What was so bad about SWG?

TheSkyPirate

*stuff*

As ever with the internet and typically a game forum, a lot of what you say is over blown and exaggerated (I refer you to the "OMG an Op one hit killed me by chain stunning me and using backstab five times" crowd). Point in case, Combat Medics did not kill you instantly ffs. In fact, the only time I was "insta killed" was when I was out surveying on my crafter and a Krayt Dragon spawned behind me.

*chomp*

lol.

Combat Medics were overpowered, as was teh Rifleman because they had the ability to attack one of the three stat pools (mind) which could not be healed (barring the mind pool healing from a Combat Medic, but even that was limited).

You claimed that there was a grind, which there was but you emphasise the "SEVERAL MILLION" xp and place it out of context. If I recall correctly when buffed, you could generate 70k of XP clearing a mission solo whilst in a full group (to get the higher rated missions against th harder mobs) within 20 minutes (about 20 mobs at around 3k xp per mob plus extras).

Combat being boring... lol. IN the last days of the PRE-CU incarnation, the PVP was incredible. A full group consisted of about twenty people, and we'd roll around with three of four full groups duking it out with the Imps. I recall one night, we rolled across Lok stomping on the Imp cities/towns, nad then moved onto Talus as the Imps had rallied there in numbers and in turn they stomped on us. The PVP in a city was fluid, with lines holding, collapsing or surging forwards. All player driven.

It wasn't perfect, no. However it was msot certainly not boring.

Buffs... you said 20k was a lot. Not really. You'd make that back on your first mission sweep and then some. However 20k tended to be the upper limit. You could find slightly worse buffs for 13k+. Plus, 20 or 30 minutes to get buffed... again you exagerrate. Perhaps on a very busy day, yes this might have happened and ONLY if you were stupid enough to go to a main population hub looking for them.

Ther were plenty of towns which established themselves as mission hubs, offering free entertainer buffs and resident Docs to buff your other six stats (aaaahh Arroryo on Dantooine, how I miss you!).

Plus for PVP in a guild group, you tended to have Docs buffing you for free. Assuming you were in a good guild.

The wear on weapons and armour was actually a good thing. It stimulated the economy, unlike now where a weapon or piece of armour lasts forever therefore it doesn't need to be crafted again for you. Crafting was a major concept in SWG, so having things break was actually a good thing within this context (again you take something out of its context and spin it into a bad light). If it broke, you'd go visit a player generated vendor and buy a new one. Problem? Hell, the wife and I actually used to enjoy going out for shopping trips in SWG to resupply. Not because the act of shopping was interesting, but because seeing what other people had done with their shops/towns/cities and experiencing the beautiful landscapes en route WAS interesting.

If I was doiing a DWB run, I'd have a spare set of armour in my inventory, just in case.

Also, the fella moaning about there being cities everywhere. Again, simply not true. The number of cities per planet was hard capped at around, what, 10? There was an issue withhousing beingdropped and left, but that's another story.

If you're going to argue that a game had its problems, please do but please TRY and use facts in your arguements rather than fanciful speculation/downright lies.

Edited by QuiJonPed

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll tell you what was so bad about SWG. The publishers made sweeping changes to the way the game worked while it was live -and I don't mean small balance updates and nerfs (because it had those too), I mean they changed the fundamentals of the gameplay and character progression to the point where it was basically a completely different game.

You see how people react on these forums when the devs make small tweaks and balance changes to TOR? Now imagine what would happen if they made TOR a first person shooter, removed advanced classes & skill trees and deleted all of your gear overnight in a single patch. It was worse than that.

Edited by MorgonKara

SWTOR makes me feel like i'm playing some sort of WoW clone with a star wars mod and better graphics over the top.

Hear, hear!

I agree with the argument that if you are going to post negative feed back then please do so in a factual manner. We all know SWG had its faults as does every new ground breaking idea that man brings forth. Took the Americans a number of years to break the sound barrier, men died in the attempt. My point is the original SWG dev team had a game plan and it was going to be magnificent. SOE destroyed it so we ended up with second best. But even that second best was absolutely ground breaking for its day... Yes we are talking pre-WoW, pre-Second Life **spits at both**.

