No Cross Realm LFG tool please!

MUFanatic

How would LFG tool destroy a community?
It doesn't...

It's just a meaningless phrase that people use because they can't come up with a real argument against it. The reason that you don't get the logic behind it is that there isn't any logic behind it.

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This argument always come up. Saying that using a cross server LFG is "giving away free loot". Why is it free? I'm completing the flashpoint/raid just like you and your guild are doing. Why is it a bad thing for me to get the same rewards? Also, I like playing with players who want to finish FPs as fast as possible. Do you and your guildies go in to smell the flowers? I used the dungeon finder hundreds of times on WoW once it came out. I had one bad experience with one group. That one had a douchebag in it. The rest were fine, even if we couldn't complete the dungeon a couple times. Before the DF, I had many more bad experiences which were made even worse because it took an hour or two to get a group together.

I want a cross server LFG tool. I want to play flashpoints and see all the content without having to join a guild or make new "friends". The social aspect of MMOs is vastly over rated as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who remembers Barrens Chat from WoW knows that MMO communities are usually filled with people you don't really want to know in the first place.

I agree. Those who donot want to use it and want to do the more challenging content with higher rewards allways have hardmodes or Nightmare modes to do. No need to punish the players who use it to do normal Flashpoints, heroics or Operations even.

This argument always come up. Saying that using a cross server LFG is "giving away free loot". Why is it free? I'm completing the flashpoint/raid just like you and your guild are doing. Why is it a bad thing for me to get the same rewards? Also, I like playing with players who want to finish FPs as fast as possible. Do you and your guildies go in to smell the flowers? I used the dungeon finder hundreds of times on WoW once it came out. I had one bad experience with one group. That one had a douchebag in it. The rest were fine, even if we couldn't complete the dungeon a couple times. Before the DF, I had many more bad experiences which were made even worse because it took an hour or two to get a group together.

I want a cross server LFG tool. I want to play flashpoints and see all the content without having to join a guild or make new "friends". The social aspect of MMOs is vastly over rated as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who remembers Barrens Chat from WoW knows that MMO communities are usually filled with people you don't really want to know in the first place.

Buddy, I want cross-server LFG as well! All I'm doing is coming up with ideas it can be implimented with minimal grief to those who don't like the idea.

That's why I'm saying they shouldn't change the rewards you currently get for completing a Flashpoint.

As for running a dungeon quickly, we don't stop around to look at everything, however I think everyone has had that experience where they really wanted to down an optional boss/kill a mob for a quest but the Tank or others just wanted to speed through the instance to get their badges at the end.

Therefore if there's no extra awards at the end, other than the XP and Credits from Missions that you get currently, then there's less chance that people will want to speed their way through at the expense of others enjoyment.

Buddy, I want cross-server LFG as well! All I'm doing is coming up with ideas it can be implimented with minimal grief to those who don't like the idea.

That's why I'm saying they shouldn't change the rewards you currently get for completing a Flashpoint.

As for running a dungeon quickly, we don't stop around to look at everything, however I think everyone has had that experience where they really wanted to down an optional boss/kill a mob for a quest but the Tank or others just wanted to speed through the instance to get their badges at the end.

Therefore if there's no extra awards at the end, other than the XP and Credits from Missions that you get currently, then there's less chance that people will want to speed their way through at the expense of others enjoyment.

Except there's already a built-in reward for finishing flashpoints. Mission terminals in the Supplies sector of the fleet stations give them out. It is unlikely that BW will strip the ability to receive this reward from LFG tool users. They're creating the LFG tool so people have a chance to get groups and get the rewards that grouping offers.

Except there's already a built-in reward for finishing flashpoints. Mission terminals in the Supplies sector of the fleet stations give them out. It is unlikely that BW will strip the ability to receive this reward from LFG tool users. They're creating the LFG tool so people have a chance to get groups and get the rewards that grouping offers.

That's my point. I hope they keep the current rewards for completing a Flashpoint and don't add extras like in WoW. I'll be honest, as much as I think the LFG system is good, there was a problem with it rewarding tokens for using it. Meaning that, like I said, a lot of people were only interested in quickly finishing to get theirs, and people could buy good gear and get into the higher dungeons and raids without having actually experienced much to understand their class.

Though that's a bit of a tangent.

That's my point. I hope they keep the current rewards for completing a Flashpoint and don't add extras like in WoW.
That doesn't make any sense...

