The reason for a lack of a real combat log?

Cataphractone

If you are taking the time to look to see what did 5000 damage to you during PvP chances are you died, and have plenty of time to look in a combat parser program that is parsing your combat log file in real time. Combat tends to move too fast for keeping track of the little details during an actual fight, and only going over the numbers after the fight is actually going to be beneficial. While you want to see this in-game, it's really of little benefit to have this in game when a viable system can be implemented that lets players go over the little details after the fight.

On a side-note, while I understand you might be frustrated, typing gibberish in your posts isn't doing much for your posts.

It is because I am frustrated that people keep telling me I want a basic combat log so I can laugh at someone that doesn't do good DPS.

Sure, I can alt+tab to use a parser, search for the fight, look at damage taken, then look at what hit me. Oh damn, I missed the res window and now I have to wait again.

Or I could switch tabs on my chat window and scroll up.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is because I am frustrated that people keep telling me I want a basic combat log so I can laugh at someone that doesn't do good DPS.

Sure, I can alt+tab to use a parser, search for the fight, look at damage taken, then look at what hit me. Oh damn, I missed the res window and now I have to wait again.

Or I could switch tabs on my chat window and scroll up.

Or run in windowed mode or run an overlay program or something else entirely. There are options out there, but the downloaded combat log that updates in real-time was the best compromise so that the biggest chunck of their playerbase could get something useful out of it.

Its because they are afraid of me. I've gone off on a lot of fools who don't know how to play there class holding our guild's progression back because we can't get past boss x's enrage timer.

So there you go. Whenever someone asks why swtor doesn't have a dps meter, just say, its because of Bodah. He's an a-hole.

Seriously though, I like... no love dps meters. But I come from a background of hardcore raiding guilds in EQ1 then WoW, then to a casual-hardcore progression guild in rift. Min-Maxing is what I'm about in mmo's.

Having said that. Swtor does not need a dps meter because swtor is not a min-max type of mmo. Its a casual game for a casual crowd.

All the information we get in game is what killed us, and what we killed.

All the good stuff is out of the game in a text file that is barely readable without a 3rd party program to put it into something useful.

What was the reasoning for not putting a real combat log in game? You know, something that I can scroll through to see what hit me and what not?

Not everyone that wants to use the combat log just wants to see how much DPS they are doing. I have yet to find a parser that does what I want, which is just a simple print out of the raw file in a more readable form.

One of the reasons is that most MMO's consists of too many of these

The casuals are scared they won't be able to use abilities based on how cool they look, and might have to learn to play.

I personally don't want my time wasted by a dps who's doing a half-assed job.

The out of game parser doesn't let me me assess that.

And not enough of these

It's pretty easy to tell who it is that isn't doing enough DPS in a flashpoint if you aren't doing a PUG. As far as I am concerned, when it comes to end game content, I only do it with my two friends and one random if we don't have a friend or guild mate who can join. My friends are a healer and tank, and I am the DPS. I know for sure my rotation maximizes my DPS, so if we can't beat the enrage timer, we know who it is.

However, we don't just kick the person as most would or tell him to do better, we actually work with him/her to find out what the problem is and figure it out together. And this was before combat logs. In game combat logs are just another way for people to put the entire blame on one or two people instead of trying to help them out. Don't do enough DPS? No problem, we will kick you and get someone else.

If you really want to find out how people in your group are doing, have them upload their logs to a site and you can review them together.

OP, as for your concern, I unfortunately do not know of one which you can use to get the raw data. The only thing I can suggest is to hope someone posts one on this thread that can give you what you want.

Edited by WereMops

Or run in windowed mode or run an overlay program or something else entirely. There are options out there, but the downloaded combat log that updates in real-time was the best compromise so that the biggest chunck of their playerbase could get something useful out of it.

Or the game could have a feature that is in every other MMO on the market.

I don't care that there are no meters, or about seeing what other people are doing, but as a tank I hate not having a combat log to see why I blew up in 2 seconds, it makes trying to figure it out an annoying guessing game.

It doesn't matter to people what we want.

They see combat log and assume you want to make fun of people for doing bad DPS.

I wouldn't bother with this conversation if I were you. Your viewpoint is the only one that has any sense to it at all. Anyone who disagrees with you is arguing for the sake of arguing, and thinks that anything that makes this game less like World of Warcraft (the most polished and successful online game ever) is good.

Why anyone wouldn't want to imitate, and then try to improve upon, great design is beyond me. The only reasoning I can think of is "hating on World of Warcraft, and World of Warcraft-like game features is the cool thing to do right now". Bandwagoning on the internet is what you are seeing here.

Now that I've said that, adding in game DAMAGE METERS could potentially harm the game. Damage meters is not what the OP is asking for, so stop acting like it is.

The OP wants to know what event took place 4 seconds ago that caused him/her to die. This has nothing to do with damage meters, or e-peen waving, or ego. It has everything to do with being able to understand the game they are playing, and know what to watch for in the future. If you think this ruins the game, get out, and bring your stupid to another community.

Edited by Ellvaan
Insulting other members

I wouldn't bother with this conversation if I were you. Your viewpoint is the only one that has any sense to it at all. Anyone who disagrees with you is arguing for the sake of arguing, and think that anything that makes this game less like World of Warcraft (the most polished and successful online game ever) is good.

