why do people think that finding a guild would resolve the "community problem"?

YouYongku

Guilds in 1997 were a tool to help create a social experience

Guilds in 2012 are a self contained enclosed and closed off group of hyper snobs who all think the guild tag makes them better then the non guilded player.

There were bad guilds in 1997 and good guilds in 1997.

There are bad guilds in 2012 and good guilds in 2012.

In both cases, many probably disagree(d) as to which were which.

Even you can find a guild, if you are not well equipped (with 18k HP and above), you will get a special treatment from your members.

Since the members here always reference WOW, I shall too.

When you join their guild, they'll ask you to get to max level to play with them.

When you hit the max level, they'll ask you to quickly get your item level higher to play heroics together.

When you reach the item level, they'll ask you to quickly be fully equipped with all the heroics item before they play with you.

And when you do, they tell you that you have no raiding experience with them, go get some :cool:

Similarly here, very seldom would the guildies wanna play with you if your HP is not their desired amount.

Ninjas and angsty people will cease to exist regardless of any game and generation.

These types of guilds are the reason some people hate on guilds so much. Our guild (which is recruiting btw...:D) does the opposite. we are patient with members who are not endgame so they can enjoy the story and game like we did, We help new 50's get their item level so they can enjoy heroics like we do, we help them get better gear so they can enjoy HM's like we do, and if they don't have raiding experience, we tell them "well, let’s go get you some." Now granted, if you are not at a certian level, you will not be going on the more difficult missions, but that does not mean you will not be doing any missions with us. On the PvP side, if you don't have the gear or skill in WZ's, well you will have to get your *** kicked on a regular basis like we did:D, BUT you will have some of us there with you to ease the pain and help you get those "Wins" for dailies. Yes, some people don't want to "waste time" going through the same heroics, FPs, and OPS to help new guildies, but if anyone hates doing the same ole boring, repetitive quests, this game is not for you (don't even want to talk about how many times i have done certian FPs,,,,i can walk through Esseles with a blindfold:D). I thought guilds were a place to be social, help out each other, and, most importantly IMO, to have fun and enjoy the game as much as possible. Some people tend to forget that at one time THEY were under-geared and didn't have the raid experiance. Under-geared and little MMO experience does not make a bad guild member, bad attitude and eliteist mentality does, and therefore making a bad guild.

in every mmo i have played and raided in most of the top end raiding guilds are a collection of selfish elitist who are only in it for the loot and bragging rights. for many they just come together several nights a week for a common purpose. outside of that they dont play with others in guild outside of thier little clicks. most have to pug alts. this has spanned 4 mmos over 10 years. such guilds do nothing for the community.

these are the people you want to avoid.

what you want are people, like yourself, who plays regularly, has the patience to help others and enjoys grouping/interacting with each other. there are alot of good family/social/casual guilds out there with nice people who likes to do end game content together and are willing to teach new players. sadly most dont advertise and those that do in channel you kinda wonder about these days. make sure you ask alot of questions if you do respond. a large member base doesnt equate a quality guild either.

in every mmo i have played and raided in most of the top end raiding guilds are a collection of selfish elitist who are only in it for the loot and bragging rights. for many they just come together several nights a week for a common purpose. outside of that they dont play with others in guild outside of thier little clicks. most have to pug alts. this has spanned 4 mmos over 10 years. such guilds do nothing for the community.

these are the people you want to avoid.

what you want are people, like yourself, who plays regularly, has the patience to help others and enjoys grouping/interacting with each other. there are alot of good family/social/casual guilds out there with nice people who likes to do end game content together and are willing to teach new players. sadly most dont advertise and those that do in channel you kinda wonder about these days. make sure you ask alot of questions if you do respond. a large member base doesnt equate a quality guild either.

This guy, ladeis and gents, has it.

I've been in two guilds, after turning down multiple requests to join others - while at or around Level 30. Haven't been hastled to level-up or join in raids.

Joined one guild member who asked for help in a heroic mission. My wife and I jumped in to help, we finished the mission, and the other guild member took off.

IMO, that's the one strength of a guild - if you do need help, if members are around you can solicit their help for a mission and then move on.

Edited by GreySix

There are some very helpfull guilds out there who are more relaxed to gear.

A level 1 player who has played the game for 1 hour is as equally welcome as a hardcore raider cl50 with us. We have had this attitude since forming in 2005.

We also tell players to enjoy the storyline, one of Tors strength and we do not put pressure on them to level. We run weekly flashpoints runs, and any member, any level can attend. We form groups based on the levels of those players attending and will run any flashpoints they can do so not 1 player is left out. We also help out on class quests and heroics if members have issues forming groups in general chat and our crafting help was legendry in SWG and we are continuing here with players helping each other with needs.

We realise people have real lifes, work, college, wifes, family, kids, so we dont put any pressure on members as after all this is a game and should be enjoyed.

Having this attitude has served us well since 2005. We were the servers main guild back in Star Wars Galaxies for years, one other guilds recommended to newer/returning members and we have brought this attitude and principles to Tor and its serving us well here with both our republic and imperial sides of the guild having 10-25 members online at most times of the day and a lovely, active guild chat and banter in teamspeak.

Ziso

http://unity-guild.com/

So for us, gear is secondary to the players enjoyment of the game

Edited by Ziso

Even you can find a guild, if you are not well equipped (with 18k HP and above), you will get a special treatment from your members.

When you join their guild, they'll ask you to get to max level to play with them.

When you hit the max level, they'll ask you to quickly get your item level higher to play heroics together.

When you reach the item level, they'll ask you to quickly be fully equipped with all the heroics item before they play with you.

And when you do, they tell you that you have no raiding experience with them, go get some :cool:

Similarly here, very seldom would the guildies wanna play with you if your HP is not their desired amount.

Ninjas and angsty people will cease to exist regardless of any game and generation.

I've been a main tank, raid leader, guild officer in every game I've played and I've never seen these types of issues occure in anything other then a hard core raiding guild or a guild full of immature kids (the "leet" types that people often describe).

We are a casual raiding guild (we take our raids seriously, but it is not the be all end all). Currently, we ask for two things when people join our guild: Maturity and Character. If they need gear, we can help them get it. If they are behind in raiding, we drag them through to get geared up to us. If they are willing to learn to raid, we will teach them. If they don't want to raid, they are still welcomed as non-raiders.

Our issue is that, rather then guilds being hard to find, we seem to be experiencing a shortage of players to recruit.

Edited by Blackardin

Other people may have different experiences, however..

When I hit 50 I was pvping. No thought prior to hitting 50, so I was in orange non daily modded gear. Bad idea. Got picked up by a guild that was clearing Norms and working on HM's in 2 ops. First week, I was in 3/5 Columi and a week later all I have left to replace is my chest and boots for columi. THat means off set pieces acquired

We had 4 Ops groups running at one point.

When I started raiding, I had under 13.5k hp raid buffed. We went through both EV and KP Norm with no problems, not even council. These people were not in full rakata bull******** away.

And on another note; not even in WoW did I have an experience anywhere near the one you described. Hit cap, joined a raiding guild, ran heroics and got raid ready within 2 weeks and was in full PVE gear on 3 different characters.

Edited by Kotlx