Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Glzmo

I wish there was an option for chat bubble toggle on/off at the very least. I mean couldn't chat bubbles be reintroduced with a toggle on/off option as well as default setting off??

Also, how bad was the lag the chat bubbles created? I don't remember tbh

I wish there was an option for chat bubble toggle on/off at the very least. I mean couldn't chat bubbles be reintroduced with a toggle on/off option as well as default setting off??

Also, how bad was the lag the chat bubbles created? I don't remember tbh

There was an on/off toggle during beta and Bioware already said they'd introduce them only with a toggle and that's what we're asking for here.

There wasn't really any "lag" in beta, the performance problems was that they ate up alot of video memory and caused low framerates if you didn't have a video card with large amounts of video memory (1GB or more).

I myself had video cards with 3GB of video memory on my main PC back in beta and never saw a noticeable performance drop with chat bubbles enabled even when lots of people were talking in /say around me.

I also tested on a laptop with only 512MB of video memory, where the performance naturally went down the toilet.

I think that with 2GBs of video memory or more being standard these days even an "unfixed" version of chat bubbles from beta would run reasonably well on most halfway modern machines. If they applied the same fix thex applied to nameplates before launch, that would allow them to run even better.

I'd love to see them put in at leas the chat bubbles feature they used in beta come Galactic Strongholds Expansion time, perhaps with the application of the fix they had for nameplates, and then improve on it later. It'd be much better than having to remain completely without chat bubbles much longer.

Besides, it's a toggle option anyway, so you could toggle it on/off like shadows or Anti-Aliasing for performance reasons if needed.

Edited by Glzmo

I think that with 2GBs of video memory or more being standard these days even an "unfixed" version of chat bubbles from beta would run reasonably well on most halfway modern machines. If they applied the same fix thex applied to nameplates before launch, that would allow them to run even better.

Is there really much difference between Nameplates/Damage-Flytext and Chat Bubbles?? There's only 1 obvious difference, that Chat Bubbles have a border and a background color. Surely they could use a combination of the techniques of Nameplates and Damage-Flytext!

Is there really much difference between Nameplates/Damage-Flytext and Chat Bubbles?? There's only 1 obvious difference, that Chat Bubbles have a border and a background color. Surely they could use a combination of the techniques of Nameplates and Damage-Flytext!

But nameplates are also known to cause lag too (workaround to low FPS is to turn off nameplates). So that leaves flytext, which is most commonly a number and at most a name and a number (in the case of someone else healing you). /sarcasm on: If chat bubbles could be limited to a handful of characters and would disappear quickly...it could work.

• 3 weeks later...
As long as we can turn it off both for ourselves and when viewing others, I'd be fine with it, but not if we can't.
Of course. A toggle option is a must and Bioware already stated it will be there when chat bubbles are added in any case. Edited by Glzmo

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like for chat bubbles to be painted in a different color if it's chat from a group member, friend, or guild member. Also those chat bubbles should sit on top of all other chat bubbles to make them much less likely to be covered by other bubbles.

When in group with many people, Friends and Guild members in the group would have their chat bubbles on top of other people who are group members but not in the same guild nor on your friends list.

Another thing I'd like to see is an adjustment slider for the additional number of seconds chat bubbles remain for Friends and Guildies.

By the grace of the Jawas, while posting in a new thread SPEECH BUBBLES, I thought of this new possibility:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _____________

Chat Bubbles could have their own little mini-button attached to the perimeter of the target portrait of other players, to start a private Chat-Bubble session with that person. Just like where the little "+" button exists to invite the person to your group, private Chat Bubble sessions could become a completely spontaneous activity that reveals the option whenever you target another player. Private chat bubble sessions would need to have a noticeable graphical uniqueness, such as a much thicker border around the chat bubble, different text, or text with a different background color.

• 2 weeks later...
So I heard the "roleplay expansion" arrived, thus I resubscribed to the game, thinking they've finally addressed roleplayers' top concerns (I was told by other players they would, but it turned out it was wishful thinking on their part). So I log in and boy was I wrong. Still no chairs to sit on properly by clicking on them not even in these cash-grabs of strongholds where it would have been easy to add them (and no, the /chair emote isn't a good solution there are countless issues with that and it rarely lets you sit properly on a chair, couch or other seating), and the biggest disappointment is that there are still no chat bubbles! After over 2 and a half years of promises. Shame on me for thinking Bioware would finally get it right for roleplayers. I've cancelled my subscription again in disgust and won't be coming back until I have definite proof that chat bubbles are in. Edited by Cave

I've been looking at a decorated cantina room in a Stronghold, and...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . it needs Chat Bubbles!

You could congregate a group of people, but if there's no chat bubbles and you're left to stare at the chat log the entire time just to have conversations... what a waste of potential. Chat Bubbles are natural, and logical, you just get everyone in the room into view the best you can, and watch for words to pop out the top of their heads!

By the grace of the Jawas, while posting in a new thread SPEECH BUBBLES, I thought of this new possibility:

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _____________

Chat Bubbles could have their own little mini-button attached to the perimeter of the target portrait of other players, to start a private Chat-Bubble session with that person. Just like where the little "+" button exists to invite the person to your group, private Chat Bubble sessions could become a completely spontaneous activity that reveals the option whenever you target another player. Private chat bubble sessions would need to have a noticeable graphical uniqueness, such as a much thicker border around the chat bubble, different text, or text with a different background color.

