The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Glzmo

Still waiting for a hint that Chat Bubbles are on the way. I'm hoping that they are put in in one of these summer updates. I wasn't too impressed with the bullets they put out in the "Summer of SWTOR" thread personally, but the addition of Chat Bubbles would ease that pain quite considerably lol.
Likewise. Come on, Bioware, it can't be so hard to give us an update on this so often and long promised feature, can it?

Sounds like wishful-thinking to me, but that doesn't stop me from hoping. PLEASE Bioware, I am tired of my ability to communicate with other players and roleplay with them being confined to this one little chat box that takes up a fraction of the screen. I want my attention to be drawn to the characters talking to me, not just their name in a wall of text. I want to feel like I'm interacting with them in the world that YOU built. Instead my attention is divided between that world and the wall of text I mentioned earlier. *sigh*

I think it is highly possible. They may have decided that the entire game/engine or what have you needed to be worked on, and these "Graphical Updates" will mainly be under the hood fixes that allow for things like Chat Bubbles. I'm hopeful.

I'm also hoping it fixes some of the lag people complain about haha.

I think it is highly possible. They may have decided that the entire game/engine or what have you needed to be worked on, and these "Graphical Updates" will mainly be under the hood fixes that allow for things like Chat Bubbles. I'm hopeful.

I'm also hoping it fixes some of the lag people complain about haha.

I wish they had the guts and decency to at least tell us whether this was the case or not. Judging from their recent posts, the developers clearly have plans for many game updates beyond. How hard can it be to tell us that chat bubbles are on target to be in game update 2.x or that there are no current plans for them? All they do is post about is PVP this, PVP that and PVE, but they never post anything about social RP features (unless they can milk people for it with cartel coins - they said the move to free to play wouldn't affect features for subscribers, yet I'm sure appearance designer would have cost credits instead of cartel coins if the game wasn't free to play, same with various apparel and items that are now found in the cartel market, Cathar would have been part of the expansion, etc.). I don't know about you, but this Wookiee is enraged and fed up and won't take this any longer. It feels to me like it's always the roleplayers, socializers and loyal subscribers that get the shaft by Bioware. Edited by Stubacca

I too wish they give us something on the status of Chat Bubble. I know they aren’t important to everyone, but as other point out the RP/Social side of the game has gotten anything beside cartel, even something vague like maybe in the fall or not till next year. Of course they couldn’t even extend quest logs or give us bio because it will impact loading time or something I don’t have much hope they will be added. The engine really is awful or the programing bad, either way it seem to make even the most simple thing hard.

HeroEngine supports Chat Bubbles at least since 2007, so it is more concerning that it would create very taxing load on the game, causing lag spikes, if everyone was to start spamming bubbles

Hence why chat bubbles are not in the game. But they need to be fixed as it is an essential component to any mmorpg.

this is the wrong question.

you are asking "may we have chat bubbles please".

the question for the very title of this thread should be "give us a GOOD reason why there are no chat bubbles".

the response would be predictable in that case.

"There are no chat bubbles because [insert complete humbug explanation here]"

and then the thread would be locked down and disappear as it scrolls down the list of forgotten threads.

there would be no chance to to question or refute the totally bogus explanation that would be given.

so the bogus comment about it being too much of a load on the programmers or hardware it totally false since the information needed to display chat bubbles is already being sent out to everyone's client already.

and the idea that it would break the immersion for some people is eliminated by making it an "opt in" type option where it is off by default, and easily turned on in the options setting for each avatar.

so with those two main explanations dealt with, is there ANY, and i mean any good, worthwhile, non-bogus, believable explanation for why there are no chat bubbles?

HeroEngine supports Chat Bubbles at least since 2007, so it is more concerning that it would create very taxing load on the game, causing lag spikes, if everyone was to start spamming bubbles

if a chat bubble were created on the server, what you say would be correct.

however, chat bubbles are made in each persons client with information that is already being sent by the server as it is now.

all the information needed to create chat bubbles is already being sent out by the server to each and every client.

the server is already sending all it needs to send to each client for chat bubbles to be made.

no new information would need to be sent out from the server for chat bubbles to exist in the game.

no additional load would be put on the server.

i suppose i could have gone into detail, but i hope you get the idea.

