Armor Design Competition

LDucheMagnifico

Definitely, I've seen a few awesome creations on DA posted around the forums and would love to see what the design team can come up against head to head.

The thing is I think they know they look ridiculous, because in most of the trailers and media materials there are no black sabers, no massive shoulders and no ridiculous hats. just the good old traditional robes and colours.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, conspiracy theory time. :rolleyes:

The beta armor is being saved to sell in the item shop when the game goes free to play or the hybrid item shop model (like AoC). Thus why all the ugly armor that they “give” us, so we want to buy the nice items. Seems they devs really are Sith.

Edited by TOGFelix

The beta armor is being saved to sell in the item shop when the game goes free to play or the hybrid item shop model (like AoC). Thus why all the ugly armor that they “give” us, so we want to buy the nice items. Seems they devs really are Sith.

Nahhhhh, they wouldn't do that. Even Pay2Win games like Vindictus don't sell armors. I sure as hell wouldn't buy them. And the few people that would buy them won't be able to support the game's funding.

In any case, I will do my best to keep this idea/issue promoted as it will be one of the few major limiting factors in the game after 1.2 is out.

Good looking armor and a proper LFG system. You can do it, Bioware! I know you can!

Because if you don't, TERA and GW2 have excellent visual designs. :p

Edited by ContaT

You're not the only one coming up with this idea. I have a feeling it might actually be so and if that is the case then the devs must be laughing maniacally at us when reading those threads. :rolleyes:

You're not the only one coming up with this idea. I have a feeling it might actually be so and if that is the case then the devs must be laughing maniacally at us when reading those threads. :rolleyes:

EA may be a band of seemingly slow individuals, but they understand the relationship between p2w and p2p and how they must keep separated. Cash shops are the devil. Anyone who has ever played a subscription MMO vs. a P2W MMO knows this. I don't see a company like EA resulting to such a brash way to get money from players. The only form of cash shop that would benefit in a game like SWTOR would be one that offered more character personalization. Granted, the game should have more customization readily available, but, with the games that I've played that had cash shops, aesthetics are the most intriguing part of them. Anything that offers an advantage over non-cash shop users is a one-way path to failure. P2W games have shorts lives.

Edited by ContaT

I don't know about the "us vs them" aspect of it, but a design competition is a good thing. EVE does this for starships every once in a while.

You don't want it as "us vs. them" but you're for the idea of competition? I'm not following your criticism.

Regardless, it isn't really "us vs. them" to begin with. Armors are one of the few aspects of the game that change both dynamically and constantly without much input from the community. Even a single contest could show the devs what we are looking for and Bioware can go from there.

Honestly, as far as character design, I think bioware is really conflicted about keeping things star wars and exercising their creativity. Unfortunately, the result is me grumbling to myself that I don't look enough like Darth Vader or Boba Fett.

/signed.

Hopefully this doesn't end up in a lawsuit.

EA may be a band of seemingly slow individuals, but they understand the relationship between p2w and p2p and how they must keep separated. Cash shops are the devil. Anyone who has ever played a subscription MMO vs. a P2W MMO knows this. I don't see a company like EA resulting to such a brash way to get money from players. The only form of cash shop that would benefit in a game like SWTOR would be one that offered more character personalization. Granted, the game should have more customization readily available, but, with the games that I've played that had cash shops, aesthetics are the most intriguing part of them. Anything that offers an advantage over non-cash shop users is a one-way path to failure. P2W games have shorts lives.

The way I thought about it, it was just about making new skins available through the cash shop, not changing the game from p2p to p2w. I think they might be saving them to offer them as orange items, empty shells with no stats. It would all be about aesthetics and thus, would probably be popular. I have nothing to back up this idea of course, just that it crossed my mind a few times and apparently I'm not the only one. :p

Anyway, back on topic, I hope this thread will grow popular enough so that Bioware will have to take notice and think about having design contests. :rolleyes:

If only the TOR community had more players like the OP that actually bring genuine ideas to the table. This is a very commendable thread and I support it 100%, thus the bump. Anything that the devs can do to involve the community to generate positive feedback is a fantastic idea. I know there are some truly artistic, dedicated fans out there that would rise to this challenge if was presented to them.

Thanks OP for yielding a constructive thread on these ugly, ugly forums.

If only the TOR community had more players like the OP that actually bring genuine ideas to the table. This is a very commendable thread and I support it 100%, thus the bump. Anything that the devs can do to involve the community to generate positive feedback is a fantastic idea. I know there are some truly artistic, dedicated fans out there that would rise to this challenge if was presented to them.

Thanks OP for yielding a constructive thread on these ugly, ugly forums.

Absolutely, I have seen some fan-made designs here that are incredible and would fit perfectly in TOR. I think this is 100% a great idea all the way around.