The current reward for completing a flashpoint in swtor is already the same as the reward for completing a dungeon in wow through the lfd... You get tokens for gear.

people in swtor are already skipping bosses because they are only interested in quickly finishing to get their daily reward.

people in swtor can buy good gear and get into the higher dungeons and raids without having actually experienced much to understand their class.

Edited by ferroz

That's my point. I hope they keep the current rewards for completing a Flashpoint and don't add extras like in WoW. I'll be honest, as much as I think the LFG system is good, there was a problem with it rewarding tokens for using it. Meaning that, like I said, a lot of people were only interested in quickly finishing to get theirs, and people could buy good gear and get into the higher dungeons and raids without having actually experienced much to understand their class.

Though that's a bit of a tangent.

I guess the flip-side to no rewards is lower usage. People would use LFG just to get the rewards. Without the rewards, fewer people would probably have used it and queues would be longer.

I think WoW added rewards after the initial implementation. I know they added the tank and healer specific rewards after the initial implementation. Hopefully we won't need the same incentives here. Tanking isn't nearly as challenging in this game as it was in WoW...

I heard that BW will be improving the current LFG system, but have not found any detailed information on what sort of improvement will be made. Any nerds out there have a link or additional information on what will be changed if any in 1.2?

Thanks,

That doesn't make any sense...

The current reward for completing a flashpoint in swtor is already the same as the reward for completing a dungeon in wow through the lfd... You get tokens for gear.

people in swtor are already skipping bosses because they are only interested in quickly finishing to get their daily reward.

people in swtor can buy good gear and get into the higher dungeons and raids without having actually experienced much to understand their class.

Actually that's true with the commendations, hadn't realise that. Ok back to the drawing board.

i think its important to have a LFG for the following reason

1 - You can leave the imp or rep fleet and go do other things while a group is being assembled

2 - You dont have to wait around at the fleet watching spam in the general channel of people trying to find groups

3 - It removes a large chunk of elitism from the game, games are meant to be fun, there is nothing fun about some upstart kicking you out of the group and then publicly broadcasting that dont play with this guy because his gear is not up to scratch. Ive seen that happen to too many players.

Agree with 1 & 2:

Cross server LFG tool/PVP is bad. I saw what it did to WoW and didn't like it. No need for Friends lists or worrying about your rep, just get random group 4674574 together and git 'er done. If random healer #691 sucks kick them and get another. Feel like ninjaing that item for your companion? No problem, cause if your rep is crap it don't matter cause to everyone else your just random body #12345 and they'll likely never see you again or you them.

Basically it leads to or intensifies the G.I.F.T.

Edited by Evangelist

Agree with 1 & 2:

Cross server LFG tool/PVP is bad. I saw what it did to WoW and didn't like it. No need for Friends lists or worrying about your rep, just get random group 4674574 together and git 'er done. If random healer #691 sucks kick them and get another. Feel like ninjaing that item for your companion? No problem, cause if your rep is crap it don't matter cause to everyone else your just random body #12345 and they'll likely never see you again or you them.

Except this happens today without any LFG tool. I was just in an instance this weekend in which the group leader rolled need on everything, just because he could.

You say that it affects reputation. In order for that to happen, I would have to use some amount of my time to publicize this douchebag's douchebaggery and probably spend an equal or greater amount of time defending my own reputation because it's really he said vs. he said. Where is the benefit in any of that?

LFG doesn't cause this bad behavior. Bad players do, and they'll do it with or without an LFG tool.

The thing that (hopefully) LFG does for us is give us a vote-kick feature so the 3 of us who don't like ninja-looters can kick him out. Because now, since he was the group leader, our only option was to drop group.

Except this happens today without any LFG tool. I was just in an instance this weekend in which the group leader rolled need on everything, just because he could.

You say that it affects reputation. In order for that to happen, I would have to use some amount of my time to publicize this douchebag's douchebaggery and probably spend an equal or greater amount of time defending my own reputation because it's really he said vs. he said. Where is the benefit in any of that?

LFG doesn't cause this bad behavior. Bad players do, and they'll do it with or without an LFG tool.

The thing that (hopefully) LFG does for us is give us a vote-kick feature so the 3 of us who don't like ninja-looters can kick him out. Because now, since he was the group leader, our only option was to drop group.

