This game badly needs mods and macros.

Zingas

I would just like the ability to customize the layout. Some class and spec themes would a nice addition.

Macros are for the weak and often just makes games a one or two button pressing affair. How boring. All the cool kids will be macroed out in macro bling yo.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO they shouldnt allow macros or add-ons in game at all. Not even to change your UI around. Cuz if you let one add-on or macro in you have to let all of them in. PPl downed the last boss in beta with no add-ons so whats the problem? It can be done. Hell in wow i got a server 1st lich king kill 25 man with no add-ons and healed the fight.

Ppl are crying about i dont have a dps meter, no dbm. Good learn to play the game like everyone else is. What you going to do if they dont allow add-ons in game? Go back to playing wow? Lots of ppl want something different then the average mmos are offering like a challenge how you going to have a challenge when dbm tells you whats going to happen b4 it happens that takes away paying attention and awareness.

I think alot of ppl will stop playing the game if they put add-ons in the game. I know iam one of 15 that will. Keep the game a level playing field for everyone from pvp rp and endgamers.

In terms of addons, I usually don't use many but the one addon for this game that I would particularly enjoy is one for the AH to simplify things. That thing is a mess. Unfortunately though, I checked on Curse's webpage to see if they had anything in development for SWTOR and they said that Bioware has not granted permission for addons, nor do they plan to but if they change their minds, Curse will develop some. Just a heads up on what I found..

And for the macros you can open up options and keybind what you want where you want.

Macros make it a few buttons to push kinda of game. Its plan lazy and will start to unbalance the game pvp will be a 3 button affair so will tanking screw that give us a challenge. Devs should stuick to their guns and not allow macros /add-ons in game. Ban ppl how hack it start off with 3 days and if they still want to cheat then perm ban them simple solution to a easy problem.

Macros, can be very useful, however, they need to be limited to a certain number of commands. Having two or three buttons that you use and that''s it, makes combat stale. I really enjoyed playing Rift, but quit due to macros sucking the fun out of the game. Mostly it''s the macros that check certain variables and use different abilities based on the results that break a game for me. Those decisions are part of the combat mechanics and reaction time is part of being a good player.

I don't agree with that. Besides, if you liked Rift, but did not like the macros, why didn't you just stop using macros instead of quitting Rift? I played Rift since beta, most of the time without macros, and with macros at the end. There a quite a lot of skills in Rift, so it is a good thing they put up those kind of macros.

I would just like the ability to customize the layout. Some class and spec themes would a nice addition.

Macros are for the weak and often just makes games a one or two button pressing affair. How boring. All the cool kids will be macroed out in macro bling yo.

Macros are for the weak... right... It's like saying I walk at my job that is 50kms from home because cars are for the weak... Macros is just part of the MMO evolution, so adapt and overcome.

Besides, they will give us the opportunity to use macros. If you decide not to use them, good for you. And, everyone who is crying about not having macros, just don't use them, that's it. What's the problem?

I know iam one of 15 that will. Keep the game a level playing field for everyone from pvp rp and endgamers.

I guess they can live on with 15 peoples less... But, why don't you 15 peoples just don't use those macros instead? They don't make macros mandatory, as far as I am concerned.

I'll add my 2 cents...

I think the UI should have the option to customize it. Size, location, opacity, these sorts of things.

I don't think we need macros, obnoxious cool down timers and all the add-ons that the WoW children became so attached to. MMOs didn't allow add-ons in the past and many didn't even allow macros, why should all MMOs adhere to the way that one game simplified (stupefied) the genre?

Customizable UI. Absolutely no macros.

No damage/threat meters in a modern MMO would be like Blizzard not adding replay functionality to Starcraft 2. It's a learning tool, so you can see where you went wrong and access possible ways to fix it. Complaining that it 'Ruins the game' is completely non-nonsensical as you are in complete control of it's use. If you don't like add-ons then form a guild of like minded people who think the same.

The crux of the problem though is that some people just having no understanding of DPS/Threat meters and some will use them as a way to flaunt how much better they are at the game than others. Here's the thing though, back when I played WoW my guildies and I would take the piss out of each other for beating each other on the dps meters ect and because we were mature and knowledgeable enough we laughed about it and strove to better ourselves in future raids.

People who lack the hand/eye co-ordination to play MMO's at a fast paced and optimum level fear being attacked for that. The simple fact is that there is thousands of people like that and so why is it not okay for them just join a guild together. They can't stand even playing a game with the very existence of something that does NOT affect them. Want to group, ask your guild. Want to raid, ask your guild. You can do these thing and none of it involves add-ons, some 14 year old punk starts acting like a tool, then simply kick him.

Gearscore and other add-ons like it were examples of add-ons that went too far, but people view them in the same like as damage meters and threat meters,which is wrong.

The UI problems are 100% quality of life issues and quite frankly should be supported by everyone. I'm sorry but there is not a single legit concern or argument that can be made against availability of UI mods that would have an impact on a non-mod user, it's complete ignorance.

Also the argument that things like DBM making raiding easier, is laughable at best. Mods like DBM are why WoW had some of the most challenging content in any MMO in the history of the genre. It allowed developers to push raiders harder and harder and harder.

I remember when everyone was praising the new UI at E3 this year and saying that it was 10x better and it does everything it should... without being in the beta

i chuckled then and im reading these comments laughing because some of the people saying the UI sucks(it really does) said the UI was almost perfect back then

ah too funny

Also the argument that things like DBM making raiding easier, is laughable at best. Mods like DBM are why WoW had some of the most challenging content in any MMO in the history of the genre. It allowed developers to push raiders harder and harder and harder.

