Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

When will there be a "SERVER MERGE?"

gizbug

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bioware has tricked you all!

Here and only here MMORPG stand for Minimum multiplayer online rollplaying game.

I have spent much time reading posts about this issue.

I will again predict the future of SWTOR!

All be amazed....

Legacy comes out, people play on dead servers again for another month, people quit.

Nuff said.

how many 50s do you have and how many legacy levels do you have? no one wants to reroll and re-level all the way to 50, get completely re-geared and back to the legacy level they currently have. People are getting pissed off myself included that they are completely ignoring their customers and unable to swallow their pride and do something about it. When my sub expires chances are im not going to re-sub and just uninstall the game.

how many 50s do you have and how many legacy levels do you have? no one wants to reroll and re-level all the way to 50, get completely re-geared and back to the legacy level they currently have. People are getting pissed off myself included that they are completely ignoring their customers and unable to swallow their pride and do something about it. When my sub expires chances are im not going to re-sub and just uninstall the game.

How many re-roll the same class on their home server? Very few. You know why? It's not fun. So why would someone want to re-roll the same class (which is thier main) on another server? Bag logic is bad

the problem is they show ppl they have 2 million subs and their game is great but its dead on most servers and is doesnt even earn a MMO title. a game that you can play alone is not an MMO.

they live of new subbed players and walk over dead old players that are here from beta and start.. bah !

Well, I know a lot of people will be like "QQ" or "don't let the door hit you on the way out" but I thought I would share my story.

Like a lot of you I have been waiting for this game for what feels like an eternity, the thought of it being a new improved SWG or a (insert another MMO)-beater was what I was hoping for. I would sometimes avoid media updates so that I wouldn't get too excited by a game being released months and months down the line.

On release (after enjoying some beta time) a lot of my friends and I were automatically thrown on a server, no big deal we thought, we started up our little guild and we had about 22 members. The early weeks we couldn't get enough, doing flashpoints and a little PvP and just generally helping with missions. We were a social guild and everyone had families or limited time to play, so the time we got we very much enjoyed.

And then it happened, not sure when or how, but we noticed there was very little in the way of interaction with other people, not through the want of trying, but suddenly all the areas were empty, or, as good as. Our members then started to lose interest and it felt like we were playing a single player game.

A few of us re-rolled on a busy server but was overcome with a feeling of "meh, levelling again" and with the limited time we all had to play, the appeal of starting from scratch again was kinda lost.

The 1.2 update does indeed look good, but I have had no option than to cancel my account for now, will I come back in the future? probably. But at the moment It feels odd paying for a single player game (no matter how enjoyable) with just a couple of multiplayer elements thrown in. Would this have felt different if we were not automatically assigned a server which is now empty? quite probably.

I really hope they sort this out soon!

Well, I know a lot of people will be like "QQ" or "don't let the door hit you on the way out" but I thought I would share my story.

Like a lot of you I have been waiting for this game for what feels like an eternity, the thought of it being a new improved SWG or a (insert another MMO)-beater was what I was hoping for. I would sometimes avoid media updates so that I wouldn't get too excited by a game being released months and months down the line.

On release (after enjoying some beta time) a lot of my friends and I were automatically thrown on a server, no big deal we thought, we started up our little guild and we had about 22 members. The early weeks we couldn't get enough, doing flashpoints and a little PvP and just generally helping with missions. We were a social guild and everyone had families or limited time to play, so the time we got we very much enjoyed.

And then it happened, not sure when or how, but we noticed there was very little in the way of interaction with other people, not through the want of trying, but suddenly all the areas were empty, or, as good as. Our members then started to lose interest and it felt like we were playing a single player game.

A few of us re-rolled on a busy server but was overcome with a feeling of "meh, levelling again" and with the limited time we all had to play, the appeal of starting from scratch again was kinda lost.

The 1.2 update does indeed look good, but I have had no option than to cancel my account for now, will I come back in the future? probably. But at the moment It feels odd paying for a single player game (no matter how enjoyable) with just a couple of multiplayer elements thrown in. Would this have felt different if we were not automatically assigned a server which is now empty? quite probably.

I really hope they sort this out soon!

same happend to my guild all quit at the end , i was the only left hoping for a free transfer but seems bioware is ignoring that. too late now i quit too. bah this game had power at start..

I agree that server merges/transfers is needed. As a recruitment officer, it is hard to recruit with no pool of players. At the same time i wouldn't be so rash to delete characters. :eek:

We may have been "paying beta testers" but this game is still a baby mmo. Some things were overlooked that do take time to fix or program. BW never dreamed that their servers would be that full when the game first came out. They hit the panic button and made more servers to please the masses complaining about the q times.

Hindsight is 20/20

If time could be turned back BW would surely 100% have came to the conclusion that people would have waited for q times.

Now we have to patiently wait for server merges/xfers. Not because we are being ignored, but because the program to allow it was overlooked.

BW did the only thing it could do. Allow free trials to add player base to low pops. That doesn't require programming. Unfortunately if you were a free trial player. If you liked it and went to buy the game you would probably start in a more populated zone. hence never fixing the issue.

Soooooo long story short.

