Huttball- any changes?

Margolomania

This is going to include a little bit of me raging, but I also would like some good feedback, regardless. And please remember that these complaints are solely from my point of view. If it works great for you, then I have a question for you at the end.

As the title goes, this is about our favorite warzone, Huttball. I was trying to find past posts/threads about this, but I am constantly landing on ones that have nothing to do with it. I know they're out there... I know it. But... here I go.

Personally, I have a love/hate relationship with huttball, with 90% more hate than love. I always cringe whenever I am queued in for it. And my reasoning is, at least for me, it's too complicated to actually be fun. Here's to further explain:

1. Passing- I have a hot key for passing the ball to make it easier, but it made no difference. Being a lower leveled character, I die so quickly. There's so much involved in the process of just passing the darn ball! First, find an ally who is the optimal target for passing. Second, activate passing ability. Third, make sure you are passing it to the chosen friend. And that's IF you "see" them, e.g. they're above you, or covered in one way or another (which may not always be apparent), then you're not going to be able to. So that's an extra thing to be aware of. Now, if they're moving around 'cause they're also being attacked, then that makes it harder. So the fact that it's an area ability really ticks me off. On top of this, I'm a Republic player, so the fact that our side gets out-numbered so much means that you, being the ball carrier, are being stunned/attacked by a gazillion Imps. Before I can even pass the damn ball, I die. Or, I hurriedly pass the ball to another who's a poor choice, so the ball gets ganked nonetheless. ALL THIS just to pass the ball, which I believe should not be such a grizzly process.

2. Terrain- oooooh the terrain! Ledges that block your ability to see or pass to another player. Pits which are pretty much traps in themselves. Fire. Acid. Come on! And if you're the ball carrier, especially if you're a measly level 20-something wearing regular armor... forget it. You're gonna die. Without passing the ball. Being useless.

That's pretty much my rant. Now, I have two questions.

Does anyone know of any possible changes that may take place for this warzone? I mean, we all know that we end up playing it TOO often, so might as well make it funNER. I am not against gameplay that requires strategy and thinking... but I think Huttball could be a little bit simpler. Like maybe rid of an aspect of the terrain, like the extra pits... or for the fire areas to not be so deadly? Or maybe for the passing ability to not be an area... wherein you choose your friendly target, activate it and the pass completes?

My second question... for those who find themselves being successful players in Huttball... any tricks or strategies you guys could dish out for someone who isn't (ME)? I hear the whole "passing wins huttball" all the time, but... as I've said... not too easy bro.

I'd really like to rid myself of the anxiety I feel when I play this warzone. Yes, anxiety. That's how much I don't enjoy it. So every bit helps. Thanks! Sorry for the long thread. :p

The only change I think huttball really needs is non-ground-based targeting on pass. Since you have to ground target to pass it's basically impossible to pass to someone who's at a higher elevation than you which makes passing nearly impossible most of the time.

1) You are not lvl 50.

2) You are talking about situation on your server (there are 130 others).

3) You are playing solo.

I mean, I can feel from your post that you have little understand for this WZ itself. That's probably not unusual since not everyone is experienced rank 80+ PvPer.

But I think you will see that your opinion on this wz will change with lvl. I hated it, now Voidstar is much more worse for me. At HB you can at least influent the lenght of it...

If you would just throw to your targeted ally, it would make things so much easier, but I suppose that would break it even more. Also, THROWING THE BALL OVER THE GOAL LINE SHOULD COUNT. The announcers say the goal is to get the ball to the enemy's goal, any means necesary.

The only change I think huttball really needs is non-ground-based targeting on pass. Since you have to ground target to pass it's basically impossible to pass to someone who's at a higher elevation than you which makes passing nearly impossible most of the time.

Not true, you can pass easily. That ground thing actually works pretty well for me. Definitely beter than me finding someone's name among his looong titles and click him in ops group.

If you would just throw to your targeted ally, it would make things so much easier, but I suppose that would break it even more. Also, THROWING THE BALL OVER THE GOAL LINE SHOULD COUNT. The announcers say the goal is to get the ball to the enemy's goal, any means necesary.

No, actually biggest flaw of current HB is SW's ability to jump to goal line onto their stealthed friend.

You cant pass to someone how is stealthed, but you can leap to him, that's basicaly the same - 30m range, with ball.

1) You are not lvl 50.

2) You are talking about situation on your server (there are 130 others).

3) You are playing solo.

I mean, I can feel from your post that you have little understand for this WZ itself. That's probably not unusual since not everyone is experienced rank 80+ PvPer.

But I think you will see that your opinion on this wz will change with lvl. I hated it, now Voidstar is much more worse for me. At HB you can at least influent the lenght of it...

my response...

1. Why do I need to be level 50 to enjoy a warzone? It shouldn't be. I was actually excited when I first heard about huttball, but seeing how it destroys my non-lvl 50 character and I serve close to nothing purpose on it, makes it so undesirable to play. Even for someone in a lower level.

