PvP's new pace, what do you think?

OGsam

I really like the new pace. I was really getting tired of having my pre-made of 4 (cuz you know heaven forbid if I'm allowed to play with 7 of my friends in a SOCIAL game) all focus healers down that would heal themselves back to full if we were stunned for a single GCD. The lack of DR on CC is really starting to show its ugly head and I hope they are going to implement a better system. Overall, pvp is a quicker pace now. Just let us que grps of 8 for the love of god!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Healers are still unkillable in any reasonable amount of time when they have a competent tank protecting them.

Those 5k marauder crits? If the healer is guarded and the Marauder is taunted.... 5k turns into 1800.

Just learn how the game works. Go do some research and learn how the specs that give you trouble function. Then you will know how to properly use your cooldowns to counter them.

Nothing is overpowered alone. Some classes/specs only seem that way due to circumstance and your own failure to understand what just happened to you.

If you can tell me how to create a tank out of thin air, let me know so I can bring one along to all of the solo-queued matches I play.

"But Andabatae, you should group up with people when you play warzones."

/facepalmagain

It's become a DPS race - in Taugrim's words, a 'gibfest'. I think some people are overreacting, but burst damage is currently too dominant.

Taugrim is clueless when it comes to pvp. I don't even know how that guy has so many followers... Do you listen to the other things that come out of his mouth?

Is this 5-second-killing happening in 1-49 mostly, or in 50, or equally in both?

I haven't noticed this at all as a healer, in the level 50 bracket.

I'm not saying it isn't true obviously - lots of people seem to be reporting it. I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Anyone who says that the new speed of PvP will weed out the bad players has no idea.

Others that say there is now a requirement for quicker thinking and more skillful play have no idea.

I'm a heal-spec Operative, and I can barely keep people alive. Go on, say that I must be a bad player. I know I'm not. I know my gear isn't terrible. This isn't fun. Seeing someone's health go from 100% to 30% in a couple of seconds, and then seeing my heals do almost f**k-all... Why do I even bother?

Take what you described replace 1.2 with 1.1.5 and Heal with DPS. That is how the game used to be.... DPS couldn't DPS. I'm a gunnery commando, I don't suck, I would use every cool-down, every stun, positioning (to try and stop them from LoS me).... and I couldn't do anything using everything I had.

I actually spot heal as well (gotta love a dps class that can spot heal).

I don't think you are a bad player. I am also adjusting to the new pace and style of the game. I am finding that I HAVE to think / react faster and that I have to change my rotation and clickies because it plays so differently now. I have been killed in a stun rotation 1v1 (I had 2 GCDs, was a good op and its not like I didn't do anything).

I have also seen healers heal, even though it is clearly hard for them.

I'll adapt, but I can still enjoy a slower style of play that was more strategic and less tactical.

Thank you for a well thought out post (made tl;dr version for ya) and I whole-heartedly agree. 1.2 is very new and there are things to still discover. As always it won't be the end all be all patch, there will be more to come. But it is nice to have a change and I think it strikes a balance between strategies and tactics FAR better then 1.1.5 and prior ever did. I like that both situational awareness AND startegies (group composition, team location, fighting location, etc) both matter now.

Take what you described replace 1.2 with 1.1.5 and Heal with DPS. That is how the game used to be.... DPS couldn't DPS. I'm a gunnery commando, I don't suck, I would use every cool-down, every stun, positioning (to try and stop them from LoS me).... and I couldn't do anything using everything I had.

Possible interpretation: gravity round... oh wait interrupted... wait 4secs... gravity round... oh damn, he knockbacked me (Sorc / Sage)... gravit... oh damn it, interrupted again...?

Edited by GalaxyDude

Possible interpretation: gravity round... oh wait interrupted... wait 4secs... gravity round... oh damn, he knockbacked me (Sorc / Sage)... gravit... oh damn it, interrupted again...?

Hahaha close.... I do use Charged Bolt when GR is interrupted / locked :)

Slower pace is always better for RPGs as it gives time for tactical choices, thinking and, overall, more intelligent and gentleman's gameplay. People evaporating in seconds in "visceral" type of gameplay is, in my humble opinion, nothing but a new gen **** and belongs in FPS for that type of players who enjoy sleepless nights of burning themselves in tuning their reflexes to an extent of a hungry puma.

However, rolling back inbefore 1.2 is't an option either. It had too many stalemates. Some kind of compromise between 1.2 and inbefore is in order. Dropping few percent in damage without changing everything else would bring better out of PvP again.

