The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Do you prefer Vengance or rage specc ?

Terimac

Yo hello.

I was just wondering what specc you guys likes the most. On my server most Dps juggs are rage specc, dont know really why :p I play as vengance and i like it better i dont know if i do more damage or not but i think i have better survivability and mobility. My damage is about 250-300k each warzone .

I tried rage specc also but meh i dont like that you have to depend on 1 attack so much, and its pretty easy to miss imo.

So what do you guys think about the rage and vengance specc and what do you play as/prefer ?

Yo hello.

I was just wondering what specc you guys likes the most. On my server most Dps juggs are rage specc, dont know really why :p I play as vengance and i like it better i dont know if i do more damage or not but i think i have better survivability and mobility. My damage is about 250-300k each warzone .

I tried rage specc also but meh i dont like that you have to depend on 1 attack so much, and its pretty easy to miss imo.

So what do you guys think about the rage and vengance specc and what do you play as/prefer ?

you should probably define PvP in your title. was about to reply then noticed that you mention warzones :D I'm solely a PvE player.

Net result you'll get from most though is: Both are good specs, both work in PvP. Rage is the more common go to simply because it excels at burst damage. Vengeance's advantages are defensive talents.

there are plenty of people who play vengeance in PvP, but rage will be the default. immortal is pretty popular as well actually...with a immortal/vengeance hybrid being used as well.

Yo hello.

I'm just like you, Vengeance for life. It's always fun to outdo the rage juggs side by side in warzones. Everyone thinks Rage is so awesome because of big-numbers Smash, but Vengeance is a much better 1v1 spec with more uptime on targets and resistance to CC. Rage gets obliterated by CC, which is why I just couldn't stand it even though it was easier to pull huge numbers out of my *** (I found it much easier to KILL well-geared healers as Vengeance, but much easier to destroy noobs with as Rage). In an average match, both specs did the same DPS, and my high score is pretty much the same in both specs, so I see no huge advantage to either one.

I have more fun with Vengeance, so Vengeance is my spec. Rage's rotation is very random and chaotic (which fits the lore of Shii-Cho form), while Vengeance has a smoothly flowing rotation, and isn't reliant on any easily-countered skills. In fact, a lot of Vengeance talents seek to counteract the Warrior's weakness to slows and CC, and uses the opponent's attacks against them (which fits the lore for Shien form).

Edited by Vid-szhite

I've been wanting to try Vengeance for a long time, I just keep not doing it.

Would you mind sharing your spec, Vid? Sounds like you PvP, and that's what I'm looking for in regards to spec, though anyone is welcome to post a PvE Vengeace spec they like as well.

Thanks.

Riôt

Yo hello.

If you're relying on one ability as a rage jug then you dont know how to play the spec.

I prefer Rage in PvP because unlike PvE, only burst damage kills in PvP. Sustained damage just isn't nearly as effective.

Why have 5000 damage spread out over 3 different attacks when I can deal it all in one? And AoE for that matter?

Vengeance also happens to have a really boring play-style.

Edited by Dee-Jay

I play Vengeance on 2 Juggernauts.

One is a BM on my old server (who I still pvp at least 1 match with daily.) The other is my 47 on my new server (who I also PvP with daily.)

I'm almost always #1 in damage (occasionally a rage Jugg with a Pocket healer will beat me.) and KBs (even with a Pocket healer I've yet to see a Rage Jugg beat me on those.) I put a more constant stream of pressure on healers where they have to choose to heal their team and die or run the hell away from me (good luck with that btw.) and heal them selfs. I may not be doing an AoE Crit for over 5k per smash but I am pulling a 2k, 3k, 2.5k crit chain (numbers are give or take some times higher some time lower but that's the standard ball park numbers.) as well with added dots, while the dots from Scream and impale do not hit hard they add an over all 20% (10% each) to the total damage I just did, also the Shatter DoT hits pretty nice, Not to mention that you throw a two tick Ravage in there atm pre 1.2 changes that does a 1.5, 2.2k crits on the first two ticks (if both crit the second one almost always crits.) Then when they get to 20% 9 out of 10 times when I hit someone with Vicious Throw they are dead, or a sundering assault away from death.

I mean Rage Juggs are not bad by any means (a good one can be down right scary but there are so few of them, it doesn't matter.) but I prefer the play style of Vengeance.

Edited by WarSiren

I've been wanting to try Vengeance for a long time, I just keep not doing it.

Would you mind sharing your spec, Vid? Sounds like you PvP, and that's what I'm looking for in regards to spec, though anyone is welcome to post a PvE Vengeace spec they like as well.

Thanks.