2. The situation of more Imps than Reps, I believe, is an issue for the whole game, not just my server... if that's what you meant by it.

3. I actually get overly pissed when people play solo in warzones. I, on the other hand, do not. Believe me, I yell "make sure someone's ahead of a player so we can complete passes" or try to come up with other strategies, it unfortunately doesn't always go because it depends solely on the random players you are in a team with. Unless you're a premade.

Or if you're lucky, you land a good team, but then there's all the other issues.

I feel like the only way to enjoy this warzone is if you study it. Memorize areas. Keep a back up strategy for yourself in case your team just wants to farm kills. Etc. ...which in my opinion is too much for a single warzone that is supposed to be fun. Not stressful.... /sigh. With that said though, I do hope you're right that it gets better as I level. I actually really enjoy Voidstar :D I do very well in that and Civil War. Which is why I get angry with huttball, I guess... because it makes me not enjoy pvp in some level.

On my server it's about 60:40 popultion wise, there are few servers where are reps very dominant.

Huttball needs basicaly you to focus on objectives more than in other two wzs. I often witn 6:0 HB in 6 mins with 2 medals only, and enemy team has mostly more medals overall. There are planty of tricks for every class in HB, positioning, using the "right" skills like, roots pushbacks, pulls...

After all it's very interesting wz but obivously - and sadly - also the most composition dependable one.

1. Passing- I have a hot key for passing the ball to make it easier, but it made no difference. Being a lower leveled character, I die so quickly.

You are aware that your HP and your damage gets scaled to Top-Level?

Meaning you should roughly have the same HP and damage/heal output to other players if your gear level is on par with your actual level.

Only significant difference is that higher level characters may have additional skills and more talent points in their skill specs.

There's so much involved in the process of just passing the darn ball! First, find an ally who is the optimal target for passing. Second, activate passing ability. Third, make sure you are passing it to the chosen friend. And that's IF you "see" them, e.g. they're above you, or covered in one way or another (which may not always be apparent), then you're not going to be able to. So that's an extra thing to be aware of. Now, if they're moving around 'cause they're also being attacked, then that makes it harder. So the fact that it's an area ability really ticks me off.

Basically l2play. I really like the passing system as it allows things like intercepting the ball and supports real team play (meaning the receiving player must also think and participate)

On top of this, I'm a Republic player, so the fact that our side gets out-numbered so much means that you, being the ball carrier, are being stunned/attacked by a gazillion Imps. Before I can even pass the damn ball, I die.

Its a warzone, each team has the same amount of players...

Does anyone know of any possible changes that may take place for this warzone? I mean, we all know that we end up playing it TOO often, so might as well make it funNER.

Huh? First you are saying on your server are more imperials than republicans and now you end up playing it too much being a republican?

Doesnt make sense, the bigger faction actually plays HB much more often because its the only warzone currently supporting 2 teams of the same faction.

My second question... for those who find themselves being successful players in Huttball... any tricks or strategies you guys could dish out for someone who isn't (ME)? I hear the whole "passing wins huttball" all the time, but... as I've said... not too easy bro.

Learn2play, especially learn to pass.

Dont destroy HB by taking out complexity, a lot of players are enjoying challenges.

I hope BW manages cross-server warzones and opting-in or -out for specific warzones (so you can choose not to play HB) soon enough before they give in to players like you whining about how "hard" HB is.

Edited by Scotsh

Making commando's/mercs an actual valued asset to huttball wouldnt be a bad idea either.

Now it's more like: oh, we have like 4 commando's, we'll probably lose

:/

Does everyone foget the new warzone we are getting?The fact that voidstar will be imp vs imp now?With 1.2 you will lucky if you even see a huttball match.

The only problem with huttball imo is that the medals aren't awarded based on what really affects the outcome of the game. If I focus entirely on supporting (rescues, bubbles, ball carrying, getting ball from mid, I easily finish the game with under 4 medals. There should absolutely be medals in this game based things like scores, completed passes, getting ball from mid, taking out ball carrier, interceptions. Make them relevant to the game. It's irritating watching some player that sat back farming kills doing nothing to help win get the MVP votes simply because they racked up a high damage/kill count.

MVP votes are another story altogether and I am not sure you how fix that. They have become a joke now as well since people basically just trade votes with their guildies and group members. If you are queuing solo, good luck getting votes regardless of your performance.

Does everyone foget the new warzone we are getting?The fact that voidstar will be imp vs imp now?With 1.2 you will lucky if you even see a huttball match.

Well yeah, but that doesn't really make up for merc/commando's almost complete lack of usability in huttball, it just makes it annoying less times per day lol

I think targeting a player and clicking the throw button and having the same mechanic there is now, just with the ball target appearing at the foot of your target instead of wherever you drop your ground target would make it a lot easier to pass the ball. Is easier better? Maybe... I can't tell you how many times I click throw, click the ground (with a red target while not stunned) and the ball simply does not pass. Having a single click throw the ball would alleviate that one issue. Also if you know beforehand who your passing target is, you can set them up as a focus and use a focus hotkey to throw them the ball without losing your enemy targets.

