The question of the month: Will you keep your subscription up? and why?

Nasq

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to make a decision and unsubbed yesterday, not because I was that unhappy with the game, money is tight and can only afford to play one mmo for a few months and lotro made the cut, swtor didn't. I still have 25 days left on my sub and plan on popping in and out. Hopefully things will be better and there will be some resolution with server pops in a few months when I come back.

IFor months now PVP has been dead because the reward for doing it is substandard gear and a massive loss of resources. .

pvp is dead because most people get 5-15 fps in pvp.. even at low settings. Nothings more fun than getting ***** by a group of people when you cant even turn around or run away.

simply put.. 1.2 better fix a TON of issues.. or the game will be officially dead the week after.

I had to make a decision and unsubbed yesterday, not because I was that unhappy with the game, money is tight

see.. thats what bioware doesnt understand i think... they expect us all to run out and get a new NASA system to run the game on so they dont have to fix issues with fps etc. ... people dont have the money and people like me and my friends will NOT be upgrading again for at least a while.. because we simply cant afford to cram money into a new system to run one game.. especially when everything else on the market runs WAY better than this POS.

pvp is dead because most people get 5-15 fps in pvp.. even at low settings. Nothings more fun than getting ***** by a group of people when you cant even turn around or run away.

simply put.. 1.2 better fix a TON of issues.. or the game will be officially dead the week after.

Yeah, keep making excuses. There hasn't been a single MMO to date that has had "successful" PvP, according PvPers, because of one lame excuse after another. I was in the top 10 in Quake 2 on a 486 with dialup, seeing movement only every 3 seconds or more, so don't give FPS excuses...

The proof is in the MMO pudding. PvP dies because of PvPers... PvP is dead, period. It doesn't matter what developers do. Mark my words: GW2 will be further proof. It'll spike, people will QQ, participation will wane, and the PvP will die there, too.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

see.. thats what bioware doesnt understand i think... they expect us all to run out and get a new NASA system to run the game on so they dont have to fix issues with fps etc. ... people dont have the money and people like me and my friends will NOT be upgrading again for at least a while.. because we simply cant afford to cram money into a new system to run one game.. especially when everything else on the market runs WAY better than this POS.

This, very much This.

TOR runs horribly on my laptop, and it actually runs faster on High settings than on Low (no shadows on both settings) which is just weird.

I will not spend a penny to upgrade my pc for ONE game, never, ever.

Everything else runs perfectly.

FPS fix is something I stopped waiting for a long time ago, I don't think it will ever come, and the content is not enjoyable when you are looking at a slide show game.

Yeah, keep making excuses. There hasn't been a single MMO to date that has had "successful" PvP, according PvPers, because of one lame excuse after another. I was in the top 10 in Quake 2 on a 486 with dialup, seeing movement only every 3 seconds or more, so don't give FPS excuses...

The proof is in the MMO pudding. PvP dies because of PvPers... PvP is dead, period. It doesn't matter what developers do. Mark my words: GW2 will be further proof. It'll spike, people will QQ, participation will wane, and the PvP will die there, too.

Your point is as valid as your argument, not your accomplishments. "I played Quake 2 at top level, so what I say is TRUE," is, I'm afraid, not a valid argument. Ignoring the fact that, after a quick google, and conversations with a couple of people I know that competed at the pro level in Quake... I couldn't find you and none of them had heard of you. I'm not discounting that you're using a different alias on these boards however than the one you use professionally; I do.

However to answer your point: there are countless games out there that are fundamentally disproving your assersions. Tribes Ascend isn't even out of beta yet and they're already planning ladder tournaments and talking to major sponsors about professional competitions for large cash prizes. Starcraft and Starcraft 2 support healthy professional leagues between them, even if Starcraft 2 "underperformed" by many measures. League of Legends is a well known, almost house hold name for professional level competition. And Guild Wars 1 supported for MANY YEARS a very large and notorious population of "professional" teams that competed for rather large cash prizes; no sponsorship deals were signed because the game wasn't built for spectators and/or commentary, however that is likely to change with Guild Wars 2 arena combat. WoW has been supporting, both through the Blizzard Invitationals and through ESL, large Arena tournaments and ladders as well. Eve Online has been running professional level tournaments for years now. We're living in an age where video game competitions are being broadcast on television consistently, something that wouldn't have happened even 5 years ago. I myself have been asked to commentate on various games at various live events for various major broadcasting corporations including the BBC, Sky, Channel 4 and a number of others. There's a growing interest across the board in pro level competition in gaming, INCLUDING MMOs. If there wasn't healthy PvP, that wouldn't be happening.

