Why does everybody want to REVERSE ENGINEER?

cheezehustla

I RE items to get other stats cause not everything leads to Orange and some of the lower stuff you only want maybe a Blue or Purple to help a lower level friend/guildmate. I know I have crafted lower level items for starters on the station/planet to help them get started, but with 1.2 I might not as newer toons may be of legacy now.

1. Buy orange shematic

2. craft it till you crit with augment slot

3. ???

4. profit?

Whats the point in Reverse engineering anything (except for the cosmetic hipsters)?

You're probably right. Reverse engineering equipment that has craftable orange versions that go in the same slot will quite likely become pointless once 1.2 hits.

However the same will not be true of reverse engineering mods and items that don't have orange replacements.

Which is one of the reasons this patch would have sucked for armstech/armormech/synthweaving if they didn't toss them augments. (and even then, I still suspect it's gonna suck for synthweaving, as it seems they get the lower quality augments)

because there are no orange schematics for Gloves, Bracer, Belt, Color Crystals, Barrels, Mods, and about 20 other items.

especially in the lvl 1-47 range.

OP was not specific to what he was referring to.

Edited by Holinyx

Plus, can't speak for 1.2, or endgame mods and such, but the stats you can get on purple gear right now, at least before 50, can sometimes far outstrip the total of the mods you can put in orange gear.

For example, Fervor Militia Jacket, level 39 medium armor;

38 endurance

43 cunning

45 accuracy

53 critical rating

Now, that's one proc in the critical tree, I don't know the stats on other procs, but whether or not you find accuracy useful, I don't think it would be possible at 39 to mod an orange to match those stats.

During leveling, purple crafted gear is about as good as anything you can get, and it's easier to acquire than looking for mods for an orange item.

Also, only weapons can currently result in augmented orange schematics, and they all require raid mats.

There's good reasons you would RE & one is cost.

It's a lot cheaper to create a single non-moddable purple chest, than to create a orange & then the mods to make it superior to that purple chest.

At least as far as materials go, sure it takes a few RE to get a Purple armor slot item, but it takes much more to go craft all the mods for a moddable, this is less relevant at endgame but if for example you are levelling a bunch of alts it pays off to not put them (or indeed their companion) all in moddables, in fact even regular Blues are plenty good enough most of the time.

Personally I RE so that I can have the schematics to make it when I want. This way I'll always have stuff to equip my new toons with, or at least the ability to make that stuff. Instead of me trying to buy or loot equipment for my alts. like right now for any force user I have purple stuff for (gloves, boots, belts, some head gear, bracers) all the way up to about lvl 31, and the same for strength users and aim users. Took me a while to get those things but useufull now that i've got it. Plus if i've got enough mats around I'll try to crit it for an augment slot. It's making a huge difference lvling my new toons they're lvling so much quicker now and boss' and heroics are much easier

Not to mention having all those purple schematics available is a good way to make money on the GTN, from others who don't have your crafting skill but want to level their alts in the best possible gear without mod-hunting.

During leveling, purple crafted gear is about as good as anything you can get, and it's easier to acquire than looking for mods for an orange item.

Actually just REing my green recipes into blue gave me perfectly fine armor for my trooper (and companion). If I had a surplus of resources, I might go for purple, but usually didn't bother. Blue armor was better than anything that would drop from quests -- I usually used my quest rewards for weapon mods or artifact boxes.

Personally, I would love to RE ALL my orange gear for my Shadow Synthweaver and get Schematics. Its light Will based stuff, so he can wear it. Then I could clear out the 5 sets I have in my bank and make a different set when I am in the mood for a change. If the gear was Bind to Account, I would take some of the other gear and have an alt RE for me and craft when I felt like a change. Schematics take up no space after you learn them.

