Why do people lack creativity when creating their characters?

Majestic_Jazz

Why is it that people lack creativity when creating their characters? I understand that the options are limited, but that isn't what I am harking at. I am talking about people seemingly going the cliche or "iconic" route when making their characters.

Why is it that that vast majority of Purebloods I see all have the bright red hue for skin color? My Pureblood has a orange-ish type huge with yellow goldish eyes and pitch black hair. However, most other people with pureblood characters ALL look the same! They all have the typical red eyes, the typical bright red skin and the typical red hair. Why is this? Like I said, there is a orange/yellowish type skin tone for purebloods and there is also a burgundy type hue that nobody seems to use. Mostly everyone who creates a Pureblood goes for the typical bright red hue. Don't get me wrong, I am not by any means complaining because it only makes my Pureblood more unique because everyone else looks the same. I am just curious as to why people go this route?

Then there is the male trooper and the ever so popular use of the 3rd Body Type. Before I stopped playing my Trooper [story bored me] I used the 2nd Body Type. He wasn't skinny, but he wasn't some human brute/krogan. He was in shape but not in an exaggerated way. Even worse than mostly everyone using the bright red hue for Purebloods, is ALMOST EVERY Trooper I see when I play as my Sith Warrior and PvP is using the 3rd Body type. Even when I was playing my trooper, it seemed like 8 out of 10 male Troopers were the 3rd Body type. Every now and then you'll see the 2nd and 4th type being using a RARELY you see the 1st. Again, why is this?

Why is this? Do people lack such creativity/imagination to the point where they just go with "whats popular"? Do they just go the iconic route and make their Troopers super buff because they are.....supposed to be super buff? Do people not choose the orange/yellow or burgundy skin hues for the Purebloods because they think that it would make them look less.....pureblood?

Again, not complaining, but just curious. Are people simply afraid to be different?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I spend ages getting my character just right. Trouble is as I have ventured deeper into the dark I have become hideous. Thank goodness for the hooded cloak is all I can say. When I rest on the ship I do take off the mask for some light relief but in the field I am fast growing ever more grotesque.

I think what would be good in the game is a way to change a look to suit your play style. You can't possibly know when you start out. I have often deleted characters cus I eventually found the look that I liked.

No idea, I think people mostly just don't care for their hack'n'slash experience.

When I make a character I think about what kind of person it will be, and that influences a little bit in creation (mostly scars and other things). Although my pureblood is red, it's a little paler red (not pink), with pitch black hair and yellow eyes.... Not sure i used 3rd body-type at all, I use 2nd mostly for males.

I made my Sith Pureblood with blood red skin, bald head, and two tentacles hanging from the sides of his mouth. I did this, because i'm an avid fan of the Star Wars universe, and i'm a roleplayer. I wanted my Sith to be truly pureblood, so if he didn't look the way i described, he wouldn't be a pureblood, he would be mixed blood. I hope this helps you understand some of the thoughts behind it all ;)

I will say.. BT3 troopers look the best in their level 40 PvP armor. By like.. a lot.

That being said I agree with you OP. Everyone is a hulking neanderthal. The ridiculous part about it is the BT2 male is actually what we would think of when we think of someone who is in great shape. Tony Horton is a lot closer to BT2 than BT3.

Just because a choice is popular with a lot of people doesn't mean it wasn't a creative or imaginative idea. You're making quite the logical fallacy when you say it is.

There is no correlation between creativity and popularity.

I always give myself 5 randomizes, then I tweak, but I assume alot of people just go with the first thing the game chucks up, name themselves "Sephirothexaeerisclouud" and get to it. Edited by Vahzl

I always give myself 5 randomizes, then I tweak, but I assume alot of people just go with the first thing the game chucks up, name themselves "Sephirothexaeerisclouud" and get to it.

You know.. in my 13 years of MMOs I have never once seen a Sephiroth/Cloud/Drizzt/Legolas knockoff.

I've seen millions of terrible names but never the ones portrayed as such.

My Sith Pureblood has red skin and red eyes because I like red. They appealed the most to me when I created him (and I went through almost every option one at a time when deciding)

I'm not sure what you mean by the "3rd" body type, but if you refer to the taller, muscular one (i.e. the Arnold Schwarzenneger in his Terminator days look), yeah I like that one on the trooper I played (just to try out the class) and now on my Jedi Knight. Why? Because I want to play a guy who looks big and capable of taking on everything. My Sith has the more normal body type (in-between the short skinny one and the Arnie one).

Point being: I don't think it's so much an imitating what's popular thing as it is something that just appeals to more people.

If you like how your Sith looks, great. That color scheme isn't for me though.