The bad part about that is you can't lead your targets at all. Which would suck.. So I guess it's fine how it is.

Edited by Semitote

Dear OP, I think you may find this thread very informative:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=378490

Besides that I would like to point some things in your complaints:

1. As some previous poster mentioned, this is a warzone, 8v8. Even if in titatal poplation imps outnumber reps 1000:1, it will be still 8v8.

2. 10-49 bracket is a place where any kind of strategy and coordination is basicaly non-existant. It happens sometimes, but very rarely. And huttball is very strategy and coordination dependant.

3. Imp on servers with pop inbalance play mostly huttball. Even if we remember about point 2, they still have more experience in that WZ (ie. are better accustomed to passing ball mechanic and know that this game is about scoring points, not team death match).

4. Passing should be a rather difficult thing (yes, it annoys me too, but I think it is neccessary) - otherwise passing chains would lead to very quick scores and boring games.

5. You have to practice with ground AOEs, try to play character that uses a lot of them, it will help you with targeting passes.

The only problem with huttball imo is that the medals aren't awarded based on what really affects the outcome of the game. If I focus entirely on supporting (rescues, bubbles, ball carrying, getting ball from mid, I easily finish the game with under 4 medals. There should absolutely be medals in this game based things like scores, completed passes, getting ball from mid, taking out ball carrier, interceptions. Make them relevant to the game. It's irritating watching some player that sat back farming kills doing nothing to help win get the MVP votes simply because they racked up a high damage/kill count.

MVP votes are another story altogether and I am not sure you how fix that. They have become a joke now as well since people basically just trade votes with their guildies and group members. If you are queuing solo, good luck getting votes regardless of your performance.

This needs to be added to the game. More people would play huttball as it should be if you got medals for scores, completed passes, getting ball from mid, taking out ball carrier, interceptions.

Problems in huttball are mainly due to the crap engine : positioning , people teleporting etc.

If you want to pass to someone who is on a ledge higher than you, simply aim the target at the ledge right below the player's feet.

If you are throwing to someone who is moving around, that person needs to have just a little bit of situational awareness. If they can't see that giant, pulsing blue circle around their immediate vicinity then it's not your fault you're playing with total derps.

This needs to be added to the game. More people would play huttball as it should be if you got medals for scores, completed passes, getting ball from mid, taking out ball carrier, interceptions.

I don't know the specifics of what the medals will be awarded for, but 1.2 apparently has a bunch of new wz medals you get that relate to wz objectives.

You are aware that your HP and your damage gets scaled to Top-Level?

Meaning you should roughly have the same HP and damage/heal output to other players if your gear level is on par with your actual level.

Only significant difference is that higher level characters may have additional skills and more talent points in their skill specs.

Basically l2play. I really like the passing system as it allows things like intercepting the ball and supports real team play (meaning the receiving player must also think and participate)

Its a warzone, each team has the same amount of players...

Huh? First you are saying on your server are more imperials than republicans and now you end up playing it too much being a republican?

Doesnt make sense, the bigger faction actually plays HB much more often because its the only warzone currently supporting 2 teams of the same faction.

Learn2play, especially learn to pass.

Dont destroy HB by taking out complexity, a lot of players are enjoying challenges.

I hope BW manages cross-server warzones and opting-in or -out for specific warzones (so you can choose not to play HB) soon enough before they give in to players like you whining about how "hard" HB is.

/SIIIIGH I made the post to get information, solely. Yes, there's the rant part. But I haven't made a serious attempt at trying to change huttball. As the first paragraph states, these are just from my experiences. If you feel the same, then I don't feel as stupid. If you don't, then cool too... give me some tips! I appreciate the other feedback. But seriously, try not to be a douchebag when you're sharing your views. It's ineffective. I'll go ahead and ignore you now.

Edited by Margolomania

Dear OP, I think you may find this thread very informative:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=378490

Besides that I would like to point some things in your complaints:

1. As some previous poster mentioned, this is a warzone, 8v8. Even if in titatal poplation imps outnumber reps 1000:1, it will be still 8v8.

2. 10-49 bracket is a place where any kind of strategy and coordination is basicaly non-existant. It happens sometimes, but very rarely. And huttball is very strategy and coordination dependant.

3. Imp on servers with pop inbalance play mostly huttball. Even if we remember about point 2, they still have more experience in that WZ (ie. are better accustomed to passing ball mechanic and know that this game is about scoring points, not team death match).

4. Passing should be a rather difficult thing (yes, it annoys me too, but I think it is neccessary) - otherwise passing chains would lead to very quick scores and boring games.

5. You have to practice with ground AOEs, try to play character that uses a lot of them, it will help you with targeting passes.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, trying to do better with the passing but something really just doesn't work for me. With more practice, hopefully.

change your camera pan distance, scroll back, flip the camera vertical, win