Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Fun open world PVP last night

-Dench

Ilum seems to be on its way out, even in a pre 1.2 game world. This is a great thing. We all know Ilum is a hot mess. Possibly one of the hottest messes we’ve seen in gaming in a while. Either way, the player base, at least on my server has made me a very happy player.

I play on Ven Zallow with is a RP-PVP server. My guild, “New England Bay” does not RP, but we do just about everything else. We were able to take part in one awesome event last night.

About 8:30, I got a wisper from a guy I loosely know that Tatooine was under attack. A large group of republic players had broken into one of our bases pretty far from the Dune Sea area, and took over the catina. It was about 20-30 republic toons total. NEB was running a datacron hunt on Nar Shaddaa, so after that wrapped up the 8 50’s we had in our datacron hunt along with 2 other 50’s in our guild showed up, and mopped the floor of the pubs in the catina. It was a great fight, and the pubs did try their best to hold it. After we took out the catina, I lead a charge to attack Outpost Thorazan in the Dune Sea. This outpost is frequently attacked by imperials. My guild will send 4 or 5 50’s in PVP gear and go take the entire base over for an hour or so occasionally.

The fight there was awesome. The pubs rallied in their catina, and now had the advantage of multiple champion guards plus their spawn right next to them. After about 15 minutes of running around their base with over 30 imperial players and now about 35-40 republic players, we were pushed back to our Dune Sea outpost. The fight ended up in between both bases, and was still going strong after an hour when I had to log.

This is what PVP servers are all about. What a blast. I was saying in general chat that I hadn't seen open world PVP like this since December!

I hope encouraging this type of game play is on BWs radar.

just wanted to share. we can be pretty negative on the forums, but this was such a fun experience it I thought it was worth sharing.

Ilum seems to be on its way out, even in a pre 1.2 game world. This is a great thing. We all know Ilum is a hot mess. Possibly one of the hottest messes we’ve seen in gaming in a while. Either way, the player base, at least on my server has made me a very happy player.

I play on Ven Zallow with is a RP-PVP server. My guild, “New England Bay” does not RP, but we do just about everything else. We were able to take part in one awesome event last night.

About 8:30, I got a wisper from a guy I loosely know that Tatooine was under attack. A large group of republic players had broken into one of our bases pretty far from the Dune Sea area, and took over the catina. It was about 20-30 republic toons total. NEB was running a datacron hunt on Nar Shaddaa, so after that wrapped up the 8 50’s we had in our datacron hunt along with 2 other 50’s in our guild showed up, and mopped the floor of the pubs in the catina. It was a great fight, and the pubs did try their best to hold it. After we took out the catina, I lead a charge to attack Outpost Thorazan in the Dune Sea. This outpost is frequently attacked by imperials. My guild will send 4 or 5 50’s in PVP gear and go take the entire base over for an hour or so occasionally.

The fight there was awesome. The pubs rallied in their catina, and now had the advantage of multiple champion guards plus their spawn right next to them. After about 15 minutes of running around their base with over 30 imperial players and now about 35-40 republic players, we were pushed back to our Dune Sea outpost. The fight ended up in between both bases, and was still going strong after an hour when I had to log.

This is what PVP servers are all about. What a blast. I was saying in general chat that I hadn't seen open world PVP like this since December!

I hope encouraging this type of game play is on BWs radar.

just wanted to share. we can be pretty negative on the forums, but this was such a fun experience it I thought it was worth sharing.

Sounds like a lot of fun man!

I've had some great world PVP in Ilum on the server I play on (Firkrann crystal) because we used to have very good faction balance. It's not what it used to be, but my guild and I intend to encourage people to roll republic and coordinate community events just like the one you described here.

There's a big difference between "Open PVP" and "World PVP" in my definitions of such. What you described is open PVP which is always awesome player-made fun that builds community and forges friendships :D

Thank you for sharing this.

I'm glad you guys were able to get a fun fight going. It's too bad that a situation like yours isn't the norm though.

I think there's a lot more that we could all be doing for the overall health of the servers we play. A lot of people don't want to, or just don't have the time to organize events.

I seen a thread posted in the PVP forum yesterday about a player-made arena in Outlaw's Den, but it quickly was moved to the community forum for that server. It was great to read that as well because it shows that open PVP is starting to emerge.

I'm in the works of organizing some arenas on my server as well, I just had the idea about a week or so ago, so right now I'm working out logistics of it. I think on high pop servers that 4v4 will be possible, but on low pop it's best kept to 3v3. 2v2 would not be fun for people because tank/healer would dominate it.

When I get the blueprints down, I plan on creating a tutorial on how to host the events and I hope it will help others have some fun and memorable moments on their server :)

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" - Ghandi

Edited by Nukor

Screen shot or it didn't happen...

