RAMDISK for SWTOR (increased performance)

Ocmer_

Long awaited update!

SWTOR Unleashed 3.1

http://www.metasharp.net/swtor/SwtorUnleashed_v3.1.zip

Changelog :

- added 2 links on the main screen to reach US and FR posts showing BioWare autorizations

- added a setup command line option (usefull if you want to setup SWTOR ramdrive each time you boot)

- added the possibility to turn ON and OFF the log directly in the settings screen!

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet another suggestion: When someone clicks on the SWTOR Unleashed button it can take 30+ seconds to launch the game due to the time it takes to create and format the RAM drive and copy files from the harddrive. For the impatient among us it may appear that the Unleased program is hung during this time. A simple "Loading..." dialog box with messages and a progress bar would go a long way towards a more polished and professional program. :cool:

I recently noticed a thread that dealt with CPU priorities and such with regard to SWTOR.EXE. Would it be possible to add something that would allow the game to launch with higher CPU priority settings?

v3.1 says "Autorized by Bioware" shouldn't that be "Authorized"? :)

Oops, will correct it when I'll work on 3.2.

I recently noticed a thread that dealt with CPU priorities and such with regard to SWTOR.EXE. Would it be possible to add something that would allow the game to launch with higher CPU priority settings?

No. Swtor Unleashed kills itself just after starting the launcher. And the launcher starts Swtor.exe. You see the problem. It's on purpose we don't keep swtor unleashed running. It helps keeping people trust. They could otherwise think we might try to keylog them or whatever. I prefer to cut straight those arguments. Swtor Unleashed dies when the launcher appears. I won't change a thing about that.

No. Swtor Unleashed kills itself just after starting the launcher. And the launcher starts Swtor.exe. You see the problem. It's on purpose we don't keep swtor unleashed running. It helps keeping people trust. They could otherwise think we might try to keylog them or whatever. I prefer to cut straight those arguments. Swtor Unleashed dies when the launcher appears. I won't change a thing about that.

Very wise approach, thanks for letting me know :)

Hi,

it would be great if the SWTOR Unleashed program would not remake and copy files to ramdisk after quitting the game. I believe it is creating anew entire ramdrive where checking if it exists and if has all necessary files could save some time on start up, what do you think?

Regards,

B1

PS. I do not mean restoring content between PC reboots.

Wow it works! Just went from 15ish fps to 25ish fps on the Fleet with 200+ people.

I added only the suggested most-used assets to the ramdisk:

DiskCacheArena

Local cache

swtor_main_art_fx.tor

swtor_main_art_dynamic_cape_1

swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_1

swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_tight_1

swtor_main_art_dynamic_hand_1

swtor_main_art_dynamic_head_1

swtor_main_art_dynamic_lower_1

swtor_main_art_dynamic_mags_1

swtor_main_art_weapon_1.tor

I wouldn't try this with less than 8gb of ram though.

My specs (nothing too fancy at all) with all graphics settings on highest at 1920x1080 (went from 15fps-25fps):

Core2 Q9400 2.66GHz

8GB DDR2

GTX 560

7,600 rpm HDD

Edited by Vraelan

Not at all; see, for example, how the player base has tinkered with Morrowind over the years, to great effect.

Not tinkered - modded; there is a DRASTIC DIFFERENCE. Charles Manson is more stable than this game and I find it abhorrent that we have to go through all these back-flips through fire just to get a sub-par game to work properly. But then again, I suppose if the devs actually knew what the hell they were doing, we, the gamers/modders who know more than the useless devs, wouldn't have to go out of our way to fix this mess. Great ramdisk program and those of you who worked on fixing the devs' debacle. You know, they should be paying you guys for fixing their crap or compensating you for your time involved. But, sorry to say, EA, i.e., "The Kiss of Death" would sooner sell their mother for a dollar than compensate you guys for your great work. Is it no wonder that EA was voted the very worst company in America???

Currently, I have an Intel Core PC with 6 GBs of ram, using a GT 430 2GB video card. I run the game at 1440x900 with everything set to high (bloom is off). I normally get 20-45 FPS with it averaging around 30 most of the time. When I installed Unleashed and tried to run the game using it, my FPS dropped down to about 15-20 max. What am I doing wrong? My performance is way better when I run it without using the program.