This is what I'm talking about. People who like hard-core endgame raiding but don't want to use addons get slapped in the face. They cannot compete, because the content is balanced against said addons.

Edit: I agree that the UI isn't good (it's bad), and it does need improvements, but it's a level playing field this way.

Edited by Truga

The UI is absolute garbage. I can even deal with the aesthetics of it, it's not even about that, it's about the lack of quality of life additions that should be a no brainer.

Here are my biggest issues off the top of my head.

No mouseover actions for raidframes, party frames etc.. when it comes to healing. Absolutely insulting this didn't make it to launch.

Buff/Debuff icons above the character bar are ridiculously small. This is most important to proc info, some classes are heavily proc reliant, and forcing them to watch a tiny part of thier screen waiting for a buff to go off is idiotic. There should be proc notifiers similar to what Aion and Wow ended up doing. There is a huge problem when you have to watch your bar instead of the onscreen action.

Customizable target frame is nonexistent. Putting my target frame on the bottom of the screen further exacerbates my above problem of having to stare at a tiny area to see what the hell I'm targeting, let us put this frame where we want to.

Flytext is complete garbage. Does not even allow the viewing of procs, debuffs, etc..Very poorly implemented.

No chat bubbles. This is basic common sense stuff that apparantly is over Biowares heads. Did your EA overlords not want us communicating in a way we enjoy?

Edited by Kaedann

All I have to say is that I would like to be able to move the current in game bars (due to playing over three screens) so that I can put things where it will make game play smoother.

Yeah some healing/tanking mods would be nice but I also don't want it to turn out like the thousands that WoW has.

That bar the small server issue is my only problem with the game. :D

Edited by AnotherTrooper

This is what I'm talking about. People who like hard-core endgame raiding but don't want to use addons get slapped in the face. They cannot compete, because the content is balanced against said addons.

And so we go into the discussion of Difficulty levels. Multiple difficulty levels would solve this issue. No not Wow'S NORMAL and HARD, but EASY,MEDIUM,HARD,VERY HARD,HARDCORE, for example.

You cannot expect the bar to be lowered, you have to set goals, that's fun, people do this every single day of there waking lives, setting goals. Start on easy and then work your way up as a team.

And so we go into the discussion of Difficulty levels. Multiple difficulty levels would solve this issue. No not Wow'S NORMAL and HARD, but EASY,MEDIUM,HARD,VERY HARD,HARDCORE, for example.

You cannot expect the bar to be lowered, you have to set goals, that's fun, people do this every single day of there waking lives, setting goals. Start on easy and then work your way up as a team.

And let me guess drops scaled better as level goes up? therefore not fixing the problem anyway

Edited by Bobbeh_Cgly

So, how does a guild that doesn't want to use these add-ons do a world first on hardest difficulty, when someone else is using and abusing the add-ons in every single way imaginable? They can't, if they want world first they are forced to use them. When you are forcing an optional component to someone, guess what? It's no longer optional, like you claim.

Then there's the other problem:

This is what turned me away from WoW. The people who had the programming and parsing skills (I'm a programmer and a sysadmin IRL, I do these things VERY well) were enabled to do literally anything with the add-ons. They are given an advantage in-game for skills that aren't even related to playing games. People should be rewarded for spending time in-game, playing the game, not spending time in excel spreadsheets, log parsers or IDEs for writing add-ons.

I know, there will always be people measuring everything possible (I do this, at every opportunity I get), therefore limiting "everything possible" as much as possible makes the most level playing field for everyone.

I'm rather indifferent to addons and macros. They are something of an arms race to me in that they simply raise the bar for both what I am expected to be able to do in the game and what the developers are to be expected to bring against me in terms of challenge.

If I am able to do things like mouse-over heals or macro my relics and cooldowns to go off at the same time then I am in effect simply increasing my actions per minute, my response time is sharper but overall I've done the exact same things I would have done otherwise, the difference being nothing more than I was able to do them faster and with less button pushes.

In some ways it is a quality of life blessing but again, if the game presents challenges that do not require the necessity for faster response times and increased DPS that can only come from macros then it's not really needed.

I guess you just have to take into account whether or not you want to alienate some of the more casual player base in order to make the game less tedious for others because once you go down that road you've effectively raised the bar for everyone.

Edited by Numerii

I'm rather indifferent to addons and macros. They are something of an arms race to me in that they simply raise the bar for both what I am expected to be able to do in the game and what the developers are to be expected to bring against me in terms of challenge.

If I am able to do things like mouse-over heals or macro my relics and cooldowns to go off at the same time then I am in effect simply increasing my actions per minute, my response time is sharper but overall I've done the exact same things I would have done otherwise, the difference being nothing more than I was able to do them with faster and with less button pushes.

In some ways it is a quality of life blessing but again, if the game presents challenges that do not require the necessity for faster response times and increased DPS that can only come from macros then it's not really needed.

I guess you just have to take into account whether or not you want to alienate some of the more casual player base in order to make the game less tedious for others because once you go down the road you've effectively raised the bar for everyone.

Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted to say. :V

There IS a need for chat bubbles. They draw attention to the speaker. The current solution (all things said are popping up in the General chat window) makes it impossible to notice unless we look at the chat non-stop. And I prefer the scenery.

Hey man I ment no disrespect I saw your post in a bunch of different places about chat bubbles which I don't think are needed but I see what you mean and tired to make a joke taking comments from the famous Allen Iverson "Practice" interview. It was ment as a laugh.

For those that did get it I hope you did laugh.