Nah, just kidding, glad you got to do some world PvP... I'm on a PvE server and run around flagged, jumping in Imp's faces, standing outside their bases looking AFK, etc... and they still won't attack me... even when they outnumber me 4 to 1. Seriously about to reroll on another server, this one is so dead now... all in the period of one month too...

It's also kinda sad that Bioware apparently doesn't even wan't open world PvP in their game... and have banned people who participated for griefing (at least according to these forums, so who really knows the truth).

Edited by Iboga

We had something similar on my server (Sword of Ajunta Pall) on Voss last sunday. alot of fun, and it was like 40v40. I posted a thread on the Server Group Forums about it and asking for other members of the server to help organize something like this on a weekly basis (at least), with no replies...:( after my own exprerience and reading some of the posts here, it seems like the reason Open World PvP is dead is because of the community and not BW, which means we can change it. Those of you who have had the fun of massive World PvP, i hope it continues for you.

Nukor, would you mind sharing some of those blueprints when you get them flushed out? i would like to do something like that on my server as well.

Even though none come to mind for me right now:o, but anyone with any ideas on how to bring active World PvP on a regular basis, please share so all servers can enjoy.

It's also kinda sad that Bioware apparently doesn't even wan't open world PvP in their game... and have banned people who participated for griefing (at least according to these forums, so who really knows the truth).

I think World PvP that Bioware banns people for is lvl 50's hitting lvl mid-20's on Tatooine (it is quite common on my server) I will frequent Outlaw's Den on occasion and i will run into a lvl 50 Imp on occasion, but they are not in Outlaw's Den, they are near it on the Pub side waiting to jump lvl 25ish pubs. Needless to say, they are very suprised when myself and Guildmates show up. actually, sunday before Voss(read above post) a guildmate and myself were in Outlaw's Den (which was dead) so as we were leaving, we came across a lvl 50 Sorc jumping a lvl 28 sage. the sage survived, the Sorc didn't.

I think there's a lot more that we could all be doing for the overall health of the servers we play. A lot of people don't want to, or just don't have the time to organize events.

As much as I want to agree with you, Bioware needs to get off their rears and add in the tools for us to make this happen. With no ability of cross faction chat, it makes doing something like this even MORE difficult. None of the kills in the open world count for anything, so there's no incentive to do this over WZ's if you need your kills. No server forums also prevents any possible pre-planning unless it's done via PMs.

Bioware has done everything they can to make what -Dench did last night difficult to organize and get participants for. Seriously, the entire PvP team needs to be replaced because they have failed beyond what I thought a game could. WZ's are NOT PvP. What -Dench did, IS!

Again, kudos to -Dench for getting it going. I'm just sorry that his situation is a rarity.

We had something similar on my server (Sword of Ajunta Pall) on Voss last sunday. alot of fun, and it was like 40v40. I posted a thread on the Server Group Forums about it and asking for other members of the server to help organize something like this on a weekly basis (at least), with no replies...:( after my own exprerience and reading some of the posts here, it seems like the reason Open World PvP is dead is because of the community and not BW, which means we can change it. Those of you who have had the fun of massive World PvP, i hope it continues for you.

Nukor, would you mind sharing some of those blueprints when you get them flushed out? i would like to do something like that on my server as well.

Even though none come to mind for me right now:o, but anyone with any ideas on how to bring active World PvP on a regular basis, please share so all servers can enjoy.

Absolutely I will man, before the event happens I plan on having a guide posted in the PVP forums and hope that I can do it good enough to get it stickied like that Huttball guide was stickied.

I also will be Fraps'ing the event, but I'm not sure how long it'll take me to get a video up for it and I'm also not sure what kind of video I want it to be... tutorial, highlights from matches... maybe a bit of both in one? Tough to say at this point, but I have every intention of rolling out some PVP videos within the next 6 months.

I've never done any video editing, but I bought the full version of Fraps last night and am a real stickler for putting out quality in my creations so I'm not going to rush a garbage video that you all won't enjoy or make use of ;)

Fraps is so easy to use and the quality is so good, that I regret not buying it sooner. I picked up the free version about 3 years ago, was dissapointed with the 10 second recording time and then cheaped out thinking "I'll find something else that's free and records longer videos" which I never found, but I also stopped looking. I found out that it's only $37 for a lifetime license and looking back, there are so many memories that will be lost in time because I didn't record them... I'm not letting that happen with this game or any future I play, it is worth the purchase even if you don't share your videos on the internet, just to capture fond moments like having a video scrapbook.

Edited by Nukor

As much as I want to agree with you, Bioware needs to get off their rears and add in the tools for us to make this happen. With no ability of cross faction chat, it makes doing something like this even MORE difficult. None of the kills in the open world count for anything, so there's no incentive to do this over WZ's if you need your kills. No server forums also prevents any possible pre-planning unless it's done via PMs.