Some guy Ninja'ed some stuff for his companion off of me in a flashpoint run so I dropped group immediately cause he was being a dick about it. Later I found him in the fleet looking for more, I sent a whisper to someone asking for him an invite saying he's a ninja. The response I got was "Thanks, but it's hard enough finding a group that I'll risk it". Yeah server reputation means nothing.

Edited by Touchbass

Agree with 1 & 2:

The big distinction I would make is that when the cross server lfg tool launched in WoW there was actually a community to destroy (I won't deny it ruined any last remnants of a sense of community on my server). In SWTOR the community is already gone, so, there is not risk of destroying it. All that is left are small pockets of survivors holding on for dear life that something will happen to breathe life back into their servers. Without a cross server LFG tool those people are stranded and stuck with the difficult task of trying to find people to group with just so they can see content.

Once again the "it already happens" excuse. Because a completely random tool that matches you up with players you'll never see again wont make it any worse. Lets all just give the scum of not only our server but a group of servers even MORE incentive to treat others like crap.

Xserver and Recount supporters need to get over that excuse already. Its completely irrational. Just because there are bad players now doesnt mean its ok to /shrug and give them the tools to be better at it and do it more often.

You honestly think the reason why we dont want x-server is elitism.

Even BW stated the reasons why they didnt want it in the first place. It has been stated many times in this thread and many others what x-server does. There is plus sides, which has been stated in here. and there is downsides. If community doesnt mean anything to you. so be it. Just dont go making up your own reasons up due to not understanding what an MMO is and does. Like i say, if this means nothing to you. so be it. just dont go making stuff up. kids do this to get what they want. unless the boot fits.

I like that you always resort to the kids insult; usually means you are a kid yourself (which I most assuredly am not), but unlike you, I'm not going to generalize you based on a couple foolish comments. At least you are consistent.

MMO means Massively Multiplayer Online. Where exactly does the word "Community" come into that, except in your own broad interpretation of what an MMO is.

You want to know where I came up with my opinion? Why is it every time someone says that a cross server looking for group tool destroys a community they follow it up with "because we cannot blacklist people we think suck" (I'm paraphrasing, of course). Can you answer that?

I stand by my reasoning. Community builders want to be able to control the play of others so they remain top dogs, with their boot lickers a close second, and the rest of the playerbase kept firmly in check by their black lists and whatnot.

I'm certain that because I disagree with you, I'll be labeled a kid yet again. Seriously, get over yourself.

Edited by Jederix

Once again the "it already happens" excuse. Because a completely random tool that matches you up with players you'll never see again wont make it any worse. Lets all just give the scum of not only our server but a group of servers even MORE incentive to treat others like crap.

Xserver and Recount supporters need to get over that excuse already. Its completely irrational. Just because there are bad players now doesnt mean its ok to /shrug and give them the tools to be better at it and do it more often.

No... it's not an excuse. It's a point.

The problem happens now anyway, and problems happen very often. The tool won't increase the frequency (percentage of runs) in which the problem appears.

What the tool WILL do is get us into groups more quickly and with less frustration than spamming LFG messages into General chat.

What the tool MIGHT do is reduce the frequency of douchebaggery. Today a group leader is god in the group and can misbehave to his heart's content. With a tool, the douchebag can be kicked out and replaced with (hopefully) a better player.

I see 2 benefits and no drawbacks to the tool.

Show me a legitimate drawback that's more specific than "it destroys the community". Go deeper. Give specific examples.

I like that you always resort to the kids insult; usually means you are a kid yourself (which I most assuredly am not), but unlike you, I'm not going to generalize you based on a couple foolish comments. At least you are consistent.

MMO means Massively Multiplayer Online. Where exactly does the word "Community" come into that, except in your own broad interpretation of what an MMO is.

You want to know where I came up with my opinion? Why is it every time someone says that a cross server looking for group tool destroys a community they follow it up with "because we cannot blacklist people we think suck" (I'm paraphrasing, of course). Can you answer that?

I stand by my reasoning. Community builders want to be able to control the play of others so they remain top dogs, with their boot lickers a close second, and the rest of the playerbase kept firmly in check by their black lists and whatnot.

I'm certain that because I disagree with you, I'll be labeled a kid yet again. Seriously, get over yourself.

How about you get over yourself? Making grandiose claims about someone else's intentions you've never met in your entire life either online or in real life? Seriously.

