Patch 1.2.0a is BROKEN! Rerolled to pre-1.2

Xrande

I thought I'd post a small request that I hope will be considered in the future. I'm really enjoying the game so far but after the 1.2 patch, I've felt a bit angry at not realising what exactly would change overnight.

I've very recently got to level 50 and thought I'd equip my character with the best gear I could find on the market place so I'd be as effective as possible for starting to do the pvp properly. I put all my warzone cms into mercenary cms (to about 400 merc) and I spent about 600k on gear and another 100k on crafting to re-engineer purples (and was not successful with any of them). About 3 days later, after the patch, all the gear I had bought and equipped was redundant following the PvP Recruit Vendor (although I think it is a really good idea) and I will have lost two thirds of all the pvp I have done so far since if I want to change the mercenary cms back, it is now at a 10:10 ratio from 30:10.

I just feel annoyed that for someone who assumed wouldn't be screwed over by any updates to the game, I have now wiped out all of my cash and pvp savings in the space of a few days when if I'd known these massive changes would take place, I would have waited and only had to spend about 100k and waited for the re-engineering percentages to go up.

Please in the future, can you put an alert on the launcher or something to tell players that they REALLY need to read the patch notes asap to avoid any 'disappointments'.

Sorry to whinge at you like that but I feel somewhat annoyed with all that effort gone to waste.

L2 read patch notes.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This mainly includes a somewhat simplistic UI, bad performance issues, lack of various common features (like a LFG tool) and so on. Other than the performance issues, I can attest that fixing things the UI does not take a long time. It doesn't take months to make a LFG tool. It really doesn't.

My Roommate was on the Blizzard design team for the LFG tool. It took roughly 7 months to create, test, implement. They have been modifying it continually since then. So ya your opinions aren't even close to facts.

Growing pains. Be patient folks!

People saying that the game should be F2P, or that they're unsubbing or quitting aren't helping anything at all. Constructive criticism/feedback will help this game get better.

Go ahead and leave... I'd rather play with the loyal people anyways.

Don't you get it? Can you play right now with the loyal people you mention? No you can't, and why is that? Because for the umpteenth time the game is down because of a screw up that should have been planned for before implementation. Did they have a backup procedure in place for this unexpected situation? I can re-install my system to a stable state in minutes by using a piece of software which saves the state of my system pre changes.

My question is why does it take eight hours or more to fix these screw ups?

Neither did Blizzard, neither did 989 Studios. No MMO's are flawless, and it's assenine to think this one was going to be.

I recall WoW for its first 2 years (quit due to college needing priority)

- Unplayable at the start due to mass lagg (first week)

- Queues and too few servers

- Ended up having server splits = few abandoned severs

- Character transfer took a while to implement

- WZs took a while to come into play, first being the boring grindfest of an AV (ilum sorta) - however properly instanced and with helping factors for the losing faction

- Numerous occasions of downtime with patches

SWTOR gets alot of complaints, but so did WoW at its start.

The thing I however really hope they're shaping up is endgame PvE content.

Comparing the effort you had to go through to clear Molten Core (first acces, then 1/2 bosses down a week ending with properly play and gear for Ragnaros) was one of the things a guild could be proud of.

Same with killing Onyxia, a real achievement.

While Hard and Nightmare are difficult, it just all feels so small. I think this is due to the fact of the Normal/Story mode existing. You don't feel like you've killed something new, just mastered a more difficult mode.

Edited by Greenthy

You forget. Blizzard does the same exact thing with the smallest patches for World of Warcraft. even though it's a small compensation, they're giving us a free day of gametime. I've never heard of blizzard ever doing that.

That is not remotely true. Blizzard gave out free time often. I got a lot of free time on my wow account for extended outages.

Even during the horrible launch that everyone talks about they gave out free time for outages.

So my question is how do you even manage something this destructive from such a tiny change?

This is actually a very good question. Maybe they applied and started a wrong/old binary version, which deleted all stuff it didn't know. But this would mean they've not even implemented some basic security checks.

I just hope the backup is working better than the development and deployment process ...

AW, damnit... I left for like 10 minutes and come back to this crap again?? You emo kids are making it hard for me to get my luls while the servers are down. Go back to the nonsense we witnessed back on page 100ish.

At any rate, I'm just glad to have my scotch and Klondike bar.

This thing has 100 pages? I must have max threads per page then.

Don't you get it? Can you play right now with the loyal people you mention? No you can't, and why is that? Because for the umpteenth time the game is down because of a screw up that should have been planned for before implementation. Did they have a backup procedure in place for this unexpected situation? I can re-install my system to a stable state in minutes by using a piece of software which saves the state of my system pre changes.

My question is why does it take eight hours or more to fix these screw ups?

Unlike most people here, I'm quite patient. If they need a few hours to fix something they can have it. I'd rather wait a few hours and have a smooth game than play a broken mess.

You obviously know what it takes to patch an MMO and test to make sure it works. You should apply for a job at BioWare! Pretty sure they're hiring.