Considering that's a video card memory issue (at least from what we saw in beta) your suggestion makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...
Chat bubbles are useless. Don't need em, don't want em.

Or is it your post that's useless, I mean... I wonder why I even waste time answering as I already wasted some jumping back in the thread because of your bump.

Or was it a troll post?

Chat bubbles are useless. Don't need em, don't want em.

And yet I think the game can't do without them. I can imagine the difference in the game environment if there were Chat Bubbles... and it would be amazingly great.

So between just you and me, that's 50% of players right there, that want Chat Bubbles in SWToR. If there was an in-game vote I know a TON of people would vote for Chat Bubbles as the #1 social theme upgrade.

And yet I think the game can't do without them. I can imagine the difference in the game environment if there were Chat Bubbles... and it would be amazingly great.

So between just you and me, that's 50% of players right there, that want Chat Bubbles in SWToR. If there was an in-game vote I know a TON of people would vote for Chat Bubbles as the #1 social theme upgrade.

Disagreement from your quoted post aside, your post is nothing but optimistic assumptions and pointless and false statements of the support of this feature...

I am with the quoted poster. They're useless. They create clutter. They are a graphics performance detraction. If SWG was any indicator, they are obnoxious and create a worse environment.

Disagreement from your quoted post aside, your post is nothing but optimistic assumptions and pointless and false statements of the support of this feature...

I am with the quoted poster. They're useless. They create clutter. They are a graphics performance detraction. If SWG was any indicator, they are obnoxious and create a worse environment.

To say nothing of the fact that most people playing SWTOR right now are first time MMO'ers, and probably have no idea what a chat bubble even are. This isn't 2011. All the hardcores are long gone. Today's casual player couldn't care less about chat bubbles. They want character customizations. They want decorations. They want CONTENT. They dont wany chat bubbles. Those are for the RP crowd. RP'ers get laughed at.

Edited by Jimvinny

I don't remember whether SWG allowed Chat Bubbles to be switched off, but it's been stated repeatedly that in SWToR the Chat Bubbles will require an on/off button. So problem solved and with them switched off the chat from /say /yell /emote will just go to the chat console like it always has. By design, it's literally no change unless you have them switched on... so your criticism of them is moot and if you continue to boldly stand opposed to them you just look like a selfish egomaniacal gate-keeper that wants to throttle other people's enjoyment of the game.

In fact Chat Bubbles are possibly the most important social feature in any MMO. Some of the others for the social environment is a realistic environment such as sittable chairs and other objects to interact with and a huge variety of animated emotes that are directed towards other players... which there's almost none of in SWToR. Chat Bubbles are needed in the extreme . . . people have just become accustomed to not having them which is sad because their absence detracts in a major way from the social side of the game.

All you have to do is imagine what it would be like if Chat Bubbles WERE in the game... people would run up to other players just to carry on a conversation... which is by far a more natural virtual environment than what exists now in SWToR. How sad for the player base that we don't have Chat Bubbles. . . :(

All you have to do is imagine what it would be like if Chat Bubbles WERE in the game... people would run up to other players just to carry on a conversation... which is by far a more natural virtual environment than what exists now in SWToR. How sad for the player base that we don't have Chat Bubbles. . . :(

Imagination has nothing to do with it. Its a feature that would only please a very small portion of players. Therefore, unnecessary. How happy for the playerbase that we don't have to deal with chat bubbles.

I don't remember whether SWG allowed Chat Bubbles to be switched off, but it's been stated repeatedly that in SWToR the Chat Bubbles will require an on/off button. So problem solved and with them switched off the chat from /say /yell /emote will just go to the chat console like it always has. By design, it's literally no change unless you have them switched on... so your criticism of them is moot and if you continue to boldly stand opposed to them you just look like a selfish egomaniacal gate-keeper that wants to throttle other people's enjoyment of the game.

I think you are a "selfish egomaniacal gate-keeper that wants to throttle other people's enjoyment of the game" by taking resources from "character customizations ... decorations ... CONTENT."

Edit: I also think you are seriously overestimating the demand for it.

Edited by azudelphi

To say nothing of the fact that most people playing SWTOR right now are first time MMO'ers, and probably have no idea what a chat bubble even are. This isn't 2011. All the hardcores are long gone. Today's casual player couldn't care less about chat bubbles. They want character customizations. They want decorations. They want CONTENT. They dont wany chat bubbles. Those are for the RP crowd. RP'ers get laughed at.

Your pestilent attitude is ridiculous . . . and you apparently know nothing of the player base if you make such wide-sweeping generalizations. Pretending that Chat Bubbles are only for RP'ers just makes you look :confused: unaware.

Seatbelts are SO 1984 . . .

I think you are a "selfish egomaniacal gate-keeper that wants to throttle other people's enjoyment of the game" by taking resources from "character customizations ... decorations ... CONTENT."

Edit: I also think you are seriously overestimating the demand for it.

Sorry but you don't get to declare a cessation of all social environment upgrades. The game has to have a balanced quality or it'll only make a very SMALL portion of the player base happy, which is the group that you represent.

Declaring that development resources are wasted on such a thing is what people say when they have no basis of argument for the actual topic on hand.