Edited by terminova

The problem happens now anyway, and problems happen very often. The tool won't increase the frequency (percentage of runs) in which the problem appears.

What the tool WILL do is get us into groups more quickly and with less frustration than spamming LFG messages into General chat.

What the tool MIGHT do is reduce the frequency of douchebaggery. Today a group leader is god in the group and can misbehave to his heart's content. With a tool, the douchebag can be kicked out and replaced with (hopefully) a better player.

Show me a legitimate drawback that's more specific than "it destroys the community". Go deeper. Give specific examples.

there is one negative to a new LFG system, BW has to design the UI and it will probably be so awful to use that spamming chat is still the best method.

o wait we already have that...

there is one negative to a new LFG system, BW has to design the UI and it will probably be so awful to use that spamming chat is still the best method.

o wait we already have that...

Hehe...what? A LFG tool is not going to be in 1.2 anyway..so no worries there for ya. But it is coming....the topic of this thread is not the functionality of a same server Looking for Group tool ( because WE ARE getting one ) but rather should it be a "cross server" one.

They really cannot come up with any negatives, except they feel the addition of it would bring a bad impact on the "community" of the player base on thier server. Of course you and I and many others donot feel that is a big problem. They disagree.

As a kind of casual gamer here, I don't have time to spend hours waiting for people who want to do the same FPs- I've never gotten to do an operation, and not enough people are doing warzones on my server.

Its cynical to assume just because it might be slightly easier to get away with being rude, means it'll be anarchy! You can probably still report bad behavior.

As for community- if you have a nice big guild, you're fine, if you don't, find one, there's your community- how does a cross server LFG tool ruin that?

lol, please think of us casual gamers.

As for community- if you have a nice big guild, you're fine, if you don't, find one, there's your community- how does a cross server LFG tool ruin that?

It doesn't ruin it. The "it destroys the community" people have no idea what they're saying. Honestly, I don't think most of them have even experienced a X-server LFD.

Edited by Darkulous

X-Server LFG, I don't like it many for many reasons and, with other proof to back up my claims previously posted, there is no more I need to say about that flawed tool.

So you get X-Server LFG because you have been refusing even the idea of server merges saying "NO!" you want X-Server not merges. (check prior posts to see that debate on this very thread). Now you got, what about the others? Those that do not want the X-ServerLFG flawed tool at all, be it bad experience that they "just couldn't get over it", "grow thicker skin", are going to be stuck in a community that is not what they had or wanted or feel has been desecrated, or any other things X-ServerLFG pro advocates have called the rest.

So, guilds can do their runs, not a problem. They get no special treatment, drops, gear or tokens beyond the normal allotment given by BW. Just as it has been.

X-Server gets their one button op and no special treatment for performing such mundane two click insta-grouping. This allows you to "do the same content" you so claim to desire. You get the same chance for drops, gear, and tokens as given by BW for the guild/friends/regular old school type runs.

And then you MUST make a scalable Op for all those people who do not like X-Srever LFG and may not be in a guild and want "to do the same content", and cover the possibility that they have a friend or two with them, so they can do the same Op er "the same content". Now just because they are not a full guild group, or even so much as clicking a button for that insta-group, they too must get the same drops, gear, and tokens as they would if they were a regular type run, guild run, or insta-group.

So, that takes care of the Guilds, the X-Server LFG Musthaveneeds, and the people who do not join guilds or want the X-Server LFG experience.

So we will just have to get BW to go back to the drawing board to take care of all the mechanics needed to accomplish this merely minor feat.

I mean by what I've been reading in these posts and threads of what should have been in the game before BW even thought of releasing it, well, this should be nothing.

Edited by Esproc

hello all. I dont post often, but i thought it was important to post my thoughts on this.

I have been playing this game since launch. i have just recently made it to level 50 and started the endgame. here is my dilemna with endgame.

1. i haven't found any good open world pvp...

2. i almost can never find a group for a flashpoint or operation and i am using the LFG flag system. all i ever get is yelled at for spamming or asking to many people if they want to group up.

3. warzones are getting boring with the same old thing.

At this point the only time i can get fast enjoyment is by doing warzones, dailies, and space dailies. and that will get boring very fast.....

**** there needs to be a better way to find groups, or there needs to be some sort of server merge to put more people in the game at the same time.

Just my two cents to help out.