TOR is great, I am actually loving it to an extent, I usually keep away from WoWzor games and have a hard time accepting the WoWzor mentality... But TOR have something here, I agree to some extent that it is WoW (to state again I have played WoW) in a new wrapper but it's Star Wars... Let's hope the Dev's dont break what they have started and Bioware stand by the product and Dev team 100%.

I would love to see Bioware bring some of the old SWG specifics into TOR but I think we have to accept that SWG died and we now move on with TOR.

If some one re-invented SWG as it should have been I would be back over there like a shot, the EMU doesnt cut it alas.

Some great posts here and thanks to all, I have thoroughly enjoyed walkign down memory lane. Anyone remember the Dancer Drama wars at Theed Cantina on Bria Server? KinKi et al all claiming the cantina, folk used to flock there just to sit n watch the public chat go mental :D Fun times.

Edited by Ecthaelion

I thought NGE was better just because the game needed NGE to support the higher pvp and space pvp and pretty much everything that was good about the game, If i wanted to play sandbox i would of played Minecraft.

Imperial Trooper was the bomb and so was Bounty Hunter and Jedi was never good, so it was never worth playing or bothering with the holocrons before NGE.

I thought NGE was better just because the game needed NGE to support the higher pvp and space pvp and pretty much everything that was good about the game, If i wanted to play sandbox i would of played Minecraft.

Imperial Trooper was the bomb and so was Bounty Hunter and Jedi was never good, so it was never worth playing or bothering with the holocrons before NGE.

Your entire post makes absolutely no sense :s

It's bad when a team of developers lead you on to believe that a game is one way, and then change it mid-way through its lifecycle to be something entirely different. Think about all the promises made before Fable came out. What a let down!

Well, SWG is right up there with missed oportunities and dissapointments. I personally played the game at release, and then again after the enhancment came out. The shooter type combat made me so furious as a player that had become accustomed to true mmorpg style gameplay. If someone makes a game mmorpg, fine. If someone makes a shooter type MMO, that's fine too; I might even play that... However, when developers make a game and put it out there for everyone to play, they make a certain promise to players that the game's core mechanics are there to stay. It's an unwritten rule -- right up there with art direction and integrity.

What Sony did to SWG was a no-no in the gaming world. You don't change something that much once its out there. Sure, you change subtle things like talent specs and general additions to mechanics to rebalance things or you might take a tiny bit away, but the overall experience must remain the same. A game should still play the same way.

Essentially, Sony changed the gameplay in such a way as to pull away from their target audience; they sold people who like roleplaying games one game, and then they took it away to cater to a larger target audience, which were people who generally play shooters.

Second life was not star wars. No empire vs rebellion. No t21 or e11 blasters. No stormtroopers. No x wings. No chance to burn an ewok village down.

I loved the screams of dying ewoks!

Not meaning to be rude but your comment suggests you never played CU let alone pre-cu. The NGE destroyed what SWG was and made it into something else.. a kids shootem up playground with the sandbox emptied and concreted over.

Holos became defunct when CU was implemented.

Alas.

Excellent post.

It's bad when a team of developers lead you on to believe that a game is one way, and then change it mid-way through its lifecycle to be something entirely different. Think about all the promises made before Fable came out. What a let down!

Well, SWG is right up there with missed oportunities and dissapointments. I personally played the game at release, and then again after the enhancment came out. The shooter type combat made me so furious as a player that had become accustomed to true mmorpg style gameplay. If someone makes a game mmorpg, fine. If someone makes a shooter type MMO, that's fine too; I might even play that... However, when developers make a game and put it out there for everyone to play, they make a certain promise to players that the game's core mechanics are there to stay. It's an unwritten rule -- right up there with art direction and integrity.

What Sony did to SWG was a no-no in the gaming world. You don't change something that much once its out there. Sure, you change subtle things like talent specs and general additions to mechanics to rebalance things or you might take a tiny bit away, but the overall experience must remain the same. A game should still play the same way.