Bioware has done everything they can to make what -Dench did last night difficult to organize and get participants for. Seriously, the entire PvP team needs to be replaced because they have failed beyond what I thought a game could. WZ's are NOT PvP. What -Dench did, IS!

Again, kudos to -Dench for getting it going. I'm just sorry that his situation is a rarity.

Give it a bit of time man, this is not a sandbox game so tools to "make your own fun" are very low on the priority list for development. I know it sucks to have to organize it yourself, but the work will be worth it for the memories the events will create.

I wanted to let you know as well, that cross-faction chat is possible with /s command, but maybe you meant the ability to just talk directly in their fleet's general channel without actually being there, or maybe in-game mail.

I also wanted to let you know that server forums are up and running already, here's the direct link http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=309 but you can also get there by clicking on the "server group forums" in the list on the community page.

Cross-faction is something that is going to be written into the blueprints I'm writing, but no surprise here... I'll probably have better luck hopping on my republic character and talking in their fleet, than simply leaving a post in the server forums. I will be promoting the forum thread in-game, but overall I think that getting out into the public, shaking hands and kissing babies will be what makes this event cross-faction.

What I really, really hope happens is that we also get some random world PVP happening during the event, like some griefers coming in trying to disturb the matches, then watching both republic and empire arena teams stomp them into the sand ;)

Give it a bit of time man, this is not a sandbox game so tools to "make your own fun" are very low on the priority list for development. I know it sucks to have to organize it yourself, but the work will be worth it for the memories the events will create.

I wanted to let you know as well, that cross-faction chat is possible with /s command, but maybe you meant the ability to just talk directly in their fleet's general channel without actually being there, or maybe in-game mail.

I also wanted to let you know that server forums are up and running already, here's the direct link http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=309 but you can also get there by clicking on the "server group forums" in the list on the community page.

Cross-faction is something that is going to be written into the blueprints I'm writing, but no surprise here... I'll probably have better luck hopping on my republic character and talking in their fleet, than simply leaving a post in the server forums. I will be promoting the forum thread in-game, but overall I think that getting out into the public, shaking hands and kissing babies will be what makes this event cross-faction.

What I really, really hope happens is that we also get some random world PVP happening during the event, like some griefers coming in trying to disturb the matches, then watching both republic and empire arena teams stomp them into the sand ;)

Are you kidding? /s is say - It's limited to like a 30m range. Good luck organizing with that.

Server 'groups' are not the same thing as server forums. My server is my community, not the 'group' we're lumped into.

Having already organized several PvP events of my own against a friendly Imp guild, I agree, they were great fun. Just because I didn't post a recap of what I've done, doesn't mean I haven't done it myself.

This game lacks even the most basic and minimal tools that, I feel, are needed to make this happen more often - cross faction chat (/w) and cross faction friends lists. I've given it time, this game isn't exactly growing any longer mate. Bioware doesn't have 12 months to fix their mistakes and lack of basic tools that foster a community.

Please don't overlook or dismiss the current barriers Bioware has in place, it's really not acceptable and they don't have the time you seem to think they have.

Good luck on your blueprint.

This game lacks even the most basic and minimal tools that, I feel, are needed to make this happen more often - cross faction chat (/w) and cross faction friends lists. I've given it time, this game isn't exactly growing any longer mate. Bioware doesn't have 12 months to fix their mistakes and lack of basic tools that foster a community.

Please don't overlook or dismiss the current barriers Bioware has in place, it's really not acceptable and they don't have the time you seem to think they have.

Good luck on your blueprint.

Is the Bolded and Italicized part observation, opinion, or 'fact'?

Please enlighten me, why is Cross Server chat, a 'requirement' and what other MMO's have had this option in place?

As far as having a chat channel dedicated to the other faction just seems odd to me.

Edited by SpaceGaunt

Hmmmm so u busted into a cantina and beat up on players 20 levels below u? Cause 8 of your 50s aint ”mopping the floor” with 30 rep players........cooool dood

Im all for open world but keep it real son, bragging bout stomping lowbies is embarrassing

Is the Bolded and Italicized part observation, opinion, or 'fact'?

Please enlighten me, why is Cross Server chat, a 'requirement' and what other MMO's have had this option in place?

As far as having a chat channel dedicated to the other faction just seems odd to me.

Fact. Deny it if you like, but you only fool yourself to believe otherwise.

I'm not sure. I'm asking for cross FACTION chat. Why do you want cross server chat exactly?

And again, why do you want a chat channel? I don't. I asked for the ability to whisper the opposition.

You need to read better. Words mean things.