Curious- does anyone know if the patches being applied will include a fix for WZ's only giving commendations if you win (Or a really pointlessly small amount if you lose)? Or is that just a new "Feature"?

Don't give them more ideas for this update today. No need to make it longer, so hushhh :mon_tongue:

I recall WoW for its first 2 years (quit due to college needing priority)

- Unplayable at the start due to mass lagg (first week)

- Queues and too few servers

- Ended up having server splits = few abandoned severs

- Character transfer took a while to implement

- WZs took a while to come into play, first being the boring grindfest of an AV (ilum sorta) - however properly instanced and with helping factors for the losing faction

- Numerous occasions of downtime with patches

SWTOR gets alot of complaints, but so did WoW at its start.

The thing I however really hope they're shaping up is endgame PvE content.

Comparing the effort you had to go through to clear Molten Core (first acces, then 1/2 bosses down a week ending with properly play and gear for Ragnaros) was one of the things a guild could be proud of.

Same with killing Onyxia, a real achievement.

While Hard and Nightmare are difficult, it just all feels so small. I think this is due to the fact of the Normal/Story mode existing. You don't feel like you've killed something new, just mastered a more difficult mode.

Except...

This game has story from 1-50. Then what? You grind for gear so you can do Operations with no point other than kill time.

So, you roll alts for their story. Still, nothing after 50 except a gear grind and pointless operations.

After you've exhausted the story, there is nothing but gear grind.

Too many have orphaned lvl 50's on dead servers that have been left there INTENTIONALLY by BW because to merge servers is to admit they have fewer players than they expected.

This is actually a very good question. Maybe they applied and started a wrong/old binary version, which deleted all stuff it didn't know. But this would mean they've not even implemented some basic security checks.

I just hope the backup is working better than the development and deployment process ...

Can you even imagine the feeling Sephen Reid would have in his stomach if he had to come back in 8 hours and say, well... um we didn't have it backed up either so all your guild banks are now empty.

Does anyone know what they were patching to begin with today that caused this abortion? Was it something trite like "1% of people trying to log in are getting stuck at the server select screen until they re-login" like they did in january or was it some TRULY game-breaking issue that couldn't be delayed like people's credits were quintupling when selling cantina drinks back to the vendor?

L2 read patch notes.

Never Ever ever spend all your savings when a major patch is on the horizon

Save everything til after that patch . I mean it's sad and I have seen several people say the same as you , but with new equipment and all coming why would you blow everything prepatch?

The last people to "rage" against their government to make their lives better left 17 dead.

Now thats "Kinda sad to watch". Dont mix virtual reality and reality.

I would love to see MMO players RAGE against their government. A bunch of fat, nerdy, video game players rioting, flipping car, and burning ****...

Would be rather amusing.

However me being military they'd probably have us have to clean up, o rbeat the ragers with riot gear and what not, when in fact its the BW clowns who need the beating!

Unlike most people here, I'm quite patient. If they need a few hours to fix something they can have it. I'd rather wait a few hours and have a smooth game than play a broken mess.

You obviously know what it takes to patch an MMO and test to make sure it works. You should apply for a job at BioWare! Pretty sure they're hiring.

Nowhere in the definition of the word "few" is anything higher then four mentioned. Let alone twelve.

So much qq'ng over a stupid maintenance day... srsly... now i see people screaming remove your credit card before it's too late... if that's how you feel keep it to yourself don't go spreading your slander as if you hope for it to be viral and cause the doom of this game all because you can't log in to play... YOUR OBVIOUSLY UPSET BECAUSE YOU LIKE THE GAME AND WANT TO PLAY IT... so stop being a moron and telling others to stop playing just because you didn't get to play during your day off... or because you only get a few hrs a day to play... nobody cares about your schedule... nobody cares that your under the oppression of a female that demands your attention... and nobody cares what you say... so suck it up and drive on.

L2 read patch notes.

Yes, thanks for the advice :)

All I'm asking for is a big neon sign on the launcher saying 'if you don't make these changes [...], you will lose out big time'.

On their link from the launcher all I got was Legancy this and Legancy that. Not, 'don't spend any cash for a few days or get any mercenary cmds'.

Except...

This game has story from 1-50. Then what? You grind for gear so you can do Operations with no point other than kill time.

So, you roll alts for their story. Still, nothing after 50 except a gear grind and pointless operations.

After you've exhausted the story, there is nothing but gear grind.

Too many have orphaned lvl 50's on dead servers that have been left there INTENTIONALLY by BW because to merge servers is to admit they have fewer players than they expected.

aside from the MC fact that I've mentioned, it's the same :)

pre-MC one would grind instances for their class set, or mats for crafting.

remember that MC required 40 ppl online, in semi-decent gear (said class gear).

I remember the game came out in Feb. and our guild started MC in june, and was still one of the earlier guilds of one of the busiest EU servers.

WZs came out like 6months after release (1 WZ) and that was an even duller grind for gear than the previous pvp grind in swtor (centurion-champ-bm)

You don't seem to be giving them a fair chance to start their first MMO. But I agree, that PvE endgame needs a step-up