Riôt

sure :D Here is my specc http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101cZIororuddMRZhr.1

this guy made me specc vengance mabye he will inspire you also :)

IMO it comes down to what you like playing. I currently am running a veng/rage hybrid, getting impale then going for oblit and (i forget the name) the talent giving free smash crits. I know I'm not pulling as big numbers as full rage but I like the playstyle more and I would rather have fun than do better in damage numbers in a spec I dont enjoy. i still bring in a ton of medals most games and it just suits my playstyle.

Although, a good player can counter rages smash easily if timed right. Animation delay FTL, needs to be fixed if you ask me.

But both specs are plenty viable. Try em both.

I've tried both specs and I just enjoy vengeance better than rage. I crit higher with rage but with vengeance I can still crit for low to mid 3ks in all champ gear(just got valor 60). I also have an overabundance of rage with vengeance that I like. It bugs me if I go to use a skill and don't have enough rage.

Plus with the unstoppable talent I feel like I can be a bigger PITA in WZ since I'm harder to get away from. I giggle like a school girl anytime I charge a sorc and he tries to knockback while I just stand there opening a can off whoop-*** on him.

Edited by Valexandria

Here's a link to a decent vengeance build (it's the one I use right now).

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101cMZIMMRrhddGRZ0M.1

Honestly I use this to mostly harass healers, I can kill a sage in less than 10 seconds.

my basic rotation is jump > ravage > impale > scream > smash > vicious throw.

I made this build to really take advantage of ravage (it does 3.5-6k damage depending on target and gear).

Edited by AllanGand

I played both and enjoy both. But I'm gonna have to say rage is the better spec of the 2 for me. I'm still in mostly centurion gear. But with vengeance I found the lack of burst disheartening I plan to try the spec again eventually but I can achieve better results with rage. Just be sure to have good awareness and exploit rage spec advantages as much as possible. Sweep bombing as many as humanly possible in a single sweep really helps your team rout the others team.

By the way, HERE is my hybrid I've been using. I went over to this after being full Veng for a little. Shatter just felt lack luster to me for so much rage, and the DoTs from Impale and Scream were a waste of points IMO in PvP.

I still might try full rage again now that I have hit 50 and have pvp gear. When I tried it, it was late 40s. I just didn't enjoy the playstyle much.

I personally enjoy how Vengeance plays way more than Rage. I tried Rage out when my Jugg got to Belsavis (43, I think... enough to fill out the tree + 30% smash damage talent) and didn't even make it all the way through the planet before switching back. The two saving graces that keep it viable in my eyes is that the super smash crit can aoe and that Force Crush is actually pretty solid (though the cooldown is a bit too long for my taste). Past the three initial Crush/Choke/Crush smashes there was a lot of dead space and I've never really enjoyed the "do something cool when your cooldown is available and then sit around and wait for it to come back up" specs. Prefer sturdy, steady, reliable stuff... but then I've played a lot of tanks in the past so no surprise that I have that mentality.

Otherwise, Rage felt like a one trick pony montage spec that's there for people to get big, shiny numbers to put in their youtube pvp video/appease the people who only want to see a big number on their screen.

Rage can certainly put out the damage in warzones, especially as people cluster a lot with the current design (chase ball carrier, stand on doors, stand on nodes), but the deal breaker was that I felt it had horrible flow when it came to rage generation/spending (pve and pvp) - that and the Smash hit detection if there was any kind of movement/elevation difference. If I played the spec longer, I might've figured out how to not have so many empty globals waiting for sundering assault to come back because I had no rage and had forgotten where I put the baseline rage builder because the damage on it is so terrible as a Jugg.

Vengeance, for me, just flowed better and made me feel like I had more tools both in questing and in warzones (kill Gold as Rage, pop everything, finish at 20%. Kill gold as Vengeance, pop nothing and just toe to toe it and finish at 60%). Can't speak for 50 pvp of either spec as I'm just waiting for the patch to buy the starter gear instead of trying to grind it out when I knew the patch was so close when I dinged (alt spam ftw). Doubt I'll be trying Rage again, though. More likely between full Veng or a Veng/Imm hybrid. Hoping for something with good utility/sturdiness that still hits harder than a wet noodle. Chilling Scream alone (particularly in Huttball and Voidstar) is reason enough to try to find something viable over dropping the Jugg for my Sent.

And I wanna play around with Intercede in pvp. It's already fun and I only get to use it to save 3 seconds of running every now and then while questing.