You know.. in my 13 years of MMOs I have never once seen a Sephiroth/Cloud/Drizzt/Legolas knockoff.

I've seen millions of terrible names but never the ones portrayed as such.

My favorite name of all time was a Death Knight in WoW called Arthusdkdkdk and it was a guy from Denmark (they commonly put DK on the end of their names to show their country as they like to only play with other danes). That raised a chuckle, almost as much as Spehirtoth.

Edited by Vahzl

Well it could possibly be that everyone is so damn skinny in the real world they want to see their avatar look like how they imagine they want themselves to look like.

Just Saying...

It's not lack of imagination, some people would just rather be muscular. While others always have their female companions running around in the stupid slave girl outfit, even on Hoth. They really need to implement clothing restrictions on certain planets.

Hoth = Heavy coats and clothing

Quesh = Toxic planet, need gas masks of some sort.

Why is it that people lack creativity when creating their characters? I understand that the options are limited, but that isn't what I am harking at. I am talking about people seemingly going the cliche or "iconic" route when making their characters.

Why is it that that vast majority of Purebloods I see all have the bright red hue for skin color? My Pureblood has a orange-ish type huge with yellow goldish eyes and pitch black hair. However, most other people with pureblood characters ALL look the same! They all have the typical red eyes, the typical bright red skin and the typical red hair. Why is this? Like I said, there is a orange/yellowish type skin tone for purebloods and there is also a burgundy type hue that nobody seems to use. Mostly everyone who creates a Pureblood goes for the typical bright red hue. Don't get me wrong, I am not by any means complaining because it only makes my Pureblood more unique because everyone else looks the same. I am just curious as to why people go this route?

Then there is the male trooper and the ever so popular use of the 3rd Body Type. Before I stopped playing my Trooper [story bored me] I used the 2nd Body Type. He wasn't skinny, but he wasn't some human brute/krogan. He was in shape but not in an exaggerated way. Even worse than mostly everyone using the bright red hue for Purebloods, is ALMOST EVERY Trooper I see when I play as my Sith Warrior and PvP is using the 3rd Body type. Even when I was playing my trooper, it seemed like 8 out of 10 male Troopers were the 3rd Body type. Every now and then you'll see the 2nd and 4th type being using a RARELY you see the 1st. Again, why is this?

Why is this? Do people lack such creativity/imagination to the point where they just go with "whats popular"? Do they just go the iconic route and make their Troopers super buff because they are.....supposed to be super buff? Do people not choose the orange/yellow or burgundy skin hues for the Purebloods because they think that it would make them look less.....pureblood?

Again, not complaining, but just curious. Are people simply afraid to be different?

People not picking certain options because they do not like them is not a lack of creativity.

Personally I've got absolutely no problem with the character's looks. No matter how much you customise them, once they have all their armour on they all tend to be "cookie cutters" of one another.

Where I have a problem is still with the naming. Whilst running around my server last night I spy a player called "Slaphead" I dunno, I honestly thought the world had grown up but this is just one of the many stupid/sexual/innapropriate/offensive names I've seen in this game.

The only good thing about such names is that you know not to get involved with any of them, don't group etc

Because I can only assume the owners of such names are sill little immature players and in my eyes - best avoided.

I don't care so much about the looks of characters. What I do mind is that people cannot make up a name for themselfs. Often names are taken out of books/films/cartoons etc.

When not make up your own name or just pick a name you like not because it is some heroic chacter but just because you like the name.

My main character a lvl50 sniper is named Gformutorila (this has no meaning, I just liked the sound of it),

My lvl20 alt operative is named Somnium (Somnium is latin for dream or day dream).

Edit:

names that show from which country you are really suck.

VaderDK

Legolas123NL

ÄnákínCZ

etc

names like that just makes me eyes bleed.

Edited by Gformutorila

I made my Sith Pureblood with blood red skin, bald head, and two tentacles hanging from the sides of his mouth. I did this, because i'm an avid fan of the Star Wars universe, and i'm a roleplayer. I wanted my Sith to be truly pureblood, so if he didn't look the way i described, he wouldn't be a pureblood, he would be mixed blood. I hope this helps you understand some of the thoughts behind it all ;)

You do know that the Purebloods of this era are NOT 100% "pure" in regards to the original Sith species correct? This is due to the fact that most "purebloods" of this area are decendants from Sith that interbred with Humans generations ago. Also it is said that the Sith carry a wide ranges of hues from pinkish, crimson, all the way to bright red.

So this notion of Purebloods having to be all out red for lore reasons is just stupid.

