How to choose your WH gear.

Rizael

NOTE: Concealment operative gear, you can use this idea as a basis for Medicine but swap the enh/mod/arms you want. This is just to be helpful for people considering what to do for WH.

Updated 4/19/2012

Mods of interest:

Power Mod

• 32 Endurance
  • 51 Cunning
  • 50 Expertise
  • 39 Power

Source:

Field Tech’s Leggings (2225 Ranked, 975 Warzone)

Field Medic’s Leggings (2225 Ranked, 975 Warzone)

Field Tech’s Jacket (3465 Ranked, 1425 Warzone)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crit Mod

• 32 Endurance
  • 51 Cunning
  • 50 Expertise
  • 39 Critical Rating

Source:

Enforcer Boots (2000 Ranked, 875 Warzone)

Field Medic’s Cloves (2000 Ranked, 875Warzone)

Field Tech’s Gloves (2000 Ranked, 875 Warzone)

Field Medic’s Boots (2000 Ranked, 875 Warzone)

Field Tech’s Headgear (2425 Ranked, 1075 Warzone)

Field Medic’s Suit (3465 Ranked, 1425 Warzone)

Enhancements of Interest

• 27 Endurance
  • 30 Expertise
  • 41 Power
  • 53 Surge

Source:

Field Tech Boots (2000 Ranked, 875 Warzone)

Enforcer’s Jacket (3200 Ranked, 1425 Warzone)

Field Tech Sniper Rifle (3465 Ranked, 1550 Warzone)

Now onto the dirty details! Firstly I will say that the easiest way to gear out is to gear out correctly the first time by buying the best upgrade first. With that said there are some numbers that need to be crunched to determine what is the best buy and in which order should they be purchased. It is also important to note that stat balancing must be adjusted for each change in gear to maintain a 30% unbuffed crit rate. Another thing worthy of mention is the fact that the armoring changes from Battlemaster to Warhero are pretty much negligible however in some cases we will use them to purchase mods/enhancements when we can in order to save ranked commendations in the long run.

As can be noted from the mods, there are none that overlap having both a useful Mod and Enhancement, however there is are three items that exist that do overlap with items we have overlooked. These three items are the Field Tech’s Sniper Rifle which also has the barrel, the Enforcer’s Jacket, and the Enforcer’s boots. These will be noted for later use in priority.

Another point of note is that the enhancements will be the largest increase overall as they are introducing a new stat, however we only need to get it to the softcap early (approximately 75%) which is about 5 items contributing to the stat, 2 of which will be implants which you already own and another will eventually be the earpiece leaving two enhancement mods to be the largest priority for gear. Since the FT Sniper Rifle will also supply a barrel to increase tech power by 37. This change allows for a 7.4 increase to damage while also providing a surge bonus (and if you need it an expertise color crystal). For the next piece I recommend getting the knife (in my case the field medic knife) which adds +16 Cun, -33 Pow, and +37 T.Pow with the addition of 53 surge, this gives us an increase in damage not quite as prevalent as the sniper rifle but still respectable at 4.58. This act should cover the need of Enhancements in priority.

The next stage of this will focus on which contributes the most to damage exclusively, no longer worrying about surge as we have soft capped the stat. Each mod increases cunning by 3 and power by 3 giving a total net damage contribution of 1.15, whereas the armoring only increases 3 cunning which increases damage by .69, also per belt/bracers we see an increase of 5 cunning and 2 power for a net gain of 1.60, the power trinket also increase power by 25 for 20 seconds with a 2 min CD for a .96 dmg increase overall (this is slightly misleading as it will be used when attacking placing this slightly higher than the mods). This means we should start with bracers and belt for the largest gain early. After this we start buying out mods, assuming you are gearing with cunning augment slots (Why you want Cunning and not Power Augment) you will require 4 of Mod 1’s of which no overlaps so we use the cheapest item possible from the list. Another issue is replacing a Mod of crit in which your next item should be a crit implant.

