Slicing Lockbox Changes Intended?

lull

lol not a game breaking 100mb patch that the notes said were so ppl could delete toons, and CSR's could reply faster... does any1 else think there was a lot more in that patch, oh wait LOL there was, half of 1.1.......

iv been a big bioware supporter (dont trash talk them etc etc) BUT this is a joke, who does the shifty to only one part of slicing, i can still make a moderate return on moderate missions just teh rich are a total waste.... it looked like an unintended consequences mistake UNTIL te in-game CSR's started saying nope its WORKING AS INTENDED so intentional..... i would like to have someone from bioware pop a post in here to confirm/deny and give us ACTUAL news as we all know the in-game CSR's well copy paste what they think is the right answer and move on....

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'droid' message seen above is simply a standard reply, that covers all manner of situations that players are likely to write to BioWare about. Don't read too far into the wording and how it pertains to the issue at hand here. Relatively certain that message is used for a number of other things.

Just keep this thread going, they'll see it.

And agreed with the sentiment expressed in this thread - as someone who started playing the game (and Slicing) after that first nerf (and still thought it was a pretty damned good way to support my gameplay), this does kind of blow. Sure, I'll adapt if I need to, but critting for the 340 mission discoveries was something I was reliant upon until this patch.

I'm certain this is an awful question, but it doesn't change the fact that I don't know the answer.

How do I determine if a slicing mission is a "Moderate" or "Abundant" (or any other type of) mission? Sure, some are red, yellow, green, or grey, but that seems to only be tied to skill level ... so how do I know what is "Moderate" so I can make money?

Also, in your experience, which missions have seemed to yield more?

I know I should probably complain about the nerf too ... but it's a money-making skill. We couldn't have really thought it would stay perfect, could we?

Anyways, as long as any missions bring back a reward, I get to do fewer quests to buy a speeder.

Thanks for your help!

Lord Dreadman

As far as procs go, pretty scarce. I've run 40+ missions in the past two days and by far I'm getting a regular credit case. Augment recipes? Exactly 1 so far (though I got 2 I believe Thurs.). Very rarely a blue box which yields a decent amount of credits and a few crafting missions. I wouldn't quite label it a money sink as I'm only down a few thousand credits net.

But I'm not sure how we are supposed to get usable augment recipes this way? Not only is it a rare proc but you obviously are looking for specific stats. If I need something for a Consular at this rate it could be days (as in 4? 5? 8?) before I get one - and then the REing over and over to get a worthwhile augment.

Not sure if it's working as intended but right now, very little upside for spending a lot of time and credits running missions.

It is a head scratcher alright

The rich yields from Tech parts (blue and purple items) for me just are not selling on the GTN at standard price, they just expire so I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and lower the prices or worst offload them at a vendor. TheAugment schematics I also got dont seem popular either

Thus far they seem no more appealing than the Augments before the patch. Maybe I am wrong but my server is one of the busiest Eu servers and activity is normally good on the GTN.

So with that in mind that and the rich bountiful lock boxes.. it seems 80% of the missions I can run on my slicing alt are redundant.

I am scratching my head and at a loss because I genuinely don't know whether to keep her as a slicer because she isn't making money unless she gets a crit.

Assuming these changes were intentional I dont get why they would give a profession mostly redundant missions or missions which are counter productive to their cuase

Okay, we've established a few things here:

-The change was present on the PTS, but was never announced in patch notes or similar.

-Rich and Bountiful missions now result in a loss of credits, on average, while Moderate and Abundant missions still bring in a slight profit.

-Slicing is "working as intended".

And yet the forum mods want us to continue discussing this. I say it's been discussed to death already; what else is there to say? What would be HELPFUL is if one of the Devs involved were to comment on the reasons for making this change.

When Slicing was nerfed previously, the Devs were very up-front about it, explaining that Slicing was way too profitable at the time and needed to be rebalanced. There was some whining, sure, but the majority of Slicers (including me) accepted the change and realized that we were still making money with it. You'd think that after getting such a positive reaction last time, the Devs would have the decency to be up-front and honest with us again. If they'd let us know in advance and summarized why, I wouldn't really be mad.

I'm certain this is an awful question, but it doesn't change the fact that I don't know the answer.

How do I determine if a slicing mission is a "Moderate" or "Abundant" (or any other type of) mission? Sure, some are red, yellow, green, or grey, but that seems to only be tied to skill level ... so how do I know what is "Moderate" so I can make money?

The missions actually specify "moderate yield", "abundant yield", etc., about an inch under the colored mission name.

On topic, started my own thread because I hadn't noticed this one, so far I've gotten 7 green boxes in a row in the last hour, all with under 1000 credits. One was from a rich yield mission, and ironically the companion that I sent returned with the failure message for a green box with 818 credits. The rest however were from slicing nodes on Corellia, which makes even less sense. How can green boxes be worth less than white boxes from actual slicing nodes. All my white boxes save for two have been in the 1200-2000 credit range.

In the MMO lexicon, when did green become worse quality than white?

Edited by JakkFrost

I've been monitoring this and another thread about the Slicing nerf for some time, and I have to say that as another player using Slicing I've noticed that the returns have changed substantially, and would also like to be given a clear explanation of what happened. I've combed the patch notes as well and there's nothing that remotely points to a nerf to ANY gathering skills or missions at all.