Just because a choice is popular with a lot of people doesn't mean it wasn't a creative or imaginative idea. You're making quite the logical fallacy when you say it is.

There is no correlation between creativity and popularity.

I am not saying that popularity is the reason why people make these choices. I am saying that for SOME people, popularity might be the reason. For the others, I do not know. I just find it weird how 90% of Male troopers I see are the 3rd Body type and 98% of the Sith Purebloods I see all have the same bright red skin hue even though the Sith Pureblood creation gives you other hues to choose from.

Why? Because I want to play a guy who looks big and capable of taking on everything. My Sith has the more normal body type (in-between the short skinny one and the Arnie one).

Yeah, and Bruce Lee couldn't take on others because he was such a thin guy. :rolleyes:

People not picking certain options because they do not like them is not a lack of creativity.

I think this is more than people not liking a certain option.

If it happens a few times it is random, if it happens literally ALL the time, then its a pattern.

a combination of qualities, acts, tendencies, etc., forming a consistent or characteristic arrangement: the behavior patterns of teenagers.

It is a pattern that nearly all the male troopers are the 3rd Body type. It is a pattern that nearly all the purebloods are bright red.

I think it is less that people don't like certain options and more of people are just going with the option because they "believe" that this option is the "cannon" option for that class, like being all bulk for a Trooper and being bright red for a Pureblood etc....

Edited by Majestic_Jazz

Wait... you mean sometimes people make choices they like and think are nifty rather than spending seventeen hours making a backstory and character for a game they will never actually do any RPing in? Gosh... that seems almost insane.

Wait... no it doesn't.

If this game were on say... paper and using dice of multiple sides and shapes then maybe it would warrant the effort. However it isn't.

I have no issue with people that WANT to spend that much investiture in their characters but trying to act as though those of us who just wanna pew pew are somehow bad is just the usual elitist QQ and it is a little too early in the game's lifespan for that kind of drama.

Where I have a problem is still with the naming.

Bingo. There's a difference between a witty name (which I can overlook), and one that is just utterly stupid (such as "Ihaveabigbutt"). It does make it pretty obvious what the person's maturity level is, though, so you can be weary of playing with them.

And I'm always baffled by the lack of creativity in people who just use "famous" names and make a slight alteration to the spelling, such as "Luuke Skiwalker" or something like that. I can understand liking the character, but you really can't spend 5 minutes to think of a decent name?

No idea, I think people mostly just don't care for their hack'n'slash experience.

When I make a character I think about what kind of person it will be, and that influences a little bit in creation (mostly scars and other things). Although my pureblood is red, it's a little paler red (not pink), with pitch black hair and yellow eyes.... Not sure i used 3rd body-type at all, I use 2nd mostly for males.

well body type 3 and 4 are buggy as hell and get stuck alot, so any chars I had used those options got re-rolled.

To answer the OP's question though, it's mainly because most people don't really care what they look like all they care about is how 'uber' their loot is.

Bingo. There's a difference between a witty name (which I can overlook), and one that is just utterly stupid (such as "Ihaveabigbutt"). It does make it pretty obvious what the person's maturity level is, though, so you can be weary of playing with them.

And I'm always baffled by the lack of creativity in people who just use "famous" names and make a slight alteration to the spelling, such as "Luuke Skiwalker" or something like that. I can understand liking the character, but you really can't spend 5 minutes to think of a decent name?

Some names get on my nerves as well. But honestly, I can overlook even the dumbest names if only because of the mechanic behind naming in MMOs. I.E. First names have to be unique. It is a huge PITA going through 100 names just to find them all taken. So unless you are one to randomly hit key combos to try to find something that resembles a name you pretty much get screwed if you aren't one of the first people on a server. ESPECIALLY in a game that focuses on creating alts like this one.

Edited by Kendakon

It's actually difficult NOT to make characters that all look the same mate. This game is fantastibulous in most regards. But it's character creation and customization system is one of the weakest in the industry.

The mere fact you can never ever retouch your characters appearance after creation sets up very narrow options for people who want to look:

Pretty a few options

Badazz another few options

Hideous several options

And that's that.

When the game first launched, a lot of players lined up like racehorses to be the first out the gate and beat others to the quests to level faster and not fight over mobs. This happens every MMO I've played. The only thing they cared about is the class and their name (to beat others taking that name first). Some even create alts to lock down the names.

Alts later on are a different story as there is no rush to make a character and they put a lot more time into customizing their character.

For the trooper, the answer is simple -

Think Gears of War, Halo, Star Craft, etc. It seems that people have this weird expectation that futuristic infantry are huge and ripped.

Also, there needs to be a "Body Type 2.5"

Personally, I went with a 2 for my Sage.