Best SSD drive for SWTOR

Crosswinder

SW:TOR can easily be the biggest MMO ever due to the voiced conversations. I wouldn't recommend getting a SSD.

Rubbish....SSD drives are fine, but you wont notice a huge improvement. Best to put your Windows on SSD for the best performance.

I have an intel 120gb and OCZ vertex 3 ssd. I would not recommend the OCZ. It sometimes fails to be recognized, but at least it's not used for anything important. I use the intel for my boot drive, and it's quite possibly one of the best single upgrades I have ever done for a computer in many years.

I have a Samsung 830 128gb. I've noticed load times improve, but we're talking seconds and not instant loading, and conversations load very fast. Belsavis and Corellia still take an age to load.

I use an Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD. There is a noticeable performance increase over my old 7200rpm HDD.

Win7 and SWTOR both installed on it.

Would be best to have a couple, maybe two 64gb. Have Windows on one and Tor on the other.

Im using a sata 2 kingston 120gb one and when i reinstalled it on my ssd after freeing up some space my load times halved easy. My normal 1tb harddrive is pretty crap but still.

So if your going to go with a newer SATA3 one i can imagine it being even better, i noticed a significant improvement, and my wait time never last more than 20 or so seconds now it seems at most

Edited by Samborino

Hi there,

i have been running SWTOR on both types already, first on a "standard hdd" raid 0 array (2x Western Digital 160 GB) and now on a SSD raid 0 array (2x 160 GB Intel 320 SSDs).

I can't notice much difference in loading speed (i.e. loading screen / planet change, etc.) at all - just the launcher get's a perfomance boost in being started :-). Not sure why that is the case, but i assume that it is additionally (re)loading or crosschecking stuff from the web and not only reading stuff from the HDD during the loading screens, and that this is slowing down the loading phases (unless you have a pretty fast internet connection, so that this might not come into weight).

Just to clarify: I think in general SSDs drives are one of the most noticeable perfomance boosters you can get for your rig atm. as long as you go and install your O/S *and* your games on it (so don't calculate to small in ssd size), though my bottom line is, that SWTOR in particular doesn't seem to benefit from beeing installed on a SSD drive - unlike many other games.

Bye,

Aldaine

Edited by Aldaine

An SSD does only give you a small benefit at loading times, booting etc. It does not increase anything else while you are playing, like fps, graphics...

So if you have performance issue´s an SSD wont help you.

Id recommend an SSD if you work with your pc, like making music, graphics etc. for games its not necessary yet - no game has such big loading times yet, we are talking about seconds here, even Tor does hardly need longer than 5-10 seconds.

Or.. Raid 0 them...

Your suggesting they RAID 0 a system drive. Are you totally nuts? You increase your chance of system drive failure by a factor of 2. No computer professional would recommend this.

If you do do this (or not) you will need to backup at least weekly. You will also need a way of restoring system files to system that no longer boots its OS. So you would need to make a drive image of your system drive every once in a while. When you restore with a program like ghost or clonezilla, you will then need to restore any backups since the image was made.

SSD drives are fast enough as it is. There's no need to increase your failure rate running RAID 0

Mhh, even if I wasn't adressed and I also wouldn't recommend it to a non experienced user, you cannot deny the fact that RAID 0 is the maximum performance solution. As mentioned above I'm running a SSD Raid 0 array as system drive and the overall perfomance is incredible, compared to the already impressive perfomance of a single SSD.

It can also be slightly cheaper to buy i.e. 2x 120 GB SSDs as a large one, while taking the performance bonus in addition.

If you have a proper backup/imaging solution (like Acronis, or for Win7 the integrated backup utility is pretty good as well) and a second drive or NAS to backup to, you can run full disc backups in no time. I'm doing full bare metal restore backups automated once a week - it's running in the background and needs about 25 minutes without interrupting me in using the machine (as the most imaging tools use snapshot technology nowadays).

This would allow more frequent backups as well, but my important data is on the NAS anyway, so I can live with a one week old image.

Also keep in mind that the durability of a SSD is much higher than the standard hdd. So the risk in loosing a disk is much lower as with usual hdds.

Edited by Aldaine

I use a 120 gb OCZ Vertex 3. I have Windows and TOR loaded on the SSD. The Windows swap file is also on the SSD as well, though many other people offload this to a more traditional HDD. I left mine on the SSD though because I still had more than half of the drive free after everything was installed and configured.

I run on a 120GB OCZ Sata 6 SSD, played on regular HDD during beta and there is hardly any difference if any. No idea why.

As a side note, ever since I added the SSD every now and then my regular HD seems to lock up for a few seconds, I hear it click once, then it continues. I mostly notice it when I alt-tab and open Firefox which is on my HDD. I only have Windows and TOR in the SSD. Is my HD crapping out or is that normal? Maybe some power saver mode I dont know about. Sorry to go a bit off topic, just need a quick answer :p

Edited by MasterKayote