They overreacted

They are trying to fix it (Xfers in May probably)

We have to be patient (yes would be nice if the xfer program was at release, it wasn't)

Re-roll a alt on a populated server if you have too... knowing in just weeks you can find them all together on a server you love

I love the game. I want server merges very badly. Its only been 4 months. MMOs that are around for a long time. You look forward a year or two..things like this become a story you tell noobs "back when i played vanilla Swtor you couldnt [insert can be improved issue here]"

Edited by Grimspiller

I love this game and, like many many others, I had been aniticipating it for years before launch. With that, I'm afraid to say that if server merges don't happen in the near future, then I'll be canceling my sub as well.

I love this game and, like many many others, I had been aniticipating it for years before launch. With that, I'm afraid to say that if server merges don't happen in the near future, then I'll be canceling my sub as well.

They aren't happening and they have no plan to introduce cross server tools yet, well otuside of PvP. It's a slap in the face to be told to re-roll after BW made this mistake.

lol i posted something on twitter about the mergers and that no one wants to re-roll since they have invested so much time into their characters. This is their response:

We appreciate your feedback! I will pass this up to our developers.

Do you guys really think one group of server merges will fix the problem? What happens when THOSE servers are light? Merge again? Then when THOSE servers are light? How many before they shut the game down?

I think Bioware needs to be less concerned about merging than WHY they are light. If they don't address that problem-and fast-no amount of "merges" are going to help.

Address THAT issue and then, maybe..just maybe...a merge will help. Otherwise, it's just delaying the inevitable.

i agree but when they are completely ignoring the problem, it doesnt help. I am losing complete faith in them

If you listen to their Podcasts and look at their Q&A they really project the image that everything is hunky dory. That kind of arrogance can be deadly. In one of their articles they said they no idea how many hours people are going to put in the game and the 3rd party research company is to blame everyone is 50 and can't find groups. They were banking on making that feature later and they thought they had more time. I don't know hwo you don't know your own market and produce a MMORPG, it scares me to be honest.

Edited by Touchbass

Just saying..id let my account go dormant, unsub, or anything besides delete. WoW, Rift, Swtor and even GW2 wasn't and wont be perfect till months after release. I cry to think how much time people spend making toons, then go hard delete them.

If you love the game..unsub till you see merges/xfers then come back.

Lastly..i hate hearing re-roll too. I have a healy sage that i wouldnt want to roll another healy sage somewhere else. That would be a slap in the face.

However being a long time "that other big mmo" player. I would ALWAYS roll another alt on another server before i xfered all my raiding toons if guild shopping.

If xfers are only 6-8 weeks away. Crosses fingers. That isnt that long of a timeframe if shopping for a good guild.

Trying to keep it positive.

BW i wont defend you much longer. YOU REALLY DO NEED TO PUT A YELLOW POST ABOUT MERGES. The dude you hired to merger forum threads is very fast. Promote him to lead Merger/Xfer programmer for in game servers. Plox and TY!

Edited by Grimspiller

If you listen to their Podcasts and look at their Q&A they really project the image that everything is hunky dory. That kind of arrogance can be deadly. In one of their articles they said they no idea how many hours people are going to put in the game and the 3rd party research company is to blame everyone is 50 and can't find groups. They were banking on making that feature later and they thought they had more time. I don't know hwo you don't know your own market and produce a MMORPG, it scares me to be honest.

It's not arrogance....the doom and gloom that people like you have been preaching is wishful thinking on your part; I know you don't believe that and I'm trying to change your mind; I will just point out that in twenty days we will have the games fourth month anniversary and you will still be here and still paying.

This post should talk about increase max population on servers too because if a server merge is going to happen (i hope so) the servers with very heavy, heavy and even standard will have queue so please increase max population :D

I was just looking at attrition numbers in our guild....its shocking. I would say 60 to 70 percent of 50s have quit this game since release. Ouch.

It sucks because all my friends and guild have mostly quit.....but i cant get in touch with any of them.......

7.30 PM PST just logged in to Zaalbar. 40 players in fleet, went to Voss grand total of 8 players (excluding me). Checked server status list and Fatman has a 15min wait. It's only going to get worse as more and more abandon dying servers to move to the populated ones.

i agree but when they are completely ignoring the problem, it doesnt help. I am losing complete faith in them

They are not ignoring the problem. They have said they will be offering server transfers after the Aussie character transfers later this month.

Besides, they have much better analytics as to what is actually happening on the servers then any of the drive by crazy allegations that land in this and "the server is dropping" thread.

In the mean time, some players are taking personal initiative and rolling new characters on servers where the population meets their needs while they await the transfer process release. And others are QQing and doom and glooming it up in the forums.

If you are too impatient to wait for the transfer process, then take a break from the game until they release it to the player base.

As for people deleting their characters.... I'll bet we see that same person back after transfers open, and he will be QQing that they won't restore his characters so he can transfer them. :rolleyes:

Just wait until 1.2 comes out and it is bugged to hell and it doesn't do anything but create more problems and then BioWare loses the last 6 guys playing the game and it has to make this single player wana be mmo game into free to play.

I like this quote. I don't even agree with it, but its worded in a way that makes me laugh.