The reason for a lack of a real combat log?

Cataphractone

Is that so hard to understand that people have different play styles?

I swear people argue just for the sake of arguing.

Why don't you want the information in game in addition to the logs out of game? I want a combat log that doesn't require me to hunt over the internet looking for a parser that does what I want to it. I just want a combat log like every other MMO in existence has. I don't even care if it shows other players. I just want to see, in game, what killed me.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that so hard to understand that people have different play styles?

It has nothing to do with playstyles. And even if it did, everyone who is telling me "oh what we have is fine." in this thread is telling me MY playstyle is wrong.

the info given to us is great. the parser I use is fine. I'm happy, enjoy.

The information is fine for you. That is great. I am happy you have found a parser that fits your needs. I haven't. My parser would be a combat log like every other MMO out.

WoW has one, Rift has one, Tera has one, Guild Wars 2 has one.

All the information we get in game is what killed us, and what we killed.

All the good stuff is out of the game in a text file that is barely readable without a 3rd party program to put it into something useful.

What was the reasoning for not putting a real combat log in game? You know, something that I can scroll through to see what hit me and what not?

Not everyone that wants to use the combat log just wants to see how much DPS they are doing. I have yet to find a parser that does what I want, which is just a simple print out of the raw file in a more readable form.

The file is readable to those that know xml. time to upgrade your skills.

The casuals are scared they won't be able to use abilities based on how cool they look, and might have to learn to play.

I personally don't want my time wasted by a dps who's doing a half-assed job.

The out of game parser doesn't let me me assess that.

Exactly. This is a direct side effect of trying to dumb down the games for casuals. Either do your job or don't participate with people who want to reach goal X (whatever that is).

But I think this casual mindset is going to stick around because EA/BioWare is just looking at increasing their subscriber numbers.

All this arguing over a combat log and DPS meters that shows everyone. I don't care about all of that. I just what we already have, displayed in game, and is in a readable form. Here is what the current text file looks like:

[02:03:05.490] [sand People Sunseer {397890065268736}] [@Cata'phract] [Rifle Shot {811877667962880}] [ApplyEffect {836045448945477}: Damage {836045448945501}] (80 energy {836045448940874}) <80>

[02:03:05.491] [sand People Sunseer {397890065268736}] [@Cata'phract] [Rifle Shot {811877667962880}] [ApplyEffect {836045448945477}: Damage {836045448945501}] (76 energy {836045448940874}) <76>

Now, I can understand what that says, but I want something cleaner. Even if Bioware doesn't add an in-game version, I just want a parser that converts that into something like this:

[02:03:05.490] [sand People Sunseer @ Cata'phract [Rifle Shot] 80 Energy Damage

[02:03:05.491] [sand People Sunseer @ Cata'phract [Rifle Shot] 76 Energy Damage

Why not put your thread in the suggestion box (where Bioware will read it and maybe consider it sometime in the future), rather then make yet another log/anti-log gankfest thread in general forum? Or was that your intention? Or did you just want to whine?

Why not put your thread in the suggestion box (where Bioware will read it and maybe consider it sometime in the future), rather then make yet another log/anti-log gankfest thread in general forum? Or was that your intention? Or did you just want to whine?

I was hoping that maybe their was a parser that did this and someone would link it. No one reads the suggestion forums, and Bioware already knows people want a real combat log.

I was hoping that maybe their was a parser that did this and someone would link it. No one reads the suggestion forums, and Bioware already knows people want a real combat log.

There are numerous parsers that will do the work for you in a separate windows on your desktop. ACT being the best IMO. http://advancedcombattracker.com/ They have a SWTOR plugin. Maybe try it out and see what it will do for you.

There are numerous parsers that will do the work for you in a separate windows on your desktop. ACT being the best IMO. http://advancedcombattracker.com/ They have a SWTOR plugin. Maybe try it out and see what it will do for you.

I've been ACT. It is closest to what I want, but it is ridiculous that you have to use a 3rd party program to get any useful information out of the combat log system.

And you are obviously someone whose never tried to play, participate in competitive activities, be it sports or other pursuits.

Here's the disconnect. Not everyone wants to play the game this way, or be subject to the attitude of people who do want to play the game this way. Personally I parse every raid I'm part of using Mox Raid Meters. I give the key out and let people join if they want. Typically about half of the raid joins in. But I respect the right of people who choose not to play this way. Some people use hammers to build things. Other people use hammers to harm other people. Same thing with damage meters. Some people use them to collect data and improve their performance. Other people use them to justify their childish behavior. You fall into the latter category. As the person you were responding to stated very succinctly, people who are incapable of treating other players with respect are the reason combat meters/logs are available in the format they are.

I thought this game was about story.. it has more voice content than any game I have ever played.

If their focus is on story, I think they will focus on new story based content. This just does not seem to be the best game for min/max type player.

Of course this is exactly why they are getting my money. If they stop focusing on story, I will move on.

I guess they have to make a value judgement... are there more people here for the story or more min/max players? Is it really possible to make them both happy?

Jorgie

I thought this game was about story.. it has more voice content than any game I have ever played.

If their focus is on story, I think they will focus on new story based content. This just does not seem to be the best game for min/max type player.

Of course this is exactly why they are getting my money. If they stop focusing on story, I will move on.

I guess they have to make a value judgement... are there more people here for the story or more min/max players? Is it really possible to make them both happy?

Jorgie

Story ends at 50. Have fun quitting once you've been there a week!

I swear people argue just for the sake of arguing.

