Why was PVE made so inaccessible yet PVP very accessible?

Reevax

I came into SWTOR for the PvE experience. It seems like the majority of people here are PvPers yet they have so few servers.

The Devs focus really hard on making PvP accessible while people like me are sort of like second class citizens.

I wish They would have marketed this as a PvP game before I spent all that money on a 6 months sub :(

I'm really not sure what this is supposed to mean.

How is PVE turned into a second-class element in the game? Most of the game is PVE content.

If you're talking about the fact that you can queue up for PVP from any location, but that you have to travel to various planets for PVE content, I would wager this is because the alternative, with some sort of "lobby" for each PVP warzone would wind up diluting the amount of people on the fleet, or other social hubs on various planets, and serve to end up segregating the player base.

If this isn't what you mean, it would help if you explained a little more about what you mean.

Hope that helps!

Give it time, PvPers and PvEers all have this "grass is greener on the other side" mentality. Over the years in WoW they got more and more vocal until they began to point blank argue over which side was better catered for.

To this day no one cares, nor is it a valid complaint, as both are equally accessible. With the addition of the LFG too, things will be even smoother.

Sorry but your complaint is baseless.

Really? Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

Let's see what PVP has....

1. Few PVP Servers

2. Three Warzones

3. Three Tiers of Gear.

Now, let's take a look at what PVE has.

1. Like 50 PVE Servers

2. Quests on Every planet to help you level, along with Class quests that keep you in the right area that gives awards, gear, commendations, and legacy.

3. Oh, yeah, the legacy system.

4. About 10 Flashpoints to do while you are leveling.

5. Heroic Flashpoints to do once you hit 50.

6. World Bosses

7. Professions

8. An Economy

9. Daily Missions that give almost 150k daily.

10. Weekly missions.

11. Operations and varying difficulty levels.

12. Three tiers of gear to earn.

13. Crafted gear.

14. Space

You're right this game is totally built for PVP. With their one daily quest.

The Devs focus really hard on making PvP accessible while people like me are sort of like second class citizens.

You just mad because you can't instant queue for a PVE content!

Get a guild for that, a big one that focus on PVE Flashpoint's and Operations! Makes your life easy! :D

I came into SWTOR for the PvE experience. It seems like the majority of people here are PvPers yet they have so few servers.

I wish They would have marketed this as a PvP game before I spent all that money on a 6 months sub :(

Correct me if i'm wrong but what your trying to say is that pve is inaccessible to solo players and many players in general at the moment due to low server populations, group forming, and lack of endgame solo content. Whereas pvp is easy to get involved with

Basicly BW made a boo boo, they assumed that standing around in fleet typing DPS LFG would generate a better commuiity. And they assumed solo players would be happy rolling alt after alt with no character progression in mind for the next 2 years till the next xpac.

They are addressing the random dungeon finder issue, but the pug groups will be just as nasty as they are in other games. While solo players are being ignored hoping they will continue to pay for a game that promises much but delivers little once you hit 50.

I honestly have no clue what you mean by accessible.

You need to expand a bit with some specifics as to what you are trying to say. :confused:

PvE is the major focus of the game. But I think I see what the OP is aluding to. At 50, if you want to progress your gear (which is most of the progresion availabe at the level cap) then you must do FPs and Ops. That means not only grouping, but grouping with experienced and geared players all inclined to do the instance you are interested in at the same time you are interested in it. Obviously this is mostly available to moderate to large guilds only.

So, if you are in a small guild, or not a member at all, it is tough. Or even if your in a good sized guild, you personally might not be available at the times they are scheduling there raids. That is the nature of MMOs.

Here is the clincher - there is no such obstacle to PvPing. You can be a totally solo player an progress completely unhindered in PvP.

Edited by AAmedeo

Really? Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

Let's see what PVP has....

1. Few PVP Servers

2. Three Warzones

3. Three Tiers of Gear.

Now, let's take a look at what PVE has.

1. Like 50 PVE Servers

2. Quests on Every planet to help you level, along with Class quests that keep you in the right area that gives awards, gear, commendations, and legacy.

3. Oh, yeah, the legacy system.

4. About 10 Flashpoints to do while you are leveling.

5. Heroic Flashpoints to do once you hit 50.

6. World Bosses

7. Professions

8. An Economy

9. Daily Missions that give almost 150k daily.

10. Weekly missions.

11. Operations and varying difficulty levels.

12. Three tiers of gear to earn.

13. Crafted gear.

14. Space

You're right this game is totally built for PVP. With their one daily quest.

I did not say there was a lack of content. I said it was not as accessible as PvP is.

Basic PVP by its nature is a single player game and easy to get into. It is similar to leveling in PVE content. Endgame PVE is more difficult because it takes a team much like PVP Arenas in WOW. That is true of any MMO.

A LFG tool will help with endgame a bit but ultimately if you are hardcore PVE'er you are always going to need a group of friends/guild to succeed.

Here is the clincher - there is no such obstacle to PvPing. You can be a totally solo player an progress completely unhindered in PvP.

Yeah, I think this is what the OP was referring to. Without a streamlined method for building groups, running FPs is tedious and deterring to a lot of players (it's boring to stand in Fleet asking for a tank for 30 minutes).

