Will swtor ever go free to play?

tehrealdealz

Considering games like FFXI are still charging a subscription fee with about 200,000 players, I doubt SW will go F2P anytime soon. Even if TOR dips down to let's say 500,000 subscribers, that's still over 7million$ a month in their pockets. Of course, if the game hovers around 1,000,000 players, which I believe it can maintain, then that's double the cash.

I get that for the hardcore of hardcore players, TOR offers very little in terms of wasting your time in game. To the average gamer though, this game is great and you feel as though you can get something done every time you log in. F2P isn't always based on subscription numbers, but it often is. You can't tell me a game like DC universe was going on survive on subs alone.

All SOE games have gone F2P now, and each new SOE game will be F2P, including planetside 2 and EQ Next. DCUO did not go F2P because of poor subs, although that could be the reason, but the fact is MMOs going F2P is not a sign of failure, but companies wanting to suck more money out of you.

SOE wanted to keep SWG going and make it F2P, but LA did not want to, so it got shut down. I doubt TOR will go F2P, even if subs go below what Vanguard is getting at P2P. If TOR tanks, they will just shut the game down.

Edited by superniceguy

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually. It is. When someone tells you "Go back to WoW" basically that person is saying your a players thats used to being spoon fed everything. Epics, Titles, Mounts, Pets, etc etc without having to do any really anything.

I guess it shows how delusional the fanboys are on here coming out with that, considering you only need to log into this game for 2hrs and you could get most of those things handed to you.

SWTOR won't have over a million subscribers by the end of the years and Bioware are treading water.

I'd like to see how you got your statistics.

Go back to WoW please.

Edit: I know a game called world of tanks and it has MILLIONS of players and it's a friggin tank game, star wars is more popular than tanks so it would have a LOT MORE players than a friggin WW2 tank game.

World of Tanks is a FREE TO PLAY game.

You're really not helping yourself here.

Plus F2P actually costs you MORE than a P2P game.

World of Warcraft, you spend 15 a month. At most you can spend over 100 bucks if you use all the premium services.

League of Legends costs you over 1000 bucks in a WEEK because you cannot do CRAP without visiting that online store.

that is a bit over dramatic if you ask me...

I think SW should go F2P so i can come back after 3 to 4 months and see if it's been improved without wasting money on a month sub.

You really need to stop drinking the cola with to many sparkles in you know that, let me give you a hint, this game got nearly 2 mil subs and bliz aparently lost no subs, that tells you that the vast majority of people here are not from wow. Which means when mop hits and it fails they are either going to goto gw2 or here.

This game has more possibilitys then wow does and wow is coming to the end of its comercial life and thats easy to see by the way blizzard are handling there game and giving out 80's like free candy.

This game has what, 1.7 mil subs from the last count and yes there maybe a lul in the playerbase at the min for some people whos friends are taking a break but dont dream that this is somehow a sign that its failing, its a sign that people powered through the content they were interested in only.

Bioware, EA are throwing money hand over fist into the development of this game and Lucas are advertising it, the only place this game is going is up. And if you think the foundation of this game is single player then your missing something cos the foundation of this game is RPG which alot of mmos have severaly lacked.

this would be an MMORPG if people played it :(

only thing people do on here is PvP in war zones and thats because it puts them in a group with random people...

World pvp is nonexistent, groups on my server for flashpoints are nonexistent, people don't even talk in general chat anymore.

SWTOR won't have over a million subscribers by the end of the years and Bioware are treading water.

World of Tanks is a FREE TO PLAY game.

You're really not helping yourself here.

it already has over a million and it's growing at a steady rate.........

this would be an MMORPG if people played it :(

only thing people do on here is PvP in war zones and thats because it puts them in a group with random people...

World pvp is nonexistent, groups on my server for flashpoints are nonexistent, people don't even talk in general chat anymore.

sorry what, people do play the rpg and they play the rpg together. if they dont with you then thats possibly something your end.

Edited by Shingara

Actually. It is. When someone tells you "Go back to WoW" basically that person is saying your a players thats used to being spoon fed everything. Epics, Titles, Mounts, Pets, etc etc without having to do any really anything.

errr...how is TOR any different?

that is a bit over dramatic if you ask me...

I think SW should go F2P so i can come back after 3 to 4 months and see if it's been improved without wasting money on a month sub.

