SWG PvP vs SWTOR PvP

Yoverion

PvP in SWG was ok in the CU, ok pre-cu but the entire buffing system needed to be changed and ranged classes made viable(only bother bringing melee stackers or jedi).

Also the game lacked a 3rd axis which was annoying.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWG didn't have instanced PvP until near the end of the NGE. In general instanced PvP should be a filler for WPvP when server population is low. Instanced mini-games become boring.......fast.

^^ This

This game kills SWG in instanced pvp, but I used to love hanging out in Restuss either taking or defending the city. I also loved that the Jinzu razor only dropped inside the city, forcing players who normally would never PvP to come out to play :)

Yeah Many fond memories of running around Restuss and slogging it out with the rebs........pity the razor was pretty much reduntant when they made it tradeable.....STILL I prefer SWG PvP to this game. For one, numbers.....I can remember MANY city battles in SWG where you would have 30+ players all flagged it made for some knock-down fights. I miss my Mando/BM and my Boar wolf (Spider Pig), man the rebs hated his 30 second root, the QQ was amazing :0.

As Much as SWTOR is the best MMO around at the moment, in my opinion it has nothing on any of the eras of SWG. The game was a masterpiece, No other MMO has ever been like it. The community, how everyone on the server basicly knew each other, the pvp, how many different ways you could setup your character for fighting different proffesions. The game took a lot of time and skill to master and to learn what setups were good against other proffs etc. SWTOR should really take a lesson from this and try to diverse how you setup your toons instead of having "All troopers use aim" "Agents stack cunning" really takes the skill of learning how to stack your character out of the game. To me SWTOR seems to be copying WOW quite a lot, even how they have setup the warzone que screen now is completley the same as WOWs

- Yoverion Kun

There is simply no competition. SWG pre cu slaps this mess in the face several times.

Pre cu, there were no pvp 'shame holes' to be whisked away to, there was plenty of open world pvp (who remembers the HUGE battles outside Anchorhead and Bestine?

No game has ever recaptured that brilliance but for some unknown reason, developers always think that pvp should be conducted in a shame hole away from the main game. Is it any wonder players who like pvp get bored so quickly

Not fair to compare the best pvp game ever made (with maybe daoc) to the pill of crap that is swtor pvp...

although Im talking precu of course, that nge garbage was not even on par with swtor pvp.

Imo its more fair to compare the CU to swtor although even the CU wins this hands down.

No one will ever EVER say that garbage NGE **** is better than what this is.

Pre CU was great and the CU was not that bad IMO but still pre cu was the best.

You my friend is why SWG a real good game die cuz you still have a ich on your *** for a damn pre cu bs

PvP in SWG was ok in the CU, ok pre-cu but the entire buffing system needed to be changed and ranged classes made viable(only bother bringing melee stackers or jedi).

Also the game lacked a 3rd axis which was annoying.

Lol no, the buff system was part of what made ranged viable in the first place.

The true death of ranged was the bunch of post pub 9 jedi and their force run. The game was so much better during the perma death system and without a 90% jedi population

Sandbox +/=/- Theme Park... does not compute.

Different game, different era. Companies had not been polluted by Blizzard/WoW. Noone wants Sandbox MMOs anymore, they just think they do.

So you say. Thats why most new MMOs based on the dull WoW format(like this), struggles to keep its player base.

There is simply no competition. SWG pre cu slaps this mess in the face several times.

Pre cu, there were no pvp 'shame holes' to be whisked away to, there was plenty of open world pvp (who remembers the HUGE battles outside Anchorhead and Bestine?

No game has ever recaptured that brilliance but for some unknown reason, developers always think that pvp should be conducted in a shame hole away from the main game. Is it any wonder players who like pvp get bored so quickly

Anchorhead > Bestine

I didn't think much of Pre-CU pvp. Wait an hour for buffs, then find a dancer and musician. Get your armor on, then find someone to kill. Hit them with knockdown/dizzy combo and hit them with one move till they get up and do the same to you. I have news for you that is not great pvp, it was so bad. CU I thought was the best out of all of it, I didn't like NGE at all even thought I gave it a try for a while. What I did like about SWG pvp was the sandbox feel of pvp.

Legendary T21 + Master Rifleman + Sweep Shot (or was it called Cone shot) = Spammed screen with "you have defeated" messages :p

Or my pre-pub 9 Jedi with MLS/MDEF/4004 Enh was very nearly invincible.

SWG was the best PVP game I have ever played, simple as that.

I didn't think much of Pre-CU pvp. Hit them with knockdown/dizzy combo and hit them with one move till they get up and do the same to you. I have news for you that is not great pvp, it was so bad.

It took like 10-15mn to fully buff yourself, it gave a decent death penalty in case you died.

However the way you describe it sounds like the perfect noob journey if anything and its really easy to exaggerate a gameplay like you did for any other game.

It may not have been your taste but in no way shape or form it was "bad pvp".

What? A MBH was able to use a pistol that had a speed of 3.9 or 5.2 and fire it every 1.0 seconds, they had some pretty crazy abilities like fireKD (which got nerfed in a way) but eye shot was very good and so was the LLC if it was modded with krayt tissues. I've run several different BH builds; BH/carb, BH/pistol, BH/TKA, BH/ranger 0040 (pre-9 when tracking droids were broken), etc. and BH/pistols was so effective.

MBH vs anythign above a low end jedi pre-cu was a waste, without the heavy weapons accuracy form commando the LLC failed, without pistol accuracy and dodge from Pistoleer and fencer, yoru pistol failed, and without carbine accurracy and counter attack from carbineer pikeman you failed.

We never had a "firekd" we had torso shot that was a fire, and carbines had a kd. That required a weapon flip and stacking two different defenses.