Next we being with crit mods, to enhance this we select the Enforcer boots as they overlap with both crit mod and armoring. Followed by another Crit Mod, then at this point it’s simply replacing what gives the largest power gain again between enhancements and armoring slots in which the contributions are very similar so personal preference how you wish to proceed at this point starting with the jacket as it gives one of each.

Also take note that there is no mention of the second trinket, as there is no useful one listed there, I can’t see myself splurging to buy one, I may try playing around with a defense trinket *shrug* but until then running around with two power trinkets could be a lil’ bit o’ alright.

TLDR: Order – FT Sniper Rifle (Barrel + Enhancement) – FM Knife – Ear – Bracers + Belt – Power Trinket -- 4x Power Mod + Implants – Enforcer Boots(Crit Mod + Armoring) – 1x Crit Mod – Enforcer’s Jacket(Arm + Enh) --Enforcer Arm/ 4*Enh

Edited by Rizael

In other words, look at the items and pick the ones that have the highest numbers on stats that you want.

Thanks ;)

Yes...

You would be suprised at how many people are saying "Im getting enforcer" just because its supposed to be "our set" but if you look at it anyone who gets it is gimping themselves. there are two useful mods on the entire set, its an abomination

This will drown in a sea of QQ and be on page 100 faster than you can say: nice try.

It is sad for all the new players because they usually never get to see useful posts.

So again: nice try.

(edit) Some additional suggestions since I am in the mood:

Get any 2 pieces of pre 1.2 pve gear for the 15% crit on backstab on the shell and put BM mods in.

Get the pvp 2 piece field tech bonus as well it gives an additional hit on orbital strike, you can block a node from being capped with orbital strike for 12 sec /in words TWELVE sec) without even being there.

Expertise is the king stat now get it, stack it. Anything below 1k is suicide.

Stat prio. now is: expertise>cunning>power>surge

Unmoddified WH gear is a downgrade from moddified BM, also it will be best to run mix of both sets.

Edited by Bazzoong

I am just upset that I can't link snipers my emptied out WH sniper rifle, for some reason it auto-fills the slots when I link it *GASP*

expertise>power>cunning>surge

I agree with this for the most part, but I would throw crit in there to about 30% unbuffed probably equal to cunning as cunning crit cont and crit rating contributions are somewhat tied together, and the more cunning you can get the less crit rating you need. Surge is going to be so into the hardcap its not even funny T.T

Edited by Rizael

Well, the thing is, the items with high cunning also have high endurance (and low power), while the items with high power have low endurance (and more cunning instead). If you want the highest output damage, you will be getting as much power as possible and sacrificing endurance.

The reason why you should take cunning over power IF you can chose is the talent Imperial Conditioning which is pretty mandatory and in my opinion the best passive talent in all 3 trees. The 9% cunning increases there makes you gain more from cunning than from power. Edited by Bazzoong

In PvP, endurance is king, power and cunning are also good stats. Crit and Surge are not bad but you hit the soft cap pretty easily so keep that in mind. I don't mention Expertise because it's so obvious :p Edited by Endusima

The reason why you should take cunning over power IF you can chose is the talent Imperial Conditioning which is pretty mandatory and in my opinion the best passive talent in all 3 trees. The 9% cunning increases there makes you gain more from cunning than from power.

Comparison between power and cunning with the 9% cunning increase.

Sample is using 10 power or cunning choice and the affect on your damage only (as the contribution of 10 cunning to crit is negligible)

Cunning:

(Cunning * 9% Bonus Cunning) * Cunning to +DMG Ratio = + DMG Contribution

(10*1.09)*0.2 = + DMG contribution

2.18 = + DMG contribution

Power:

Power * Power to +DMG Ratio = + DMG Contribution

10*.23 = +DMG Contribution

2.3 = +DMG Contribution

As you can see power still wins out due to the higher damage contribution per stat. Cunning is not that far behind however cunning also adds a minute amount of crit. You may argue that it gives crit too, but the issue with that is the amount of crit it provides. Around 1600 mainstat is about a 10% crit contribution from cunning which is a contribution of .00625% per cunning which is negligible for small changes in cunning. You eventually do get a nice boost from cunning to your crit, but stacking cunning FOR crit is simply stupid.