Why anyone wouldn't want to imitate, and then try to improve upon, great design is beyond me. The only reasoning I can think of is "hating on World of Warcraft, and World of Warcraft-like game features is the cool thing to do right now". Bandwagoning on the internet is what you are seeing here.

Now that I've said that, adding in game DAMAGE METERS could potentially harm the game. Damage meters is not what the OP is asking for, so stop acting like it is.

The OP wants to know what event took place 4 seconds ago that caused him/her to die. This has nothing to do with damage meters, or e-peen waving, or ego. It has everything to do with being able to understand they game they are playing, and know what to watch for in the future. If you think this ruins the game, get out, and bring your stupid to another community.

BOOOMMM!!!! All this and a bag of chips.. +10... On a different topic im for damage meters or 3rd party mods, most guys cry about them is when they lose to a girl in dps. OH i went there!!!! you know who you are!!! =P

Edited by Ellvaan
Quoted removed content

I wouldn't bother with this conversation if I were you. Your viewpoint is the only one that has any sense to it at all. Anyone who disagrees with you is arguing for the sake of arguing, and thinks that anything that makes this game less like World of Warcraft (the most polished and successful online game ever) is good.

The OP wants to know what event took place 4 seconds ago that caused him/her to die. This has nothing to do with damage meters, or e-peen waving, or ego. It has everything to do with being able to understand the game they are playing, and know what to watch for in the future. If you think this ruins the game, get out, and bring your stupid to another community.

It is nice to see someone that actually understands what I am asking for.

Edited by Ellvaan
Quoted removed content

While minimizing the downside that comes from having that information available. Bioware has done a tremendous job on this aspect. As I said earlier I wouldn't mind something like that just for the single person, IE a combat log like you have had in other games. Just keep it hidden from other people like it is now. With the way the log is instituted right now, there should be no harm in letting the player see the raw data on their screen.

And yes, some people on here are just astounding. Want a highly trained SWAT team style run thru a FP?? Do it with folks you are familiar with(guild/friends). Don't go running to PUGs and then start whining cause they aren't as obsessed with their E-PEEN as much as you are.

I was hoping for a real combat log in game. Im so tired of 1 silver blowing me up in a 3 second span while two others of the same name/lvl go down with ease. It has nothing to do with dps but everything to do with how random npc damage is in this game. Edited by XadennX

How about this:

Can we get a combat log similar to what we had in Everquest back in 1999??

Yes at the Guild Summit, George said that they don't want it to be used to judge people.

But, we're gonna need it in-game sooner or later. Right now there are enrage timers for hardmode FP bosses and even for the world bosses. If a boss is not going down, we need to know which dps is not pulling their weight. And once we do, we can then tell that dps to do more dps.

It is a bit selfish to hide the ineptness of one dps that causes the wipe for the other 3 members who are pulling their weight.

We had a boss enraging on us in the HM Lost Island last night.

No one pointed the finger. We just kept getting better at it until the boss died. No one got blamed, no one pointed any fingers. The group just worked at it until we beat it.

That's the way it should be. If you want DPS meters and automatic logging tools so you can blame an individual person, please go back to WoW.

PVP.

"Oh crap, what was that that crit me for 5000 but didn't get the killing blow?! Oh, I guess I have to go find a parser to see, and remember who did it to me, and remember when it happened."

This doesn't actually answer my question. I know you want the above information. Why do you need it?

They launched the game without a combat log, you complained. They gave you an amazing combat log, you still complain. Stop whining, they gave you exactly what you wanted, and more!

It's not exactly amazing.

EQ1 had a better one in 1999. :confused:

This doesn't actually answer my question. I know you want the above information. Why do you need it?

To see what you need to CC/avoid in the future?

I believe it's refered to as "learning"..... I could be wrong though! :D

I was hoping for a real combat log in game. Im so tired of 1 silver blowing me up in a 3 second span while two others of the same name/lvl go down with ease. It has nothing to do with dps but everything to do with how random npc damage is in this game.

Yeah that's often where I want to scroll back and look at exactly what happened (as you can in every other MMORPG).

The thing is the reason for not having one can't be raiding or flash point DPS, because you can see that (and exclude someone if that's your thing) using what we've got now.

But it's a real PITA to just see what hit you 5 seconds ago. :confused:

Maybe they don't want to like every other MMO developer out there. Having played EQ2 etc and seeing elitism rears it's ugly head I'm glad the game didn't follow that route.

I have played Rift and seen people vote kicked for parsing 100DPS below what they beleive the people should be parsing. No questions asked or advise given it was vote kick. Do you really want those type of people in SW:TOR ?

Maybe they don't want to like every other MMO developer out there. Having played EQ2 etc and seeing elitism rears it's ugly head I'm glad the game didn't follow that route.

I have played Rift and seen people vote kicked for parsing 100DPS below what they beleive the people should be parsing. No questions asked or advise given it was vote kick. Do you really want those type of people in SW:TOR ?

Yes, they do.

People on the internet are jerks, more at 11. There are already people like that in this game.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.