In the end, I wanna walk through the enemy fire, keep coming, and yell "I'm the Juggernaut, *****!" as I crush their faces in. Vengeance gets me way closer to that feeling than Rage does. Especially when they blow their stun/knockback cooldown while the Unstoppable buff is active.

sure :D Here is my specc http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#101cZIororuddMRZhr.1

this guy made me specc vengance mabye he will inspire you also :)

LOL....

Funny how you chose the worst vengeance vid to advertise this spec :)

Pre 1.1 :

When assassins/shadows did 15k burst

When Juggernaut.guardian smash crit 10k

When operatives criting 8k on tanks while they were stuned

When ptech rail shot crit 6-7k

You chose a jugg that crits 3500 on lowbies.... seriously?? :D

more fine vid of vigilance (vengeance) . I play rage though..

That might be the 1st and only good vid i ever seen about that spec. Though when i respec to vengeance, i take the +1 sec root on my charge instead of huddle :) I like to have enemy target close to me for as long as possible.

cooldown is a bit too long for my taste). Past the three initial Crush/Choke/Crush smashes there was a lot of dead space and I've never really enjoyed the "do something cool when your cooldown is available and then sit around and wait for it to come back up" specs.

Otherwise, Rage felt like a one trick pony montage spec that's there for people to get big, shiny numbers to put in their youtube pvp video/appease the people who only want to see a big number on their screen.

I don't get any of these arguments. I never have a moment when i'm not hitting a button (and i don't even have Vicious slash on my hot bar. When there is nothing else to hit i can always throw up some taunts, ravage or Chilling scream.

Funny also how Rage is branded a one trick pony when vengeance is all about gettning impale/force scream off.

I don't get any of these arguments. I never have a moment when i'm not hitting a button (and i don't even have Vicious slash on my hot bar. When there is nothing else to hit i can always throw up some taunts, ravage or Chilling scream.

Funny also how Rage is branded a one trick pony when vengeance is all about gettning impale/force scream off.

I don't really understand it myself. I guess because we have 1 move that stands out above the rest so people say that I guess. But I come to realize the vast majority of people who say that don't main our spec and most are vengeance spec juggs. I also noticed some who do play vengeance over rage makes them feel more pro or some nonsense so it makes them feel special. SOME anyways, but everyone has their own opinions on these things.

I'm veng. I've tried immort and rage... I didn't like them, especially immortal. I can see the solo appeal with rage, but I usually stick to a defense/guard role in pvp. I usually team up with my friend who is a sorc healer. He can usually walk away with 450k healing, my damage is usually in the 80k range if I remain in soresu the whole time. Only 200k if I'm switching forms. Always lead in protection and medals though. Almost always get the "ally is invincible for both my friend and myself. Usually only 0-3 deaths a match.

My whole strat is to orbit the healer and taunt groups off other people doing objectives. Huttball, I charge the group chasing the carrier, aoe taunt, throw guard on the carrier and then back off.

I do not feel that there is a bad spec. I just tried different builds until I found something that matched my play style in PVP and wasn't a complete drag in PVE.

If they ever created a pure team deathmatch style WZ to where the team one purely based on kills, most definitely rage... but for now, if all you are doing is bragging how you can 1v1 everyone... you are being useless to your team. You just spent 30 seconds wasting cooldowns on taking one person out of the equation that will be back in the WZ in the same amount of time that it took you to kill them.

When I tried the spec I ran out of rage very easily after the opening Saber Throw/Charge > Smash shenanigans. Not sure if I'm supposed to have Assault (which might as well be a zero damage global for Juggernaut) on my bar as Rage because Sundering Assault sure couldn't keep up and Enrage only works once a minute. I'm sure I'll try the spec again, especially now that the patch is live with various tweaks, but I'll likely do so on my Sentinel and not my Juggernaut.

Anyway, I initially tried it low 40s for a rather short period of time and it wasn't as effective for me as Vengeance was for questing so I didn't bother sticking it out in case I was missing something stupidly obvious. Might play different now that the character is at 50 but I doubt the feel of the spec will be all that different.

Force Crush is pretty sweet but the long cooldown was too much of a bummer, and I'll take Vengeance Force Scream over Rage's scream every day of the week. Higher crit damage for Rage doesn't matter when you're supposed to dump crit on your gear due to having auto crit smash.

I think people feel it is a one trick pony due to a little more setup for a big smash, and dont bother with anything else. I didnt play around with it alot myself, if I had Im sure I would have done better with the spec.

I did feel rage starved when trying rage, but 45ish levels of veng with free smash made me spoiled. Again, more practice would have solved that.

The other problem is, at least on my server, most of the rage jugs (and the jedi mirror, I forget the name of the tree) are bad. I force push their smash, then charge and they stand there befuddled with no clue what to do next. And that is a l2p problem on their part.