I do agree that the talent is mandatory (although you supplement it by longer corrosive dart and double ticks) but it does not make Cunning better than Power.

TLDR - +Crit and +Pow contribute more cunning comes after or to "slight" adjust for a target crit rating.

Edited by Rizael

NOTE: Concealment operative gear, you can use this idea as a basis for Medicine but swap the enh/mod/arms you want. This is just to be helpful for people considering what to do for WH.

Basically this is to raise awareness of how you SHOULD choose your WH gear in order to maximize your bonus' from them. For me I noted that I require the Mods from FT+FM Gloves (32 end, 52 cun, 30 exp, 39 cri) and FT Legs ( 32 end 51 cun 30 exp 39 pow), and all surge power mods found on FT Boots+Sniper Rifle+Enforcer Chest(27 end 30 exp 41 pow 53 sur). Firstly you are wonder why the hell I would include sniper rifle, well let me explain you mofos! The Enforcer rifle gives you nothing but the barrel where a the sniper rifle gives you the same barrel and the power surge mod making it a MUCH BETTER BUY.

The issue here is that most of this new gears armoring mods DO NO MATTER, you gain 3 endurance and 3 cunning which is absolute GARBAGE considering the cost. Not to mention the advantage of being able to remove battlemaster expertise armorings and put in on Rakata to retain the rakata set bonus while still allowing the 2 piece bonus for +15% backstab crit. So basically what do I mean when I say armoring mods do not matter, its that they are not significant enough to matter, so get them last and NEVER get more than 3 as you want to use the rakata bonus w/ battlemaster mods.

The largest gain you can possibly get is off of enhancement slots as the sub stat (surge) and an additional +5 expertise vastly outweighs any other location. The mods see a slight gain of (+3 end +3 cun +5 exp +2 pow/cri) and of course the previously mentioned armoring (+3 end +3 cun).

Some people (and I am one of them) enjoy seeing more damage very fast, so gaining weapon/offhand is more important. Prioritizing the sniper rifle (3475 ranked + 1550 warzone coms) as you will gain 2x the bonus for doing it whereas you would have to purchase an additional pair of boots after the gun to make up for it (2k ranked + BM boots + BM Enforcer Rifle + 3475 ranked). Personally for the offhand I would purchase the FM knife as it has the Pow+Sur, but it doesnt really matter as you can compensate with your mods/enhancements for whichever you choose. after that the only question you need to ask yourself when you want to buy enforcer boots + chest (as these have mods you actually want), from then on Enhancements (till around 76% surge then its less of a "need") then mods, then lastly armoring.

TLDR: Weapon(Sniper Rifle 1 enh + 1 barrel) --- Offhand--- Ear --- 2xEnh --- Enf Chest/Boots (2x armoring 2x mod) --- 2x Implants --- 4x mods --- 2x enhancements --- 3x armorings.

Now this is the kind of post that is needed. Thank you!! Too bad the effort of you trying to help out will be lost in the sea of complainers and they won't get the benefit. I am very grateful though. Ok, so, in your 'TLDR', you pretty much only mention the Enf Chest/boots as far as actual pieces to buy besides the accessories. I think I am just having some issues on how you tried to explain your thoughts here. I am in BM gear, haven't really changed up any mods since I mostly PVP, very little PVE unfortunately. Questions:

-- So, when you say "4x mods --- 2x enhancements --- 3x armorings", are you saying to buy any other of the other Enf pieces just to get the mods/enhancements/armorings from them? Are you then just putting those into Rakata gear, what gear are you putting them into?

-- You taking out the mods from the sniper rifle and putting them in another gun?

