If people want open world pvp then why....?

Krenzik

... is nearly everyone on the Fatman server going to Ilum to just hang out and go into warzones. We get valor for combat on Ilum and it's certainly more fun than warzones.

Right now as I type this there's 20 people on Ilum. One of them is a guildmate who can't get anyone remotely interested in fighting any Pubs there.

I'm posing this question because the most fun I've had in pvp was open world on Ilum and on other worlds as well. Why Bioware has no interest in anything other than shuffling everyone into warzones is a separate issue, I'm looking for fellow player feedback on why they either don't go to Ilum, or they choose to go, but just hang out and wait for the warzone queue. I'd like to see some Republic player perspectives too.

Ilum was not working as intended, so they went back to the drawing board. So Ilum was downgraded until a final fix for that area is made.

Actually if you read my original post, the question is about why *players* don't want to engage in open combat on Ilum and decide to just hang out in warzones. Once again, Bioware's pvp gameplan itself is a separate issue.

When people think of open world, I don't think they literally mean a separate world. Illum is a warzone that you don't queue for, is laggy when there is a decent amount of people, and turns into a Zerg fest. A lot of people want real objectives to work for with rewards. Such as capturing a resource or base.

When people think of open world, I don't think they literally mean a separate world. Illum is a warzone that you don't queue for, is laggy when there is a decent amount of people, and turns into a Zerg fest. A lot of people want real objectives to work for with rewards. Such as capturing a resource or base.

I see what your'e saying there. PvP always means a little more with an objective your faction can get and I can get behind this notion. Plus the lag is an issue too. I don't get hit with lag that much on my connection, but if I do it's on Ilum. It's a bummer because I think if people said "FTW" I want open combat without carebear killtrades, etc. and showed it by engaging in combat on Ilum, the current trend of Bioware wanting to funnel all pvp into warzones only could change sooner and for the better.

Plus, everyone can get their weeklies and dailies done a lot faster than grinding out in warzones-- if more people use the feature.

I do agree about the lag issues just when it starts to get good.

Ilum is more fun i agree. I love hunting Pubes and jumping them. The only problem is that there are hardly any Pubes on Ilum because they just get swarmed by Imps on my server (Assuming it's that way on your server). If more enemies were on ilum i wouldnt just spend time there for dailies

When I said lag I should have said FPS. It's absolutely not fun for me to watch a PowerPoint presentation and occasionally pull someone out of the mass to get ganked.

The most fun open world pvp was twice while leveling. I ran into a sage on belsavis I think. A few levels above me and doing a mission. The second time was stealth jumping a gunslinger in the middle of a pub base in alderaan. The way the worlds are designed, it's almost impossible to get in these situations.

Ilum is more fun i agree. I love hunting Pubes and jumping them. The only problem is that there are hardly any Pubes on Ilum because they just get swarmed by Imps on my server (Assuming it's that way on your server). If more enemies were on ilum i wouldnt just spend time there for dailies

The situation on Fatman's an odd one. There are more Imps definitely than Pubs, but it's the Imps that have no apparent interest in throwing down with the enemy planetside. Granted, the Republic players aren't exactly running thick as buffalo, but usually you can find a dozen or a few more looking for some violence. The Imps basically don't want to engage.

There is a huge difference between fighting to farm valor points or dailys. And fighting for the prosparity and survival of your faction. People that are asking for BW to reintroduce Open World pvp are asking for design changes that happend pre launch to be looked at. Stuff happend and BioWare had to nix open world pvp systems. What launched was a temp solution since they messed stuff up during beta and broke open world. Its still not anywhere near to being fixed yet. But they had to go ahead and launch so they put in a temp solution for Ilum and pretty much turned off the open world system for the rest of the galaxy.

Some little bits are coming with 1.2 and they will keep working on it.

The reason I and my guild hang on Ilum is to pick up the buffs for when the WZ queues pop.

The situation on Fatman's an odd one. There are more Imps definitely than Pubs, but it's the Imps that have no apparent interest in throwing down with the enemy planetside. Granted, the Republic players aren't exactly running thick as buffalo, but usually you can find a dozen or a few more looking for some violence. The Imps basically don't want to engage.