Essentially, Sony changed the gameplay in such a way as to pull away from their target audience; they sold people who like roleplaying games one game, and then they took it away to cater to a larger target audience, which were people who generally play shooters.

I played SWG just because Wookie was an option as a selectable race and that was great.

1) When the game was first released there were no droids and you couldn't go into space.

2) The first few months of game play was buggy but the worst was the rubber band effect (you run toward an objective for a while and then you run backwards 300 meter as if the server just snapped you back to where it thought you should be, then you have to run that distance all over again).

3)I spent about 4 million credits to have genetic samples taken from some of the rarest and most dangerous creatures in the game and take those samples to make a pet ( i chose cupu spelling? so that i could ride my pet as a creature handler) More than once i would get knocked off my pet only to have it run over and kill whomever or whatever knocked me off before i could really get any good shots in. The pet had dizzy, knockdown, and intimidate as its 3 abilities...a deadly combination.

4)When droids and space was available through an update, space was considered an instance and if there were to many people in the instance you got a message "Space is Full at this time" :eek: funniest message i have ever seen in an MMO

Plenty of opinion flying around this thread, so here's another.

MMO's have 2 basic design styles : the theme park (as popularly originated by Everquest) and the playground (as popularly originated by Ultima Online).

In a theme park you turn up, get on a ride (quest), finish it, then look for the next ride. The more rides you go on the more you level up allowing you to go on more rides. The rides are more or less the same for everyone who goes on them. The strength of a theme park comes from the number of rides it has, and in order to keep players around who have been on all the rides you make it so that some of them become more intense the more times you go on them. Notable theme parks - EQ, WOW, SWTOR... basically everything not listed in the playground description.

In a playground you're rarely, if ever, given exact instruction of what to do. Instead you're in an environment with rides you can use as you see fit : want to jump off the swings? Go for it. Walk up a slide the wrong way? You bet. A playground's strength comes from the people in it, as the people come up with new and innovative ways to use the playground. As you use parts of the playground more, typically, you become better at using them - there's no real notion of a level, you can visit any part of the playground any time you like. Notable playgrounds - UO, SWG and EVE. That's it, there have been no more (please add to the list if there's one I'm missing, but I honestly think that's the total).

From my perspective the biggest difference between the theme park and the playground is that in a playground the most dedicated, creative and inventive players become famous throughout the community from their exploits - many of which are designed to engage with other players (ie the community make the content). In a theme park, the famous players are the biggest bullies : they either lead the biggest guilds, or are the most prolific at PVP.

SWG's creative lead, originally, was Raph Koster who had previously been a designer on Ultima Online.

SWG had the potential to be the greatest MMO ever made - you got to exist in the world of Star Wars! Not this (admittedly enjoyable) half-world of SWTOR, but the real one with stormtroopers and X-Wing fighters and Darth freakin Vader. Most importantly, you only had one character slot. There were no alts in this world unless you paid for a second subscription. You had one life to lead, and the freedom of the Star Wars universe in which to lead it.

The problem was that an awful lot of players didn't want this much freedom. Dropped into the world the first question was "what should I do?" and in a playground that's a question you need to answer for yourself, but the game built in mission terminals (badly) to appease the players and the resultant experience was pretty dull.

Money was very hard to come by as the game was originally designed for the players to own the economy : you needed a weapon from a crafter you earned it by harvesting hides for that vendor. Combat players didn't like that much so the dull mission terminals started paying out increasing amounts of credits.

These players were the combat classes, and as they gained levels the amount of PVP started to increase. Unfortunately PVP swung wildly in the nerf-boost scale and the resultant experience was pretty bad.

Combat players had a tendency to see the completion of a profession as "the point" where the game had been designed in such a way that every skill along the way to the completion of a profession was valuable - completing it wasn't necessary, but the killers out there went for the end above all else, by grinding.

Looking for a challenge beyond the grind, these players were at the front of the queue asking why they couldn't be Jedi (at a time in the Star Wars universe where there were two - Luke Skywalker and Yoda), so Jedi were introduced. Badly. So badly in fact that it destroyed the balance of gameplay that existed before, as players who so desperately wanted to be Jedi were forced to play multiple classes in order to get their kicks.