Edited by lytlbyt

Now this is the kind of post that is needed. Thank you!! Too bad the effort of you trying to help out will be lost in the sea of complainers and they won't get the benefit. I am very grateful though. Ok, so, in your 'TLDR', you pretty much only mention the Enf Chest/boots as far as actual pieces to buy besides the accessories. I think I am just having some issues on how you tried to explain your thoughts here. I am in BM gear, haven't really changed up any mods since I mostly PVP, very little PVE unfortunately. Questions:

-- So, when you say "4x mods --- 2x enhancements --- 3x armorings", are you saying to buy any other of the other Enf pieces just to get the mods/enhancements/armorings from them? Are you then just putting those into Rakata gear, what gear are you putting them into?

-- You taking out the mods from the sniper rifle and putting them in another gun?

I am saying that the required mods and enhancements concealment wants are NOT on enforcer gear except for the enforcer chest (Power Surge enhancement) and boots (39 crit rating mod). All other pieces on the gear are completely useless other than the armoring pieces. However the armoring pieces that are supplied are not an expertise increase when compared to BM and a minor increase (+3) to endurance and cunning so you really do not need to prioritize getting them. I have also edited the TLDR in the original post please read it to see if it makes a little more sense, thanks!

1) So when I do say --4x enhancements I am meaning 4 power surge enhancements from armor pieces not of the enforcer set. Since enhancements will give us the GREATEST benefit of the new mods and you will see the largest increase by obtaining these from base Battlemaster (+5 expertise, +2 power, +3 End, +3 Cun, -51 Accuracy, +53 surge *approx). The armorings come last as battlemaster is for all intents and purposes IDENTICAL to Warhero armoring mods. The armor that you would place these mods into would be your current armor you are wearing, however due to how the battlemaster armorings work at the moment you can place a battlemaster armoring on a rakata item and gain the set bonus while gaining the expertise bonus from it making 2 piece viability just a little bit better (if you have rakata, it does not work with black hole as those items have the set bonus tied to the armoring slot)

2) Yes in going with the idea that we should buy for removeable mods, the WH Enforcer gun only really has a useable barrel where as the sniper rifle has the same barrel and a power/surge enhancement making it a vastly superiour buy.

Just a random aside is going to be the new question, if keeping 2 piece Rakata set (+15% bstab crit, -6 end, -6 cunning, -5 total energy, -2 augment slots) as by using a battlemaster armoring in the non-crafted rakata set item will allow the set bonus to persist. Thoughts?

Edited by Rizael

Awesome guide. Ok atm I have all my old BiS pre 1.2. I'm stuck at 663 expertise(2pc rakata t3 MH) but wanna gear up as fast as possible. So the best way is to gimp it out, buy all ur stuff in that order, and start crafting WH gear with aug slots? How do I get the bonuses on the crafted WH gear? It transfers over with the unrated WH piece ya?

Awesome guide. Ok atm I have all my old BiS pre 1.2. I'm stuck at 663 expertise(2pc rakata t3 MH) but wanna gear up as fast as possible. So the best way is to gimp it out, buy all ur stuff in that order, and start crafting WH gear with aug slots? How do I get the bonuses on the crafted WH gear? It transfers over with the unrated WH piece ya?

For the pieces of rakata atm I would swap in an BM Expertise armoring as these allow you to keep your rakata set bonus. this will give you a bonus of 100 expertise. as for gearing up as fast as possible it IS best to focus on those enhancements as for BiS 1.2 gear will all have power surge but no expertise, and with the WH mods you will gain 30 expertise per enhancement. The weapons will provide the largest gain in damage of all pieces thats why I said to get them first. The earpiece as well will remove accuracy from your gear while adding a positive change to your stats, and so on and so forth. On a personal note I would NEVER craft WH gear for the operative as it looks disgusting, its like an orange and black shirt, there is no detail and nothing that makes you look like a "special operations" type person, Rakata + BM are 100x nicer looking. The armoring mods on WH gear are the ones that hold the set bonus for Black Hole Gear and War Hero, but all others are affixed to the armor itself. It is unclear what would happen if you attach a Warhero item to a rakata *drop* item, which set would take precedence? would you get both? would be interesting to know.

