Theory Crafting: swtor too simple?

BCBull

Why is there no theory crafting? If there is any it's very little. Is it because the combat system is too simple? Is the talent system too simple? Or is the content too easy and there is just no need?

Theory crafting is a lot like a meta game. I not the math wiz the makes formulas, but I have an uncanny feel for what's right and enjoy reading the math.

So what's the deal, where is the theory crafting.

There's a lot of theory crafting. Multiple posts in fact showing builds and how they work, along with how to use them in various situations. If you're wanting certified numbers based on damage done or healing, we won't know that until some semblance of a Combat Log is added for parsing purposes. Edited by Dekai

Why is there no theory crafting? If there is any it's very little. Is it because the combat system is too simple? Is the talent system too simple? Or is the content too easy and there is just no need?

Theory crafting is a lot like a meta game. I not the math wiz the makes formulas, but I have an uncanny feel for what's right and enjoy reading the math.

Check the class forums. The only reason to come to the gen board right now is if you enjoy doom and gloom.

How are you going to Theory Craft when there are no -

Damage Meters

Combat Logs

Raid Logs

There's no Theory crafting in the class forums, people are just pulling opinions from thin air and calling it fact,

99.9% of everything posted in the class forums is simply -

This spec is the best, because I like it the best, therefore it must be the best,

lol

Edited by Tsaritsin

Damage Meters

Combat Logs

Raid Logs

There's no Theory crafting in the class forums, people are just pulling opinions from thin air and calling it fact,

This spec is the best, because I like it the best, therefore it must be the best,

lol

the·o·ry - a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena

They ARE theory crafting. I think what you're looking for is "math".

Damage Meters

Combat Logs

Raid Logs

lol

For DPS, quite simple.

Normal Mode EV is separate from HM/NM. So you can have some help clearing to Infernal Council. Activate the event, pick a marauder and start timing. Doing multiple attempts you can test a rotation for optimal damage. Figured everyone knew this by now.

no combat logs, for one. You can checkout sithwarrior.com, i'm pretty sure those guys are actively penning down their numbers in order to analyze them...haha.

the content is easy, so there hasn't been a point where theory crafting was truly necessary beyond the hobby of doing it.

IMO, the majority of this games' market is story focused, and the majority of players couldn't be bothered with math or theory.

Edited by Stupiddrummer

Well the majority of us came from some other mmo I would think. I would also think a good portion of that majority have did or had interest in crafting.

Is it solely due to the lack of combat logs? Do we know we know enough about the mechanics? Or is it simple as Primary stat > Power > Crit > Surge? This seems to be the way all gear breaks down, or and plus bunch of hit.

No one really cares about it. The game isn't really built with that in mind, or for players who are interested in that sort of thing.

There's no progression race, no theory crafting that even means anything (are you going the theory craft your companion or wait, no since you can't use them in Ops. etc).

Either by design or accident, this game does not have a deep endgame.

think alot has to do with no way to report actual findings, as theres no recount or any of that. Which I like, I don't like any of that third party stuff.. but ya, besides that, it's out there, people theorize the best routine and the best way to do, yadda yadda all the time, search google, it's there.

Most simply put, BioWare has not been supporting the hard-core theorycrafting/optimizer style of play. Alot of those leaving and complaining about the game fall into that segment of the playerbase.

BioWare seems to have placed it's priority on covering over the game's internal workings to provide and exciting experience as opposed to laying the formulas and numbers bare to deconstruct the game into a math problem. It represents a design philosophy that me and many others approve of.

Edited by Matte_Black

Because people like you are filling the front page with whining and bumping any good posts off the radar.

No, it's there. Sithwarrior.com is a good place to go, as stupiddrummer already mentioned.

The only reason to come to the gen board right now is if you enjoy doom and gloom.

OR to attempt spread more of it. :)

Check the class forums.

Exactly. I think OP knows this though.

My sense is this thread is more about choosing and posting a daily provocation to the community. ;)

Most simply put, BioWare has not been supporting the hard-core theorycrafting/optimizer style of play. Alot of those leaving and complaining about the game fall into that segment of the playerbase.

BioWare seems to have placed it's priority on covering over the game's internal workings to provide and exciting experience as opposed to laying the formulas and numbers bare to deconstruct the game into a math problem. It represents a design philosophy that me and many others approve of.

Yep yep.

I approve of the Bioware approach. That said, constructive theory crafting is taking place elsewhere in the forum, by the more positive minded players.

Damage Meters

Combat Logs

Raid Logs

lol

You don't need any of that to theorycraft. You just need that to help make sure your theory is correct.

Parsing results, meters, and logs isn't theorycrafting. Theorycrafting is trying to figure out what the best build is based on what you know of the numbers. You then can review meters & logs to see if your theory is accurate.

At a broad level, that's the definition of a theory. It's something you believe to be true, and you then do studies to find evidence that your theory is correct or not.

Yep yep.

I approve of the Bioware approach. That said, constructive theory crafting is taking place elsewhere in the forum, by the more positive minded players.

I agree with this...It's sad that some of my more hardcore friends are throwing in the towel because theory crafting isn't some convoluted equation but I love the fact that I can build my character the way that I want instead of the way Tankspot tells me to; for once I am playing a MMO that feels like an adventure instead of a Rat running through a connect the dots maze for cheese.