Also, only weapons can currently result in augmented orange schematics, and they all require raid mats.

you dont need to go raiding for mats space missions got them now :)...http://feature.mmosite.com/swtor/1.2_endgame_crafting_mats_and_space_missions.shtml

Edited by ninjashadowdark

you dont need to go raiding for mats space missions got them now :)...http://feature.mmosite.com/swtor/1.2_endgame_crafting_mats_and_space_missions.shtml

gah. BW really wants to force this space on rails down people's throats don't they.. :(

While I appreciate an alternate way to get the rare mats, why must it be space?? Oh, and did I mention how much I hate mindless grinding....

Some of us just love crafting and are driven to learn every avaailable schematic out there...it's more of a curse than love really...

... My name is Trotheus, and I'm a schematoholic.

Yeah, when I think of the time I've wasted being this OCD in MMOs... =(

Edited by Trotheus

1. Buy orange shematic

2. craft it till you crit with augment slot

3. ???

4. profit?

Whats the point in Reverse engineering anything (except for the cosmetic hipsters)?

Um... cause maybe you cant crit craft orange armor til 1.2? The only crittable orange weapons need 3 of those endgame pve mats so less try to crit those.

this. its far easier to craft a single purple that will outpace any mod you can get from comms for at least 4-5 levels. add an augment and that could be 10 levels. as an example, for a purple cloth chest for my sage, I would have to level 3 crafts to get the same results from an orange:

primary craft that creates the armor/weapon orange schematic

cybertech to get the purple mods (specifically armor and mod)

Artifice for hilt and enhancement.

And if it's a non force weapon im leveling, I'd need armstech to make the barrels.

and you'd have to have the materials for 3-4 mods per item, whereas with my basic purple I need the mats for one. and again, comms can only give you blue mods (and they're itemization is usually horrible unless your a tank).

so RE is really the optimal way to gear your toon as you level. even if your going mods, RE to purple mods is the way to go. even if you only stick with blue mods, your still going to do better then comm rewards, as you can actually pick the stat bonuses on the mods you make. Comm mods usually have tons of wasted endurance, and your primary stat is low.

The problem with Reverse Engineering is that until 1.2 goes live, it just takes too many RE'ing to get from green to blue, i dread to think what it would take to go from blue to purple....on a single mod or piece of armor.

Also, when you have full on orange quality gear, no amount of questing will get you enough commendations to get mods for everything, at level 50, sure, since you never level up and have to replace them once you get them, but as you are leveling up, orange gear is just too expensive to keep updated unless you have a friend that loves to craft and you just ask them to make you stuff.

So far, the only crafters i have seen just want to make items that net them the highest profit gain, everything else is trash and is not crafted once they have maxed out their skill.

Once crafters get off their butts and do something, this is how it will always be.

The problem with Reverse Engineering is that until 1.2 goes live, it just takes too many RE'ing to get from green to blue, i dread to think what it would take to go from blue to purple....on a single mod or piece of armor.

Also, when you have full on orange quality gear, no amount of questing will get you enough commendations to get mods for everything, at level 50, sure, since you never level up and have to replace them once you get them, but as you are leveling up, orange gear is just too expensive to keep updated unless you have a friend that loves to craft and you just ask them to make you stuff.

So far, the only crafters i have seen just want to make items that net them the highest profit gain, everything else is trash and is not crafted once they have maxed out their skill.

Once crafters get off their butts and do something, this is how it will always be.

I think it depends. personally, i have tons of alts. my synthweave has been used alot. leveling a new sage, and her synthweave has netted her 4 purples to wear so far, just hit lvl 21. my chestpiece I got the purple pattern for after 3 RE's of the blue version.

Of course, trying to get a different secondary stat has not yielded a purple yet after 10 tries. I agree...the percentage needs to go up. good news is 1.2 is very close...either this week or next. problem solved.

Edited by Elyx

I admit: I am guilty of this. I am a "build on request" kind of guy. If someone asks me to, I will craft it for them. But otherwise, nobody bothers with the weaker stuff. So yeah, I'll do what makes me money.

PS: I'm a Biochemist. I should clarify that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.