Meanwhile there were those of us not playing combat roles, or at least not being too bothered about combat as a whole. We were architects, dancers, weaponsmiths, musicians, image designers and politicians, and we were creating a world. Unfortunately for those players who were being creative they were dependent on there being a fresh supply of players to use their creations - whether by purchasing goods, sitting in the audience or casting votes.

The combat upgrade destroyed the combat experience for a lot of the killer characters, and they left. Ironic really as it was intended to appease them.

The the new generation experience came along, because SOE in their wisdom thought the game was failing because it was too complicated, so they dumbed it down, effectively destroying all the characters that existed, forcing them to be something that previously they weren't.

This drove away a large number of the remaining players.

Where did they go wrong?

They ditched Raph Koster before the combat upgrade, and along with him went his vision for how the game should be - a world populated and owned by players who, over time would gain more tools with which to define the world. In his place they started responding to the players who were making the most noise - those who weren't on-board or simply didn't get the original intent for the game.

Those players who were actively involved in towns, ran cantina events, talent shows, vendors, guilds or were enjoyably involved in the galactic civil war are the ones who miss it. Those with an axe to grind, and I've nothing against them at all - they just wanted the game to be something it wasn't set up for, are the ones who focused on combat and getting the the end of their profession.

My favourite recollections from SWG are the weekend we spent running kaddu races at our town (Gold Beach City), the evening spent watching a terrible talent show in the cantina, the moment we managed to place our city hall, the week spent decorating the town, the reactions of people to our religious cult parading through Coronet, the fact I had to be rescued from the local wildlife all the time after our relocation to Lok... there are more but you get the picture.

I was an architect, shipwright and politician with no combat skills whatsoever, and it remains the best MMO experience I've had - even though I played for half the time I did the game it beat to that position, Ultima Online. I never complained once about the game, never was my opinion, or those who played like me, heard in all the changes that were introduced to appease the others - the same changes that ended up driving the majority away.

TL;DR?

Don't listen to the players. They know not what they want.

I remember it well, the first two years of my marriage went by like a flash for both my wife and I as we lived our lives in that game - Divorced now... Go figure :D LOL!

your all wrong-------Ultima Online:T2A era was the best game EVOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but only the old schoolers will know about that

Edited by Ecthaelion

Browsing the forums, I've noticed the name SWG (Star wars Galaxies) pop up various times during a discussion - and it's usually described as a terrible title when that happens.

Since I never got to play the game, I had to rely on my research (skimming through Wookiepedia's page on the game) to learn about it. Turns out it had quite a few interesting features, such as housing and player-built cities, bounty hunting, diverse space activities and the feature that impressed me the most, a third-person shooter-ish combat.

My question here is: why is SWG considered such a sub-par game? Was it the new features that scared off players? Was it poor implementation of these features?

Anyway, thanks on advance.

Nothing it was flawless in every single way

It was buggy as heck when it came out. The combat was a complete joke due to lag. There was no content at release as it was a sandbox game. The only thing to do was grind skills, and if you wanted to be a Jedi, which wasn't in at release, you had to find holocrons that told which skill to grind to master. Rinse and repeat. After a few years, it started to be mildly enjoyable, but by then it had the LOL overcrowding problem of all MMOs with mostly free housing placement.

I am sure that you and others will take this the wrong way but I am not directing this at anyone specific

The content was there for people that didn't have to be lead around by their nose. Maybe it was more PvP and Crafting focused but it was deep and complicated. Granted there were bugs, rollbacks and problems that can't be ignored or denied but I can't help thinking a little less of this type of game mixed with more swg type of game that actually had a player community would be amazing.

They had a wider range of people in that game than this ever will. The fact that people could just dance, craft, pvp or pve without doing the other things they didn't like made for a bigger group of people with more social interaction. I wish the PvE was deeper in SWG and it's hard to believe how badly they screwed it up later in its life but it was far from boring.

