+41 power or expertise crystals from rakghoul event

Korevas

I posted this in another thread on a slightly related topic, but did not get an answer for this question, so I figured I should do a proper thread for it. I am currently undecided whether I should get the power or expertise crystals for my marauder if I want to pvp with him.

So, with the changes to expertise in 1.2 in mind, will 2 expertise crystals always benefit me more then power ones regardless of other gear for pvp performance, or will it hit a softcap somewhere so power actually gets better?

Think of it this way, Power just affects your overall damage.

Expertise affects your damage in PvP, Damage reduction and healing.

So I would say atleast in pvp Expertise is better.

BTW I got the Black/Green Crystal but not from the event I got mine with my razor mouse lol.

I've read up on the topic, and credible sources (http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/Thread-Annihilation-Watchmen-Compendium) stated that accuracy up to the softcap was had the highest stat weight in pve up until 1.1.3 at least.

I was quite surprised to see this, so the new question should be: do I need any accuracy in pvp at all(specifically if expertise is available in the same slot)? If so, I'd probably go and get accuracy crystals only, so I could only swap the other gear in the future.

This would save me quite a bit of grinding, so I'd really appreciate any insights on the matter =)

Edited by Korevas

I've read up on the topic, and credible sources (http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/Thread-Annihilation-Watchmen-Compendium) stated that accuracy up to the softcap was had the highest stat weight in pve up until 1.1.3 at least.

I was quite surprised to see this, so the new question should be: do I need any accuracy in pvp at all(specifically if expertise is available in the same slot)? If so, I'd probably go and get accuracy crystals only, so I could only swap the other gear in the future.

This would save me quite a bit of grinding, so I'd really appreciate any insights on the matter =)

That's not really that surprising. Having your special attacks not miss/be dodged/be parried will always be superior to having slightly more damage but with the chance to miss.

And there is no such thing as an accuracy color crystal. You can choose from Endurance, Power, Crit or Expertise. Take power for pve, expertise for pvp.

I was told power only if you going anni is that right? Carnage is crit?

I'd say +- 25% crit, 70% surge, 100% accuracy are start for any build.

After that you either go with power or with endurance or with both. I personally picked +41 endurance crystal while having power at other parts.

Victors correct....power is more of a rage tree stat bc most of your big hit moves are force. I could be wrong though, I've never tried anything outside of anni sadly. Got to get around to trying the other two, since the trees are way more balanced now.

In pvp I went the with Expertise Crystals. Even if it isn't better than Power or Crit more expertise in gear means you can slot pve items that have better stats.

Of course we dont know what the soft caps are but Expertise is the first thing you want to cap, so go with that.

That's not really that surprising. Having your special attacks not miss/be dodged/be parried will always be superior to having slightly more damage but with the chance to miss.

And there is no such thing as an accuracy color crystal. You can choose from Endurance, Power, Crit or Expertise. Take power for pve, expertise for pvp.

This. Eventually you will/should have 2 sets of gear so having 2 of each crystal (power and expertise). If you PvP often, you should be able to get the expertise ones fairly easily (sold at vendor), so geting the power ones from the event are a no brainer. Any excess crystals should be going to your companions.

I'd say +- 25% crit, 70% surge, 100% accuracy are start for any build.

After that you either go with power or with endurance or with both. I personally picked +41 endurance crystal while having power at other parts.

For PvE carnage, power is better then crit at all levels. Surge is better then accuracy once you have specials over the defense cap (roughly 10%).

For PvP expertise, with it's revised diminishing returns, is now better then anything else up to levels that aren't achievable with the gear that is available.

For PvE carnage, power is better then crit at all levels. Surge is better then accuracy once you have specials over the defense cap (roughly 10%).

For PvP expertise, with it's revised diminishing returns, is now better then anything else up to levels that aren't achievable with the gear that is available.

I always smile when read comments like this. So I would get as max surge as I can because my Force Scream auto-crit at carnage? And that's skill I use once per 10 GCD? What about assault/battery, vicious/masacre, gore, ravage? You don't need crit on them?

+- 25% crit, 70% surge, 100% accuracy - mandatory for any tree/build, then you pick power or endurance or strength.

Or you would take 78% surge and 15% crit (not sure about math but after +- numbers above you won't get so much if you boost those stats more) for carnage?

Edited by VictorLototskyy

I always smile when read comments like this. So I would get as max surge as I can because my Force Scream auto-crit at carnage? And that's skill I use once per 10 GCD? What about assault/battery, vicious/masacre, gore, ravage? You don't need crit on them?

+- 25% crit, 70% surge, 100% accuracy - mandatory for any tree/build, then you pick power or endurance or strength.

Or you would take 78% surge and 15% crit (not sure about math but after +- numbers above you won't get so much if you boost those stats more) for carnage?

Except you are never choosing between crit and surge because crit is a secondary stat and surge is a tertiary one.

Crit vs Power

Surge vs Accuracy

Going from the math on Sithwarrior, for carnage, power was better then crit at pretty much any gear level past tionese. True, that may have changed if they changed the DR on crit but the only testing I saw from the PTS implied that they had only changed the DR curve for expertise.

Edited by Rouncer