Why are healers so rare?

Bonkbonk

When I make groups, I actually have no trouble finding tanks, but healers is another story.

My theory is that, when you spend points in the tank tree, you actually get abilities that boost your damage, making soloing as a tank much more pleasent.

But healer trees don't have that.

I can understand that healers being able to do damage would unbalance the game somewhat, but I believe that's why there are so few of them around. I tried leveling as corruption, then I switched to lightning. Much much faster + AoE.

I'd hate to sound wowish, but a dual spec system would be awesome. I know I will get flamed a lot for suggestion that, but it's ok, I got my suit on.

P.S: It started out as a question, but ended up with a suggestion, pardon me.

When I make groups, I actually have no trouble finding tanks, but healers is another story.

My theory is that, when you spend points in the tank tree, you actually get abilities that boost your damage, making soloing as a tank much more pleasent.

I can understand that healers being able to do damage would unbalance the game somewhat, but I believe that's why there are so few of them around. I tried leveling as corruption, then I switched to lightning. Much much faster + AoE.

I'd hate to sound wowish, but a dual spec system would be awesome. I know I will get flamed a lot for suggestion that, but it's ok, I got my suit on.

If you are worried about healers then you should make a healer.

I understand you tried, but really should just keep at it.

Edited by Muanthuun

Lots of tanks can be explained with the fact that Jedi and Sith standard class is a tank... so folk wanting to be jedi/sith warriors go as a tank. People who want to be inquisitors at least tend to do so to use evil force powers rarther than heal. I am a sorcerer but speccing as a DPS guy purely because its more fun for me. Lightening!

Its a UI issue. The UI is horrifyingly bad for healers. Healers can actually do pretty decent damage and can solo much of the Heroic 2 content. The problem you're running into is that people don't want to fight a craptacular UI.

And Dual Spec would be great.

I think we have about 5 healers in our guild, who consider their Jedi Consular Sage their main. So I reckon it depends on your server and perhaps even the time you play? No clue to be honest. All I know is that I haven't experienced a deficit so far. Edited by Digma

I'm a healing Commando. I'll heal for my guildies and I won't Pug.

I hate the UI.

I hate not having a dual-spec option.

However, having a companion mitigates the latter a bit.

But I would wager that people are not leveling as heals cause its slower. Story is all well and good... but you gotta make mobs dead to get to the next cutscene.

I healed some heroic +4 area earlier today as a merc BH.

We where 3 in the group, 2 sith assasins and me.... don't be afraid to heal if needed might save you some time standing around looking for a "real" healer.

didn't exactly feel at home doing it, but we got it done ;)

Its a UI issue. The UI is horrifyingly bad for healers. Healers can actually do pretty decent damage and can solo much of the Heroic 2 content. The problem you're running into is that people don't want to fight a craptacular UI.

And Dual Spec would be great.

The UI is a HUGE part of it. I seriously considered waiting to roll a healer until they fixed it. Additionally, the control setup itself is trash. Automatic self casting when you don't have a valid target is unacceptable as well. This game is desperately in need of the ability to hotkey an ability and click on the target, or the ability to hovercast. Without this, a healer can't heal and maintain a hostile target for interrupts and so forth, which is damn near essential for effective group support and hybrid play.

Oh, also the group/op frames need to be fixed so they display health totals in real time rather than what they were 10 minutes ago. And group frames need to display health numbers.

I'm gonna stop now so I don't continue to nit pick. I love this game immensely, I just hate how badly things are implemented for healers.

I currently play a smuggler healer and i enjoy playing it but... I dont really see how its unique in any way like bioware said it was, they said that healing would be different then any other game but its not...imo.

Back on topic i think another reason is because 70% of people today cant heal with out some sort of healbot....

Thinking most folk just play DPS until they're capped, then swaps to their chosen healing spec, that's what i am doing (tho i still heal in heroics if it looks like its needed), it eases up the soloing parts. Edited by Kraun

1) The UI sucks for healing

2) The raid bars health indication isn't accurate (broke since beta)

3) Against organized pvp focusing, heals are useless.

4) Heals in general, just can't keep up with dps unless 1 on 1.

5) Before the medium heal at level 12 or so, and armor buff at 16, its really bad. Most probably don't see it through.

6) No durability, so against organized pvp you spend more time respawning because you get focused. Against pugs, they're fine.

I'm a healer (SI), and I can solo incredibly easily.

I heal just fine, yet I dont play my healer much because of the people I end up in pugs with. If you take off in a random direction and start pulling stuff and your not the tank dont expect heals. If you start griping at me that you died because you didnt get heals you can expect me to apologize to the tank and leave group, period.