Which in game mouse for PVP?

the_coaltrain

I placed this thread here as I know most PVPers use the mouse the most for responsiveness and often end up using more key stroke combinations than PVE.

I currently use a corded optical mouse (logitech) I believe. I like it fairly well. I have 2 side buttons, and standard scroll. I want a mouse with more thumb use side buttons, I prefer not to have a gaming mouse with the 7+ buttons counting half as the side to side scroller key or the buttons in middle behind scroll.

I have been reading up on the Razer Naga (12 key side) and the Razer Naga Hex (6 key side) but I have been reading lots of reviews of limited life span on these mice.

I was wanting some feedback on what gaming mice you pvpers use, lifespan, and pros/cons. Any help is appreciated.

I use a crap cordless mouse with an n52 gaming pad, works great for me.

I have used loads of gaming mice over the years, Razer Boomslang, Razer Deathadder, Roccat Kone etc etc and they all broke within a year. Had my n52 for something like 5 years now, best thing i ever bought for gaming.

I tried the naga (corded) and it was great for pvp, but pretty useless for other games and applications plus like all modern gaming mice, it feels flimsy and cheap :(

I have always wound up back with my old logitech cordless which is so old now i can't even tell you the model which is almost certainly not made anymore. 2 buttons, thats all i need :)

The swotor version of the Naga is a solid piece of equipment so far. I play with it corded and the battery pulled out and its not to heavy to use. Cant speak on the life of it cause i have only had it for 3 months or so.

I'm using an old Logitech as well, the G5 laser mouse which has been great for all the years I've had it. My only complaint towards the logitech mouse is that the Setpoint software doesn't work in conjunction with this game so I can't change my scroll left/right and speed up/down buttons.

I've never had anyone tell me their Naga mouse has died on them though, and I've gamed with a lot of people that use them. Maybe some of the reading you were doing was from people who believed the product was unreliable.

Customer reviews of products are often negative, for the simple fact that very few people will take the time to write a review on a product they like... but if they think something is a piece of junk most people are quick to complain.

The Naga has a lot of different models, I recommend it over any other gaming mouse. It has the exact functionality that you want out of a mouse (the extra side buttons). If you are concerned that it will break, I'm sure there's some kind of extended warranty you could buy from Razer to make sure you don't get stuck with a dud.

Razer products are all lottery tickets. Sometimes you'll get one perfectly constructed that'll last forever. Most of the time you're going to need to replace it within 6 months. Functionally, their products are solid, just poor quality control.

I use the Logitech G500. It's 8 buttons, but that's counting the scroll wheel rocking left/right but not the 3 function buttons (scroll locking/free, DPI up&down). Steelseries has a version of the Naga for WoW, I don't know if it will work outside of WoW though, and it's plastered with WoW graphics. Steelseries is one of the best mice manufacturers though, so if you can get past the looks, it is a solid mouse.

Edited by Apocalypse-

The naga had plenty of good reviews, just most of them you could tell the user had not had the item long before posting a reply. And many of the praises from long time users were dated so far back. Seems around 2007+ their QC got much worse.

I'm starting to lean toward this logitech G700. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/mice-keyboard-combos/devices/7244

I would go with Logitech over Razer any day of the week.

For one thing, the ergonomics of the Razer Naga are just stupid. For another thing, I've never owned a Razer mouse that didn't break within a year of very gentle use. I went through 4 of them in 2 years (I really wanted to like them, so I kept giving them more chances), and I treat my gear extremely well. I've had my Logitech for years, and it's still going strong. Either Razer mice are flimsy or they have very poor quality control.

I was intrigued by the Corsair M90 when I first heard about it. The ergonomics look nice.....but I heard that the software for it sucks. It's been a few months since I heard that, so it's possible that this has changed.

Based on my own personal experience, I'd choose Logitech over Razer. I'm still using my trusty old G5, and the only thing "wrong" with it is that it's so old now that some of the paint has worn off on one of the side buttons from repeated use. If it turns out that Corsair has fixed their driver issues, I might give them a chance, too, just because I really like the look of that mouse.

I'm using an old Logitech as well, the G5 laser mouse which has been great for all the years I've had it. My only complaint towards the logitech mouse is that the Setpoint software doesn't work in conjunction with this game so I can't change my scroll left/right and speed up/down buttons.