With a properly outfitted Master Pistoleer, Fencer 0444 bh 3040 spec you could get to 95 percent dodge, this meant that you could stand toe to toe with anything but a 4444 guardian and make them either flee or run out of force.

If you are basing the success of an MBH build on group success you are doing it wrong, that doesnt' mean MBH was effective it means that your group was effective. Targetign a single pool against a jedi was silly you had to hit all three to make them spend more force to heal.

Legendary T21 + Master Rifleman + Sweep Shot (or was it called Cone shot) = Spammed screen with "you have defeated" messages :p

Or my pre-pub 9 Jedi with MLS/MDEF/4004 Enh was very nearly invincible.

SWG was the best PVP game I have ever played, simple as that.

You weren;t Mls/MDEF/4004 pre-pub 9.

THose trees were added in pub 9. And you are missing componenets of that build NO one bypassed, 4004 healer ,pre-cu if you had no dot clear and no heals = you died as you could not heal yourself. Also MDEF was severely underpowered in pub 9 it did not become the go to defense tree until the cu when Avoid Incapacition became the top skill.

The OP spec for pub9 was MLS/MENH/healer 4004 if you were rebel. MLS/MP/Heal 4004 if you had any frs as a dark jedi.

My spec actually countered these two specs with MLS Healer 4004 Defender 4400 enhancer 3402

Edited by JaxinRiens

You weren;t Mls/MDEF/4004 pre-pub 9.

THose trees were added in pub 9. And you are missing componenets of that build NO one bypassed, 4004 healer ,pre-cu if you had no dot clear and no heals = you died as you could not heal yourself. Also MDEF was severely underpowered in pub 9 it did not become the go to defense tree until the cu when Avoid Incapacition became the top skill.

The OP spec for pub9 was MLS/MENH/healer 4004 if you were rebel. MLS/MP/Heal 4004 if you had any frs as a dark jedi.

My spec actually countered these two specs with MLS Healer 4004 Defender 4400 enhancer 3402

My BH/pistols w/ kryat'd and speed sliced scatter = joo dead :p

I played SWG to the end and SWTOR from the start, and I can say SWG was more fun in both world pvp (by far) and also in instances.

We had a lot more mobility wicth allowed the outnumbered/weakeer group, at every fight, to have a chance to use hit and run, ambushes, LOS tanking and a several other tactics to split the larger/stronger group. It used to be common a group with half the size to win some fights. That's what I miss most.

Here it's impossible because of the excess of stuns, interrupts and snares. The weaker group is rolled over by the stronger without hope. That's why so many people quit a WZ when they realize they're on the weaker team.

I realize this has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but...

Best experience in SWG was walking in the jungles of the Imp prison planet (I'm repub, 2 buddies with me are imps). Going around we run across a dark jedi (you know the guys, totally independent of either faction). After aggro'ing him, we get tossed about like ragdolls, getting the crap kicked out of us. We get the bright idea to drag him to the prison and have the imps kill him. Well, after making our way of getting tossed off our speeders into trees and force lightning baked, we make it.

Battalions of trropers and walkers surround this cat after about 15 minutes. We're all collectively trying to kill this dude, but being such a pimp, he's deflecting everything. I've never seen anything like it in a game!

After about an hour, the guy finally dies and the imps turn to me and end me in about a milisecond. Seriously the most fun I've had. And while there's more details to the story which made it so epic, I've yet to encounter anything similar in SWTOR which has captured my breath quite the same.

Rose tinted claims if you'd like, there's just so little to TOR that makes you go..... wow, that was so epic, I have to tell people about it! 8 years later, I still remember that story. You know what I'll remember from this game? Awesome visuals of the worlds themselves, with no one in them. Great animations and graphics, with terrible pvp development. Epic quests with voice over, and all done solo.... in an MMO. Beautiful planets with such potential for Wpvp, that's walled off by unpassable mountains and never an opposite faction player in sight.

SWG had so much more going for it than the terribly broken mechanics in pvp. Tor has what in equivalence?

Loved CU and pre-CU SWG PvP. The open world PvP combat was amazing. Taking down PvE and PvP/Special Forces bases, the random flare ups that would occur and long, long 1v1 combat.

I recall one skirmish around the edges of Bestine. There was a rebel Jedi that was taking on an entire team of Imperials after his team was downed. Was he OP? YES! And it felt bad *** even though he was the one kicking ***. When it was my turn to have my Master Defender force user, it seriously felt qualitatively different in terms of my ability to tank.

And player bounties, oh, boy, player bounties. The best THREE days of my gaming life -- I mean my whole life -- were when I was ruthlessly stalked by a BH. I had to flee the first encounter which came in the middle of the Rori desert. A special forces base in the middle of nowhere saved me. He wanted to kite me; I wanted close combat. We played cat and mouse games using every trick in the book while I ramped up my PvP skills on top of a guild hall and did PvE with my guildies. Finally the showdown: Right outside Kashykk starport, in the shadow of the great trees, we fought using every advantage possible. I was victorious but we earned each other's respect and became friends. Permadeath/exp loss, even though I had already hit master, made player bounties mean something and even on the "receiving" end it was a thrill.

And on the other side of the bounty: My MBH used social engineering, patient stalking and bounty hunter tracking droids to track down and kill my enemies. It was a thrill. Waiting in buildings so I would not show up on radar, pretending to be shopping or chatting while I deployed my explosive mouse droids. And of course the combat, locked in by a TEF or *mutually* backed up by faction. It was so much fun.

I know they never promised us a sandbox game. And yes those world were lonely at times. But the feel of travel, location, ownership in your home and player city, defending it and attacking others was great. I hope there will be a game like that one day again. I lover SWTOR for what it is and I hope it gets better.