Edited by Shadenuat

Before 1.2:

1. Get target down to 40% while lining up Wrath and Lightning Barrage procs.

2. Ensure that Death Field and Chain Lightning are off cool down.

3. Once procs are lined up: Electrocute target, pop adrenal, relic, and Recklessness.

4. Dump Death Field, then Chain Lightning, follow up with Force Lightning, Shock if target still isn't dead.

After 1.2:

1. Pop relic, adrenal, and Recklessness.

2. Death Field, Affliction, Force Lightning until Wrath procs, Crushing Darkness, spam Force Lightning until either target or I die(s).

Edited by Numerii

Is this 5-second-killing happening in 1-49 mostly, or in 50, or equally in both?

I haven't noticed this at all as a healer, in the level 50 bracket.

I'm not saying it isn't true obviously - lots of people seem to be reporting it. I'm just asking out of curiosity. >>>

I am not seeing it either. The only difference I see is that healers aren't powerhouses anymore. I am actually dying less in 1.2 than previously.

Who's bright idea was it to make Ilum useless? PVP'ers want OPEN WORLD PVP! do you really think it's fun doing the same warzones over and over again? I think you guys need to hire some NON single player game developers to help you figure this out.

i love the new pvp. old pvp was too slow and healers definitely were too effective... they actually need to play now as a support class rather than running around kiting 4 dps'ers and being undying gods of game

the cc system is still broken they need a proper DR system like wow rather than the silly resolve bar but other than that im thoroughly enjoying pvp at the moment, a massive increase in enjoyment over last patch (im not a marauder/sent by the way).

I do agree marauders could be toned down a tad, they seem to be doing markedly more dmg than every other class.

new warzone kicks *** in my opinion

i'd wager most qq'ers are either healers or sorcs who got nerfed (but the community all knew they needed it.)

i love the new pvp. old pvp was too slow and healers definitely were too effective... they actually need to play now as a support class rather than running around kiting 4 dps'ers and being undying gods of game

the cc system is still broken they need a proper DR system like wow rather than the silly resolve bar but other than that im thoroughly enjoying pvp at the moment, a massive increase in enjoyment over last patch (im not a marauder/sent by the way).

I do agree marauders could be toned down a tad, they seem to be doing markedly more dmg than every other class.

new warzone kicks *** in my opinion

i'd wager most qq'ers are either healers or sorcs who got nerfed (but the community all knew they needed it.)

First intelligent post. Healing was too strong I agree, Mara's need some nerfs, and rewards for losing could be a TAD better, but not as silly as before when you got the same as a win regardless. Those complaining are likely just selfishly upset they cannot farm coms as fast as before in losses.

You never could. If you were tanking 3 DPS for any length of time, they sucked.

Pre 1.2 you could absolutely pop defensive cooldowns and occupy more than a single DPS for an extended period of time. You should have never died to a single DPS no matter how well they played. Seriously, healing pre 1.2 was laughably easy.

I age with the posts that don't like the change. Tactics are gone and individual battles are over in the blink of an eye. The pace just doesn't appeal to me.

The only good change IMO was the voidstar tie breaker. I liked medals, pace, and wz length better pre 1.2

I play a healer and kinda like it. I just stick near my group....some dps jumps in and thinks he is going to kill me really fast. What he forgot was he also dies super fast now also. I just need to survive longer than him which is super easy. People got what they deserved...more respawns. I died like 3 times in 15 wzs tonight. All pugging.

I was expecting the worst when I went in PUG on my Sage (I PUG and do premades; BM geared & hybrid seer/balance). Perhaps it is a server issue (populations, etc.), but outside of not using our 2.5 second cast heal (except as a decoy for interrupts for my short heal & healing trance), I and my team dominated last night (PUGs included). I got croaked a lot more than you did apparently, but I definitely came away feeling much better about 1.2, which truly surprised me.

This isn't to downplay anyone else's bad experience with the patch (as servers and players vary), just to comment mine wasn't as bad as I expected.

I like the new medals, people should play to win and be rewarded accordingly. If you are having troubles getting wins I suggest you make some friends and/or get better at your role.

I find the new pace to be a little volatile but it is also better for the game as it encourages better/faster desicions from players such as positioning and group play. Before this patch I had seen many voidstar matches to go to a stalemate due to the predominance of healers and that was just not fun. Healing might be a little harder because people die faster but it is better than having "unkillable" people defend a node or door.

Oh by the way I play a healer