Hi guys, I'll host some photos tonight when my buddy sends them to me. for some reason why i try to print screen in game the image comes out black.

anyway, my best advice to you guys if you want to try to organize an event like this is become friends with 4-5 of the largest and most active guilds on your faction, talk to the leadership, get a consensus and then bring that to the largest other faction guilds.

unfortunately you'll have to use "say" to get the initial contact going, which has under 40m of range, give them an outside of game contact (like your VOIP server, email, AIM, etc) and then hash out the details. Its a lot of work. i haven't run an event, but Ive been apart of the consensus process. Once it gets going, its a lot of fun.

Hmmmm so u busted into a cantina and beat up on players 20 levels below u? Cause 8 of your 50s aint ”mopping the floor” with 30 rep players........cooool dood

Im all for open world but keep it real son, bragging bout stomping lowbies is embarrassing

Hi, apparently I was not clear enough. Most of the Republic players were 50 in PVP gear. I counted less than 5 players under the rank of 50. The levels and amount of players was relatively balanced for most of the time I was there. This event was not a "pick on low level characters" event although that is sometimes the case (and it works both ways). Before we got there, the Pubs had the Catina locked down with AoE on the door. There wasnt enough imps to break in and control it. When my guild showed up, there was and we were able to get them out of the catina, as once they are dead they cant come back easily, and most of the combat revives had been used.

So, essentially, before NEB showed up the republic had the imps out numbered.

Edited by -Dench

Greeting,

Sentinel Tanicus of <The Republic> on the Ven Zallow server here. The assault on Tatooine was organized by our guild and was a great and fun time!

We will be posting some videos of the assault on our YouTube page that you can view here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TRGUILD1?feature=g-all-u

The first video of the initial assault on the Empire Cantina is called "The Republic Guild: Tatooine Cantina fun!"

It was such a blast - we actually had a true "Double Agent" operative on their side taunting the players in their fleet to come and help. Within about 20 minutes, the place was crawling with Imps.

After their successful defense, our double agent informed us that the empire was planning a retaliatory attack against one of our outposts. We were able to take this vital information and prepare the outpost for a successful defense. We then drove back the empire back to their outpost and continued to trade blows for another hour. We decided to give one last push through and overtake them, but they were able to hold us off with their spawn and guards like they did to us in the first attack.

I think our guild leader will be posting more videos of the second assault and successful defense of our Republic outpost as well later.

Regards,

War Hero Tanicus

<The Republic> Guild

Ven Zallow Server

Edited by Tanerin

Greeting,

Sentinel Tanicus of <The Republic> on the Ven Zallow server here. The assault on Tatooine was organized by our guild and was a great and fun time!

We will be posting some videos of the assault on our YouTube page that you can view here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TRGUILD1?feature=g-all-u

The first video of the initial assault on the Empire Cantina is called "The Republic Guild: Tatooine Cantina fun!"

It was such a blast - we actually had a true "Double Agent" operative on their side taunting the players in their fleet to come and help. Within about 20 minutes, the place was crawling with Imps.

After their successful defense, our double agent informed us that the empire was planning a retaliatory attack against one of our outposts. We were able to take this vital information and prepare the outpost for a successful defense. We then drove back the empire back to their outpost and continued to trade blows for another hour. We decided to give one last push through and overtake them, but they were able to hold us off with their spawn and guards like they did to us in the first attack.

I think our guild leader will be posting more videos of the second assault and successful defense of our Republic outpost as well later.

Regards,

War Hero Tanicus

<The Republic> Guild

Ven Zallow Server

Hey! Thanks for posting. I'm going to PM you and take some things off line so we can potentially get some more organization going for these type of RP-PVP events.

You guys had the Imps seriously frustrated when you were dug in that Catina. Someone kept yelling "you're under arrest!" :D If you guys could of revived in that place we would of took forever to get you out! I think it took 3 waves after I showed up to get you people out. I died at least twice in there which is good because i'm a pain to kill between the healing and the break combat cloaking.

How long did it end up going for?

Besides Ilum, what are some of the more populated areas for people to stir up some world pvp? It's annoying to travel to random places, just in an attempt to stir up some world pvp. Half the time I dont really find anything worthwhile, and im not on a low pop server. Posts like this are a breath of fresh air aside from all the QQ going on in forums.

Besides Ilum, what are some of the more populated areas for people to stir up some world pvp? It's annoying to travel to random places, just in an attempt to stir up some world pvp. Half the time I dont really find anything worthwhile, and im not on a low pop server. Posts like this are a breath of fresh air aside from all the QQ going on in forums.

Pfff... Thats because you are lazy..

Just gather group of 2-3 or more players and go to the any planet.. For example Aldaraan or Hoth..

Seize the spaceport and begin harrasing the low-levels and they certainly will cry for help (even at Fleet..) Backup will come..

Have fun..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.