What was so bad about SWG?

TheSkyPirate

Even though I hated the NGE (yeah, I'm a Pre-Cu Jedi fanboi), I really wish they would just bring that game back online with a micro store and make it F2P...I'm sure they could figure out something to sell to the masses...

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though I hated the NGE (yeah, I'm a Pre-Cu Jedi fanboi), I really wish they would just bring that game back online with a micro store and make it F2P...I'm sure they could figure out something to sell to the masses...

There were plenty of things that could have been handled with MTs, but Lucasarts is unlikely to let anyone do that. Still, I also wish they would just bring it back online.

I loved SWG. Laggy? Of course. I was on an older computer at the time. It. was my first MMO and the reason I bought my first gaming computer.

I've since played EQ, EQ2, LotRO, WoW, DAoC, DDO. STO, TSO, Rift, Runescape, Aion, and a host of games mediocre enough to escape memory, and I would leave any of them, even this one, for SWG. Yes, it was overcrowded with vacant houses, crafting was rather convoluted, their Devs needed spanked repeatedly over NGE, and they deleted my CLASS, but before they "fixed" it, the world had an almost organic quality that transcended every MMO I've played since. Going from group to group in the wilds, healing and entertaining other players at their camps, hanging out in the cantinas and watching the players dance and play for tips... even missing the shuttle by 15 seconds and spending the next 9 minutes chatting with complete strangers who also missed it... good times.

I played SWG for years and loved it, IMO it had everything but what it lacked was Heroics, just needed a few more.

PVP was fun and yet simple, player housing was amazing, i spent countless hours just doing deco in my house.

Crafting was 10/10 imo, i was in a beast master guild and we tryed so hard for Mutations.

When SOE announced that they are closing SWG a part of me died, i will always miss my server (Chilastra) my guild and the friends i made in game.

@ OP For me it was the following

Pre NGE

1.) Crafting

2.) Exploration

3.) Vehicles

4.) Player housing

5.) Skill system

6.) Player run economy.

7.) Multiple professions to choose from.

8.) Cantina's as social areas.

9.) Jump to Light Speed.

10.) Mounts

11.) Hair design'

12,) Character creation

13.) Player cities

Post NGE: SWG Producer Dead Meat.

1.) When Dead Meat became the producer for SWG he led his team and added content that the community was asking for. In my opinion he actually steered the game in the proper dev cycle post NGE.

2.) Player created content.

3.) Role playing.

4.) The DX 10 player made mod. Go SWG MODS!!!

Things I hated

1.) The NGE

2.) The NGE hot bar skin.

3.) Forum trolls.

This topic is interesting to talk about. But honestly I am glad the game is over.

Edited by Astralll

n-o-t-h-i-n-g was wrong with SWG, it was its own breed of a game. SWG was a perfect version of a star-wars game, it really DID allow you to play your own character, and live your own legacy, unlike SW:TOR, promoting that you really COULD live your own legacy, but here, you cant. :mad:

I wish they could just bring SWG back online, George Lucas would be making a lot more money if he just brought it back up, because half the SWG players left SWG when it shut down, and didn't go to SW:TOR (Backfiring on George Lucases plan to shovel SWG players to SW:TOR). Thus, I do believe SWG and SW:TOR should run along side eachother, allowing those who are SWG fanatics to REALLY live there legacy (including me) and then allowing SW:TOR to be for those new Star Wars players. This would also increase the $$$ for Lucas Arts.

I am just dreaming, right? Or, to FIX SW:TOR, you could add player housing, like a small sub-realm on-top of a Coruscant sky rise thats like a SWG planet where you could place your house, and similar places like it across all planets. Then they could try to improve the crafting system AND RP clothing, instead of wearing armor all the time, sometimes people might want to wear a silly multi-colored costume into battle. finally, add in a player-run economy, based off of a Crafter Class and a Entertainer Class,bringing together a wide range of people to one specific spot, and getting more people to STAY on the game. and then the Crafter Class instead of getting good gear from Vendors, this would promote a plater-run economy and bring people together, instead of relying on vendors, which you cant socialize with :p And that is all my raving antics for now.

I wish they could just bring SWG back online, George Lucas would be making a lot more money if he just brought it back up, because half the SWG players left SWG when it shut down, and didn't go to SW:TOR (Backfiring on George Lucases plan to shovel SWG players to SW:TOR). Thus, I do believe SWG and SW:TOR should run along side eachother, allowing those who are SWG fanatics to REALLY live there legacy (including me) and then allowing SW:TOR to be for those new Star Wars players. This would also increase the $$$ for Lucas Arts.

I am just dreaming, right? Or, to FIX SW:TOR, you could add player housing, like a small sub-realm on-top of a Coruscant sky rise thats like a SWG planet where you could place your house, and similar places like it across all planets. Then they could try to improve the crafting system AND RP clothing, instead of wearing armor all the time, sometimes people might want to wear a silly multi-colored costume into battle. finally, add in a player-run economy, based off of a Crafter Class and a Entertainer Class,bringing together a wide range of people to one specific spot, and getting more people to STAY on the game. and then the Crafter Class instead of getting good gear from Vendors, this would promote a plater-run economy and bring people together, instead of relying on vendors, which you cant socialize with :p And that is all my raving antics for now.