I played from day 1 where I had to sit in a med center and be healed a few hundred health at a time for hours before doing a corpse run through all the holo grinding (which I hated to see) and beyond. I laughed, I cried but 200 people flooding out of a guild meeting to attack imperials who decided that was a good time to try and take our bases is something that this game will never have and that's a bad thing. The crafting differences between SWG and TOR is like reading "See Spot Run" and "Of Mice and Men".

I feel like I lose a few more IQ points every time I open my crew skills menu in this game and the crafting here has already driven some fun and entertaining people away.

Edited by XDOUBLEX

Anyone from Gorath remember Burb I think his name was? Back in the CU and Pre-CU days? I liked the game, but it was like having a second job. I became a business man in it and just sold stuff :) had a few shops. Took advantage of the Jedi village by making crates of swoops and standing selling them to the Jedi grinders in the village :)

But was way to much grinding. Getting punished for losing in PvP made me never really PvP (so SWTOR is best PvP fun I've had). Pre-CU Jedi was uber because it was a nightmare to get them. But they stupidly put in perma-death. So you're almost unkillable Jedi gets killed, you lose it. But they removed that in the end. But again, the penalties were to high. An example is player bounties. Originally the Jedi were suppose to be in hiding. If they pulled their lightsaber out where others could see them (oo er), they'd end up on the bounty board. Player Bounty Hunters could then hunt them down. But if they BHer killed them, the Jedi lost SHED loads of XP etc.

That was so bad when I'd go out on a hunt, I'd feel guilty. I found one Jedi grinding alone on Tat. I came up to him and had a chat, playing the fool act as though was just wondering around. Then spotted another BHer turn up, wasn't letting him have my kill so jumped on the Jedi and killed him. He went mental and moaned he'd now lost a weeks worth of grinding (that's how bad it was, that's how much they'd lost when you kill them, that was a poor design in my eyes. Makes people NOT want to PvP). He said if I'd told him he'd have paid me off. I felt bad enough after I never went Bounty Hunting again, until they removed the point lose in the NGE I believe.

Pre-CU was **** and to much of a grind. CU was a grind but bit more fun. NGE was just, well, bit ****. Bit like TOR really but still bit to much of a grind.

The medic queues in CU were great. Starports would be packed with people milling about, queuing up for buffs. Same with the Cantina's. And that's where we get back to Burp :)

Burb was a bum on Gorath who use to just wonder round in his pants all day, begging for money, pretending to be drunk. It wasn't the same when Burb quit. I think he made at least mill begging :)

Was fun but was also crap in parts. And yes, being a merchant as I was, was like having a second job.

I played SWG just because Wookie was an option as a selectable race and that was great.

1) When the game was first released there were no droids and you couldn't go into space.

2) The first few months of game play was buggy but the worst was the rubber band effect (you run toward an objective for a while and then you run backwards 300 meter as if the server just snapped you back to where it thought you should be, then you have to run that distance all over again).

3)I spent about 4 million credits to have genetic samples taken from some of the rarest and most dangerous creatures in the game and take those samples to make a pet ( i chose cupu spelling? so that i could ride my pet as a creature handler) More than once i would get knocked off my pet only to have it run over and kill whomever or whatever knocked me off before i could really get any good shots in. The pet had dizzy, knockdown, and intimidate as its 3 abilities...a deadly combination.

4)When droids and space was available through an update, space was considered an instance and if there were to many people in the instance you got a message "Space is Full at this time" :eek: funniest message i have ever seen in an MMO

Ohh yes. I miss CH man. I was a MRM/MCH and had a bile drinched quanker that i named MindBlower. With my mind dot from just the basic Master Rifleman attacks , plus the 200 a second mind fire dot from my Tusken rifle , my bile drinched quanker had a mind acid dot as well. I could have my pet attack 1 target with a dizzy/kd , then have it mind dot that person and watch them flop around. At the same time i'd mind dot one with my rifle and then switch to another with my tusken rifle and fire off a regualr attack. Thats 3 mind doted peeps in under 10 seconds that were for all purposes out of the fight.

Loved my bile drinched quanker...

I usually do not post on the boards, but this is a thread I feel is worthy of contributing too.