Some other things:

1) The purpose of this thread is to gain confirmation about whether or not the Slicing nerf was intended, bugged, or 'secret'; not to discuss why your slicing profits are still good and to condemn other players for stating figures that demonstrate low returns on lockbox missions - So start another thread if you want to argue about the mechanics of Crew Skill Missions, and the profits of each one

2) The other thread I monitored was locked to contain discussion to this thread, I'm assuming that Bioware is going to post a statement of their own in this thread then? If not it's kind of stupid to officially lock a thread just to ignore the 'contained discussion thread'.

I've been monitoring this and another thread about the Slicing nerf for some time, and I have to say that as another player using Slicing I've noticed that the returns have changed substantially, and would also like to be given a clear explanation of what happened. I've combed the patch notes as well and there's nothing that remotely points to a nerf to ANY gathering skills or missions at all.

Some other things:

1) The purpose of this thread is to gain confirmation about whether or not the Slicing nerf was intended, bugged, or 'secret'; not to discuss why your slicing profits are still good and to condemn other players for stating figures that demonstrate low returns on lockbox missions - So start another thread if you want to argue about the mechanics of Crew Skill Missions, and the profits of each one

2) The other thread I monitored was locked to contain discussion to this thread, I'm assuming that Bioware is going to post a statement of their own in this thread then? If not it's kind of stupid to officially lock a thread just to ignore the 'contained discussion thread'.

OMG HAV WE BEEN NOTICED, must have been if they are redirecting... YAY now for a post

Terrible returns on slicing boxes here, instead of making around 105% of my investment I obtain dismal amounts of less than 40% of my initial investment, killing mobs for vendor trash is actually more profitable now.

If I could pull out 5 companions and we have a six person mob-massacre party, that would be great, but FIX SLICING please, bioware. :mad:

It seems that BioWare may have been overestimating the value of sliced tech parts, while it seems many of the players who choose Slicing as a gathering skill like it as a slow but steady income. If Slicing would provide us with a chance to get schematics other than Cybertech ones (and who else is sick of having 100 Kuat Missile schematics by now??) I can understand a nerf to credits from lockboxes on Rich missions. Sadly, that isn't the case right now.

Maybe it's just me, but...before 1.2 I used to seek out the rich or abundant missions, even if they were lower level, because they were not common. Might have one rich or abundant per tier, if that. Now...now all I SEE are rich and abundant, and I'm actually having to dig all the way down to find moderate ones. It's as if it's opposite day! Also haven't had a single crit since 1.2, and I *was* doing rich and bountiful until yesterday. Argh.

I can understand the Devs wanting to reduce the yields from Rich and Bountiful missions, but I do wish they'd done that by toning down the profits from critical success, not making every non-crit a massive loss. And like I said before, what really rankles me is that they didn't even give us a warning like they did last time they (justifiably) nerfed Slicing.

OK, I'm officially joining the chorus of customers who are not so much upset about the change itself (although it DOES suck), but more upset about the devs' attitude about the whole thing, i.e. nothing in the patch notes either for the test server or the live launch, no official word here or anywhere I can find about why it was considered necessary, only the vaguest indication that it was indeed intended, in short a complete and total lack of consideration of the customers in a situation we're bound to consider as a major non-positive change.

It's the sort of thing I would threaten to cancel my subscription over if I thought it would do any good, which I don't. Anyways I've already paid for the next 25 days, so they have at least that long to fix this or make it make sense to me.

And I would like to re-iterate that I would not be threatening to quit over this change specifically, but over the fact that they obviously don't care what we, the customers, think. I've had much better responses from the devs of free games; I'm not about to pay for the privilege of being ignored.

And I would like to re-iterate that I would not be threatening to quit over this change specifically, but over the fact that they obviously don't care what we, the customers, think. I've had much better responses from the devs of free games; I'm not about to pay for the privilege of being ignored.

They may have had an intuition about the possible outcry and hard questions they would face about the change... so why not "sneak" it in underhand and then disclaim any rumours of "this has been nerfed"... as they do right now

It may, of course, have been unintentional, - although the customer support reaction "everything works as intended" seems rather confusing should this me the case

Basically makes another tradeskill rather useless, adding to the dominance of Bioanalyis, Scavenging, Underworld Trading and Diplomacy as money makers

Edited by achwas

I have noticed a significant loss in running the missions that used to bring a small profit that would at least compensate for the cost of the mission and a little extra... however.. what the frell were they thinking to make it so that running the rich missions were not worth the net losses? i mean it takes about 200k to get a frelling crit and you don't get 1/4 of that back.. also with the warzones.. they took out the 30 daily but kept the 150 weekly?? uhmm why ??

OMG HAV WE BEEN NOTICED, must have been if they are redirecting... YAY now for a post

It has been noticed. Mr Reid tweeted on Saturday that it's been swent up the line for investigation. Wouldn't expect anything before Monday at the earliest though (since if it IS a nerf, it'll have to be suitably 'spun' :D)

Ok, it appears, from what other people have posted and what I've noticed particularly, that missions are just being mislabelled. Rich are not rich, moderate are. Obviously this is a big whoops, but they have to notice and fix that; it's also affecting other gathering professions.

So...go with the moderates, or wait until it's fixed.

Hell...since the moderates are cheaper, go with them...lots...while we can. ;)

Edited by Taomist

It has been noticed. Mr Reid tweeted on Saturday that it's been swent up the line for investigation. Wouldn't expect anything before Monday at the earliest though (since if it IS a nerf, it'll have to be suitably 'spun' :D)

Cool.... so i can expect to hear about it at about the same time as the 1.2.0c patch to fix all the other stuff will get dropped..... unless thats gonna go to the PTS so it can be tested for a month and e will call it 1.3 :D