They are waiting until they have overwhelming numbers, once that happens then they are all hardcore.

They are waiting until they have overwhelming numbers, once that happens then they are all hardcore.

Actually, the Imps could have those imposing numbers if they'd go to Ilum period and the people there would do more than just hang out for warzones. Thing is the Pubs seem to want it planetside more than the Imps do, and they experience the same issues with fps, lag, etc.

I was wondering why no one wants to go to Ilum after patch. You can still get daily done and valor is great with the zerging. I guess my server pop is dying that could it also.

Right on. Fatman, however is showing heavy traffic even late on weeknights at times, so there I'm not so sure a general lack of population is the problem.

On Swiftsure, there has been an increase in the number of Imperial who only use ilum for the valor bonus in WZs.

When there is a full OPs group, you can bet half will run at the 1st sign of a republic force, or hang so far back from the action they are useless.

Many imperial refuse invites and rather run solo.

However, every once in awhile, like this morning, you get a solid group of 4-6 Imperials. A group of fearless and rugged individuals who will dive into the deep end of the pool. Then you sometimes have a similar group of Republic scum, and the action is intense. I stayed on ilum a good hour past the point of having finished both the daily and weekly armament missions because it was epic fun.

Enjoy these brief moments while you can. Group up on ilum while you can.

Actually if you read my original post, the question is about why *players* don't want to engage in open combat on Ilum and decide to just hang out in warzones. Once again, Bioware's pvp gameplan itself is a separate issue.

The best world PvP occurs in two scenarios: With a real, global impact say relics in DAoC or darkness falls. And in the second scenario when doing something else, be it gathering resources, questing, grinding what have you - doing something else and it occurs spontaneously.

Ilum is neither of those things, it's a big warzone that you fly to instead of queue for and it's terrible.

One thing I have noticed is there are MANY people coming to the forums asking for Objective based PvP. I have no problem with that, as that is what I actually try to do in the Warzones. However, there is the what seems like majority of people in these Warzones that don't go for the objectives. They go off on their own, thinking that just because they got 8 or 9 medals they are "elite", so BW made only the first 4 worth anything. They still chase those stupid medals. How about we just take the medals out? Sure, show the end of match stats and all, but make valor/exp/credit gain based solely off of the outcome of the match. In order to keep people queueing, give the loser SOMETHING. Not saying to cut them out completely, but until people actually attempt to complete the objectives in WZs, why would BW waste time on open world objectives that will be ignored just to take 15 of your closest friends and go gank a lone person on a speeder?

... is nearly everyone on the Fatman server going to Ilum to just hang out and go into warzones. We get valor for combat on Ilum and it's certainly more fun than warzones.

Right now as I type this there's 20 people on Ilum. One of them is a guildmate who can't get anyone remotely interested in fighting any Pubs there.

I'm posing this question because the most fun I've had in pvp was open world on Ilum and on other worlds as well. Why Bioware has no interest in anything other than shuffling everyone into warzones is a separate issue, I'm looking for fellow player feedback on why they either don't go to Ilum, or they choose to go, but just hang out and wait for the warzone queue. I'd like to see some Republic player perspectives too.

My guild <Fight> not only trys to engage in open world pvp on Illum, we try everywhere on the fatman server. Imps seem to just be lacking in intestinal fortitude, they like to sit unflagged and laugh at people.

I think the reason why it seems like "everyone" wants open world pvp is because the leveling experience didn't offer enough of it. The truth about open world pvp (in general) is that it's a zerg-fest for the most part and not very competitive.

I agree that it is a shame more people aren't using Ilum to get some RvR action in... but with all the complaints about Ilum that there's been since launch, I'm not surprised that even the populated servers aren't using it for open pvp right now.

You should try to get a couple of guilds together to go fight each other, even 4v4 there can be a lot of fun when you're playing for the objectives. If other players see a couple groups of people having fun then they will want to join you all and before you know you'll have an awesome zerg-fest on your hands :)