Star Wars Galaixes, SWG, was not one game... it was two games. You had Pre-NGE SWG, and NGE SWG. Yes, CU changed a lot, but I felt that most of the changes were for the best, and did not really change the game... they simply balanced out many of the OP classes in the game.

Pre-NGE SWG

To this day, I say it was the greatest MMORPG yet to exist. I played that game more than WoW, EQ2, GW, and SWTOR put together. You could easily say I was quite addicted to that game (which may not be a good thing, but does speak for the game).

In this thread, I noticed some people complaining about the 'sandbox' nature of the game, lack of quests, item decay, etc. I do wish to address some of these, to show how they actually HELPED the game, and why the removal of them via NGE (and MMOs which do not use them) eventually die.

1) Item Decay

MANY people hated the fact that in SWG, items would eventually break. I am not talking WoW type of break, where you take it to a repair shop. I am talking break break. You would spend well over 100,000 credits, for a single armor piece, for top-quality armors... not to mention that you had many more slots than most MMOs. Some armor sets cost well over 10,000,000 credits to get the full set of. And after you used the armor for several weeks of heavy playing? It broke, and you had to get new armor.

That is stupid, and unfair to the players, right? Not at all. The fact that 99% of the items on SWG were player crafted (which required extensive resource gathering and harvesting), made it so that you had to put money back into the economy. Think about games like WoW and TOR. When you get the best PVP and/or PVE gear, until new gear comes out, you are done. You have the best. But in SWG, you had to constantly be spending money, which required missions.

It made the economy work, and the lack of it in other games is why player driven economies are so weak.

2) Doctor buffs.

Yes, lines were long. Yes, they cost a lot. Yes, you were f'ed if you didn't have them.

But they added another use for another aspect of the game - healing. In SWG, not only would items decay, but stats themselves would decay. You would receive Wounds, which had to be treated by doctors, same with disease, which had to be cured by doctors. Just as in the real world, doctors cost a lot of money... which added an amazing aspect to the game.

3) The Jedi Grind

OK, Jedi were in the game from Day 1. People just didn't know how to get them, until that girl unlocked hers, and the devs unveiled the class system, released Holos as drops, and gave out the X-mas holos. Yes, the hologrind was long, and kinda BS. But think about it... you were in the Star Wars Galaxy during the reign of the Empire. There should NOT be a Jedi standing on every corner.

The introduction of Jedi hunting was amazing as well. This is coming from a Jedi. Yes, I would freak out if I died with my Jedi (loosing sometimes up to 5,000,000 EXP from a death). But the system was still flawless.

-----

I could go on-and-on about galaxies. Yes, it had bugs, and the combat was bland. But that is not what it was about. It was a community game, a virtual world in which you lived in. Then SOE got upset that it wasn't the flavor of the month that WoW was (which was coming out at the same time) and started to f-things up... NGE style. NGE kept the bugs, but put you in a poorly done WoW clone. They killed the perfect game, with a single update.

SWG was a game not for the casual player. It required hours of play, and commitment. Yet it was the greatest online gaming experience any gamer could have asked for.

I'll miss the game, having fond memories of me and my friend Erapu paying female tw'leks to go to our mansions in the city that we ran.. One thing about swg was that it's economy relied on the players. People payed entertainers for buffs and to perform if they were good, then they paid a crafter to make them new armor or a house, and then the trader would pay someone who was a combat class to do jobs for him, and it did all went around. I played pre CU and a few years after and these still made the game good, and even after i had many hours of fun playing with the people who you saw around. Yes it was buggy and apart from the legacy quests you had to find another player willing to pay you if you were new but these made it fun and as many other people have said got rid of end game.

I only played in NGE and up to the last day. I enjoyed the heck out of it and would pay to play it today. Great community, Good PvP. Great Space PvP. The crafting could make you pull your hair out, but when you got that good craft it was great. Atmospheric flight was pretty dam cool and maybe to little to late.

I played on EU Chim, Chilastra and Starsider.

Great bunch of people there. I miss it.

Edited by viotoa

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.