Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

One new warzone isnt enough...

Vikassi

Let's run with your assumption for a moment...

If BW has (for example) 3 fully functional Warzones ready, and release them now all at once, know what would happen? A month from now we would've played them all into the ground and be whining for something new and different.

Better to release one now, let us play it a bit, and when it gets old, give us something new. Quantity doesn't matter -- we'll get bored or used to it eventually and want something new. So it's better for them to just release one at a time, rather than giving us a bunch of new stuff at once that we will get tired of.

3 isnt enough, 4 isnt enough especially with what they did to Illum.

They needed to have 9 at launch rotating 3 per month.

We are getting buggy flashpoint after flashpoint when all a warzone is a small map with some objectives, it really isnt rocket science to have different maps as a variation on a theme

what will the new warzone objective be?

or will it just be more maps for the current warzones?

here is a video of the new warzone

Denova is a lot like Alderaan because it has a 3 point capture system. but it has a lot of subtle differences that improve the gameplay a lot in my opinion. Capturing a node - unlike Aldaraan, can be done with multiple people and the more people capturing a node the faster it gets captured. Each capture point is housed inside a small enclosed area -- and I like this a lot because it give gunslingers and snipers a place to camp out. It also saves the capture progression, so even if you're interrupted you can continue capturing where you left off.

It looks to be a major upgrade from the Alderaan warzone. Where instead of a team giving up simply because of a score deficit. . .if you control at least 2 nodes, your ship doesn't take any damage. I'm sure there will still be some games where teams 'give up' since they are out-powered, but I think it'll keep more people actively pushing/fighting.

Let’s don our thinking caps here.

Currently on Live we have. . .

Void Star: Sith vs. Republic

Alderaan Civil War: Sith vs. Republic

Hutball : Sith vs. Republic

Hutball: Sith vs. Sith

Hutball: Republic vs. Republic

When 1.2 is Live we will have. . .

Void Star: Sith vs. Sith

Void Star: Republic vs. Republic

Alderaan Civil War: Sith vs. Sith

Alderaan Civil War: Republic vs. Republic

New WZ: Sith vs. Republic

New WZ: Sith vs. Sith

New WZ: Republic vs. Republic

Currently we have 5 different variations of the 3 War Zones. While we will only get one new War Zone we are going to get 7 new variations on all of the War Zones for a total of 12.

Let’s don our thinking caps here.

Currently on Live we have. . .

When 1.2 is Live we will have. . .

Void Star: Sith vs. Sith

Void Star: Republic vs. Republic

Alderaan Civil War: Sith vs. Sith

Alderaan Civil War: Republic vs. Republic

New WZ: Sith vs. Republic

New WZ: Sith vs. Sith

New WZ: Republic vs. Republic

Currently we have 5 different variations of the 3 War Zones. While we will only get one new War Zone we are going to get 7 new variations on all of the War Zones for a total of 12.

Anyway you slice it, its still the same wzs

The problem are the warzones are too small, feels too clustered and just thrown into a death match. Hardly any room to move around or roam. No way I'm traveling down a road to a cap point, then meet an opposing player and we both battle it out. Edited by heikaze

FPS's do instanced PvP much, much better than MMO's.

In FPS's, you usually get 10+ maps, sometimes even more. Meanwhile, you get many, many different game modes which are often compatible across all maps. In addition, queues are relatively short, often allowing a player to join a new game within a minute of leaving an old one. You get skill based game play (depending upon the FPS) and relatively balanced weapons (as in, I can do well with any gun -- depends upon the FPS). When new maps launch, they often come with many at a time. Again, all of these new maps can play multiple game modes. FPS's are generally free to play after you purchase the game, save for perhaps paid DLC.

In MMO's, you get a small handful of poorly designed battlegrounds, extremely long queues (depending upon your server), imbalanced gear based PvP (as opposed to skill based), and imbalanced classes. Furthermore, you only have a handful of game modes. When new game modes/maps launch, it's one or two at a time. You pay for all of this monthly. You also must invest many, many hours to finally get to play end game.

Overall, you often have hundreds of map/game mode variations in FPS's. In SWTOR, you have three -- and don't try and sell me that "Empire v Empire void star, Empire v Republic void star, Republic v Republic voidstar" garbage. It's still voidstar, regardless of who's playing in it. I'm supposed to be impressed that TOR is releasing ONE new map that only allows ONE new game mode? I can pick up any FPS and get the same thing, plus a multitude of new variety for cheaper.

So why am I paying for an MMO again and not off playing an FPS that clearly destroys MMO's when it comes to instanced PvP? Oh, that's right. I play MMO's for WORLD PVP, which does not exist in any FPS's (if it does, let me know so I can play it).

Oh wait. TOR doesn't have any world PvP. It only has instanced PvP. Why am I not playing an FPS?

Edited by MatchpointServe

this game needed 7 years of content and every feature world of warcraft had at launch

isnt that pretty much what your average person playing this game wanted?

well warcraft only had 3 battlegrounds for launch. WSG, AB, AV.

Too bad those were WAY better designed than the WZs in swtor.

Huttball = wsg (carry the flag)

Alderaan = ab (capture point / resources)

Voidstar = SotA (a dumbed down version)

AV was FUN, even though often it would turn into a long stalemate, it was still FUN most of the time. Then when you summon your faction boss and it's not "bugged," it's quite hilarious.

But PvP can never be good in this game because of the lack of responsiveness and the inherit impossibility of SWTOR system to handle more than 16 people at a time.

well warcraft only had 3 battlegrounds for launch. WSG, AB, AV.

Too bad those were WAY better designed than the WZs in swtor.

Huttball = wsg (carry the flag)

Alderaan = ab (capture point / resources)

Voidstar = SotA (a dumbed down version)

AV was FUN, even though often it would turn into a long stalemate, it was still FUN most of the time. Then when you summon your faction boss and it's not "bugged," it's quite hilarious.

But PvP can never be good in this game because of the lack of responsiveness and the inherit impossibility of SWTOR system to handle more than 16 people at a time.

While I do dislike instanced PvP, I must admit that I used to have a blast in AV back in the day. It's a shame the hero engine can never handle something similar.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.