Why don't you want the information in game in addition to the logs out of game? I want a combat log that doesn't require me to hunt over the internet looking for a parser that does what I want to it. I just want a combat log like every other MMO in existence has. I don't even care if it shows other players. I just want to see, in game, what killed me.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a parser that does this. Your best bet is to make one or to find someone who can. My guess is that eventually we'll have this type of functionality. This was just Bioware's first iteration of the combat log. They wanted to get the info out to us asap and the UI team was busy with the rest of the UI overhaul. My money is on that we'll see a true (self only) version of the combat log in the future.

Edit: By self only, I mean the same, what we do, what's done to us, info in a combat log format in game.

Edited by Niil

I am happy you have found a parser that fits your needs. I haven't. My parser would be a combat log like every other MMO out.

I've been ACT. It is closest to what I want, but it is ridiculous that you have to use a 3rd party program to get any useful information out of the combat log system.

Just quoted 2, but you really should make up your mind.

The casuals are scared they won't be able to use abilities based on how cool they look, and might have to learn to play.

I personally don't want my time wasted by a dps who's doing a half-assed job.

The out of game parser doesn't let me me assess that.

Yeah...reading your reply, I'm pleased it's what it is. People like you would reject players based on what your combat log tells you they MIGHT do, not how well the player actually is.

Until you replied, I was in support of a more robust system...but not now. Attitudes like yours are a cancer to MMOs.

You had to use a 3d pary add on in every other game, Addon = 3rd Party

I'm going to assume you moaning because it doesn't have the log of WoW, problem is WoW is a very basic UI. It's chat is very basic, it's log is very basic.

The combat log system relies on 3rd Party modifications to get what you are comparing it against and want

Edited by CKNairb

WoW did not require a 3rd party addon to view the combat log.

This isn't about damage meters.

alodfhjakl;sjdl;aksjdf

Actually what you are wanti IS about damage Meters. You want the ability to view who did damage to what so you can yell at them to pass blame to somebody for group Falure

And yes WoW has a verry basic combat log. You need mods to get anything useable

Actually what you are wanti IS about damage Meters. You want the ability to view who did damage to what so you can yell at them to pass blame to somebody for group Falure

And yes WoW has a verry basic combat log. You need mods to get anything useable

asdl;fjkal;skdjad

No, that is not what I want.

I don't care if the basic combat log is only my damage and what I get hit with. I just want to see it in-game.

If you ever PvP'd, you would see a 5000 appear on your screen. The first thought that goes through your head is, "What just hit me for 5000?" With even the most basic of in-game combat logs, I can see what hit me for 5000. I did not need recount to tell me that. Recount was WORTHLESS in pvp.

Do not tell me what I want is about damage meters, belittling other players, or stroking my e-peen. It is about none of the above. It is about knowing more about the game and what other classes can do.

alkdjalksjdlaksjcd

This game doesnt have a combat log, If anything its a death log, That doesnt even show the over kill.

Why even have it in game if it doesnt do anything to help out the player, Even as a tank it doesnt show if i mitigated any damage.

And the out of game Parse, so pointless. In MMO's People will always be judged regardless of the game you play, weather it be gear or if you get tunnel vision in a boss fight.. i love the game but it lacks in alot of things top MMO's have or will be coming out with to continue to make a game better. What Bioware did was talk big about there in game Combat log, which is a far cry from a real combat log... Again most people that play mmo's dont want to record data, find a program to open that up and view the damage when its so much easier to be like of yea we did it for you or Mods are now available, People are jerks, everyone has there moments weather it be your for or against it.. IF you dont like it dont use it, but at the same time if there is a better way to have it in game without all the crap you have to go through to find out data, then make it better, Elitist are everywhere its your choice how you handle them..

BIOWARE make your game better get rid of parsers, its a waste of time and do something about your in game combat log, change its name to a death log... Allow 3rd party add-ons and your game will grow without a doubt, this is knowledge from being in 2 guilds one republic and one empire with well over 100 people in guild talking about how they are needed.. People that dont want 3rd party add ons dont use them, dont be competitive, there are guilds out there for you to be in like that, top gamers that PVE use add-ons, top pvpers use add-on, people are gonna cry either way/ people are gonna be jerks either way...

No, that is not what I want.

I don't care if the basic combat log is only my damage and what I get hit with. I just want to see it in-game.

If you ever PvP'd, you would see a 5000 appear on your screen. The first thought that goes through your head is, "What just hit me for 5000?" With even the most basic of in-game combat logs, I can see what hit me for 5000. I did not need recount to tell me that. Recount was WORTHLESS in pvp.

Do not tell me what I want is about damage meters, belittling other players, or stroking my e-peen. It is about none of the above. It is about knowing more about the game and what other classes can do.

If you are taking the time to look to see what did 5000 damage to you during PvP chances are you died, and have plenty of time to look in a combat parser program that is parsing your combat log file in real time. Combat tends to move too fast for keeping track of the little details during an actual fight, and only going over the numbers after the fight is actually going to be beneficial. While you want to see this in-game, it's really of little benefit to have this in game when a viable system can be implemented that lets players go over the little details after the fight.

On a side-note, while I understand you might be frustrated, typing gibberish in your posts isn't doing much for your posts.

As someone who is on the "NO" side of the DPS meters argument, I can fully understand why the OP would want an actual log. I don't mind either way since you still have to go out of your way to get it going for all to see real time, especially in a PUG. On the other hand, it's clear from several posters in this thread why Bioware's stance on the combat log/in game meters reminds me of old Hank Hill.

"This is why we can't have nice things."

Edited by BucMan