It works fine for me. What you have to do is go into your Task Manager in Windows and close out setpoint.exe. Then you have to run SetPoint again as Administrator (right click, select Run as Administrator). That's all there is to it. I have my right scroll bound to Kolto Probe, the "speed up" button bound to autorun, etc. I guarantee that it works just fine.

Edited by belialle

The naga had plenty of good reviews, just most of them you could tell the user had not had the item long before posting a reply. And many of the praises from long time users were dated so far back. Seems around 2007+ their QC got much worse.

I'm starting to lean toward this logitech G700. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/mice-keyboard-combos/devices/7244

I can recommend the G700.(Have it since christmas now). I had a naga before it and never looked back. The 4 thumb keys are amazing after you get used to it (haven't tried macroing so far- isnt really necessary for this game).

It lies great in the hand and most important for wireless mouses, if you need to charge it you can simply plug it in and use it as a wiremouse till its charged again.

Edited by Twor

I have had a corded Razer Naga for about 2 years now and have used it in both WOW and TOR and have loved it. It took about a week to get used to the 12 side buttons, but now I couldn't look back. I have had no issues with reliability and the mouse does not feel cheap or flimsy.

I have had a corded Razer Naga for about 2 years now and have used it in both WOW and TOR and have loved it. It took about a week to get used to the 12 side buttons, but now I couldn't look back. I have had no issues with reliability and the mouse does not feel cheap or flimsy.

100% agree with this. I have had mine for about the same time frame. Also, this mouse has 17 total buttons on it. The thumb buttons are great and to me, makes using the hot key abilities much smoother to use without having to keybind to something else.

Razor naga. trust me. it's not hard to learn. It comes with a bunch of little sticky pieces that u can put on specific numbers to help you learn placement. For example, put a sticky on 5 and 11, use for a week and you'll have it down. It makes life a lot easier in any MMO especially in PVP

That G700 looks absolutely awesome. I think I may have to go buy one of those. I've avoided switching from my G5 to a Naga because I really like the ergonomics that Logitech mice have. Edited by Nukor

raza naga all the way. the 12 side buttons are great for this game. your fingers will train to it faster than you think, and it comes w/ little rubber guides you can stick on the buttons however you like. i've had my naga for well over a year now, maybe 2, and i've never had any problems with it.

i always stay away from logitech products because they are junk and trash. i have never had one logitech product that worked for more than 6 months.

/Agreed.

I don't understand how people break these things. Are they punching their mouse instead of clicking it? Nerd Raging and throwing them against a wall or slamming them down on their desk/table? Crushing them to sand with their super-******* grips?

You can find a horrible review on any product, because there's always some one dumb enough to mistreat it and then insist breaking it was someone's fault other than their own. :rolleyes:

/Agreed.

I don't understand how people break these things. Are they punching their mouse instead of clicking it? Nerd Raging and throwing them against a wall or slamming them down on their desk/table? Crushing them to sand with their super-******* grips?

You can find a horrible review on any product, because there's always some one dumb enough to mistreat it and then insist breaking it was someone's fault other than their own. :rolleyes:

Yes I agree. I take the reviews with a grain on salt. Once I see a reoccuring pattern though I try to ask others with personal experience about it. The current mouse I have has taken some abuse but only from falling in the floor a few times from my current (temporary) setup. I'd say I am definitely narrowed down to Logitech G700 vs Razer Naga.

Thank you everyone for the constructive help so far.

^Sup man, old VR guildie here from SWG.

How are you people breaking your Razer mice?

I've had the DeathAdder for 2+ years now. **** doesn't even have a scratch on it.

And I've even used it to stop a home invasion...

Edited by Hachirowan

More support for the Razer Naga, here. I can't believe I've been playing MMOs without it for all these years.

Although not being able to stop lame design on the palm rest from glowing while retaining my refusal to install Razer's software makes me feel like a bit of a tool.

I am currently playing with the Razer Naga and I don't love it.

The feel of the mouse in my hand is awkward (its feels a little too small- the hand doesn't rest comfortably on it). Also the button layout is much too busy. I find that I can only use about 5 of the side buttons reliably. That said, I use a N52 for my left hand so I don't have to use all 12. When I look at the corsair mouse I think the button layout looks like the best I have seen, but I can't speak to the software for that mouse.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.