Whereas, with PvP, I click "Queue Solo," and within minutes, I'm playing a Warzone.

I remember seeing at the Guild Summit where BioWare was a little bit shocked that PvP is as popular as it is. Surely, they understand that a big appeal of PvP is its accessibility. If a streamlined group finder tool were implemented, I'm sure PvE would jump in popularity.

He's talking about acessing the PvE content and not complaining how many PvE content there are. Currently, this is the PvE gear progression.

-Flashpoints

-Dailies

-Normal Ops (Eternity Vault)

-MORE DAILIES!

-HM Flashpoints

-HM Ops

Unless you're in a guild, finding a group for an ops run may be difficult especially if you can only play for 1-2 hours per day or if you're in a low populated server. Tionesse gear SHOULD BE easier to obtain. I don't even understand the purpose of it's existence seeing as I have almost full Columi set while having enough to purchase ONE Tionesse gears.

I remember seeing at the Guild Summit where BioWare was a little bit shocked that PvP is as popular as it is. Surely, they understand that a big appeal of PvP is its accessibility. If a streamlined group finder tool were implemented, I'm sure PvE would jump in popularity.

One thing that surprises me over and over is how little Bioware understood MMOs as they made this game. There's nothing wrong with trying to innovate with the single player aspect but if you are going to market yourself as an MMO you have to have simple tools like a decent LFG system. WoW got away with not having one at launch but that was a long time ago and expectations have been raised.

Personally I find that in gaming the word 'accessible' means basically 'dumbed-down'.

Everytime I read that word regarding games I shudder.

Making games more accessible 'usually' means taking something that only some people can grasp and watering it down so that as many people on the planet as possible can take part (purchase) it.

This game compared to some MMO's of the past is ridiculously easy to start-up and master. The whole theme of TOR is 'as long as you have a pulse you can excel at this game'.

I actually enjoy TOR for what it is. Please noone suggest making it more accessible still.

Edited by Jamus_Divinus

I came into SWTOR for the PvE experience.

Me, too.

It seems like the majority of people here are PvPers yet they have so few servers.

Let's analyze that statement:

It seems like [appears to me that] the majority of people here [on the forums] are PvPers [people who argue over PvP issues] yet there are so few servers.

How do resolve this issue? Are the servers screwed up? Has Bioware made far too many PvE servers and spent far too much time on PvE since the majority of people are just here for PvP?

Or are PvPers over-represented on the forums, a place which has been traditionally and reliably overpopulated with hardcore players and players with complaints. And as yahtzee has pointed out so well, PvPers routinely complain, even when they like the game.

I don't know why you'd think that. Because PvPers whine louder? Doesn't this just show you that PvPers are... well... better whiners? Even if you look through the patch notes, PvE fixes are still more common than PvP fixes.

Or look at the upcoming 1.2 release: The legacy system does very little for PvPers (which has, shockingly enough, caused them to whine). It is a system catering almost exclusively to PvE players. The changes to speeder pricing, sprint, and even the skill tree changes are more targeted to PvE players. Even the crafting improvements have more bonuses for PvE players than they do for PvP players.

If there are second class citizens in SWTOR, it's PvPers. Yeah, they get bug fixes, and they make more noise so their fixes get more coverage, but there's still way more that is done to help/fix/improve PvE.

That would have been horrible marketing, as the grand majority of the players of this game are PvE players. This has been shown repeatedly.

Your problems seems to be a fairly common one: Assuming that the population on the forums bears any similarity to the population of the game.

It doesn't.

I did not say there was a lack of content. I said it was not as accessible as PvP is.

I suggest that you explain what you mean, then. I find PvE to be extremely accessible. You start a character and... you're in PvE. You play, and you level. And you're in PvE.

Flopping out a buzzword isn't enough. Explain what you mean so we can discuss it.

This game is far from pvp only game, unless you play on a pvp server, I am not sure what your saying, unless you mean there is no fast travel to a group thats is in an instance, I know I can que for pvp and it takes me straight to the warzone, yes, I think I read somewhere that the dev's may be addressing this issue, but I am sure it will not come along fast enough to satisfy you.

PvE isn't as accessable because nobody is doing it compared to PvP. Most of the PvE crowd generally comes out to play on tuesdays when raidlocks reset. Thats unless you're new of course, which you must be.

I suggest that you explain what you mean, then. I find PvE to be extremely accessible. You start a character and... you're in PvE. You play, and you level. And you're in PvE.

Flopping out a buzzword isn't enough. Explain what you mean so we can discuss it.

Unless, of course, you want to do Flashpoints. Then, instead of enjoying the game, you get to go to fleet and spam the channels for an hour, looking to form a group.

The crux of the OPs (and many, many others) issues.

The community in WoW is a cesspool because it is a mainstream game, not because a LFD tool was created.

PvE isn't as accessable because nobody is doing it compared to PvP. Most of the PvE crowd generally comes out to play on tuesdays when raidlocks reset. Thats unless you're new of course, which you must be.

Ignorant statement is ignorant.

im confused, this games focus is clearly on PvE not PvP. I cant even see how anyone could think the opposite.

Edited by da_krall