Currently, I have an Intel Core PC with 6 GBs of ram, using a GT 430 2GB video card. I run the game at 1440x900 with everything set to high (bloom is off). I normally get 20-45 FPS with it averaging around 30 most of the time. When I installed Unleashed and tried to run the game using it, my FPS dropped down to about 15-20 max. What am I doing wrong? My performance is way better when I run it without using the program.

The problem, most likely, is your page file. When you use SWTOR Unleashed (SU), you are consuming a fair portion of that 6GB...at least 1.4GB. This drops your usable memory to about 4GB...which TOR wants to use. Once you get below a certain amount of free memory, the OS starts swapping out to the page file. This can slow the machine down quite a bit.

I have 8GB on my system with the page file turned off. In order to not get the "low memory" warning, I can only use a 1.6GB RAM drive with SU. Hence, I can't put the Dynamic files up there. To use SU at its best, you need 12GB of RAM...which I will have on my next machine!

The problem, most likely, is your page file. When you use SWTOR Unleashed (SU), you are consuming a fair portion of that 6GB...at least 1.4GB. This drops your usable memory to about 4GB...which TOR wants to use. Once you get below a certain amount of free memory, the OS starts swapping out to the page file. This can slow the machine down quite a bit.

I have 8GB on my system with the page file turned off. In order to not get the "low memory" warning, I can only use a 1.6GB RAM drive with SU. Hence, I can't put the Dynamic files up there. To use SU at its best, you need 12GB of RAM...which I will have on my next machine!

Is there a way I can still benefit from the program (sorry, I'm not very techie)?

Is there a way I can still benefit from the program (sorry, I'm not very techie)?

The only thing that I think might work is having the DiskCacheArena (1GB) as the only thing on the RAMDrive. That will create a 1.074GB RAMDrive and Windows will take another 1GB leaving you about 4GB of memory to play with. However, once SWTOR runs, it will use 2GB, leaving about 2GB free...which will most likely (not positive) kick in the page file swapping. If you see a lot of hard drive activity when playing TOR using this configuration, then you most likely won't get any benefit from SU.

Edit: My wife has 4GB on her machine and I cannot use SU at all. The page file swapping time makes zoning very slow, and if I turn the page file off, she can't run SWTOR at all even if I use the bare minimum settings in SU.

Edited by Revod

Let me clarify this a bit.

If you run nearly no program on Windows while playing SWTOR (32bits executable, so it's capped at a 2GB RAM page), you just need to keep 2.5GB to 3GB of RAM for Windows + SWTOR. It is recommended to let the Windows SWAP file activated. It doesn't consume any RAM.

You can use the rest for SWTOR Unleashed. That is if you have...

4GB -> 1GB to 1.5GB max for SU (recommended : DCA + LA..... and possibly + FX .... give it a test = 1.3GB to 1.5GB)

6GB -> 3 to 3.5GB for SU (recommended DCA + LA + FX = 1.5GB .... possibly + a few DYN)

8GB -> 5 to 5.5GB for SU (recommended : DCA + LA + FX + DYN = 4.1GB)

Every other asset file might be added, but every one need to check it.

About loading times, you might get improvements but it's not that evident with a good SSD and CPU. However in game improvement is an obvious thing whatever your hardware if you keep 2.5GB to 3GB for windows and SWTOR.

Also please note that if you have any issue not being able to modify you UI while playing in SU mode... you can either uncheck LA in settings, or activate the logs and post here its content so we can try to figure out and fix your issue. I know a lot of people without any settings issue so you might have a very particular computer setup we may not have correctly taken into account. Logs help.

Edited by exca

For those of you speaking french I heavily updated the main french post to better answer all your questions. I can't update it here since I don't own those posts. And Ocmer_ seems gone or on holidays I don't know.

People are at false assumption that using Ramdisk will improve their framerate.

It will NOT.

It will improve loading times and reduce stuttering though.

It depends on their hardware and situation. It can improve their framerate based on how SWTOR engine works.

Loading times might get a little better but in my opinion it's not the main benefit.

Reducing framerate drops is the main advantage.

SWTOR Unleashed 3.1

http://www.metasharp.net/swtor/SwtorUnleashed_v3.1.zip

Edited by exca