MMOs certainly don't field the greatest representation at the highest level, but why does that surprise you? They don't field the highest number of gamers, either. Compare the number of FPS players, or RTS players, or MOBA players to MMO players and you will see that the larger numbers AREN'T in the MMO genre, at least not in the West.

And you're also totally ignoring the fact that over 60% of the SWTOR playerbase PvPs. Only 30% PvE raids. What does that tell you? That PvP is dead? If that's true, if it IS telling you that, then you must be utterly blind.

Your entire argument is specious at best, I'm afraid. I couldn't disagree with you more.

Edited by indelible

Yes, I will keep my subscription up.

The girlfriend and I have been having way more fun in SWTOR than we've had in a very long time in terms of MMOs.

The game is fun, the PvP is fun, and 1.2 will bring some nice quality of life changes, like color match returning.

I'm definitely hopeful for the future of SWTOR, and have no other game I'd rather be in. :)

To answer the OP;

My account runs out on 20th April, and I have no intention of resubscribing. There are many things I expected of ToR, and it has categorically failed to meet those expectations (that I was rather conservative in setting). 1.2 goes some way to solving the problems, but despite its size it's too little, too late in my opinion.

I'll be taking a few months out. If in August the game has improved exponentially, I will return. If not, I'll have other things to keep me entertained.

Your point is as valid as your argument, not your accomplishments. "I played Quake 2 at top level, so what I say is TRUE," is, I'm afraid, not a valid argument. Ignoring the fact that, after a quick google, and conversations with a couple of people I know that competed at the pro level in Quake... I couldn't find you and none of them had heard of you. I'm not discounting that you're using a different alias on these boards however than the one you use professionally; I do.

However to answer your point: there are countless games out there that are fundamentally disproving your assersions. Tribes Ascend isn't even out of beta yet and they're already planning ladder tournaments and talking to major sponsors about professional competitions for large cash prizes. Starcraft and Starcraft 2 support healthy professional leagues between them, even if Starcraft 2 "underperformed" by many measures. League of Legends is a well known, almost house hold name for professional level competition. And Guild Wars 1 supported for MANY YEARS a very large and notorious population of "professional" teams that competed for rather large cash prizes; no sponsorship deals were signed because the game wasn't built for spectators and/or commentary, however that is likely to change with Guild Wars 2 arena combat. WoW has been supporting, both through the Blizzard Invitationals and through ESL, large Arena tournaments and ladders as well. Eve Online has been running professional level tournaments for years now. We're living in an age where video game competitions are being broadcast on television consistently, something that wouldn't have happened even 5 years ago. I myself have been asked to commentate on various games at various live events for various major broadcasting corporations including the BBC, Sky, Channel 4 and a number of others. There's a growing interest across the board in pro level competition in gaming, INCLUDING MMOs. If there wasn't healthy PvP, that wouldn't be happening.

MMOs certainly don't field the greatest representation at the highest level, but why does that surprise you? They don't field the highest number of gamers, either. Compare the number of FPS players, or RTS players, or MOBA players to MMO players and you will see that the larger numbers AREN'T in the MMO genre, at least not in the West.

And you're also totally ignoring the fact that over 60% of the SWTOR playerbase PvPs. Only 30% PvE raids. What does that tell you? That PvP is dead? If that's true, if it IS telling you that, then you must be utterly blind.

Your entire argument is specious at best, I'm afraid. I couldn't disagree with you more.

Finally, someone is starting to get my point. Well said, my friend. :cool:

Edited by JeramieCrowe

i just rolled a bounty hunter about two weeks ago and the game it is the most fun ive had in any game i have ever played.

ive got a 40 guardian i can still finish the epic storyline with

and a 34 gunslinger and we all know the smuggler storyline is fun as hell.

SO

yeah, ive still got plenty to do in this game and its only getting better so yeah, im staying.

and its not like my alternatives are any better: D3? yeah if i wanted to play rampage world tour, id play rampage world tour. GW2? have you guys actually looked at that game? its wow all over again, only instead of a hunter its called a "ranger" and instead of a rogue, its called a "thief" and instead of a mage its called an "elementalist" BLAH BLAH BLAH

Star Wars Sci Fi mmo, SWTOR is the ONLY one out there right now, fills a HUGE niche. so naysayers be damned, swtor is here to stay.

