Anyone who thinks char transfers take no effort is simply delusional. Thats why they charge $25 it takes someone to physically copy this stuff.

It's a script that does it automatically once the feature is coded, so no effort is involved for the actual transfer.

Besides, would you pay your cable company extra for adding hardware or reconnecting you to another of their connections so you could remain getting the quality of service you originally payed for?

A subscription based MMO is and should be threated as a service based product where it's in their best interest to maintain a high level of service for the money they charge, not asking the customer to pay extra to get the level of service they should have for the original price.

I personally think they are stupid for deciding that they will not be merging servers. When they finally offer a willy nilly transfer service, some servers will become huge and other servers will become very desolate.. Where does the new player create a character?

On LOTRO, they say in the load up window, "New players are recommended to roll on server X, Y, and Z." That would be something nice to see here. That way servers increase in population. But this whole idea that they will not be merging servers when they offer transfers is ridiculous. They created too many servers to start with.

I imagine it would be more expensive than WoW. The reason being they have a lot more data to keep track on for a character then WoW.

They have all the things that WoW does, (race, gender, customization, items,..) then on top they also have choices in story, ship, companions, legacy etc. So it taking more work I expect it to be more expensive.

It's a script that does it automatically once the feature is coded, so no effort is involved for the actual transfer.

Besides, would you pay your cable company extra for adding hardware or reconnecting you to another of their connections so you could remain getting the quality of service you originally payed for?

A subscription based MMO is and should be treated as a service based product where it's in their best interest to maintain a high level of service for the money they charge, not asking the customer to pay extra to get the level of service they should have for the original price.

Exactly. We already pay a subscription. It is in BW's best interests to keep players as happy as possible at all times in order to keep people subscribing. Charging extra fee's on top of a subscription is a poor business practice that only few titles can get away with. A $25 fee to move a toon is not worth risking a person who subs for 3+ months at a time.

Sure, its a quick buck, but its a damn big risk to take in terms of alienating your already paying and suffering player base.

Personally I think the first legacy should be free. Also, I think they should move ppl from the light servers, to the standards. After that, $20 for a legacy

They will need to do this well, eg: guilds can for example ask to be moved together.

As for naming policies, thats a little trickier. I think they should give a 48 hour notice of name change (to the one coming to the server, not the one currently in it). The naming issue cannot be ignored, it is an unfortunate biproduct of transfers.

x

I've already paid - and continue to pay to play this game....

Why should I pay a single penny more for them to fix the mess they put us in?

ZERO.

Sums it up. I have 4 50's and if I'm going to have to end up paying to transfer each of them I more than likely will end my subscription.

Server Mergers should happen first and if that doesn't solve the issue, then allow ALL Characters on one server to transfer to somewhere more populated.

Could someone be so kind as to link the Dev Post about No Server Merges? Haven't had luck finding it myself, except for the statement that "transfers are possible" which reads to the pessimist in me as "we'll have flying pigs ingame soon"

Because I had 8 characters post the 1.2 patch and before I knew what this much touted Legacy System would allow, I feel that the initial transfers should be FREE (up to a certain date) to those subscribers that had an active subscription before the 1.2 release.

Afterwards, I do not mind a paid transfer system ($15.00) per character.

Other issues are that there are vast declines in population on servers, if they are unwilling to swallow the pill and merge servers, they should allow declined server populations free transfers (even if they dictate what server the transfer it to... basically a server merge with a transfer title). It was beyond the users ability to know what server would have strong populations and what wouldn't.

It would be nice if BioWare was a little more proactive... hell even reactive to some things... alas, this is one of their inactive stances.

I wouldnt pay a penny. Free xfers should be free for a few weeks at least. Let players move around to more populated servers for a while before making them pay. We also dont want players just moving around for as long as they want for better economies, clean rep's, etc.

That said, AFTER the initial free time ... that standard fee of $25 is good IMO.

Edited by MasterKayote