I say it one last time, feel free to ignore it: Cunning>Power.

The factor per point power on bonus damage is 0.228, the factor per point cunning (included Imperial education 3/3) is 0.219 bonus damage and 0.007% crit rating.

Now why is cunning better than power you may ask, the answer is the 5% gain on cunning you will get from your team mates class buff.

So lets say you have 5 augment slots 18 cunning vs 18 power each.

5*18=90

so +90 power

or 90cunning*1.09(imperial education)=98.1

98.1*1.05(mark of power)= 103.0

so +103 cunning

(edit) to make it absolutely clear here is the result for the bonus damage: 5 power augments means 20,52 bonus damage, 5 cunning augments means 20,56 bonus damage + the crit increase.

So cunning wins out because of a minimal increase in bonus damage and approx. 0.66% crit in our scenario.

It is a minor advantage but we ARE min maxing here.

Edited by Bazzoong

trapper and tracker i believe but no "mender" like the earpieces have 3 tracker trapper and Mender for each but not implants

Well torhead appears to list both, but they might not actually implimented in game. Either way, you want to use the Trapper Implant over the Mender Implant even if it is in the game.

So lets say you have 5 augment slots 18 cunning vs 18 power each.

5*18=90

so +90 power

or 90cunning*1.09(imperial education)=98.1

98.1*1.05(mark of power)= 103.0

so +103 cunning

(edit) to make it absolutely clear here is the result for the bonus damage: 5 power augments means 20,52 bonus damage, 5 cunning augments means 20,56 bonus damage + the crit increase.

Hmm I didn't think of factoring in mark of power, but since the legacy changes I am able to self buff this now so I suppose its worth taking into account. Also a question to you, are you sure the imp education and mark of power are multiplicative or are they additive?

meaning:

Multiplicative:

90*1.09*1.05 = 103.01

103.01*.2 = 20.6

Additive:

90*(1+.09+.05)=102.6

102.6*.2= 20.52

Either way it gives a greater advantage to cunning due to the crit, I'll probably edit the main post later today to be more coherent and add in sources of mods and such.

Edit::

Just did a little math using the multiplicative concept

• FM Bracers
  • 87 Cunning
  • 12 Power
  • 22.67 +Dmg

• E Bracers
  • 76 Cunning
  • 39 Power
  • 26.37 +Dmg

• Mod 1
  • 64 Cunning
  • 12 Power
  • 17.41 +DMG

• Mod 2
  • 51 Cunning
  • 39 Power
  • 20.64 +DMG

It seems even factoring mark of power taking the larger +Power mods will be of more benefit. Perhaps if they didn't split between End and cunning when they lower the power it would be better to take but as it is now :/

Edited by Rizael

^^ Temporary effects %-values multiply the stat value if they concern primary stats, they add a flat % number if they concern secondary stats.

So mark of power cunning*1.05, coordination +5% crit chance flat.

The fact that if it comes to secondary stats a flat %-value is added is very important to understand, this among other things is why the expertise power up is so awesome it adds a flat %-value so even if you have 0 you get a really good boost (important for <lvl 50 pvp).

It also makes those effects "ignore the diminishing returns.

(edit) yes the power mods are better than the cunning mods since you get more raw points of power than you lose points of cunning my post concerns 1:1 choices.

Edited by Bazzoong

Who here has what the stats are going to look like with all this gear plus augmented slots?

Side question. I am still confused about the bonuses transferring over to CRAFTED WAR HERO GEAR.

I want to have 2 pc tech bonus and 2pc pve bonus all on gear with augmented slots. 1.2 WH armorings have the bonus on it? So I can throw the 1.2 WH tech armoring on a crafted WH piece and carry the bonus with it? Can the bonuses be transferred to crafted gear?