I understand what you're saying there but my problem isn't that my system won't play it, I just built this rig back in december and I can play on highest settings with no issues. My problem is I work full time, go to college full time and have lots of bills and play this and lotro and will only be able to afford to play one of them for the next few months due to budgeting. Just that if i'm going to pay a sub to play a game and I have to make a choice i'm gonig to choose to play the one with more content, totally not this games fault, it's a new game, and I plan on returning in a few months.

Not me.

I was a real fanboy, but the clunky combat and lags compared to WoW have got me playing more and more WoW. Also, the end-game is so much better in WoW. I can't afford time for both games, so I picked WoW.

I wish you all the best with this game, and hope it continues to grow.

Cheers.

I am new but I intend to stay even if all the forum problems come to fruition for me. I would never jump into a new MMO with the expectation it would be as polished as a 7 year old game.

I like the design philosophy and I want to help the game grow.

Was looking at my gametime card ... days left. Coincidentally it's gonna end mid May, just in time for Diablo 3.

I won't even bother looking at 1.2 as I suspect D3 will keep me entertained for a long time.

I canceled (think I have 12 or so more days left) and am just going to wait for D3 as well. D3 will have more content, a good story, PvP and will be free to play.

I don't know why people are excited for 1.2. It's not adding content with any substance, it's not adressing FPS issues and engine issues, and I doubt many of the bugs will get taken care of. The patch is fixing things that should have been fixed or included in the game before it was released. So its taken 4+ months for them to put together a patch to fix their game... how long do you think its going to take them to release a patch with actual content and how many subs will they bleed in the meantime?

They had a chance to be successful with TOR but by the time Bioware gets their **** together their window of opportunity is going to be gone. All the VO killed this game imo. They should have VO'd the class quests only and dumped the rest of their money into more important areas (they could have actually built their own engine if they did this and a lot of other stuff too).

I canceled (think I have 12 or so more days left) and am just going to wait for D3 as well. D3 will have more content, a good story, PvP and will be free to play.

I don't know why people are excited for 1.2. It's not adding content with any substance, it's not adressing FPS issues and engine issues, and I doubt many of the bugs will get taken care of. The patch is fixing things that should have been fixed or included in the game before it was released. So its taken 4+ months for them to put together a patch to fix their game... how long do you think its going to take them to release a patch with actual content and how many subs will they bleed in the meantime?

They had a chance to be successful with TOR but by the time Bioware gets their **** together their window of opportunity is going to be gone. All the VO killed this game imo. They should have VO'd the class quests only and dumped the rest of their money into more important areas (they could have actually built their own engine if they did this and a lot of other stuff too).

I agree completely.

I unsubbed due to the server population issues which are still not being addressed till at least the end of this month. Not paying money to sit around and do nothing. They spent so much time developing stories and beautiful VO that it took away from the rest of the game. I think they could of been better off with giving less dialogue and time to the side stories and spent more time on your main quest. Then they'd of had more time to spend on the real issues with the game.

D3 has more content? more story? as if EIGHT EPIC storylines that you shape with your choices isnt enough story.

swtor has eight epic storylines. eight people, thats like eight mass effects into one game. thats a lot of content. and its good story also. GOOD story telling. from your perspective. you make those choices, that doesnt happen in D3

oh and i hate to burst your bubble, but D3 isnt launching with pvp LOL and you thought 3 wz's was pathetic, try NO pvp at all at launch for D3. it was announced.

lol you fanboys putting D3 and GW2 on the pedestal.

sad really. . .

D3 has more content? more story? as if EIGHT EPIC storylines that you shape with your choices isnt enough story.

swtor has eight epic storylines. eight people, thats like eight mass effects into one game. thats a lot of content. and its good story also. GOOD story telling. from your perspective. you make those choices, that doesnt happen in D3

oh and i hate to burst your bubble, but D3 isnt launching with pvp LOL and you thought 3 wz's was pathetic, try NO pvp at all at launch for D3. it was announced.

lol you fanboys putting D3 and GW2 on the pedestal.

sad really. . .

Well I' enjoying the GW2 beta and I'll buy it but it won't replace TOR same with D3...also there are juts as many disillusioned players over on the GW2 beta forums as there are here...maybe even more.