10pm downtime? Really?

Staavis_SC

We just have a larger variety of moaning words. To whinge and to whine. Pronounced like singe and well, wine (we do like a silent H <or aitch>).

You do like a silent H! It's always a bit strange when I see "an historian". (Though admittedly, as an historian, I kind of like the ring of that one!) The only British spelling that really bothers me is "sceptical". Drives me nuts!

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those moaning that it wasn't three days notice. You are the reason that the devs are very reticent about mentioning even the slightest information. They don't want to let us know the slightest tid-bit until it's set in stone because if there is the tiniest irrelevant change there is the end of the world uproar.

Sickening really.

Also for reference, a day isn't always 24 hours. It changes on daylight savings for a start. Then there are business days, those vary dramatically and don't include weekends.

In fact technically there aren't even 365 days a year. There are 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, and 46 seconds. A calendar day isn't quite the same as a solar day. This is why we have leap years.

On that note look at months, even though you pay by the month there aren't a set number of days or hours in them. Sometimes it's 31, sometimes it's 30 sometimes it's 28. Then with the aforementioned leap years it's 29. Should we get all of our collective knickers in a bunch because we pay less for a leap year February than a normal February?

Some might say this is too pedantic. That is in fact correct. Because IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER! YOU MOANING <expletive deleted>.

Besides I'm going on the timing scale created in my head. I had 4,236 Verubian days notice before the patch so na na na boo boo.

We say whinge as in crying too much about something, I believe the US whine is the same thing.
they're both derivative of old English "hwinsian" ... the people on the other side of the pond just like to add "g's" to things to

Also for reference, a day isn't always 24 hours. It changes on daylight savings for a start. Then there are business days, those vary dramatically and don't include weekends.
There wasn't a daylight savings change so those aren't relevant; so only Business days and actual 24 hour days are relevant.

For people on the west coast, it was 1.5 business days, 1.4111 actual 24 hour days of notice. That's less than 2 days of notice.

If you're going to argue with people about whether you're think they're being silly about the situation, that's fine... but saying that they got 3 days of notice when they didn't is just false, and makes your other arguments look weaker.

Some might say this is too pedantic.
No, I'm being pedantic... you're being irrelevant, since you're talking about time measurements that don't relate to the number of days of notice given.

For those moaning that it wasn't three days notice. You are the reason that the devs are very reticent about mentioning even the slightest information. They don't want to let us know the slightest tid-bit until it's set in stone because if there is the tiniest irrelevant change there is the end of the world uproar.

Sickening really.

In fact technically there aren't even 365 days a year. There are 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, and 46 seconds. A calendar day isn't quite the same as a solar day. This is why we have leap years.

On that note look at months, even though you pay by the month there aren't a set number of days or hours in them. Sometimes it's 31, sometimes it's 30 sometimes it's 28. Then with the aforementioned leap years it's 29. Should we get all of our collective knickers in a bunch because we pay less for a leap year February than a normal February?

Some might say this is too pedantic. That is in fact correct. Because IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER! YOU MOANING <expletive deleted>.

Besides I'm going on the timing scale created in my head. I had 4,236 Verubian days notice before the patch so na na na boo boo.

Ah **** this post made me laugh :p Honestly, I thought now that 1.2 was confirmed for Thursday, I honestly though for like 2 days these forums would be happy. But hey, I'm an optimist 8-)

Sickening really.

You sir made my day. /hattip to you.

The community has clearly demanded they never give us more than a very few days notice. Any estimate they give is taken as a deadline, any hopes they have are taken as a solemn promise. The only information the community will accept is 100% cast in stone information which will not happen until a couple of days before release.

Bioware is doing exactly what the community demands.

Sigh, you wanted the release date now you have it now you QQ about downtime

when does it stop

Came here to say this.

You have to understand that downtime will be poorly timed for some players no matter what. But "alienating" the West Coast and NZ/AUS wouldn't be as bad for them as "alienating" the East Coast would be (sorry brah but ~60% of the nation's population is east of the Mississippi and I'm just going out on a limb here but i'm guessing BW has more subscribers in the US than any other country).

Someone will whine no matter when the update hits. Just find something else to do that night, it shouldn't be too hard. Be glad it's here at all.

I love the new time and hope it stays like this for future maintenances, so europeans don't lose the whole damn day.