We know chat bubbles cause lag; so Bioware can you please fix chat bubbles and implement them into our game? The result would have an immediate visual impact on how our game looks and that's a good thing!

This is actually a wonderful idea, and wish it could be implemented immediately! I have a foster son who refuses to read chat, (tunnel vision) so when talking to him, it is more like yell, scream, jump up and down for him to actually figure out I'm trying to communicate something to him. Please especially party chat btw, or a check box option for /say, /yell, party, etc. To put this into proper perspective, I have to actually TEXT him at times. So please please give us the option of chat bubbles. If not for immersion, but for my sanity!

We know chat bubbles cause lag; so Bioware can you please fix chat bubbles and implement them into our game? The result would have an immediate visual impact on how our game looks and that's a good thing!

Yes. Fix the issues and implement them please!

I don't mind if they add chat bubbles on one condition. Have a way to switch them off for the players that don't need the bubbles. Seriously, Chat Bubbles for RP, That should break peoples immersion in the game. Making everywhere look like your daily comic strip in the newspapers. Yes, I'm an RP'er Star Trek Online has been out since 2010 with a large amount of rp'ers . No chat bubbles there or even needed. Easiest way to fix the issue is just set aside an RP channel or give the players the access to make their own custom channel , Just like Guild, General, OPs , etc. Edited by Suntaru
Additions

I don't mind if they add chat bubbles on one condition. Have a way to switch them off for the players that don't need the bubbles. Seriously, Chat Bubbles for RP, That should break peoples immersion in the game. Making everywhere look like your daily comic strip in the newspapers. Yes, I'm an RP'er Star Trek Online has been out since 2010 with a large amount of rp'ers . No chat bubbles there or even needed. Easiest way to fix the issue is just set aside an RP channel or give the players the access to make their own custom channel , Just like Guild, General, OPs , etc.

STO is a bit different; I mean that chat bubbles would look a bit ridiculous in that game when your flying your spaceship around! But no chat bubbles is not just an RP thing, it is a way of communicating that is easier to follow than the chat box.

I don't mind if they add chat bubbles on one condition. Have a way to switch them off for the players that don't need the bubbles. Seriously, Chat Bubbles for RP, That should break peoples immersion in the game. Making everywhere look like your daily comic strip in the newspapers. Yes, I'm an RP'er Star Trek Online has been out since 2010 with a large amount of rp'ers . No chat bubbles there or even needed. Easiest way to fix the issue is just set aside an RP channel or give the players the access to make their own custom channel , Just like Guild, General, OPs , etc.

You're describing Chat Bubbles opposite from how they are. Chat Bubbles don't break immersion, they create immersion. Suddenly you don't have to sift through random other people's chat text to find your conversation thread; instead, the chat bubbles show up right above the person you're talking to. It's a far more natural way to converse than in a messy spam-riddled chat window.

If Chat Bubbles are added to SWToR, people are going to be grouping to find each other easily on fleet, just so they can carry on a Chat-Bubble conversation. It's extremely preferable to anything else in the game.

You're describing Chat Bubbles opposite from how they are. Chat Bubbles don't break immersion, they create immersion. Suddenly you don't have to sift through random other people's chat text to find your conversation thread; instead, the chat bubbles show up right above the person you're talking to. It's a far more natural way to converse than in a messy spam-riddled chat window.

If Chat Bubbles are added to SWToR, people are going to be grouping to find each other easily on fleet, just so they can carry on a Chat-Bubble conversation. It's extremely preferable to anything else in the game.

It would be so NICE to see people in small groups chatting, just like in SWG! Lol.

I'm hoping that Bubbles come out sometime this summer. I'm dying for some news on them!!

This discussion can be simply addressed by having BioWare provide us with an update or provide us a answer!!!

BioWare answer the question please...

Will we or will we NOT going to get this feature ???

Whats the status?

Over 1,323 replies and counting....

"Lost a planet Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing … how embarrassing." --- Yoda

"Lost the ability to answer BioWare has, How embarrassing...how embarrassing." --- Players that are asking this question

Edited by Krull-