Odd thing man, I'm only being over dramatic a tiny bit. That's the freaking kicker. You will blow a crap ton of cash on LoL.

Seriously, it is crazy.

EA does not use an F2P model for their MMOs. Not even DAoC is F2P.

F2P undermines Lucas Arts business model as well. Lucas Arts wants pay to use royalty payments.

yes they do, need for speed world. but in no way will this go f2p.

I really don't see why EA should build a business model around your special needs/wants.

Besides, you hate the game. So even F2P, you would complain.

Edited by Andryah

sorry what, people do play the rpg and they play the rpg together. if they dont with you then thats possibly something your end.

or maybe there is only 20 people on the republic fleet?

something is wrong when a "trade hub" only has 20 people on the thing.

EVE Online (who has a lower player count) has over 1000 people in each of their "trade hubs"

Bioware, EA are throwing money hand over fist into the development of this game and Lucas are advertising it, the only place this game is going is up. And if you think the foundation of this game is single player then your missing something cos the foundation of this game is RPG which alot of mmos have severaly lacked.

Its alot of money to throw at a game for RP considering theres less than 10% of the servers used for RP.

I really don't see why EA should build a business model around your special needs/wants.

Besides, you hate the game. So even F2P, you would complain.

I wouldn't have a reason to, I would log on see if i liked it and then log off. Not spend a month using my 14.99 to talk on the forums.

the fact there is nothing to do end game makes this game strictly Role Play

who are you kidding nothing todo, there is pvp and soon tobe ranked pvp, there is space for commendations and even cos its freaking amazing even if it is on rails, there are nightmare and heroic flashpoints and ops to run with my friends and dont give me no jibber jabber about the rewards bla bla, i dont fight for rewards i fight for the challange.

No, enlighten me with your wisdom.

ok then smart ####, role playing is where you play as a defined character living as that character within the game, you talk like you are part of the game and interact with other players as if there char is a real person, working through scripts and staying in role of your chars.

an rpg is a game where you play within the enviroment and story like you do in this game and within fable, assassins creed and the multitude of other rpgs.

Edited by Shingara

who are you kidding nothing todo, there is pvp and soon tobe ranked pvp, there is space for commendations and even cos its freaking amazing even if it is on rails, there are nightmare and heroic flashpoints and ops to run with my friends and dont give me no jibber jabber about the rewards bla bla, i dont fight for rewards i fight for the challange.

Ranked PvP: something they should have had months ago... Congratulations Star wars has moved forward 10 years to present day gaming.

Space Comedations: I remember playing star fox for the original nentendo it was pretty cool, but this isn't the 1980s anymore

and Flash points: This i could see if there was a guild big enough to even do them on my server.

PvP gear: do War zones untill your blue in the face to get WZ points to trade them in for Champion points and then trade them in for Centurian points.... does anyone here see a huge waste of time here? or is this just me... Why do I have to trade in points for points for points when all you have to do is make the higher end gear cost more.........

ok then smart ####, role playing is where you play as a defined character living as that character within the game, you talk like you are part of the game and interact with other players as if there char is a real person, working through scripts and staying in role of your chars.

an rpg is a game where you play within the enviroment and story like you do in this game and within fable, assassins creed and the multitude of other rpgs.

so in a role play you become your character to take on evil and banish it from the world

and an RPG you control your character to take on evil and banish it from the world....

ummmm ok...

Ranked PvP: something they should have had months ago... Congratulations Star wars has moved forward 10 years to present day gaming.

Space Comedations: I remember playing star fox for the original nentendo it was pretty cool, but this isn't the 1980s anymore

and Flash points: This i could see if there was a guild big enough to even do them on my server.

PvP gear: do War zones untill your blue in the face to get WZ points to trade them in for Champion points and then trade them in for Centurian points.... does anyone here see a huge waste of time here? or is this just me... Why do I have to trade in points for points for points when all you have to do is make the higher end gear cost more.........

months ago ? its only been out months. And if you need to attain a rank and purple gear to enjoy pvp then your missing the point, ow and qudos for playing a game in the 80's that didnt come out until 93 and just cos its on rails and plays like dont make it any less addictive and fun.

And if your server is so quiet move to a busier one until the allow migrations and them move your old char to where your new chars are. enjoy a different story.