Differences in plot power vs. in battle power.

Agemnon

Does anyone get this impression at all? For example, on Taris playing a Jedi consular my character blasted open a thick steel door and all throughout the storyline he does this amazing stuff whereas in battle (ordinary?) sandpeople gave him trouble back when he was on Tatooine, same with imperial soldiers and droids. My smuggler on the other hand can burst down those silver Sith lords with ease and survive many hits with the lightsaber whenever it gets in range of my scoundrel.

Also, Bowdaar is extremely guilty of this because he is hailed as such a great warrior that he even beat a Jedi in a fight and is a legendary fighter, yet his performance in battle falls very short of this hype.

This is true in any video game ever made with cutscenes. Gameplay power depends on player skill, game balance, ability animations and cooldowns, how difficult something is to code, and what's actually fun. (And it wouldn't be very fun if your Scoundrel got his head cut off whenever a Sith leapt at him, now would it?) Cutscenes are limited by the graphics engine and the game designer's imagination. Disparities are quite common-- there's nothing to do but accept that and move on.

I had this same issue back with SWG. It was my first MMO, and I quit playing after a couple of months because I just couldn't get over the fact that my jedi could be killed by a lizard wandering around the desert.

I've got over it, and I enjoy this game a great deal, but in my heart it does feel a bit wrong. It doesn’t take away from the game enjoyment, but does make me say "whaaa?" every now and then.

Every time Scourge dies (just about every fight because he's trash) I get livid. He's the Emperor's Wrath. He's immortal.

On top of that, why am I sending the Emperor's Wrath to collect lockboxes for me? I can't stand the Jedi Knight companions.

This is still better than how it was in Oblivion where everything leveled with you...

It was always very strange that you had to save the world because you were the chosen one, yet city guards and highway robbers could easily beat you (and thus, should easily be able to save the world too).

Its a known problem with games.

If you want to know how the game would feel if it played out the way you think it ought to considering the cutscenes, go play skyrim with godmode on and then come back after a week and tell me how much fun that was...

A game needs to be challenging, but it also needs to (in most cases anyway) set up the player as the hero that has the fate of the world on his shoulders...

I had this same issue back with SWG. It was my first MMO, and I quit playing after a couple of months because I just couldn't get over the fact that my jedi could be killed by a lizard wandering around the desert.

I've got over it, and I enjoy this game a great deal, but in my heart it does feel a bit wrong. It doesn’t take away from the game enjoyment, but does make me say "whaaa?" every now and then.

But he didn't "really" die to a lizard, as player deaths in these games aren't canon ^_^

Which is... another inconsistency -_-

Every time Scourge dies (just about every fight because he's trash) I get livid. He's the Emperor's Wrath. He's immortal.

On top of that, why am I sending the Emperor's Wrath to collect lockboxes for me? I can't stand the Jedi Knight companions.

Funny you should mention Scourge because he's the reason I made a Jedi knight :D

As for level scaling it actually made Final Fantasy VIII easier and was a dumb mechanic. Great game with a great story, but grinding Seifer to 100, having him draw high level magics and giving them to the players, in addition to strategically saving before card games to avoid certain rules and to reload if we lose a card were tedious at times. The complete invincibility items made from a certain card made Omega Weapon trivial.

Edited by Agemnon

Yeah, and when you come upon dying people in cutscenes, you can't heal them, you just have to sit there and let them gasp out their important plot points and die.

On tomorrow's edition of "Why the frak is anyone even making a thread about this?", we'll discuss why there's a few hundred "Great Hunt Champions" running around.

I have always thought about this issue and recognized it is a matter of game mechanics.

Still, I get pretty excited if I can live up to my Jedi Knight "lore power" when I get lucky with crits. Just last night, I was doing a quest. Jumped into a group of enemy NPCs and took them all done without taking any damage due to the Force Sweep stun and a series of very lucky back to back crits. I thought to myself: "Man, now I feel like a Jedi Knight!"

On tomorrow's edition of "Why the frak is anyone even making a thread about this?", we'll discuss why there's a few hundred "Great Hunt Champions" running around.

Technically, they are all variations of the same main character meaning there's only one current Champion of the Great Hunt in the story, it's just being played by thousands of different players at the same time. Think of it as 1000 different troupes doing the exact same play on the same stage all at the same time. :p

This is true in any video game ever made with cutscenes. Gameplay power depends on player skill, game balance, ability animations and cooldowns, how difficult something is to code, and what's actually fun. (And it wouldn't be very fun if your Scoundrel got his head cut off whenever a Sith leapt at him, now would it?) Cutscenes are limited by the graphics engine and the game designer's imagination. Disparities are quite common-- there's nothing to do but accept that and move on.

I'm none too happy with the wwiffle-bat nature of the light saber.

Yes I suppose it can't be as powerful as the movies -- shouldn't its damage rating be "infinite"? :) -- but in these mmos, it falls way short of even the single-player game lightsaber.

This is the result of shoehorning them into the tank melee slot.

I've complained they should at least have q massive single-target melee akin to City of Heroes' scrapper class, which exists in such a framework without breaking things.

Edited by Gorgor