Personally I prefer the randomness of it all... maintenance, patching, game updates... lets have it all random... the anarchy seems to bring out the best in the ME ME ME crowd and with it sooo much coke and popcorn drama... it makes me feel I'm at the comedy club getting real value for my hard earned coin. :rolleyes:

Personally I prefer the randomness of it all... maintenance, patching, game updates... lets have it all random... the anarchy seems to bring out the best in the ME ME ME crowd and with it sooo much coke and popcorn drama... it makes me feel I'm at the comedy club getting real value for my hard earned coin. :rolleyes:

The funny part to me is that it is often the same people that say how the game stinks and they are bored and can’t stand logging in, and threaten to end their subscription and then turn around and QQ if the servers are going down for a patch late at night on a weekend.

Stealth fanbois is what I figure

Edited by Dayln

As soon as I saw that 1.2 was going live, I wondered how many people would complain about the timing.

I do most of my SWTOR gaming at work. (Yes, I'm very fortunate.) My shift starts 1 hour after the update starts, and ends 1 hour after. That one hour is the only time during my shift when I can't get onto SWTOR. Would I prefer the update be done at another time/on another day? Yes. Am I complaining? No. Do I feel alienated? No.

The fact of the matter is that a lot of MMO's have maintenance around this time. This is not something new, nor is it some attempt on Bioware's part to piss off a certain segment of their subscribers. It is what it is. If the had it at any other time, someone else would be complaining. If they started at the usual time, people would complain that the maintenance is ending LATER than usual.

As soon as I saw that 1.2 was going live, I wondered how many people would complain about the timing.

I do most of my SWTOR gaming at work. (Yes, I'm very fortunate.) My shift starts 1 hour after the update starts, and ends 1 hour after. That one hour is the only time during my shift when I can't get onto SWTOR. Would I prefer the update be done at another time/on another day? Yes. Am I complaining? No. Do I feel alienated? No.

The fact of the matter is that a lot of MMO's have maintenance around this time. This is not something new, nor is it some attempt on Bioware's part to piss off a certain segment of their subscribers. It is what it is. If the had it at any other time, someone else would be complaining. If they started at the usual time, people would complain that the maintenance is ending LATER than usual.

I don't like you. Only because I want to play at work. Stare at a computer all day with no swtor on it saddens me.

Was announced yesterday, deployed tomorrow. That's 3 days in my book. Is it 72 hours? No, probably not.

I feel sorry for people's whose lives get so turned upside down because of a game not being available when it's convenient for them. Everything will still be there when you get back, promise. In fact, it'll even be better than before you left. Well, that is, after they release a couple of hotifxes to resolve the problems/inbalances/exploits that will undoubtedly be the result of this patch.

And people will complain about that, too.

Was announced yesterday, deployed today.
fixed thatfor you (deployment is at 10:01 tonight pacific time).

That's 3 days in my book.
You're off by a day even if you were correct about it being deployed tomorrow. That's 2 days of notice.

• If I tell you that you have a meeting today, that's 0 days notice.
  • If I tell you that you have a meeting tomorrow, that's 1 day of notice. (this is the situation for people who are Pacific time)
  • If I tell you that you have a meeting the day after tomorrow, that's 2 days of notice. (this is the situation for people who are on Eastern time)

All you're accomplishing is making the rest of your argument look inconsequential, because you're blatantly wrong about this.

If you're going to argue with people about whether you're think they're being silly about the situation, that's fine... but saying that they got 3 days of notice when they didn't is just false, and makes your other arguments look weaker.

Really? At what point did I say they got 3 days notice? The same place that they were promised those three days notice. They weren't. The original statement was about it being generally three days notice.

There wasn't a daylight savings change so those aren't relevant; so only Business days and actual 24 hour days are relevant.

For people on the west coast, it was 1.5 business days, 1.4111 actual 24 hour days of notice. That's less than 2 days of notice.

Ok then, if a business day is 9 till 5. There are the equivalent of exactly 3 business days in one 24 hour day. So if there was 1.4111 there was the equivalent of 4.2333 days notice.

Or the fact that it was actually leaked last week.

Whichever matters most to you.

No, I'm being pedantic... you're being irrelevant, since you're talking about time measurements that don't relate to the number of days of notice given.

My point was that argument was irrelevant, silly and pointless. Which seems to have been missed. I was being pedantic by actually going into the point that a day isn't exact as our calenders aren't exact.

If our calenders aren't exact that means your maths is slightly off, well, to be pedantic, the numbers in your maths is slightly off, which means the numbers in the maths I used earlier is incorrect. Which makes me sad. Also making this entire post irrelevant.

Funny how things come around.