There is a possibility in the future that bears watching. Lucasarts recently finished a hiring blitz for an engineer for an as of yet undisclosed "Open World RPG project". They did it in a very strange round-about way, too, by doing the hiring through Lucasfilms instead of Lucasarts.

Seems that SWG was an online place to hang out.Something like facebook.There's a social aspect and ''hang out'' aspect, houses,the cantina and such.But when it comes to the actual gameplay and actualy PLAY the game it was so terrible,its hard to describe. Edited by Kaedusz

you have to be joking??? SWG failed LONG before NGE.

at it's peak SWG maybe had 750k subs. As of March 2012 SWTOR has 1.75 million subs. Now you tell me which is making Lucas more money.

SWG was a great game. It had plenty of sandbox options and things to do. I think NGE was fine. I got SWGEMU just to see why people were complaining so much about the NGE. I played SWGEMU for a few days and got bored out of my mind. There is no content and that was how SWG was when the pre-CU was in place. You had to camp in outskirts of cities and grind, fighting enemies to get a skill and achieving jedi is close to impossible. NGE, however had loads and loads of content. There were a million side quests and a main questline. There were expansion packs, heroics, atmospheric flight and so much more. Pre-cu wasn't that amazing. NGE is actually where it's at. I noticed that those of you complaining about NGE played only for a few days when it first came out so you don't even know how it was. I think being Jedi at the start made people who don't want to waste months of their lives grinding to get holos happy. SWTOR isn't as good as SWG in my opinion. I'd rather have SWG back. There is less social stuff to do, no player housing, easy and simple crafting, and at the max level not much to do. The worlds on SWTOR feel like zones not worlds. As said before in this forum SWTOR is a game SWG is a virtual world.

I could happily play SWG all day for months and be suitably entertained in a Star Wars way. I just don't get that with TOR. It doesn't feel like Star Wars and alot of the core elements just aren't Star Wars e.g. The Vossians feel completly out of sink within the universe... although that's a side-step from the real issue.

SWG, what I think it done best was mingle both communities within the world. That's why it felt alive, because it wasn't segregated. All too often in TOR I know I'm going to be left in the middle of nowhere with some stoopid Sith gank squad... red your dead, is ok with me. But in a SWG world I could maybe kite a couple of them off waiting for any passersby to swell the ranks, LoS to buy myself sometime. TOR it's impossible to have this level of immersion because of BW's policy to split factions up which is due heavily to the poor engine.

Within side it's own world and mechanics, TOR is linear, the implementation doesn't have to be. We're all crying (well, a good percent) for more sandbox when what we really need is a bit more immersion in the game world and a bit more life from our surroundings.

Edited by Caspian_Rho

In psychology, Stockholm Syndrome is an apparently paradoxical psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and have positive feelings towards their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them. These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, who essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors for an act of kindness.

In the world of MMORPGs, a SWG apologist and there relationship with SOE....

In psychology, Stockholm Syndrome is an apparently paradoxical psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and have positive feelings towards their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them. These feelings are generally considered irrational in light of the danger or risk endured by the victims, who essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors for an act of kindness.

In the world of MMORPGs, a SWG apologist and there relationship with SOE....

LOL, I think you're getting it wrong. If you bothered to read any amount of the posts that like SWG, realize that a whole lot of them talk about the game before SOE screwed the game with some unnecessary changes (CU, NGE) that destroyed the core game and community. For that, SOE is reviled.

You couldn't be more off the mark than a blind man trying to play a sniper.

It was awesome. The pvp was so much fun, bestine vs anchor head **** going on a lot on populated servers. Later on in its life lag did become a problem for huge pvp matches, some classes definitively had more advantages. There was nothing to heal mind (except a combat medic abilitie that healed another players mind but wounded your own) so people drank brandy to increase it and changed their health and action points and put it all into mind.

Classes that had knockdown were kinda unfair but everyone had them. Teras kasi masters had a pretty sweet knockdown, and the other player would have to have stacked knockdown defense to try and prevent it, but if they did get knocked down there were on the floor for a while. A good trick was to spam /stand /stand but not too much because if you were dizzied and you typed /stand while already standing you would knockdown again.

There was a huge crafting community. You could use terminals to search vendors across the entire galaxy for an item. Trade forums always had great stuff and was really active. Sometimes you could buy stuff just right there or you would have to travel to the planet and then city/player city it was at. The star ports were awesome, they would be filled with people going places and doctors spaping ads for their buffs. Long lines would form in front of the docs to get their buffs and people would pay them. Then that person would just head out to dathomir or something and farm nightsisters on hopes of a sweet dotted weapon for pvp.

gosh darn I miss swg! Swtor pvp is alright thought. Not the same though I miss not having cooldowns and just spamming unarmed hit 3 or unarmed stun or unarmbed combo and seeing it all in the queue.

Edited by tailsness